As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Tabletop Tournaments (Board Games/Card Games/CCGs/Miniatures)

LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop TournamentsRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Hi everyone!

I'm pleased to present the PAX Prime 2012 Tabletop Tournament Schedule!

I will be adding in more details about each of the tournaments soon. In general though, many of the tournaments will start with the base game in the first round, with expansions added as the tournament goes on.

UPDATE: Descriptions and details of our tournaments can be found in the Tabletop Event Schedule

Feel free to respond if anything below is exciting to you, or if you have any questions.

Friday

10:00 am - 6:00 pm Pokemon - Learn to Play (20 Min Sessions)
11:00 am – 2:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Structure Deck ($10 Entry Fee)
11:00 am - 2:00 pm Pokemon - Theme Deck Challenge ($10 Entry Fee)
11:00 am – 3:30 pm Small World
11:00 am - 4:00 pm Puzzle Strike (2nd Edition)
11:30 am – 2:30 pm Ticket to Ride – Qualifier Block A *
12:00 pm – 2:00 pm Dominion – Qualifier Block A *
12:00 pm – 4:00 pm Warmachine/Hordes Intro Tourney (25 pt Army)
12:30 pm – 3:30 pm Quarriors
2:00 pm – 6:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Structure Deck ($10 Entry Fee)
2:00 pm - 6:00 pm Pokemon - Unlimited Format
2:30 pm – 8:00 pm Settlers of Catan – Qualifier Block A *
3:00 pm – 9:00 pm Paint the Line – The Volley of the Kings
4:00 pm – 7:00 pm Race for the Galaxy – Qualifier Block A *
4:30 pm – 7:30 pm 7 Wonders – Qualifier Block A *
6:00 pm – 10:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Traditional Format Decks Only
6:00 pm – 10:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Advanced Format Decks Only
6:00 pm – 10:00 pm Mage Wars Prime (120 pt Spellbook)
6:00 pm – 10:00 pm Warhammer 40k Intro Tourney (500 pt Army)

Saturday

10:00 am - 6:00 pm Pokemon - Learn to Play (20 Min Sessions)
10:30 am – 2:30 pm Warmachine/Hordes Intro Tourney (25 pt Army)
10:30 am – 4:00 pm Settlers of Catan – Qualifier Block B *
11:00 am – 1:00 pm Flash Duel
11:00 am – 2:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Structure Deck ($10 Entry Fee)
11:00 am - 2:00 pm Pokemon - Unlimited Tournament
11:30 am – 2:30 pm Race for the Galaxy – Qualifier Block B *
12:00 pm – 6:00 pm Munchkin Munchcathlon
12:30 pm – 3:30 pm 7 Wonders – Qualifier Block B *
1:30 pm – 5:30 pm Yomi
2:00 pm - 6:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Structure Deck ($10 Entry Fee)
2:00 pm - 6:00 pm Pokemon - Theme Deck Challenge ($10 Entry Fee)
3:00 pm – 6:00 pm Ticket to Ride – Qualifier Block B *
3:00 pm – 7:00 pm Infinity Intro Tourney (150 pt Army)
4:00 pm – 6:00 pm Dominion – Qualifier Block B *
5:00 pm – 6:00 pm Zombie Dice
6:00 pm – 10:00 pm Mage Wars Prime (120 pt Spellbook)
6:00 pm – 10:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Advanced Format Decks Only
60:00 pm - 10:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Traditional Format Decks Only
8:00 pm – 12:00 am Dragon Dice
8:00 pm – 12:00 am Warhammer 40k Intro Tourney (500 pt Army)
9:00 pm – 1:00 am Saturday Night Showdown

Sunday

10:00 am - 6:00 pm Pokemon - Learn to Play (20 Min Session)
10:30 am – 2:30 pm Malifaux Intro Tourney (25 Soulstone Crews)
10:30 am – 3:30 pm Carcassonne
10:30 am – 5:00 pm Robo Rally Cannonball Run
11:00 am – 1:30 pm Race For The Galaxy – Finals
11:00 am - 2:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Structure Deck ($10 Entry Fee)
11:00 am - 3:00 pm Pokemon - Modified Tournament
11:30 am – 14:30 pm Ticket to Ride – Finals
12:00 pm – 5:30 pm Settlers of Catan – Finals
2:00 pm – 5:00 pm Dominion – Finals
2:00 pm - 6:00 pm Yu Gi Oh - Pegasus Challenge (Same Rarity/Unrestricted Deck)
3:00 pm – 5:00 pm 7 Wonders – Finals
3:00 pm - 6:00 pm Pokemon - Unlimited 8-Player Pick Up
4:00 pm – 5:00 pm Tsuro

* Top players from Qualifiers A and B advance to Finals on Sunday

NEW INFO: (Added 8/21)

The RPGA is holding a couple of tournaments in the lower level of the WSCC Conference Center "Annex"

Lords of Waterdeep Tournament - 2 Hours/Round
Entry Rounds – Fri: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Sat: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, and 9pm
Semi-Finals – Sun 11 am
Finals – Sun 1 pm

Dungeon Command Open Tournament
Sun 11am-3pm Fee: $20

More details at the RPGA's mini-site:
https://sites.google.com/site/ddatpaxprime/

Cryptozoic is holding numerous World of Warcraft TCG tournament events, along with tournaments of some of their board games (Locke & Key, Epic Spell Wars, and Penny Arcade: The Game deckbuilder). Full info is available at:
http://wowtcg.cryptozoic.com/sites/default/files/pax_prime_event_schedule_v1.pdf

Magic the Gathering tournament info:
http://www.cascadegames.com/events/923

Let me know if you have any questions, and check this thread regularly as PAX approaches, for more specifics about these events.

Regards,
Lackey
PAX Prime Tabletop Deputy Manager - Tournaments

Moe Fwacky on

• DeliveratorDeliverator Registered User regular
    I have a question about the Warhammer 40k Intro Tourneys. Will this be using 5th or 6th edition?

• CodeMonkey76CodeMonkey76 Software Developer Orem, UTRegistered User regular
    About the Dominion tournament, which expansions, if any, will they be using?

How will the signup process work?

• LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Deliverator: I just confirmed with our Mini's Deputy Manager. We're gonna use 6th edition! We're also trying to have loaner armies available for people who don't have their own army to use.

CodeMonkey76: The Qualifiers will be using predetermined Kingdom card sets from Base Dominion and Intrigue only (which will be posted on-site at the signup station as soon as PAX opens Friday morning). The Finals will be using a mix of newer expansions, but the Kingdom sets won't be made public prior to each round of the Finals. There *is* a chance we'll be using Dark Ages during the Final rounds...

Other games will work in a similar fashion. Qualifying rounds will use the initial release and first expansion of a game, and the finals will use newer expansions.

For example, in Race for the Galaxy, the Qualifier Blocks will each have room for 30 participants, and will be 3 rounds of Swiss play. All 3 rounds will use both the base and Gathering Storm cards. The Top 6 players from each Qualifier will advance to the Finals on Sunday, which will use additional expansion sets.

Details similar to this for all of the tournaments will be added here soon.

As for the Signup process -- in brief, signups will be done onsite, at a Signup kiosk set up in our Tournaments area. The first tournament Friday morning begins at 11:00, so you will have a half hour after PAX opens to make a beeline to Tournaments if you want to participate in one of the 10:30 events. For Saturday and Sunday tournaments, signup sheets will be made available on the prior evening, after EXPO Hall closes. A portion of the signup slots will be reserved for signup on Saturday or Sunday morning, to give 1-day attendees a chance to participate.

Lackey on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    EDIT: Never mind, found the proper thread, sorry for the junk post.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Any news if there will be a Game of thrones LCG tourney running?

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Tar3820Tar3820 The One and Only Sunnyvale, CARegistered User regular
    Oooooh snap! Time to get some practice in.

PRIME 2012: 3-day Pass [X] Hotel [X] Plane Tickets [X] Buttons [X] VacationTime [X]
    !Ravenclaw Deatheaters, represent!
  • JnevermoreJnevermore Registered User regular
    What are the details for the warmachine/hordes intro tournament. it would be my first warmachine tournament

• WoteWote TableTop Bowler Hat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Hello all, I'm Enforcer Wote, and I'm organizing the miniatures tournaments.

Jnevermore: The Warmachine/Hordes Intro Tournament is geared for new or inexperienced players to get a feel for tournament play. Bring a 25 point army if you can, we'll have a handful of loaners if you can't.

• Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    I will be bringing a 500 point BA army for WH40k

• TainInfernusTainInfernus Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    Is there any word on the WoTC PAX D&D game with Acquisitions Inc.?

TainInfernus on
  • sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    ok they have different types listed for tournaments like structure and traditional what does each mean? Does traditional mean i could use my ban list deck?

sarge1445 on
    I AM THE VAMPIRE
  • deadwing34deadwing34 Registered User regular
    In regards to the WH40k tournament, are you accepting people that have no experience playing before?

sarge1445 wrote: »
    ok they have different types listed for tournaments like structure and traditional what does each mean? Does traditional mean i could use my ban list deck?

Here are links to the specifics of each of the Yu-Gi-Oh formats:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Traditional_Format
    http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Format
    http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Structure_Deck
    Structure Decks require purchasing a deck at the start of the tournament - which you will get to keep after the tournament end.

• sarge1445sarge1445 Registered User regular
    Lackey wrote: »
    sarge1445 wrote: »

Here are links to the specifics of each of the Yu-Gi-Oh formats:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Traditional_Format
    http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Advanced_Format
    http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Structure_Deck
    Structure Decks require purchasing a deck at the start of the tournament - which you will get to keep after the tournament end.
    ohh dude structure deck tournaments sound fucking awesome.

I AM THE VAMPIRE
    I will be bringing my Dark Eldar army to use for the Warhammer 40k tourney.

Do you need to sign up in advance for this? Also, there are two times listed for it, one on Friday and one on Saturday. Are these two separate tournaments, or will we be expected to attend both?

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    40k at 500pts is going to make for some absurdly weird and short games

• GrinnialVexGrinnialVex Registered User new member
    Yes! I want to bring out my orks for some 40k. Any additional restrictions besides the points? FOC changes, limits on high armor vehicles, high wound characters, or any of that sort of thing?

I will be bringing a 500 point BA army for WH40k
    Awesome! Remember that this is a beginning/introductory tournament, so don't expect fierce competition, and if you've got some experience with the game you might end up helping your opponent out a bit if they're new.
    deadwing34 wrote: »
    In regards to the WH40k tournament, are you accepting people that have no experience playing before?
    We'll be doing demos which might be a better start if you have absolutely no experience, but we won't turn folks away. Just be ready to hit the ground running, try to read up on the current rules before you come. We'll have at least one expert on hand to help folks through.
    I will be bringing my Dark Eldar army to use for the Warhammer 40k tourney.

Do you need to sign up in advance for this? Also, there are two times listed for it, one on Friday and one on Saturday. Are these two separate tournaments, or will we be expected to attend both?
    Great! We'll have signup sheets in the tournament area as we open Friday, come sign up as soon as you can. Each tournament is independent, but since we've got so few slots it'd be awesome to share the space around unless it is clear there are unfilled spots.
    40k at 500pts is going to make for some absurdly weird and short games
    That's the idea! We're getting folks started and gauging interest in this sort of thing on a larger scale for future PAX events. Besides, who doesn't love fast and absurd games?
    Yes! I want to bring out my orks for some 40k. Any additional restrictions besides the points? FOC changes, limits on high armor vehicles, high wound characters, or any of that sort of thing?
    Excellent! No special restrictions, standard FOC. Be ready for an awesome time, and remember that these aren't seriously competitive events.

I'm a bit concerned about the registration then, since I won't be there first thing on Friday, and this is a giant gamer convention full of people who would probably be interested in this.

I know there is a bunch of tabletop freeplay stuff going on, will there be anything like that for 40k for people who want to play but couldn't do the tournament?

• bPhimmasonebPhimmasone Registered User new member
    I am an avid Yu-Gi-Oh player/duelist (frequently go to a local card shop). I also am a certified judge at the regional level. What other information is there for the tournaments? I have never participated in one at PAX so I just curious. Will there be any help needed in judging or keeping track of things? If there is anything I could do to help I would love to. What are the prize breakdowns? These are just a few questions I had in mind. If it's too much too ask on the thread feel free to PM me.

Thanks for your time!

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    I'm a bit concerned about the registration then, since I won't be there first thing on Friday, and this is a giant gamer convention full of people who would probably be interested in this.

I know there is a bunch of tabletop freeplay stuff going on, will there be anything like that for 40k for people who want to play but couldn't do the tournament?

I remember at PAX East that when they weren't running tournaments, some of the 40k setups were allowing friendly matches, but I'm not sure what the plan is for Prime.

• blissfulnoiseblissfulnoise Registered User new member
    I don't see any Heroclix on the agenda, I know GenCon is the big HeroClix venue, but PAX is my preferred convention in August. Any chance of getting it added and, if not, any interest in freeplay?

• deadwing34deadwing34 Registered User regular
    In regards to the WH40K demo's will those be going on all day in the tabletop freeplay area?

I understand your concerns, and wish you luck getting a slot at one of the tournaments. We'll have a lot of space available for freeplay, but I'm not sure if we're setting up ant 4' wide ones yet. I'll check into that.
    deadwing34 wrote: »
    In regards to the WH40K demo's will those be going on all day in the tabletop freeplay area?

The demos will be happening in the same area as the tournaments. Next year this might change, but for now the minis area is all in one place.

• bca360bca360 Registered User new member
    In Sunday's Yu Gi Oh Pegasus Challenge, are we to assume this is a same rarity / Traditional Format tournament? Thanks!

I don't see any Heroclix on the agenda, I know GenCon is the big HeroClix venue, but PAX is my preferred convention in August. Any chance of getting it added and, if not, any interest in freeplay?

I'm sorry I almost missed this. We don't have the space to arrange for any Heroclix this year, but I'll definitely keep it in mind for next time around. Clix is something I'd love to get into the program. If I recall it tends to use a fairly small battlemap right? Freeplay tables are open game. :)

So I can offer the tournament tables when they're not being used, but we won't be able to offer a dedicated miniatures freeplay area this year.

• S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    So no Mechwarrior Clix? or Battletech? :(

hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    bca360 wrote: »
    In Sunday's Yu Gi Oh Pegasus Challenge, are we to assume this is a same rarity / Traditional Format tournament? Thanks!

I'm curious about what the Pegasus Challenge is too.

And the Traditional Tournaments couldn't be at any worse times for me... (Mario Kart DS Tournament on Friday, Cards Against Humanity panel on Saturday...). I'd love to bring back my old school deck from 2006 (pre-ban list), so I'm really hoping I get to play with it at some point.

I'm working to get more details on all of the Yu-Gi-Oh events. Stay tuned!

edited August 2012
    S2000Gan wrote: »
    So no Mechwarrior Clix? or Battletech? :(

Not as structured tournaments, not this time, no. But you're welcome to bring your 'clix of any variety and set up on any of the Freeplay tables, or on the Tournament tables when there is no tournament scheduled (evenings are your best bet for this). Just be prepared to bring two (or more) armies and offer one to an interested attendee - as we do not have plans to keep any loaner 'Clix armies in our PAX-run lending libraries.

Keep an eye out for Catalyst Game Labs though, they'll be demoing the latest Battletech wares in the WSCC, Room 213. More info is at:
    http://www.catalystgamelabs.com/2012/07/30/catalyst-game-labs-harebrained-schemes-attending-pax-prime-2012/

Lackey on
  • grungeboxgrungebox Registered User regular
    Weren't there more Euro game tourneys last year, like Puerto Rico and Agricola? I didn't compete, but I remember seeing them listed. Are those possibly being added?

Quail is just hipster chicken
  • bca360bca360 Registered User new member
    Lackey wrote: »
    I'm working to get more details on all of the Yu-Gi-Oh events. Stay tuned!

Thanks!

grungebox wrote: »
    Weren't there more Euro game tourneys last year, like Puerto Rico and Agricola? I didn't compete, but I remember seeing them listed. Are those possibly being added?

We're giving Puerto Rico, Power Grid and Agricola a rest from Tournaments for this PAX. They may return at future PAXes as tournaments, and they'll certainly be available for checkout in our Tabletop Freeplay libraries.

• JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Magic has their schedule up on their website now.

Event and Tournament Info
    Magic at PAX Prime 2012

I haven't really played any tabletop games in a while. Anyone have any suggestions of what games to give a chance at while at PAX this year?

Jindrax on
  • mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    500 pts for a 40k tourney? Ouch, that's rough on both my Templars and my Tau. Expensive HQs are expensive. Oh well, might as well give it a go with my Tau.

Really a shame that we can't get a Fantasy tourney going, though. 1000pts of Fantasy is good times.

mostlyharmless on
    Also, where are these tournaments taking place? The schedule has the location as "tabletop", which is less than helpful (unless I'm blind and am just missing something?).

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Also, where are these tournaments taking place? The schedule has the location as "tabletop", which is less than helpful (unless I'm blind and am just missing something?).

Once the map is released, the locations of things should be a lot more obvious.

edited August 2012
    zerzhul wrote: »

Once the map is released, the locations of things should be a lot more obvious.

Zerzhul's right, the map will have more info. But since it's listed on the back of everyone's badge, and badges have been mailed out, I can talk about it (and update the OP).

Tabletop once again will ooze into all available spaces of PAX that it can. In addition to our traditional spaces in the WSCC, and the bottom floors of the "annex" Conference Center across the street, Tabletop is *ALSO* going to have a large presence at the Red Lion Hotel on 5th Ave. That's the hotel above the Elephant and Castle restaurant.

All of the Tournaments listed above, along with a 2nd Tabletop Freeplay lending library, additional Freeplay tables, the Tabletop Theater, and some exhibitors and vendors, will be at the Red Lion. Tournaments will be in the Emerald Ballroom. WotC, Cryptozoic, and other exhibitor-run activities will be listed when the World Map comes out.

Lackey on
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I would very, very seriously consider outright banning Fliers and Monstrous Creatures for 40k, or requiring some kind of list approval for the tournament. The guy who brings a couple of Night Scythes or Tervignons will pretty much ensure that the other guy has an autoloss and a crappy time, and both of those are pretty common elements of those lists.

This discussion has been closed.