As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Vanguard] SNEAK IS GONE SO THIS GAME IS DEAD.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    My only problem with the game (that I doubt they've fixed, because the game is supported by a single puppy at this point. And the puppy is very tired and sleeps most of the day) is that some of the quests are just poorly designed.
    Having to fight others for 5 slowly respawning, mob-surrounded mushroom nodes (when you need like 15 mushrooms) is annoying enough as is without also having to do it separately for every single party member, because quest goals aren't shared.

Glal on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I did forget about the quest goals, not being shared but eh, im more interested in doing dungeons etc, though with the way the population is there isn't an issue with quest areas being over run.

As a side note we need to line up something for this weekend. Run a dugeon, etc. I got the whole weekend off so lets do something, cause I haven't been lucky enough to log in and find more then 1 perosn on :D

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    NinjaPirateNinjaPirate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just picked this up for the 45 free days to see how it goes. Anyone can look for me in game under Palimo Jones

NinjaPirate on
  • Options
    TeyarTeyar Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The sony pages are all totally borked, so I cant even get into the trial. And I dont see a trial on steam...

Teyar on
    Kick At The Darkness Until It Bleeds Daylight
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I reset my station account password, but it wouldn't let me in, so I did a reset again to get a temporary password sent to me and now that doesn't work either.

Oh well. I don't have th etime to foll with calling these knuckleheads just to dick around in a few old games for the next month.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It isn't a trial, you just need to either a have the game to install so you can log in to your old account or buy a new one for 9 bucks through steam to activate your 45 days free.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited May 2011
    I was looking for a trial, actually. But c'est la vie.

Teyar on
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    this link may help old players looking to download the game without re-buying it:

http://launcher.station.sony.com/

I wish I knew about that before I re-bought =p

Vanguard has so many things I love that I wish other games stole, such as being able to have an offensive and defensive target at the same time, and being able to move, albeit slowly, while casting...

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seriously, there were a lot of choices they made like that that were just fantastic.

Ranlin on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well I woke up with this intense freaking desire to do some dungeoneering with a tanker.

Wheres the major population spikes at?

Teyar on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Umm, no clue haven't really been paying attention to when people are on, was gonna try and line something up for tonight around 5pm cst. Looking at like magi hold, serpent of seharis, rifst seekers torrent or vault of heroes. There are a couple other low level dungeans i just know these are closest to our lvl range. Whats your in game name teyar ?

Draeven on

• Options
    NinjaPirateNinjaPirate Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay this just in, new character name Wilburforce Beauxregarde

NinjaPirate on
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Where do necro's fit into the grand scheme of things? I have a low level one I was gonna play with my free time.

Yoshua on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    they are a pet class, from what i understnad the pet has issues tanking early in the game but gets stronger as you go. I find them to be a fun class, but then again i love all the classes i have played in this game. Though disco zombie has a lvl 49 so he would be more apt to answer that question.

Draeven on

• Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ugh, could not keep playing. I'm just spoiled by the smoother animations and consistent graphics styles in WoW and RIFT. I forgot how much I loathe "photorealism" textures.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Draeven wrote: »
    they are a pet class, from what i understnad the pet has issues tanking early in the game but gets stronger as you go. I find them to be a fun class, but then again i love all the classes i have played in this game. Though disco zombie has a lvl 49 so he would be more apt to answer that question.

yah necro is a master kiter and pretty good dps, great for soloing. The pet can hold aggro reasonably well but not if you really start unloading on a mob. I usually wind up kiting most of the time. If a mob gets to me I literally die in about 3 hits, but I can kill 4 dots with ease via kiting, sometimes 2 at a time. Honestly I wish WoW's warlock was more like Vanguard's necro. I frequently have about 10 debuffs on a mob at the same time, which is awesome. But I do wish I wasn't so squishy. Dying because you make one small wrong move is frustrating.

DiscoZombie on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    tThey really jacked the xps, i know its the xp weekend and all but still, stupid xps.

Draeven on

• Options
    ShankyShanky Registered User regular
    Might start playing this again, will have to start over tho.
    What classes are rare in the PA group?~ I like playing everything, tank support or deeps~

LoL Account = Seafour
  • Options
    ShankyShanky Registered User regular
    O.o is anyone still playing this game~

LoL Account = Seafour
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    I... don't think people play this anymore, to be honest.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    I played it a couple of months back with the free days I got from SOE for putting my details at risk, but unfortunately the game just isn't very entertaining solo and the two people I dragged with me just weren't into it.
    It's still a fun game, but it just feels like it takes forever to get anywhere. There's a lot of forced back-and-forth with quest givers that just send you to the same place over and over to kill the other type of mobs (you know, the ones you killed 50 of when doing the first part of the quest), it's dead easy to get yourself killed solo, yet at the same time the progress goes down to a trickle after 10/15 levels.

What I'm saying is, I want Vanguard's classes in a better MMO.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Decided to give it a whirl, fun enough. Until suddenly the game decides that randomly logging me out again, and again, and again would be more fun than killing hobgoblins.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Sea of ThornsSea of Thorns Registered User regular
    Glal wrote:
    What I'm saying is, I want Vanguard's classes in a better MMO.

So much this. I'd love to see Blood Mages and Acolytes in a stable MMO. Rift has Chloromancer I suppose, but I wish more developers would pick up on combat-oriented healers.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    rift has chloromancer and a neat cleric type that does damage to which healing is tied

but what i really came in here to do was wax nostalgic about how awesome the bard system in this game was. i was playing my low level bard in some other mmo and i thought man, i really wish i could construct my own buffs, how is it nobody else picked up on the awesomeness of that system

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    Soo, Free to play on the 14th of August, every class is playable for free up to level 20.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Naw, it's F2P now; they're having a soft-launch.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Well, the race/class arrangement is better than EQ2's. You can buy either of them right from the start and you don't need to buy racial packs, just the one you want.
    Not convinced about the item unlock at all, though. Looking at it in-store, it's $5 for one item? Really? That's just silly, no one will pay that. SOE still feels a bit stuck in the "F2P exists to encourage subs" mindset, rather than thinking of F2P players as valid customers. Still, might just be a wonky description, someone said it was $5 for 5 items- paying a dollar for a gold item isn't too bad, you're not likely to get 15 of those a month in my experience.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    http://forums.station.sony.com/vg/posts/list.m?start=0&topic_id=58089

Id like to point people towards this post, maybe we can piggy back on this idea and join the guild they are forming for this and mjust screw around once a week in a dedicated group.

Draeven on

• Options
    Might wanna edit that, there's ASCII garbage at the end of that URL.

• Options
    Ok, there we go.

• Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    So, what happens to my existing account and character?

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    It should still exist, as long as they weren't below level 10. they had a server merge a couple years ago by the sound of it to the last 2 servers so the purged all the characters below lvl 10. thouh I don't know about the equipment etc.

• Options
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    So, what happens to my existing account and character?
    They're still there. And past subscribers get all 8 character slots.

Also, it seems it's $2.50 to get 5 item unlocks. That's pretty reasonable actually, 30 items for a month's worth of sub.

• Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    Oh, I wondered if anyone was going to revive this thread after I saw news of the F2P soft launch. I still remember the repeated GM petitions we had to get trying to run through cragwind ridge for the weapon quest there, so I got a kick over the fact they've completely overhauled it to not suck.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    oh man if a bunch of the old pa guild people are going to try it out again I'd love to come back as well. Vanguard was one of my favorite MMO's

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Nothing says fun like a chaotic dungeon run. This ended up being like 4 adds in a row and we had to run out for our dear lives.

vg_dungeon.jpg

• Options
    I do have a couple chrs in the 20s and and mid 30s :P im playing the crap out of tsw right now though.

• Options
    We got 5 people interested in doing some once aweek dungeon runs with new chracters starting at lvl 10 ? and just do dungeons nothing else with those characters ?

• Options
    flammiebcflammiebc Registered User regular
    I tried getting back into this with my 47 disciple, but seeing every single quest reward marked "gold membership only" just left a bad taste in my mouth. I did have a 26 psionicist I might be able to use for partying, assuming I remember how all the skills and combos worked...been too long, and I think all my skillbars got reset since I last played too.

Switch: SW-7753-7176-1119
    PSN: LucidStar_BC
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    All your quests have gold item rewards? Man, end game questing in this game sounds sweet (more likely they've not gone through all the quests to adjust the rewards yet). So far the only Gold Only quest rewards I've seen were a class quest weapon, the Hunter's League golden gear and the URT golden gear.
    Honestly, at 50c a pop? Unlocking items ain't no thang. Especially if you only buy SC on double/triple sales.

Was just reminding myself how my Psionicist worked and died 3 times in a row to bugs. General chat was yakking about how awesome harsh death penalties were, so I made a snippy comment. 5 seconds later a GM teleports in, gives me my EXP back and asks me nicely not to swear in general chat. That's more GM that I'd seen since the game's first year, so kudos for that. <3

Glal on