As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency: The Once and Future Elections Thread

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Preacher wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    “We think we are going to have a safe and successful convention,” Davis said. “The local police and Secret Service will make sure of that.”

I'm sure the Secret Service loves an "anyone can have a gun" policy at the convention.

But you can't have it inside the building.

First of all, that's a moot point, because people have to enter and exit the building.

Second, while the ploy is to show support for second amendment rights, by banning sign posts they are stomping all over first amendment rights. DERP DERP DERP I hate the Republican party so much.

Henroid on
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Perhaps something about the Greek Olympics going badly because they were government supported?
    spool32 wrote: »
    "I'm already against the next war" is a bumper sticker I see.

This is in the top 5 dumbest sentiments to be found on the fringe left, and I think it kinda is something they should be ashamed of thinking.

Statistically speaking, they're in the right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7cry-4pyy8

Yes, I just wanted an excuse to post that video.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    “We think we are going to have a safe and successful convention,” Davis said. “The local police and Secret Service will make sure of that.”

I'm sure the Secret Service loves an "anyone can have a gun" policy at the convention.

But you can't have it inside the building.

First of all, that's a moot point, because people have to enter and exit the building.

Second, while the ploy is to show support for second amendment rights, by banning sign posts they are stomping all over first amendment rights. DERP DERP DERP I hate the Republican party so much.

They should just put everyone in free speech zones

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I was going to say "welcome back Syphon!" and then you kinda went and used a phrase I foam at the mouth over. Pistols at dawn, sir. (welcome back <3)

By the way, I'm not going to resurrect that side-track from a couple pages ago, but I find myself agreeing wholly with spool for once unconditionally. That's fucked up.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    I was going to say "welcome back Syphon!" and then you kinda went and used a phrase I foam at the mouth over. Pistols at dawn, sir. (welcome back <3)

By the way, I'm not going to resurrect that side-track from a couple pages ago, but I find myself agreeing wholly with spool for once unconditionally. That's fucked up.
    Why do you hate free speech and America?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    Guys guys I figured it out.

Romney is vying to replace Joe Biden.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    KruiteKruite Registered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Why do you hate free speech and America Jesus?

• Options

But that's like no contest. Biden will whoop his ass from hell to breakfast.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

That's insulting to Biden on all kinds of levels.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    http://crooksandliars.com/karoli/mitt-romney-just-made-rush-limbaughs-head-e

Pro-Obama Super PAC says: "Thanks to Bain layoffs of steelworkers and a resulting loss of decent health insurance, this man's wife died of cancer."

Romney campaign aide: "They should have moved to Massachusetts - due to Romney's health care reform and all the great stuff in it that Romney implemented, she would have been able to afford insurance!"

Wingnuts: "BNAARG! FGAAHRK! GNNNNNNNNNAAAAAAARRRGBL!!!!!!"

THEY ARE SO BAD AT THIS. THEY - ARE - SO - BAD - AT - THIS.

Absalon on
  • Options
    I heard that Super PAC ad this morning on the Stern Show during the news, it was REALLY brutal. I know I've said to fight fire with fire if one party is going to fight dirty but that ad is really odd even for me. But if the husband is okay with it, then that's what matters.

That said, I wasn't expecting the Romney campaign to respond to it with anything other than, "That's dirty fighting" type stuff. Holy smokes.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Now you might be asking, since this all went down yesterday, what is the Romney campaign doing? Has the Romney campaign responded?

Yes, they have.

The Romney campaign responded this morning on Fox. Off the top of your head, what do you think the Romney campaign said about it?

Well, I'm gonna tell you. I have the story here from Mediaite and the headline says it all.

Romney spokesperson: "That woman would have had health care under Romneycare." That's the reaction.

Appearing on Fox News with Bill Hemmer, Mitt Romney campaign spokesperson Andrea Saul attacked the ad and then she veered off-message. She said that the fired steelworker would have had access to health care if he had lived in Massachusetts, where under Romney's plan health care coverage is extend ---

Now wait, you telling me that you get a campaign person on from the Romney campaign to respond to an allegation that your candidate is responsible for a woman's death and your answer is "she would have had health insurance if she'd lived in Massachusetts."

What -- um -- I don't know the people at the Romney campaign but I'm gonna tell you your candidate is accused of killing a woman because ---

This isn't about health insurance! They're out there saying that your guy killed a woman! And your answer is, well she'd of had health insurance if she lived in Massachusetts?

F-From the sound of this, they don't know at the Romney campaign what the purpose of this ad was and how it took root. They apparently don't know that the Obama campaign ran an ad accusing Romney of murder, essentially. And Stephanie Cutter's backing it up. The woman DID die. Romney got rich. He closed the plant. Husband lost a job. Wife got sick and died. Romney made out like a bandit.

Well, she'd have had health insurance if she lived in Massachusetts. Uh, you couple that with -- there was a lack of understanding or desire to join the Chick-Fil-A Day?

I mean, that's your base out there.

Yum. Yum yum yum yum yum.

Absalon on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Well its a culture war thing, the beltway always leads with "These are GOP Issues dems STAY AWAY" but this year Obama keeps pinging these issues, womens rights, gay marriage, immigration, welfare. And the best Romney can do is lie about Obama's stances.

The Democrats better keep this up after Obama's left office. The country desperately needs a competent opposition party to keep the Republicans in check.
    The way they're doing it now I'm starting to think they really have the country's best interests in mind. All the while republicans just want to loot the sinking ship as fast as possible

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    YES YES ROMNEY SUPPRESS YOUR SIDE WITH YOUR TERRIBLE!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    I'm not really fond of the ad, but that's superPACs for you. They're playing to win, and don't really need to answer to anyone sadly.

The response though, it hilariously off message and silly. "Well.. that wouldn't happen if we had some form of comprehensive healthcare plan possibly involving the term _____-care! Wait. Fuck. Did I just say that? Did I really just imply the solution to that problem would be the other guy's plan? Motherfucker!"

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    I do enjoy the Obama team's response "We have nothing to do with that ad! Ignore our own previous ads that featured the same dude? We're totally not coordinating!"

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Why aren't you fond of that ad? What's with all this fucking hand wringing from people?

You know what happens in the US when people lose their jobs?
    They lose their health insurance.

You know what sick people without health insurance do?
    They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.
    Stop being fucking squimish.

shryke on
  • Options
    Have they had ads with him? I know they had teleconferences with him. I've been looking to see if they played up the "his actions KILLED MY WIFE" angle, or just the "dude, I lost my job and my insurance" angle. It's the implication that it directly lead to her death that I'm less than comfortable with.

• Options
    I do enjoy the Obama team's response "We have nothing to do with that ad! Ignore our own previous ads that featured the same dude? We're totally not coordinating!"

They should have said - "That man retroactively separated himself from the regular campaign before the Super PAC ad in question aired."

• Options
    Maybe I was mistaken about Republicans being the one to drag us down to the dirtiest rhetoric ever. One of these days an Obama Super PAC is going to have this in their ad:

"Mitt Romney likes to eat shit and fuck his mom."

Or perhaps, "Mitt Romney backs his car over neighborhood dogs and cats he runs over. TWICE."

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Maybe I was mistaken about Republicans being the one to drag us down to the dirtiest rhetoric ever. One of these days an Obama Super PAC is going to have this in their ad:

Or perhaps, "Mitt Romney backs his car over neighborhood dogs and cats he runs over. TWICE."
    The Obama campaign ads are at least true. I'm sorry that Republicans have such an appalling record, but telling the truth about said record does not make it the "dirtiest rhetoric ever." Not even close.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Why aren't you fond of that ad? What's with all this fucking hand wringing from people?

They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.

I draw a time based line at causation here. Losing health insurance does not cause death. It can prevent health, which is not the same thing.

Essentially: I know it's an emotional appeal, but it has about the same grounds as "you fired that dude, and he came down with cancer kater. You killed him." which would be an unbelievable leap of logic for anyone. "You fired that dude and he lost his insurance, and came down with cancer which he couldn't afford treatment for" is damning enough in my mind. Attaching the death implies that if I ever fire anyone, I'm eventually responsible for their deaths?

Why go the extra logical leap when the facts are damning enough?

• Options
    sportzboytjwsportzboytjw squeeeeeezzeeee some more tax breaks outRegistered User regular

I think you got the first one backwards.

Walkerdog on MTGO
    TylerJ on League of Legends (it's free and fun!)
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Oh fucking please.
    Faith, here's an equivocator that could swear in both the scales
    against either scale, who committed treason enough for God's
    sake, yet could not equivocate to heaven. O, come in, equivocator

That ad isn't saying Romney killed his wife, it says Romney doesn't understand the consequences of the actions he takes and policies he supports. Which is true if we want to be generous about Mr. Mittens' character.

When you ask why if liberals are so fucking smart they lose so goddamn always, remember the porter.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    kildy wrote: »

They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.

I draw a time based line at causation here. Losing health insurance does not cause death. It can prevent health, which is not the same thing.

Essentially: I know it's an emotional appeal, but it has about the same grounds as "you fired that dude, and he came down with cancer kater. You killed him." which would be an unbelievable leap of logic for anyone. "You fired that dude and he lost his insurance, and came down with cancer which he couldn't afford treatment for" is damning enough in my mind. Attaching the death implies that if I ever fire anyone, I'm eventually responsible for their deaths?

Why go the extra logical leap when the facts are damning enough?

Because it should be attached. Because a lack of public healthcare in America is directly killing people and a very real, massive weight around the necks of business large and small that completely fucks up labor mobility.

Like 90% of what PE funds do wouldn't fucking matter if regulation and safety nets were actually enforceable and comprehensive. I have approximately zero problems with a candidate who's platform is against both those things were forced to defend why the obvious consequences should be acceptable to the American public.

• Options

The Obama campaign ads are at least true. I'm sorry that Republicans have such an appalling record, but telling the truth about said record does not make it the "dirtiest rhetoric ever." Not even close.

I know. I just kinda lament that it's come down to this. There was a time in our history where this kinda crap was agreeably uncalled for.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.

This is mostly correct. Politics is not a sport; policy has consequences, and we have to engage in a discussion about those consequences in an honest manner.

However, the ad's not really about Romney's policy, it's about his character. I'd be less guilty about liking the ad if the message was "This is what will happen if Romney is elected and repeals Obamacare" rather than "This Romney guy is a scumbag and a murderer".

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular

The Pro-Obama SuperPACs are running ads that are negative in tone but factually correct.

The Pro-Romney SuperPACs (and Romney himself) are running ads that are negative in tone and patently false.

These two things are not the same.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    "Did you know McCain fathered an illegitimate black baby?"

"Did you know Obama is a muslim? He wasn't even born in America!"

"Did you know that because of the policies Mitt Romney advocates there is real harm coming to American families?"

Hmm...

DIRTIEST RHETORIC EVER; OBAMA SHOULD BE ABOVE THIS!

Also, SuperPAC.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

I know. I just kinda lament that it's come down to this. There was a time in our history where this kinda crap was agreeably uncalled for.

And that time would be what? Never? Look at old campaign ads, its always dirty.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

When was that time? Jefferson and Adams hated each other (goat fucking child molester would not have been out of place in the campaign of 1800). Burr killed Hamilton. Senators used to beat each other with canes on the Senate floor.

The only time that conceivably could have been politically "polite" was when everyone was owned by the Trusts in the Gilded Age.

• Options

When Jefferson was running against Adams, Adams ran advertisements stating that Jefferson was secretly a hermaphrodite.

This ain't new.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
  • Options
    Fuck! Alright, Jesus jumped up Christ! I'm sorry invoking "the other candidate is responsible for someone's cancer killing them" made me feel awkward for the candidate I support! Goddamn.

• Options
    It's not so much how you felt so much as how you said it and how it was wrong.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Fuck! Alright, Jesus jumped up Christ! I'm sorry invoking "the other candidate is responsible for someone's cancer killing them" made me feel awkward for the candidate I support! Goddamn.

Sorry.

I didn't mean to come off as jumping on you, but I really think the Jefferson/Adams campaign stuff is hilarious, you know, 200 years after the fact.

• Options
    I actually don't disagree the rhetoric is unfortunate (though unilateral disarmament I do disagree with), just with the statement that it's different than it used to be.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

Was this during the famous "fantasyland" era of American politics?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Yeah, the geth are empirically not better than this.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular

Was this during the famous "fantasyland" era of American politics?
    0.jpg
    That's vanity.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767