As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The American Presidency: The Once and Future Elections Thread

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Maybe I was mistaken about Republicans being the one to drag us down to the dirtiest rhetoric ever. One of these days an Obama Super PAC is going to have this in their ad:

"Mitt Romney likes to eat shit and fuck his mom."

Or perhaps, "Mitt Romney backs his car over neighborhood dogs and cats he runs over. TWICE."
    The Obama campaign ads are at least true. I'm sorry that Republicans have such an appalling record, but telling the truth about said record does not make it the "dirtiest rhetoric ever." Not even close.

I know. I just kinda lament that it's come down to this. There was a time in our history where this kinda crap was agreeably uncalled for.

I would say that there was a time in our history when neither side was this vulnerable to the truth. The Republican party has taken a real ugly turn by trying so hard to screw the little guy to slightly improve the lot of the big guy, just as a small example.

Has anybody on the Obama side (Super PAC or otherwise) flat out lied yet? I know it has happened repeatedly on the Romney side, including from the actual campaign.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    When was that time? Jefferson and Adams hated each other (goat fucking child molester would not have been out of place in the campaign of 1800). Burr killed Hamilton. Senators used to beat each other with canes on the Senate floor.

The only time that conceivably could have been politically "polite" was when everyone was owned by the Trusts in the Gilded Age.
    The gilded age involved everybody accusing everybody of election fraud. They were all actually doing it though.

There is currently a SuperPAC saying Obama is a racist.
    http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/08/03/636391/fightbigotrycom-super-pac-smears-obama/

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    shryke wrote: »
    Why aren't you fond of that ad? What's with all this fucking hand wringing from people?

You know what happens in the US when people lose their jobs?
    They lose their health insurance.

You know what sick people without health insurance do?
    They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.
    Stop being fucking squimish.

This is mostly correct. Politics is not a sport; policy has consequences, and we have to engage in a discussion about those consequences in an honest manner.

However, the ad's not really about Romney's policy, it's about his character. I'd be less guilty about liking the ad if the message was "This is what will happen if Romney is elected and repeals Obamacare" rather than "This Romney guy is a scumbag and a murderer".

I would happily run a campaign any day of the week and twice on Sunday against Mitt Romney's policies the moment he fucking commits to one.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    chrisnl wrote: »
    Maybe I was mistaken about Republicans being the one to drag us down to the dirtiest rhetoric ever. One of these days an Obama Super PAC is going to have this in their ad:

"Mitt Romney likes to eat shit and fuck his mom."

Or perhaps, "Mitt Romney backs his car over neighborhood dogs and cats he runs over. TWICE."
    The Obama campaign ads are at least true. I'm sorry that Republicans have such an appalling record, but telling the truth about said record does not make it the "dirtiest rhetoric ever." Not even close.

I know. I just kinda lament that it's come down to this. There was a time in our history where this kinda crap was agreeably uncalled for.

I would say that there was a time in our history when neither side was this vulnerable to the truth. The Republican party has taken a real ugly turn by trying so hard to screw the little guy to slightly improve the lot of the big guy, just as a small example.

Has anybody on the Obama side (Super PAC or otherwise) flat out lied yet? I know it has happened repeatedly on the Romney side, including from the actual campaign.

Look you say lie like its something only Romney does. Which is pretty true, but what if Obama lied all the time? Doesn't that make what romney's doing perfectly fine in the face of this constantly lying Obama?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    Why aren't you fond of that ad? What's with all this fucking hand wringing from people?

They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.

This is mostly correct. Politics is not a sport; policy has consequences, and we have to engage in a discussion about those consequences in an honest manner.

However, the ad's not really about Romney's policy, it's about his character. I'd be less guilty about liking the ad if the message was "This is what will happen if Romney is elected and repeals Obamacare" rather than "This Romney guy is a scumbag and a murderer".

I think its a fair attack, because his character shows a habit of doing just this, taking over companies, destroying them, and leaving people with out jobs, pensions, health care, or anything. It is foolish to think that Romney would not know, at least a little, what would happen to these people. He didn't care, he still did that. The man knowingly destroyed lives. I think attacking him on this is completely fair, as when people lose their jobs they are not able to afford to pay for health insurance. If you have children, then you definitely have to do without for your kids. Which means ignoring your health. Its a common story that happens all the time when shit like this happens, and therefore Romney had to have known that this would happen, as it is easily traceable. Therefore i do think it speaks to his character, and he should be called out on it.

And the response that 'oh, if she lived in Mass it would have been fine' is infuriating, especially with his attacks against ACA. he can't stand for anything and the more I learn about his bs the more frustrated I become. I fucking wish someone would call him out on it. Hell, I'm hoping actually that this all comes out after the convention (I mean the media really calling him out on his bullshit), to just fucking destroy Romney's campaign completely, so there is no way for him to recover.

• Options
    Boring7Boring7 Registered User regular

They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.

Squeamish, that's a good term for it. Lots of folk saying "we need to fight back" but getting all uncomfortable when it comes to the dirty business. Look folks, I don't like handling garbage, but someone has to take it out to the dumpster.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.

It's also about his policy. Because (as the Romney campaign was kind enough to point out) under the ACA, this wouldn't have happened. And Romney is campaigning to repeal the ACA. So, while it doesn't explicitly mention that, it's still what the ad is about.

• Options

They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.

It's also about his policy. Because (as the Romney campaign was kind enough to point out) under the ACA, this wouldn't have happened. And Romney is campaigning to repeal the ACA. So, while it doesn't explicitly mention that, it's still what the ad is about.

Agreed. It is attacking what he has done, and frustratingly, he's now trying to dance around the issues by arguing that his healthcare would have saved her when he is trying to repeal that health care, and I just want someone in the media to point it out.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Boring7 wrote: »

They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.

Squeamish, that's a good term for it. Lots of folk saying "we need to fight back" but getting all uncomfortable when it comes to the dirty business. Look folks, I don't like handling garbage, but someone has to take it out to the dumpster.

This isn't even fucking dirty business. This is the straight up truth.

Taking away people's health insurance kills people. It happens. Stop acting like it doesn't.

"Oh, I mean, I know it happens, but you shouldn't say it does. That's impolite."

Fucking please.

shryke on
  • Options
    Boring7 wrote: »

They fucking DIE.

Welcome to reality.

This isn't even fucking dirty business. This is the straight up truth.

Taking away people's health insurance kills people.
    It happens.
    Stop acting like it doesn't.

Yeah seriously. Not to mention when Bain bought that Steel company it was doing fine. Bain killed that company, made a profit and that ad shows you the human side of those profit numbers, that man lost his wife due to a callous attitude of profit over people. THE VERY ATTITUDE THE GOP HAS!

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/08/13185136-obama-opposes-boy-scouts-policy-banning-gays?lite/

Obama says "Culture War? FUCK YOU!"

Amazingly enough Romney agrees with Obama, I can't believe that.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Preacher wrote: »
    http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/08/13185136-obama-opposes-boy-scouts-policy-banning-gays?lite/

Goddammit Romney is just breaking my brain today. I'm pissed at him, then he does something I agree with.

• Options
    never die wrote: »

Goddammit Romney is just breaking my brain today. I'm pissed at him, then he does something I agree with.

Well he still doesn't think gay people should get married or serve in the military or adopt children. So dudes still a dick bag.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular

For now

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    My head is spinning now. Romney is attacking the Mormon Church's youth wing?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

Wait 15 minutes then check his position again.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    It was pointed out on Fark but it may be right. This healthcare fuck up of Saul's is to distract from Romney's tax returns. That's how bad they are, he changed the subject to going back on a major campaign promise to get the subject off his tax returns.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Democrats finally found their balls! Keep going guys, you are actually doing unironically great!

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Mortious wrote: »

...brainwave.

Romney is the quantum candidate. You can know his position because he will eventually have all of them, but not when he will hold it.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

For now

Yeah give it 20 minutes and a rant from Rushbo

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Democrats finally found their balls! Keep going guys, you are actually doing unironically great!

I think the utter insanity of the GOP is pushing democrats to go "Wait hold up you actually believe that shit? Wow."

I do have to applaud Claire McCasskill in missouri for pushing out ads to get the craziest ultra conservative the win in the primary, here's hoping she can pull a Sharon Angle upset.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    It was pointed out on Fark but it may be right. This healthcare fuck up of Saul's is to distract from Romney's tax returns. That's how bad they are, he changed the subject to going back on a major campaign promise to get the subject off his tax returns.

Except they haven't really dealt with the problem, so tomorrow Reid can just go "hey, how's about them tax returns? You never did dispel the rumor that you paid no taxes for 10 years."

• Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

When I think about it, I find it amazing that Democrats can be generally in agreement about not liking the GOP, because as the GOP continually RINOs people its becoming smaller and smaller and therefore isolating themselves, and allowing people who really don't have much in common (older school and former Repubs like Luger, moderates, Blue Dog Democrats, Democrats, and Far Left fringe) to unite against them. I don't think they recognize that they are slowly destroying themselves.

• Options
    KiplingKipling Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »

Except they haven't really dealt with the problem, so tomorrow Reid can just go "hey, how's about them tax returns? You never did dispel the rumor that you paid no taxes for 10 years."

It will come up when his VP has to release their tax forms. Unless the big three have done it already, but I'm not going to look. You can bet Reid or the Obama campaign will bring up something like that. They can dredge up the whole "17 years of tax returns" line from the McCain campaign.

Is Romney's campaign really dumb enough to switch from tax returns to a discussion on whether people die because they don't have health insurance? That's frying pan and fire choices.

3DS Friends: 1693-1781-7023
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular

Well he still doesn't think gay people should get married or serve in the military or adopt children. So dudes still a dick bag.

Also, Romney has any number of liberal views, until he realizes that it alienates him from his base to have EVEN the slightest sympathy for minorities. Give it a day and Romney will be saying that he is only in favor of children who think they are gay being in the scouts so they can have it beaten out of them.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Whoa. Romney got his political views from Michigan weather. Everything makes sense now.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, the Romney campaign response to that superPAC ad is terrible. It's akin to a bank defending itself over causing someone's death by foreclosing on said person in the winter with the line "well if that guy had just lived in a warmer climate he wouldn't have died to hypothermia when we kicked him out of his house." Sure they can legally argue that they aren't responsible but it still sounds fucking terrible and doesn't absolve of the fact that their actions still cause real harm to another human being.

I'm enjoying watching the democrats beat the republicans over the head with the spines they have recently grown.

Also apparently the GOP is split on who Romney should pick for his VP. The ones that think he should play it safe are pushing for Portman. The ones that think he needs to energize the base are pushing for Ryan with the mistaken belief that that will ensure a Romney victory.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Mill wrote: »
    Yeah, the Romney campaign response to that superPAC ad is terrible. It's akin to a bank defending itself over causing someone's death by foreclosing on said person in the winter with the line "well if that guy had just lived in a warmer climate he wouldn't have died to hypothermia when we kicked him out of his house." Sure they can legally argue that they aren't responsible but it still sounds fucking terrible and doesn't absolve of the fact that their actions still cause real harm to another human being.

I'm enjoying watching the democrats beat the republicans over the head with the spines they have recently grown.

Also apparently the GOP is split on who Romney should pick for his VP. The ones that think he should play it safe are pushing for Portman. The ones that think he needs to energize the base are pushing for Ryan with the mistaken belief that that will ensure a Romney victory.

It's similar to the Palin strategy, minus the gender politics: shoring up voters who are already locked-in.

It's like running on a pro-gamma bomb ticket and then picking the Incredible Hulk as your VP.

• Options
    I can't keep Paul Ryan and Rand Paul separate - which one wrote a budget so bad the Dems in the House decided to just let it pass so they could hang it around the GOP's neck, and the GOP was tripping over itself to change their votes?

• Options
    Paul Ryan

Rand Paul is in the Senate

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    Ryan was the budget writer.

• Options
    Rand Ryan is the villain in BioShock 3.

• Options
    Oh good, yes. Please let him be the VP pick, then.

• Options
    So in veep stakes news.

Not sure if this a definitive "no way in fucking hell will I board that sinking ship" or Portman merely trying to keep people guessing on who Romney will pick as his VP. It would be funny if it's the former rather than the latter. Who would the leave Romney to pick from? I get the feeling Portman was the safest and blandest choice available to him.

• Options
    Are you allowed to still be president if no one will join you as VP?

Does Boehner just pick up the slack?

• Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    His VP will be Bain (since corporations are people)

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Mill wrote: »
    So in veep stakes news.

Not sure if this a definitive "no way in fucking hell will I board that sinking ship" or Portman merely trying to keep people guessing on who Romney will pick as his VP. It would be funny if it's the former rather than the latter. Who would the leave Romney to pick from? I get the feeling Portman was the safest and blandest choice available to him.
    Yeah, I'm the VP candidate, but come on? Have you seen the Romney campaign? We're going to lose.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Biden was denying it right up until the official announcement.

So Portman turning all St. Peter on Romney doesn't mean much.

• Options
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Biden was denying it right up until the official announcement.

So Portman turning all St. Peter on Romney doesn't mean much.

Yeah was about to say the exact same thing... STOP BEING ME!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    His VP will be Bain (since corporations are people)

I'm okay with this, because I didn't get enough Batman comparison memes at the initial onset.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!