As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

AC CHALLENGE 31: The discomfort zone

• FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    relax.

I agree.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    oh hey look i actually did something for this.

took inspiration from the piece iruka suggested. To me, the things that were a significant departure from my usual work were the singular line width, the colour intensity, and the large and dynamic group of people. Well, I would have liked to accommodate the last one but we would have been here all year so I concentrated on the first two.

Buildings reffed from a photo: http://brainz.org/10-most-precariously-placed-treehouses-earth/

treehouses_acdiscomfort.jpg

• m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    That's neat as fork tynic! Also, about the deadline I'll just let it run this month out since so many people have joined.

• IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Tynic!

Huge departure for you! I really like it. Did you enjoy making it?

I really did. The colouring was a bit tedious but I liked choosing the palette, ... and now I kind of want to make a comic in that style. :P

• MoorkusMoorkus Registered User regular
    I would read said comic with all my eyeballs (really nice art).

• squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Tynic that is indeed fantastic.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    mouserider.jpg

What if

Ralph from The Mouse and the Motorcycle was a Ghost Rider?

This is my Skottie Young piece. Don't think I really nailed down his style, but I still had a good ol' time doing it.

• DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    That's gorgeous, man. And I don't know if I should be proud that I knew it was a Mouse and the Motorcycle/Ghost Rider mash-up even before I scrolled all the way down...

Awww shieeet. Damn Chico...

That is really showing off some flexibility, chico. Awesome.

• nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    Nice!

I'm not going to have my submission done this week due to the power supply blowing on my PC. Not able to get it fixed until payday....

How are everyone's submissions coming along? Don't let Chico stop you!

• NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    I'm thinking about mine.

• McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ah! Wish I'd seen this sooner, these are some rad submissions.

Edit: Sounds like it's still going..... if that's the case I'm in...

McJohnstable on
    Still going, yeah. I'll just wait for the raging mob to show up demanding that I stop it.

• SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    Mine's done, I've just been swamped and haven't uploaded it. It'll be up by end-of-week for sure.

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
    Sure. And let's get some suggestions for McJohn stat!

@McJohnstable

heavy ink, but much less stretches and stylized form
    enclothe_sketches_02.jpg
    http://calumalexanderwatt.blogspot.com.es/

soft shading, rounded curvy forms, no lines.
    exper4.jpg
    http://lantredebrutalmoineau.blogspot.com/

Sketchy feel, realistic form, abstract construction, busy
    Crows_Vultures_Bulls_by_Fadingseven.jpg
    http://fadingseven.deviantart.com/art/Crows-Vultures-Bulls-154583112

• PukioPukio Registered User regular
    Dunno if this is still going on or not but-- I'm in if anyone still wants to throw suggestions at me.

Well I don't see any mob yet so you're in! That is if these slackers (not you Iruka) can get off their asses and suggest something.

• CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Tynic- I think you should totally keep working in that style- it seems pretty natural for you

Chico- I think this contest doesn't really works for you. You already have a million different styles! I luv'd The Mouse and the Motorcycle growing up

I did this thing- I know I got the idea of the theme a little wrong- but when I saw the picture Iruka linked, for some reason all I could think of was robocop, so this happened...

Original..
    paprika.jpg

Huh?..
    robocopq.jpg

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    I think I need more suggestions than just charicatures. I've been doing some, but just as sketches because I'm not super sure where to go with them beyond that.

good god cmt... that robocop is pretty much the best robocop ever.

• ShankboneShankbone Registered User regular
    So do people just suggest what you do for this? I was thinking I would do women and cars, since I'm pretty scared of doin' either... (but not if summun' else is supposed to choose for me)

We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight.
    Shankbone wrote: »
    So do people just suggest what you do for this? I was thinking I would do women and cars, since I'm pretty scared of doin' either... (but not if summun' else is supposed to choose for me)
    The point is not to suggest subjects but styles. You will be given an artist whose style you will have to emulate. So the answer is no, you wouldn't necessarily do cars or women because those are subjects.

Oh and for you Prosp: something without such harsh lines
    such as
    Teddy Kristiansen
    0007cyyf
    h.o.s.-5.jpg

or something bordering on the absurd?
    Enki Bilal
    296835171_48f00f1824_obilal1.jpg
    181801.jpg

CMT: That robocop is ludicrously great.

@Pukio
    Heavy inks and crazy shaped, very cartoony characters. High on motion.
    nico_robin_by_soulkarl-d525k39.jpg
    via http://soulkarl.deviantart.com/

smooth, light based painting, scifi, creature.
    852_large.jpg
    via:http://zoonoid.cghub.com/

Perfect! Thanks menace, that is way out of my comfort zone and I really dig those styles.

edited August 2012
    Thanks for the suggestions, Iruka. This was really fun to do. The perspective's kind of janky and I don't really think I nailed the style at all, but it was still a blast.
    jaybw_small.png

Aaaand in color because why not.

jaycolor_small.png

Pukio on
    Really not sure why you don't think you nailed the style pukio... I think you hit it dead on.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Now that I have some time, I would really like to do this! I need a good push in a different direction. I need to shake things up!

I specifically request Iruka to choose mine though, is that OK?

F87 on
    Let me see what I can do.

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I only just clicked this thread, but I feel like I am in need of much practice, so if someone wants to shoot a style at me I promise to copy it horribly!

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    Alright @F87

So, I didn't pick anything overly Concept-art oriented because I thought it may Jolt you away from your tendencies. My Thoughts were to hit on the main thing I think you have trouble shifting which is the shapes you draw when you are thinking of a particular thing. All your girls are pretty much one girl shape, and you guys are similar guy shapes. These are artists who draw pretty differently, and If I were you, I would try to spend a little time with each of them rather than working for 40 hours on a piece. Try to sketch it line by line, and then if you think you understand it, try to invent something of your own.

Now there is a huge range of things going on here, But I would personally suggest doing at least one of the cartoony one and one of the realistic ones. For the ones with realism, dont forget to find some great reference before you start your own drawing. Good luck, I hope you do some interesting things.

• F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    I'm on it! I did 2 sketches today, one for the realistic ones and a "cartoony" character with really stylized shapes.

I'm not posting anything yet because that was so extremely frustrating. I think my comfort zone is way too small.

.Tripwire. wrote: »
    I only just clicked this thread, but I feel like I am in need of much practice, so if someone wants to shoot a style at me I promise to copy it horribly!
    You use a lot of angles and planes, and to great effect. But I kind of wonder how you'd tackle something with more fluidity? I'm not at home so I don't have my bookmarks and inspiration folder to give good examples, but maybe something like kingkaisers stuff?
    7bYHe.jpg

OGkk8.jpg

• .Tripwire..Tripwire. Firman Registered User regular
    I didn't exactly match style so I need to try again, but tried a swooshy lady (women are also outside my comfort zone) to get started.
    tumblr_m962ufzO9w1rsrynko1_500.jpg

sigi_moe.pngsigi_deviantart.pngsigi_twitter.pngsigi_steam.pngsigi_tumblr.png
    Fabulous.