As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Discussions of Wil Wheaton's cardboard nerd-cred consolidated here.

• JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Played DESCENT 2 at WBC last week. On the ol' 10 scale I'd give it a 7. Closer to the GEARS OF WAR boardgame than its predecessor. For the trade-off of shorter scenarios with a much smaller footprint and faster playing time you lose the tactical depth provided in many of DESCENT 1's encounters.

Saw a game named CLAUSTROPHOBIA being played at WBC, had not heard of that one, looks like another dungeon crawl game, this one imported from Poland maybe ? Anybody have any experience with it ?

I'm curious how you think Descent 2e loses the tactical depth of the first Descent, As someone who played a lot of the first Descent, and am around 15 plays of Descent 2e, I don't find that to be the case at all.

I finally get to try Twilight Struggle tonight after Amazon delivered my copy today. Reading over the rules the game seems pretty simple, anything I should know before diving in?

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Poor House is off the fucking hook.

Certainly a potential game changer, making no money all action decks a weird possibility.

• ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I don't know about you guys, but every once in a while I will get a level of excitement for a board game that will just own my soul until it comes out.

X-Wing Miniature Game now has me in its iron grip.

FFG has done previews for the
    Base Set
    X-wing exp - Lots of ways to upgrade
    Y-wing exp - Ion Cannon sounds pretty awesome
    Tie Advanced exp - Vader is gonna be OP
    Tie Fighter exp - Swarm tactics!

I'm pretty sure I need this game now. I am on the verge of buying a base set and each expansion. After seeing the point totals, I will expand from there. They better come out with Tie Interceptors and A-wings ASAP.

Anyone with Wings of War experience able to talk about the simultaneous action selection? My only worry is that the game will devolve into an endless circling of each other...

ObiFett on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Saw a game named CLAUSTROPHOBIA being played at WBC, had not heard of that one, looks like another dungeon crawl game, this one imported from Poland maybe ? Anybody have any experience with it ?

It's a two-player only affair that has some neat features. I did a column on it but traded it to my group's resident Warhammer Fan/wargamer for Belfort.

Good review, thanks.

• TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    JWashke wrote: »
    I finally get to try Twilight Struggle tonight after Amazon delivered my copy today. Reading over the rules the game seems pretty simple, anything I should know before diving in?

Read the rules again. Then read the sections on coups and realignment rolls again. And maybe one last time.

I initially thought that when you had 0 influence in a country, if you fail a realignment roll you add opponent influence, like a coup. Nope. Awful mistake. Made realignments horrible, rather than the incredibly useful tool they are.

Tayrun on
    edited August 2012
    Tayrun wrote: »

Read the rules again. Then read the sections on coups and realignment rolls again. And maybe one last time.

I initially thought that when you had 0 influence in a country, if you fail a realignment roll you add opponent influence, like a coup. Nope. Awful mistake. Made realignments horrible, rather than the incredibly useful tool they are.

Thanks, I actually didn't see this before I left and made that exact mistake, we never used realignments the whole game because of that. I'll have to read through the whole rulebook again before the next game.

On the plus side my girlfriend thought the game was great, and asked if we could play another game tomorrow. I have to resist scouring BGG for strategy to give myself an unfair advantage.

ObiFett wrote: »
    I don't know about you guys, but every once in a while I will get a level of excitement for a board game that will just own my soul until it comes out.

X-Wing Miniature Game now has me in its iron grip.

FFG has done previews for the
    Base Set
    X-wing exp - Lots of ways to upgrade
    Y-wing exp - Ion Cannon sounds pretty awesome
    Tie Advanced exp - Vader is gonna be OP
    Tie Fighter exp - Swarm tactics!

I'm pretty sure I need this game now. I am on the verge of buying a base set and each expansion. After seeing the point totals, I will expand from there. They better come out with Tie Interceptors and A-wings ASAP.

Anyone with Wings of War experience able to talk about the simultaneous action selection? My only worry is that the game will devolve into an endless circling of each other...

It's been a while since I played Wings of War, but I remember endless circling being a bit of an issue with only 1 or 2 planes per side, but when you start playing larger matches its not so much of a problem. Also Wings of War had a rule called tailing, where if you were on someones tail, they had to reveal their first action card to you before you chose your actions. And if all else fails just bring lots of Y-Wings with 360 degree ion cannons. PEW PEW PEW.

FFG has me jonesing real bad right now with X-Wing and Android: Netrunner on the horizon.

JWashke on
    steam_sig.png
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    OMG. We played a 7 player BSG game tonight with exodus. The person making the loyalty deck included 3 You are a Cylon cards by accident. It was Cylon Leader + 3 Cylons (all in a row) vs 3 humans. Then they stealthily put a cencurian on the track while there was like 2 confusing reveals in a row and we didn't notice until it was too late. They had been advancing it without us noticing. Worst game everrrrrr. Oh well at least I know how to be awesome with trauma tokens now!

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I cannot wait for FFG X-Wing. It looks so, so fantastic. Is CoolStuffInc a good place to order from? They've got pre-orders available for $26 and they list the MSRP as $40 so that's a pretty good price according to them. Is there a better place to order from?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    I keep trying to work up excitement for Descent 2.0. But I just consistently feel burned by FFG. More and more their rule sets are just chock full of holes, fiddly, inelegant, lumbering games. And, just to prove I'll never be happy, the games they've done that have been greatly streamlined or simplified offer almost no depth at all. The best decisions are immediately apparent to most people playing. So much so you see various FAQs or optional rules popping up to make vain attempts to re-level the playing field again. I think that's just their thing. Games as a roller coaster you go on over games as a tactical or strategic competition.

I think the only games of theirs that I've kept in my collection are Chaos in the Old World, Ad Astra, Ingenious and Runewars. And two of those weren't in house games. I've traded out Battles of Westeros, Citadels, Kingsburg, Death Angel, Blood Bowl, Dragonheart, Runebound, Warhammer: Invasion.

I'm actually extremely fascinated how much Fantasy Flight Games couldn't be more night and day from my new favorite publisher GMT Games. One is over the top flashy with all manner of multimedia advertising and slick artwork. The other is extremely humble and almost muted. One seems to have an extremely aggressive publishing strategy the other is extremely conservative. So far every GMT game I've played has had incredibly strong core mechanics with just the right amount of chrome on top that's just abstract enough to both apply well to the theme but not complicate the rules with too many exceptions.

But back to Descent 2.0. I'm probably going to pick it up at Gencon against my better judgement. I may very well be looking to trade or sell it in a month or two. So I guess that's a heads up to anyone who wants a copy of the second hand market and is patient :P

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Namrok wrote: »
    I'm actually extremely fascinated how much Fantasy Flight Games couldn't be more night and day from my new favorite publisher GMT Games. One is over the top flashy with all manner of multimedia advertising and slick artwork. The other is extremely humble and almost muted. One seems to have an extremely aggressive publishing strategy the other is extremely conservative. So far every GMT game I've played has had incredibly strong core mechanics with just the right amount of chrome on top that's just abstract enough to both apply well to the theme but not complicate the rules with too many exceptions.

While I'm also a bit of a GMT fanboy at present, I think we've been rather spoiled. If you harken back to the days of paper maps and less refined tokens, things might have been a bit different for the likes of you or I. I don't know that I would enjoy Twilight Struggle as much if the map wasn't properly mounted. I don't know how much I would like some of the games I love if the tokens were a bit less polished and pretty, or the cards for those that use them.
    These days I'm a man who enjoys well produced tokens and pushing wooden blocks around compared to using miniatures for all things. I like them in some things, generally as heroic characters (it's a nice touch in Shadows Over Camelot, for example), but cube, disks, and cones have an aesthetic I've quite come to love.

• SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm also really interested in X-Wing, but there's other stuff that comes in line before it right now, and I think I'd hardly ever get to play it (2 player, seems fairly complex)

edit:: Also, I'm sort of worried about how much you can do with just the base game, the rebels starting with just one single ship seems kinda dull. But I don't really know the system at all, so maybe it'll be enough.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • sartorisartori WA, USARegistered User regular
    OMG. We played a 7 player BSG game tonight with exodus. The person making the loyalty deck included 3 You are a Cylon cards by accident. It was Cylon Leader + 3 Cylons (all in a row) vs 3 humans. Then they stealthily put a cencurian on the track while there was like 2 confusing reveals in a row and we didn't notice until it was too late. They had been advancing it without us noticing. Worst game everrrrrr. Oh well at least I know how to be awesome with trauma tokens now!

This is why we build the loyalty deck while everyone is watching.

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I'm also really interested in X-Wing, but there's other stuff that comes in line before it right now, and I think I'd hardly ever get to play it (2 player, seems fairly complex)

edit:: Also, I'm sort of worried about how much you can do with just the base game, the rebels starting with just one single ship seems kinda dull. But I don't really know the system at all, so maybe it'll be enough.

I can see this game quickly escalating into small squadrons of ships and getting a bit expensive. On the other hand, I have a friend who enjoys a bit more complex and strategic games than my wife and her sister, so a nice two-player game for us is better than some of the games we've purchased in the past that need 3-4 players and have a hard time finding people for.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    New Sentinels delayed due to typhoons in/around China. :(

Sucks but can't be helped.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    X-wing is just wings of war with some frosting, right? There wasn't a whole, whole lot of depth there, to the point where you could play it several times in a row without getting bored.

What is this I don't even.
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Claustrophobia is good stuff. Had a lot of fun with it and, for once, a company actually lived up to its promise to deliver post-release support.

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I cannot wait for FFG X-Wing. It looks so, so fantastic. Is CoolStuffInc a good place to order from? They've got pre-orders available for $26 and they list the MSRP as $40 so that's a pretty good price according to them. Is there a better place to order from?

Your LGS, if you want to support them. CSI takes the Wal-Mart approach of selling just barely over cost and banks on making the difference in volume of sales. Most LGS hate them for it, much like most retail/grocery places hate Wal-Mart.

I'm all for supporting FLGS, but unfriendly ones can suffer for all I care. I have two near me. One of them sells everything at or over MSRP, including old games from the 80's licensed off of cancelled TV shows that have a layer of dust so thick you can't read the fine print. The other store is brand new, sells their games for about 25% off, stocks promos, and just generally has a stock of games more in tune with what's popular. I felt no moral issues what so ever not shopping at the first store and ordered online all the time. Since I've discovered the second store I try to shop there whenever I can.

Yeah, I'm not saying "boo online shopping, LGS ONRY". I buy stuff from Amazon, CSI, Miniature Market, et al all the time because it's something that's either a singleton item and my LGS can't get it, or I have a gift card, or whatever. But for most everything else I make a conscious decision to buy from my LGS, because I like them and want them to continue to thrive. If you have a LGS that you like going to and you would like to see them continue to succeed, consider making such preorders and purchases through them instead. (They may even cut you a deal for it, though not as heavy as CSI.) That's all I'm saying.

I'm all for supporting FLGS, but unfriendly ones can suffer for all I care. I have two near me. One of them sells everything at or over MSRP, including old games from the 80's licensed off of cancelled TV shows that have a layer of dust so thick you can't read the fine print. The other store is brand new, sells their games for about 25% off, stocks promos, and just generally has a stock of games more in tune with what's popular. I felt no moral issues what so ever not shopping at the first store and ordered online all the time. Since I've discovered the second store I try to shop there whenever I can.

I also love Victory Comics and hate Compleat Strategist.

There's also the fact that Strategist closes at fucking 5 o'clock on saturday so the staff can play D&D. SERIOUSLY, YOU FUCKS, I AM TRYING TO SPEND MONEY.

Darkewolfe wrote: »

There's also the fact that Strategist closes at fucking 5 o'clock on saturday so the staff can play D&D. SERIOUSLY, YOU FUCKS, I AM TRYING TO SPEND MONEY.

I'm so sick of FLGS owners treating their shop at a club to hang out with friends at instead of a business, and then wondering why people don't support them. The last one near me closed down about a year ago, but the highlight of shopping there was waiting at the register with over $100 of merchandise for over 10 minutes while the owner finished his turn in a Warmachine game. After that I just started ordering online, and wasn't surprised at all when I drove past it one day and it was out of business. I do miss have a local store when I just need 1 or 2 bottles of paint though.

steam_sig.png
    edited August 2012
    Hahah, I forgot you lived near me, don't you? I'm actually talking about Game Parlor (shitty store that just closed a location in Woodbridge and is now only located in Chantilly) and Huzzah Hobbies (great store that just opened in Loudon County)

Namrok on
    Holy shit hi local people o_O

I too am a Game Parlor refugee who has found shelter in the completely amazing Labyrinth Game Shop in eastern market. It's the best. Only downside is it's small. (FNM is 24 man hard cap and that packs the house elbow to elbow.)

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who Game Parlor has driven off. The last few games I tried to pre-order through them they just forgot to call me and put the game up on the shelf instead.

Super lame.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

I'm so sick of FLGS owners treating their shop at a club to hang out with friends at instead of a business, and then wondering why people don't support them. The last one near me closed down about a year ago, but the highlight of shopping there was waiting at the register with over $100 of merchandise for over 10 minutes while the owner finished his turn in a Warmachine game. After that I just started ordering online, and wasn't surprised at all when I drove past it one day and it was out of business. I do miss have a local store when I just need 1 or 2 bottles of paint though.

This is what I remind myself whenever I'm playing a board game with one of the owners of my FLGS and he has to step away for twenty minutes to run the register - it is a business first, I should be happy for him.

sartori wrote: »

This is why we build the loyalty deck while everyone is watching.

This is why I always consult the rulebook when building the loyalty deck, even if we just finished a game.

Hahah, I forgot you lived near me, don't you? I'm actually talking about Game Parlor (shitty store that just closed a location in Woodbridge and is now only located in Chantilly) and Huzzah Hobbies (great store that just opened in Loudon County)

Ohh, ok, yeah. I went to Game Parlor once, I think. Was that the ginormous store with the huge play area, where you had to pay like $2.50 an hour to play, or have bought something that day?

I've gone to Labyrinth. They are insanely nice people. Even though their shop is tiny, I would go there more often, but I'm too lazy to go into Eastern Market most of the time.

You guys should try Victory Comics. Decent sized gaming space, WINDOWS AND SUNLIGHT, etc. They mostly sell at MSRP, but I'm willing to pay it for the space usually.

edited August 2012
    I ordered something out of stock once and it took 7 weeks to even show up in the store.

I'd ask every week and nobody knew when it was going to come in, or would make any effort to find out. I ended up buying it online in the meantime, though by that point it was too late (it was for a Warmachine tourney and not having the bits meant I fell behind the required curve for games played at a certain point value)

The combination of that plus the general attitude that I started getting from some of the shopkeeps that I was essentially an inconvenience to them by even being in the store was pretty much the last straw. It was already hard to shop there (WHY DO YOU HAVE GARBAGE FROM THE 1980s THAT IS SUNBLEACHED TO FUCK STILL ON THE SHELF AT MSRP) and when the customer service went out I was done.

Nullzone on
    edited August 2012
    X-wing is just wings of war with some frosting, right? There wasn't a whole, whole lot of depth there, to the point where you could play it several times in a row without getting bored.

I haven't played wings of war so I'm not sure.

But X-wing has different pilots (for each type of ship), ship upgrades, weapon upgrades, and power cards that should keep it interesting. Plus shields and missiles should keep it different from WoW, right?
    ArcSyn wrote: »

CoolStuffInc does seem pretty cheap but they are out of Tie Advanced pre-orders. I NEED all the ships at the start!

ObiFett on
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    I actually live by the physical location of Cool Stuff Games (online retailer), which pretty much already has the best online price for games... I can go into their physical location and buy the game without paying shipping! Yay!

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    I just got a copy of tide of iron and panzer general for free. How are they?

Tide of Iron is - to use the latest overused phrase here - broken.

At least the base game scenarios are. Almost ALL the scenarios are ridiculously stacked in favor of the Americans. The first scenario might be split 70/30, there's one scenario the Germans have a decent shot at if they know exactly what to do, and the Battle of the Bulge scenario is almost literally impossible for the Americans to win. The rest? Pretty much auto wins for the Americans.

One thing that doesn't help the Germans is the way damage against tanks works. You probably know that German tanks were heavier, but always outnumbered. Instead of the more realistic "penetrate or bounce off", you add the total firepower of all firing tanks to penetrate together. The Americans always have enough tanks to outright kill a Tiger's frontal armor from long range.

It really would have helped if they went the Warhammer route and let you build your own armies using a points system.

Sweet! Another propaganda game to put next to Axis and Allies on my shelf!

Well, the problem is just with the scenario designs rather than the game mechanics themselves. I hear the expansions have better scenarios. But then it turns into an instance of spending more money to fix a broken game. Maybe just download the expansion scenario setups? Look for custom scenarios online?

All this talk of X-Wing, it looks exactly like Star Warriors. If you can find an old copy I highly recommend it. It was insanely detailed the tactics you could get into and even let you take on Star Destroyers.

• alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    A side note: F- YEAH my Zombicide abomination pack got delivered today!

• TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    So Castles of Burgundy is a very solid Euro game. And it is very Euro, despite somehow incorporating dice into the works. Short play-time, good ratio of depth to rules, and some of the best mechanics dealing with die rolls I've seen. The rolls you get matter without there being a point where a roll is truly 'bad' (it only goes down to mediocre). The closest comparison I can make is to Alien Frontiers, but even then Castles of Burgundy does things very differently. Good stuff.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    New Dominion: Dark Ages preview:

darkagespreview4.png

(Apparently the Rats stack has 20 copies in it.)

EDIT: Speaking of X-Wing, the Rulebook's up.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    I'm more than a little surprised by the amount of violence implicit to that card art. People who know the designer tell me that she's an un-reconstructed hippie who has steadfastly resisted even the appearance of armed conflict in DOMINION up to now.

Which Compleat Strategist ? Are you in NYC ?

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Oh sure, rub it in ...
    *International doesn't go out until after Gen-Con ...*

edited August 2012

Which Compleat Strategist ? Are you in NYC ?

Nah, it's the DC area one. Same ownership I think.

Darkewolfe on
  • alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    Oh sure, rub it in ...

'merica F-yeah!

photobucket-1381-1344560033860.jpg

• R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    alqadim wrote: »
    Oh sure, rub it in ...

'merica F-yeah!

photobucket-1381-1344560033860.jpg

Do you keep the Marro Hive out for looks?

steam_sig.png
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Speaking of X-wing, the Rulebook's up.

Even more excited after reading the rules.

Any Wings of War vets read the rules and notice significant differences?