As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

You got your WoW in my comics! You got your comics in my WoW!

BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
edited July 2007 in Graphic Violence
wowcomic-thumb.jpg
New York, NY – DC Comics, the world's largest English language comic book publisher and home to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman announced plans today to publish a new comic book series based on World of Warcraft®, Blizzard Entertainment®’s popular massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG). Preview art from the series will debut at Comic-Con International, held in San Diego, CA from July 26–29. The World of Warcraft comic book will be published through DC’s WildStorm imprint and debut this fall.

The ongoing monthly series will be written by industry veteran Walter Simonson (Thor, Orion) and feature art by Ludo Lullabi and inker Sandra Hope. The first six issues of the World of Warcraft comic series will each feature two covers, one by superstar comic book artist Jim Lee and a second by Blizzard Entertainment Senior Art Director Samwise Didier.

The Warcraft® series has been a pillar of gaming culture for over a decade, with multiple #1-selling titles. Blizzard’s World of Warcraft MMORPG allows thousands of players to explore the rich, war-torn setting of the franchise together, and has attracted more than 8.5 million subscribers worldwide. The Burning Crusade, the first expansion to World of Warcraft, recently shattered PC game sales records by selling more than 2.4 million copies in its first 24 hours of release and approximately 3.5 million in its first month.

The first storyline of the new ongoing series begins when a human is found unconscious on the shores of Kalimdor, with no memory of who he is or how he arrived there. Enslaved by an orc shaman, the man must fight for survival against members of both the Alliance and the Horde. He strikes uneasy relationships with other races in his quest to find the secrets of his past.

ABOUT DC COMICS:
DC Comics, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, is the largest English-language publisher of comics in the world and home to such iconic characters as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman and the Sandman. These DC super heroes and others have starred in comic books, movies, television series (both animated and live-action) and cyberspace, thrilling audiences of all ages for generations. DC Comics’ Web site is located at www.dccomics.com.

ABOUT BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT, INC.
Best known for blockbuster hits including World of Warcraft and the Warcraft , StarCraft® , and Diablo® series, Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. (www.blizzard.com ), a division of Vivendi Games, is a premier developer and publisher of entertainment software renowned for creating some of the industry's most critically acclaimed games. Blizzard's track record includes ten #1-selling games and multiple Game of the Year awards. The company's online-gaming service, Battle.net®, is one of the largest in the world, with millions of active users.

comic_ludo_cvr_400x600.jpg
concept_colors_02_lg.jpg
wow_concept_art.jpg

SIG.gif
Blankspace on

• IrohIroh Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The art is pretty rad, but I have a real distaste for the subject matter. The 'canonical' Warcraft information doesn't even make sense to me, let alone the peripheral stuff.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SalmonOfDoubtSalmonOfDoubt Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was going to make some sort of joke about recycled art and level grinding but I just don't have the heart.

SalmonOfDoubt on
    heavensidesig80.jpg
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    killing children would be hilarious
    Olivaw wrote: »
    HELLO AND WELCOME TO THE PENNY ARCADE FORUMS

PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY

AND THIS PENIS
    Man, I don't want to read about this lady's broken vagina.
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I am sitting here trying to come up with a tiered system for rating child molesters.
    cock vore is fuckin hilarious
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think it's at all a bad idea. As long as they come out with the comics a lot quicker then they did with that three-part 'manga', I think it could work out pretty well. Especially if they do Taurens right.
    Wonder if Walt Simonson's got a E-Mail address. Now where did I put that folder of screenshots of my game-character..

Owenashi on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Well

Simonson's a good writer, he wrote some of the best Thor ever and his Orion was fantastic. Both dealt heavily with magic and fantasy and the like.

So, at least we know it has a good chance of being at least decent.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited July 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    Well

Simonson's a good writer, he wrote some of the best Thor ever and his Orion was fantastic. Both dealt heavily with magic and fantasy and the like.

So, at least we know it has a good chance of being at least decent.

That all depends on whether or not Blizzard has a stranglehold on their IP right now. I wouldn't put it past them to contain what happens in media other than their game, if for no other reason than to preserve the 'lore' they use to generate game content (i.e. no killing major characters, no creating especially powerful ones, and no changes in the political landscape).

As terrible as the underlying story of Warcraft is, millions of people just eat the shit up, so I doubt they are prepared to let someone else influence things that have bearing on their game.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm a part-timer on WoW, and I'm actually digging this quite a bit.

The only thing that would make it better is if Simonson was doing the art as well. He's in my top 5 faves.

That being said- those promo pieces look awesome.

Tach on
    edited July 2007
    I hatehatehatehate that Jim Lee cover.

Armor doesn't work that way.

LOOK AT HIS ASS.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I hope this comic captures all of the excitement of grinding five nights a week for an upgrade that may or may not ever drop.

Mr Pink on
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was just going to say that cover looked like it was straight out of a 1990s time capsule.

I didnt notice it was Lee. D:

Synthetic Orange on
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, that cover is not only awfully drawn, but the poses are awful too.

Unless they are trying to show an orc about to utterly rape a paladin, because that's the only thing that can logically follow from that shot. Somehow, I had a feeling they were going for a more "evenly matched clash of weapons" approach.

All in all, very unexcited, some of the promo art is okay but that's about it. And I really have no faith in them being able to make a good story out of WoW.

Inquisitor on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wait...why is the Paladin blocking that orcs SHOULDER? It's pretty clear there's a weapon right about to hack his armpit apart.

The Muffin Man on
    edited July 2007
    Wait...why is the Paladin blocking that orcs SHOULDER? It's pretty clear there's a weapon right about to hack his armpit apart.

Come on now, you play WoW. I'm sure you know that position has no bearing on your block chance.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wish Jim Lee was just really bad all the time. It's very confusing.

august on
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I think the stylized art really matches WoW's graphics theme, its shaping up real nicely.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    I think we are all forgetting the fact that they appear to be fighting in lava.

Mr Pink on
    edited July 2007
    Fire resistance gear.

Iroh on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    +Fire Resistance Aura

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
    edited July 2007
    Iroh wrote: »

Come on now, you play WoW. I'm sure you know that position has no bearing on your block chance.

Well...he could technically be behind him, in which case he can't block.

Oh god I am nerdy, even by GV standards.

The Muffin Man on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If it's anything like the game every five issues will have a different arc. The new arcs story will be the same as the last one. It will just have different art

Algertman on
  • ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    i don't know anything about world of warcraft. i liked the first three warcraft games, but i don't generally do online games. if this had the same art from the warcraft II manual, i'd be all over it though. that art fucking ruled

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • vinhjvinhj Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Wouldn't blocking underneath the armpit with a giant shield eliminate any leverage from the attacker?

vinhj on
    edited July 2007
    vinhj wrote: »

Wouldn't blocking underneath the armpit with a giant shield eliminate any leverage from the attacker?

The orc has two axes, though.

Mr Pink on
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    vinhj wrote: »

What the hell gives? Don't all comic covers, and for that matter, the interiors, work on the same level of ridiculousness? And complaining about the armored ass seems weird considering all the spandex wedgies that are always going on in the superhero side of things.

Orogogus on
    edited July 2007
    i guess if you only read comics drawn by jim lee

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    You wouldn't expect much from this sort of thing, but I actually kind of like the Street Fighter comics that UDON has been putting out, especially the Sakura series.

And I'm sure there's more to the plot of WoW than there is to the Street Fighter storyline.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Servo wrote: »
    Well, seriously... The complaint here seems to be that the orc and the whatever are just posing on the cover instead of actually being in realistic fighting stances. Is this unusual in comics? Really?

Or clothing/armor not working the way it does in real life?

Hobbes: Is Amazon Girl's super power the ability to squeeze her figure into that suit?
    Calvin: Nah, they can all do that.

Orogogus on
    edited July 2007
    Dude, there's a pretty big difference between spandex, which would give you a wedgie, and plate/chain armor, which I don't think would and if it did you would chafe like hell.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Dude, there's a pretty big difference between spandex, which would give you a wedgie, and plate/chain armor, which I don't think would and if it did you would chafe like hell.

wd-40.

PantheraOnca on
  • Highlander_77Highlander_77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

What's with all the Jim Lee hate in here? Personally, I can't get enough of his work...I think he's a brilliant artist.

It looks to me like the part of the leggings covering his ass is actually cloth, not metal. It can't all be armor. I mean, how exactly would complete leg armor that was constructed out of one solid, continuous piece of sheet metal work exactly? Seems it would be kind of hard to move your legs in something like that.
    The armor design is a pretty accurate recreation of the Lawbringer paladin armor set from the actual game (I wouldn't expect anyone who hasn't played WoW extensively to know that, of course), so you can't entirely blame Lee for the armor design anyway.

As for the poses...they seem plausible enough to me...certainly by comic book standards, at any rate. If I have any issue at all with the pose, it's that the Paladin seems to have his torse twisted a little too far in the direction of the viewer, given the position of his legs. In fact, given the direction his torso is pointed, I don't think we should even be able to see any part of his ass at all...

Highlander_77 on
    El_Pollo_Diablo.jpg"Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!"
  • FeathersMcGrawFeathersMcGraw Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure why I'd want to shell out money for a WoW comic when there's Dark Legacy.

But Simonson at least has me thinking about it.

FeathersMcGraw on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was skeptical. Then I saw Thunderfury in the promo art. I'm now hooked.

Tav on
    edited July 2007
    Er...I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a difference between a published licensed comic written by a professional author and drawn by a real artist versus a terribley drawn webcomic.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Highlander_77Highlander_77 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure why I'd want to shell out money for a WoW comic when there's Dark Legacy.

But Simonson at least has me thinking about it.

Wow. I'm honestly not sure if the goal of that strip is to attempt to make me laugh...or to make me want to commit seppuku with a spork...

Highlander_77 on
    El_Pollo_Diablo.jpg"Madre de Dios! Es el Pollo Diablo!"
    edited July 2007
    Orogogus wrote: »
    Well, seriously... The complaint here seems to be that the orc and the whatever are just posing on the cover instead of actually being in realistic fighting stances. Is this unusual in comics? Really?

Hobbes: Is Amazon Girl's super power the ability to squeeze her figure into that suit?

if you're basing your impressions of all comic art on a reference to a calvin and hobbes strip from fifteen years ago, i think i see your problem

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That's a rather odd pose. The knight must have to maintain that position constantly in that armour, moving around on skates or something. His greaves perfectly fit the contours of his asschecks D:

Magic elastic platemail? That's a high-level item or something, right?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Orcs ain't real

Algertman on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Off topic, but the last time I read that joke, I thought that 'figure' meant 'action figure.' I didn't really get that joke.

I didn't get a lot of Calvin and Hobbes at that age.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited July 2007
    i thought the same thing when i was younger, actually

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Well, it can't possibly be worse than some of the City of Heroes comics.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited July 2007
    Corvus wrote: »
    Well, it can't possibly be worse than some of the City of Heroes comics.

I remember reading one about a millionaire archer who felt bad that he spent so much money on trick arrows and not much money on helping people in need.

I had to check to make sure he wasn't wearing any green.

The Muffin Man on