As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

LGBTT: It's Raining DOMA Rulings! (It's for Thread)

• Options
    VargVarg Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Who the fuck is Bret Easton Ellis?

I ask myself this question everytime he says this type of crap. He doesn't seem to be worth remembering beyond reading the inane tweets.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    I think there is something wonderfully subversive about a bunch of puritanically-repressed middle aged moms jerkin' their stuff to a stealth gay.

• Options
    MelksterMelkster Registered User regular
    Matthew Bomer looks like Super Man.

Which makes me think: Why the hell hasn't there a gay super hero?

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    "Brett Easton Ellis is passionate about someone noticing him."

please

please pay attention to me

please....

• Options
    There've been a few, actually.

Ooh really? Which ones? Any that have been made into movies/TV shows?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Melkster wrote: »

There was a push recently. Marvel had a gay wedding between Northstar and his boyfriend, and DC's recent reboot has Green Lantern Alan Scott as a young gay man. Plus the new Batwoman a few years back was always a lesbian, Renee Montoya is as well (and had a fairly serious portrayal of workplace and family discrimination in Gotham Central).

No big A-listers yet, but it's not nothing.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

Alan Scott is the most recent gay superhero; he's the original Green Lantern. Also, Barbara Kane (Batwoman) is a lesbian.

In Ultimate X-Men, Colossus is gay, as is Northstar from Alpha Flight.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular

Off the top of my head, Hulkling, Wiccan (who are dating, last I heard), Batwoman, and Alan Scott. None of them have had media produced outside of the books, but that's true for virtually every hero anyway.

• Options
    Cool! I had no idea.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

There was a push recently. Marvel had a gay wedding between Northstar and his boyfriend, and DC's recent reboot has Green Lantern Alan Scott as a young gay man. Plus the new Batwoman a few years back was always a lesbian, Renee Montoya is as well (and had a fairly serious portrayal of workplace and family discrimination in Gotham Central).

No big A-listers yet, but it's not nothing.

Montoya? Awesome. One more reason to love BTAS.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    I fully expect a hilarious response from Robert Pattinson.

He is my favorite actor simply for all the crazy stuff he does when not too busy acting.

• Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    edit: wrong thread

MrMister on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    As has been pointed out repeatedly, such a vast majority of denominations in this country are anti-gay that it isn't an unfair generalization.

It sure as hell isn't bigotry, and that third-grade level of deflection isn't going to be very effective in this thread.

It is the EXACT definition of bigotry and your repeated, bizzare insistance it isn't will not change that fact.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Alan Scott was in an episode of JLU and Batman: Brave and the Bold.

Well before he was "outed" but there it is.

So it's not like making Batman gay or something.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    As has been pointed out repeatedly, such a vast majority of denominations in this country are anti-gay that it isn't an unfair generalization.

It sure as hell isn't bigotry, and that third-grade level of deflection isn't going to be very effective in this thread.

It is the EXACT definition of bigotry and your repeated, bizzare insistance it isn't will not change that fact.
    Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot, defined by Merriam-Webster as "a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance".

In exactly the same way that saying, "Very few natural redheads are Asian-American" is factual, saying, "A vast majority of denominations of Christianity specifically outline a doctrine which is anti-gay" is also factual, and not, in fact, bigotry.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

Bigotry is the state of mind of a bigot, defined by Merriam-Webster as "a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices; especially: one who regards or treats the members of a group (as a racial or ethnic group) with hatred and intolerance".

In exactly the same way that saying, "Very few natural redheads are Asian-American" is factual, saying, "A vast majority of denominations of Christianity specifically outline a doctrine which is anti-gay" is also factual, and not, in fact, bigotry.

Except not at all because A: you're not quantifying it with a ngative trait and B: you're not make it an absolute which is exactly what's happening in the thread and in the LGBT community.

Change that example to "natural red-heads are all thieves" and the metaphor will match.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »
    I fully expect a hilarious response from Robert Pattinson.

He is my favorite actor simply for all the crazy stuff he does when not too busy acting.

Isn't he busy being broken up about Kristen Stewart right now?

• Options

No it isn't.

• Options

No it isn't.

Labeling all members of a group with a hateful trait, in this case "homophobes"" when it's not true and wishing they were all dead which YOU YOURSELF did a few pages ago very much is.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Saying "a lot of Christians are anti gay" is not an unfair generalization nor is it bigotry.

Extending it to "all Christians are anti gay" is an unfair generalization and approaches bigotry in some cases.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    Intolerance of intolerance isn't.

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Saying "a lot of Christians are anti gay" is not an unfair generalization nor is it bigotry.

Yup, I agree.
    Extending it to "all Christians are anti gay" is an unfair generalization and approaches bigotry in some cases.

Nope, that's exactly bigotry. I think the weird disconnect is it's only bigotry if you use "anti gay" as something bad tho. So it's bigotry if we say it but just wishful thinking if, say, someone from Westboro Baptist said it.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Infidel wrote: »
    Intolerance of intolerance isn't.

Feel free to loath any homophobe you want but that's not even vaguely what we're discussing here.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    We're loathing homophobic groups.

Any groups that aren't anti-gay aren't bring talked about, pretty convenient.

• Options

No it isn't.

Labeling all members of a group with a hateful trait, in this case "homophobes"" when it's not true and wishing they were all dead which YOU YOURSELF did a few pages ago very much is.

Oh you.

8->

• Options

And yet

I think christians are a little sensitive on this and need to get over it, but there's a lot of wrong flying around too.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Well, that's what I'm trying to convey. You can't label Christians as a homophobic group anymore. There's a very notable percentage, even if it's a still an over all minority, of individual Christians, entire churches and whole denominations that openly accept homosexuals and don't even vaguely consider it a sin. Hell, there's even a black sheep Catholic church in my city that felt the same way although they did eventually get the smackdown from the local bishop or whatever and had to do the acceptance on the down low.

• Options

No it isn't.

Oh you.

8->

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick about this and I can totally see where you're coming from and all but there are some really nice folks out there now and there's getting to be more of them every day. I just want people to be able to realize that it is actually getting better.

• Options
    This is the wrong thread for this, but as an offshoot, do you all consider Catholics Chritians? Because I get seriously taken to task by members of both groups for referring to Catholics as Christians.

What up with dat. Anyone know?

• Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    Godfather wrote: »
    MuddBudd wrote: »
    Good Morning! Welcome to Depressed! Population: You!

Pastor Orders His Flock to Beat Gay Couple Arriving At Church
    No one would be surprised to learn that there are right-wing Christians in this country who disapprove of homosexuality. Neither would it come as a surprise that in rural parts of this country, Christianity and homosexuality when brought together, can create a highly combustible mix.

But who could imagine the hate and rage that would motivate a Pastor to instruct deacons and members of his congregation, Grace Fellowship Church in Fruitland, TN. to physically attack a couple arriving in the church parking lot last Wednesday?

The fact that one of the gay men attacked happened to be the Pastor’s own son, Jerry Pittman, Jr., no doubt contributed to Pittman senior’s noxious edict. According to Pittman Jr., after hearing his Dad yell, “SICK’EM!:”

“My uncle and two other deacons came over to the car per my dad’s request. My uncle smashed me in the door as the other deacon knocked my boyfriend back so he couldn’t help me, punching him in his face and his chest. The other deacon came and hit me through my car window in my back.”

The attackers also verbally assaulted the couple continually with anti-gay verbiage which continued even after a Sheriff’s Deputy arrived on the scene. Bystanders and other congregants made no effort to stop the assault. For that matter, neither did the Deputy Sheriff. Once the barrage of punches ended, the Deputy refused to let the two victims press charges.

Jerry Pittman Jr. and his boyfriend, Dustin Lee, have since filed charges against two of the men who beat them as well as Pastor Jerry Pittman. A hearing has been scheduled in Gibson County Court for Tuesday, October 4th.

One can’t help but wonder if Pastor Pittman really thinks Jesus would back him up on this assault?

I posted this article on my Facebook feed a bit earlier and now my older sis is asking me 'why I would post this' and 'wants to chat with me after work'

Man I am really getting tired of getting chewed out by my family for things like this :(

There is always the fact that you can say "No, sis. Sorry." and not meet with her or 'chat' with her. I never apologize to my friends or family for my beliefs.

• Options
    This is the wrong thread for this, but as an offshoot, do you all consider Catholics Chritians? Because I get seriously taken to task by members of both groups for referring to Catholics as Christians.

Catholics are Christians.

Most of what's up with dat is hundreds of years of protestant/catholic warfare for the True Church.

Basically, regardless of how similar two people are to one another, they will stab each other in the eye over any difference.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

No it isn't.

Oh you.

8->

Seriously, I'm not trying to be a dick about this and I can totally see where you're coming from and all but there are some really nice folks out there now and there's getting to be more of them every day. I just want people to be able to realize that it is actually getting better.

You are trying to be disingenuous. Really really hard.

When I point out the very small number of sects who do not, in fact, promote anti-gay nonsense, and thus conclude that Christianity is overwhelmingly anti-gay, you come right back and say

"You said all Christians are bigots!"

It's not even possible to take that away from what i said.

This bullshit narrative where contemporary American Christians are somehow being oppressed or victimized is 100% constructed garbage. A cynical political ploy to silence liberals, who themselves are allergic to being accused of intolerance.

The more you engage in this, the less I am willing to believe your claims that you are one of the good Christians and not part of the shitty majority.

If you want to be counted among the good guys, you should really stop parroting the party line of the bad guys.

And that's really all I have to say on that. If you feel like I am a bigot, fine. I really don't give any fucks how you think of me.

• Options

No it isn't.

Oh you.

8->

You are trying to be disingenuous. Really really hard.

When I point out the very small number of sects who do not, in fact, promote anti-gay nonsense, and thus conclude that Christianity is overwhelmingly anti-gay, you come right back and say

"You said all Christians are bigots!"

It's not even possible to take that away from what i said.

This bullshit narrative where contemporary American Christians are somehow being oppressed or victimized is 100% constructed garbage. A cynical political ploy to silence liberals, who themselves are allergic to being accused of intolerance.

The more you engage in this, the less I am willing to believe your claims that you are one of the good Christians and not part of the shitty majority.

If you want to be counted among the good guys, you should really stop parroting the party line of the bad guys.

And that's really all I have to say on that. If you feel like I am a bigot, fine. I really don't give any fucks how you think of me.

Dood, I am not even vaguely a Christian. I don;t know how you got that. No way, no how. I was an athiest at 11 and have never seen any reason to change and boy howdy do I love to take it up the ass.

And yeah, no, Christianity is not being oprressed or victimized. It's certainly being challenged, even from within, and thank goodness for that.

And if you didn't give a fuck you wouldn't be responding plus you'd be a huge asshole to everyone ever and you most certainly aren't.

• Options

Catholics are Christians.

Most of what's up with dat is hundreds of years of protestant/catholic warfare for the True Church.

Basically, regardless of how similar two people are to one another, they will stab each other in the eye over any difference.

See, that's what I always thought too but the quite insistant denial of that from concerned parties has always kind of shocked me.

• Options
    tapeslingertapeslinger Space Unicorn Slush Ranger Social Justice Rebel ScumRegistered User regular

Well, that's what I'm trying to convey. You can't label Christians as a homophobic group anymore. There's a very notable percentage, even if it's a still an over all minority, of individual Christians, entire churches and whole denominations that openly accept homosexuals and don't even vaguely consider it a sin. Hell, there's even a black sheep Catholic church in my city that felt the same way although they did eventually get the smackdown from the local bishop or whatever and had to do the acceptance on the down low.
    So, you're saying the majority of Christians don't adhere to one of the basic ideals of Christianity ("love thy neighbor as thyself") and there is, by any standard, only the minority who are open-minded enough to accept that some of those "neighbors" might be gay and deserve equal civil rights?

Because what I am reading here is more in the exception-which-proves-the-rule territory

perhaps you find it offensive for some of us to call out Christians on this hypocrisy; perhaps some of us find it offensive for someone to stand here and say "not ALL Christians hate The Gays et al...just the majority" and not expect to be treated like a bit of a pedant

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Well I guess there is a first time for everything.

I assumed you are Christian because I have never seen a non-Christian so eager to defend the faith from stereotypes that are only mostly-true but not completely true all of the time.

I am not an atheist, but actually a deist. Like most deists I'm culturally Christian, non-religious, and feel like Christ was pretty close to right about everything* but his followers are almost perfect in their ability to get everything wrong ever.

-edit- * in terms of morality of course, not theology

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    All black people live in the inner city.

All gays have great fashion sense.

All Jews are good with money.

All Scotsman are cheap with money.

Somehow those aren't okay to say, but All Christians hate the gays is?

Fucking please, people.

Many Christians are anti gay bigots, not all and blaming every Christian for it is intellectually lazy and dishonest.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure no one said all Christians hate the gays.

Maybe we can lay that to rest.

Better yet, bury the religious discussion in a ditch and fill it in, since it is the #1 foremost cause of LGBT threads being drug off topic and locked.

It's happened to probably 5 or 6 past threads and it starts basically like this.

• Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    It is probably the number one cause for all D&D topics going off topic and getting locked.