As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] 2012 PAX N.O.M.S. (Nightly Options of the Musical Sort) Last Update: 8/14

JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Some of you may know that I'm a music guy. I love music, I play music, and I like to go to live music. I've heard many of you raise various concerns about the official concerts for whatever reason. Maybe you'd like to enjoy an adult beverage while watching performances. Perhaps the party scene isn't your...well, scene. This year is shaping up to have an unprecedented amount of unofficial concerts adding to the festival like craziness that is PAX, so I figured I'd create a thread to hold them all, for those that, like me, enjoy options. If you know of any others, please let me know here and I'll update the list

NOTE: These are concerts of the nerdy/VGM/chiptune variety. We all know Bumbershoot is happening at the same time. Spoilered for non wall of text reasons

THURSDAY 8/30 (Updated 7/19)

FRIDAY 8/31 (Updated 8/14)
Mars (yes, there's a show at/on Mars) Bar
ACTS
Rotten Musicians
Mark Dago
Jonny Nero Action Hero (that's me!)
Klopfenpop
TIME:
8pm
COST:
$6

EVENT
Press Start: Modern Video Game Art Opening Reception
ACTS
Firedrill
TIME:
7pm
COST:
Free (as far as I can see)

EVENT
DMG #3: PAX Edition
ACTS
Matthew Joseph Payne
Crashfaster
Leeni
Minusbaby
DJ Tracer
TIME:
8pm
COST:
$10

SATURDAY 9/1 (Updated 8/14)
ACTS:
X-Bit: Seattle's Premier Chiptune Showcase (Ticket Link)
ARTISTS:
A_Rival
RainbowDragonEyes
Abducted By Sharks
Electric Children
Live Animals
Turtlesaur
Orbital Strike
G. Diffuser (New Act, no site yet)
TIME:
7:00 PM
COST:
$13 Adv/$15 door

ACTS:
Destructoid.com official PAX party (Ticket Link)
ARTISTS:
MegaRan
Klopfenpop
Death*Star
The Glitter Vixens Burlesque
TIME:
7:30 PM
COST:
$8 Adv/$10 door

ACTS:
Art Show: Fangamer VERSUS Attract Mode
ARTISTS:
Danimal Cannon
TIME:
8:00 PM
COST:
$5

SUNDAY 9/2
ACTS:
The Post PAX Party
Danimal Cannon
TBD
TIME:
8pm
COST:
$40

MONDAY 9/3
ACTS:
The Protomen
Supercommuter
Danimal Cannon
TIME:
7pm
COST:
$12 Adv/$14 Door

zerzhul on

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    Oh man, I know Hello The Future and was planning on going to see her and the others Thursday night, but I didn't realize Electric Children was also playing a show... drat!

Also, the X-Bit show on Saturday likely includes Danimal Cannon; I know he has other shows planned that he hasn't talked about yet. It's an assumption, but I'd say it's pretty likely.

NSw0gum.png
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    Actually he doesn't, unfortunately. I'm part of the crew that organizes X-Bit, and he got an offer to play an art show somewhere. If you read this Dan, let me know what it is and I'll add it

• ColdbrewColdbrew Down in Front Productions Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    Ah, oh well then. He's doing like four shows, and I only know of two of them so far. :P

NSw0gum.png
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    I approve of this thread.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
    The show at the Funhouse on Thursday just added Danimal Cannon. I'll be there for sure now!

https://www.facebook.com/events/172766459523601/

NSw0gum.png
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    Ohhh, I like.
    Definitely in for the chiptunes!

Johnny, are you performing AT the Post PAX party?

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    edited July 2012
    Yes he is! :D

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
    This ^

And OP updated with current info

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    I will be at the Monday Proto show like the obsessed fanboy that I am (also the Post-PAX Party, but that goes without saying). This time, however, I will have the foresight to bring a bottle of water with me because god damn does El Corazon get hot in a hurry.

In unrelated news, I saw a Jonny Nero Action Hero arcade cab on the Matanuska ferry yesterday and totally forgot to take a picture of me posing with it. Boo.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
    Yeah, El Corazon gets ridiculously muggy very quickly. Personally, I kinda hate the place compared to the other hole-in-the-wall venues around the city. But it works, and its close, and it's always cheap, so whatever.

NSw0gum.png
  • KillerMcDeadKillerMcDead Registered User regular
    I made the mistake of wearing my helmet and gun-arm to the El Corazon show last year. I nearly died. Don't think I'll be doing that again this year.

• ArcticLizardArcticLizard Melbourne, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Got my ticket to Protomen for Monday, not sure how I'm going to juggle it and being on the SchlitzKrieg.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    I made the mistake of wearing my helmet and gun-arm to the El Corazon show last year. I nearly died. Don't think I'll be doing that again this year.

I wore my entire Megaman costume there. >.<

wWuzwvJ.png
    Just updated OP with information for X-Bit on Saturday. We have 8 acts for you (with a possible 9th on the way) at El Corazon. For those that need more chiptune in their life

... Curse you guys for putting the X-Bit show on during PAX. I MUST GO!

NSw0gum.png
    We'll be running until 3am, so you have time :p also, we jsut added RainbowDragonEyes

Oh man. Well, I really want to see you, Cutman, and Electric Children. And probably Abducted by Sharks.

I hate missing the PAX concerts too, regardless of who's playing, but... this is too good!

NSw0gum.png
    Bump for updates.

Also if you look closely, and realize that I'm also enforcing this year...you will see that I'm going to die

• redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    Yo Jonny, don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask, but do you have any insider info of any chiptuning scheduled during PAX hours? Low Tek Resistance? Jamspace? Anyone know if Jamspace is even happening?

redhalo wrote: »
    Yo Jonny, don't know if this is an appropriate place to ask, but do you have any insider info of any chiptuning scheduled during PAX hours? Low Tek Resistance? Jamspace? Anyone know if Jamspace is even happening?

Pure rumor at this point. I have no info to corroborate this. ABSOLUTE RUMOR!

I've heard there is no Jamspace this year.

Heard nothing on the Lo Tek front. There might be something like that. But truth be told, a lot of the guys (read Electric Children who used to be Circles, who was one half of the Lo Tek "organization"

I can confirm there will be no Jamspace. Definitely not happy about it, but there's a good deal of good shows happening over the weekend, so it's not all bad I suppose.

NSw0gum.png
    Damn, thing is all my nights are more or less spoken for. I stumbled upon the Low Tek Resistance by chance the first time they did it at PAX, and made a point to wait around the next year an hour before starting (when they got shoo'd off by the cops), amazing stuff. As much as I enjoyed FighterX, I have enjoyed Circles' stuff post PAX more so, so I don't know where they stand on another show post split. I would love nothing more than to see them both again this year. And goddamn, Knife City at Jamspace, seriously! For those interested, dyreschlock on youtube has most of that show worthy of having the audio ripped.

Fighter X is no more, at least no how you know them. But Electric Children is SIIIIIIICCCK

Agreed on Electric Children.

• rythos42rythos42 Registered User regular
    Terrific post! Good to have my options laid out in front of me. :)

I haven't kept up on any sort of news - what do you mean by "Fighter X is no more, at least no how you know them"?

rythos42 wrote: »
    Terrific post! Good to have my options laid out in front of me. :)

I haven't kept up on any sort of news - what do you mean by "Fighter X is no more, at least no how you know them"?

Fighter X started as one guy, then took on Circles (now Electric Children). They broke up, and no one's heard from Nick in a while.

IOW, he's still around, but no one has heard anything new, nor has he played any shows in recent memory

• rythos42rythos42 Registered User regular
    That's to bad. He was damned good at what he did. >.<

• jclemyjclemy Registered User regular
    Avicii is playing a show on Saturday at WAMU. Notch is putting it on.

MegaRan just announced a show on Saturday at El Corazon. I'm curious if he'll be playing with the X-Bit show, or whats up. I'll update if/when I hear back.

NSw0gum.png
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    MegaRan just announced a show on Saturday at El Corazon. I'm curious if he'll be playing with the X-Bit show, or whats up. I'll update if/when I hear back.

They told us they were doing another show in the main room on saturday, so I guess that's that

edited August 2012
    Another bump for Xbit updates and the addition of the Fangamer Art show.

Sad new, we had to drop Cutman from Xbit. Miscommunication over cost of the venue and how much time we actually had. Bummer, but we are going to try and get him next year

Edit: something is not agreeing between updating the OP (or even this comment) with the info. I thought it was already updated. So more info will be posted later this afternoon once I get home

JonnyNero on
  • MegaRanMegaRan TeacherRapperHero Registered User new member
    i'm looking to get involved in a few more events over the weekend, so if anyone needs a chip-hopper with a love for Mega Man and a decent stage show, holler at me! I believe i'm on the 9/1 show so I'll see you there!

MegaRan wrote: »
    i'm looking to get involved in a few more events over the weekend, so if anyone needs a chip-hopper with a love for Mega Man and a decent stage show, holler at me! I believe i'm on the 9/1 show so I'll see you there!

Hey! I don't think you are on our show on Saturday. But the venue did say there was another show going on in the main room the same night. If you can get me the deets on it I'll post it here

edited August 2012
    Yeah I something about that too, I'm curious to know what's up.

Random, I "might" have something for you that weekend. I'll contact you personally if that's the case.
    My PAX Community DVD team saw ya in Jamspace at East earlier this year, and even though I'm honestly not a big fan of nerdcore, I enjoyed the hell out of your show.

Coldbrew on
    NSw0gum.png
  • Moonflow43Moonflow43 Registered User new member
    This is great, I really appreciate you organizing this. I'll be there at El Corazon on sat for sure. Just a couple questions.

Is there a way to prepuchase tickets for this? El Corazon seems to skip the 1st, do you know if this will update or is it only at the door?

And are the bands listed in the order in which they will perform or is this still up in the air?

Thanks!

There will (hopefully) be presales showing up sometime soon. I have to poke Abducted about that. As far as line up goes it will be

Turtlesaur
    Live Animals
    Electric Children
    Orbital Strike
    A_Rival
    Abducted By Sharks
    RainbowDragonEyes
    Jonny Nero Action Hero

• Moonflow43Moonflow43 Registered User new member
    Cool, I'll keep my eyes out for the presales. Thanks for the order as well. I'm pumped to see RDE live :D

Bump for HUGE UPDATE!

3 new shows added (2 on Friday, 1 on Saturday)

A new act to the Xbit show

And presale links for the El Corazon shows

woo!

• TarageTarage Registered User regular
    So for the Protomen, are they or are they not doing the thing they did last year where a badge gets you entry into their show?

Tarage wrote: »
    So for the Protomen, are they or are they not doing the thing they did last year where a badge gets you entry into their show?

I haven't heard anything either way. However, I will say if that is the case, it's probably the same as last year which is buying a ticket guarantees your entrance.

Also, because I'm a self promoting wh&*#, check out Xbits poster, now with more Ecco
    255483_399737646754585_338834504_n.jpg

This discussion has been closed.