As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

US Congressional Elections 2012: Scott Brown, Diviner of Ancestry!

• gbensongbenson Registered User new member
    The anti Ron Paul/Kurt Bills ad is not the only ad from the Carlson campaign.

Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GT_FAt5a2c&feature=plcp

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    So I am going to be voting in the Democratic Primaries this week, and I am kind of lost on where to get info on who is on the ballot before I go to the polls.

Manatee County Florida.

Can anyone help out two easily overlooked congressional liaisons who really should know better??

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    So I am going to be voting in the Democratic Primaries this week, and I am kind of lost on where to get info on who is on the ballot before I go to the polls.

Manatee County Florida.

Can anyone help out two easily overlooked congressional liaisons who really should know better??

Check your Supervisor of Elections website. They should have a sample ballot up and you can use that to do your research.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular

Manatee County Florida.

Check your Supervisor of Elections website. They should have a sample ballot up and you can use that to do your research.

Thanks, but since I am on the rolls as NPA it is only showing me the nonpartisan sample ballot.

• AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

Manatee County Florida.

Thanks, but since I am on the rolls as NPA it is only showing me the nonpartisan sample ballot.
    @Just_Bri_Thanks
    Does Florida let you people in our primaries? I thought we were a closed primary state.

I think my county has both sample ballots posted, let me see if I can dig a dem one up for you.

AManFromEarth on
    Lh96QHG.png
    @Just_Bri_Thanks

Here's the State "unofficial" candidate database. You can search for your specific races.

Also there's this:
    Closed Primaries

Florida is a closed primary state. In a primary election, voters may only vote for candidates in their party of registration. By not selecting a party when you register to vote, your vote is limited in the primaries to only judges and issues. In the General Election, party affiliation is not an issue. You may vote for any candidate, regardless of party preference.

So I'm a little confused about you getting in to vote, but I wish you luck and I'm sure you've got it figured out.

Lh96QHG.png
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Kate Upton's uncle (Fred, who's a Republican representing Whirlpool which the Uptons own) apparently was facing a primary challenge apparently. And won.

And it looks like Pete Hoekstra is going to get crushed by Stabenow instead of the other yahoo. Which boooooooo.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    I don't remember it being that way last time I voted.

Well we're definitely a closed primary and have been for a really long time, at least since I registered to vote ~2005.

Like, the sample ballot it gives you is the ballot you'll be given when you go to vote. Or at least it's supposed to be.

Lh96QHG.png
    Mind. Blown.

• Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    http://tndp.org/blog/2012/08/03/tennessee-democrats-disavow-senate-candidate-mark-clayton/
    NASHVILLE – The Tennessee Democratic Party released the following statement in response to Mark Clayton receiving the most votes in the Democratic Primary for US Senate.

“The only time that Clayton has voted in a Democratic primary was when he was voting for himself. Many Democrats in Tennessee knew nothing about any of the candidates in the race, so they voted for the person at the top of the ticket. Unfortunately, none of the other Democratic candidates were able to run the race needed to gain statewide visibility or support.

“Mark Clayton is associated with a known hate group in Washington, D.C., and the Tennessee Democratic Party disavows his candidacy, will not do anything to promote or support him in any way, and urges Democrats to write-in a candidate of their choice in November.”

I'm so angry I could chew the head off a kitten. People don't fucking deserve democracy in this country. If I had an army of Me-clones or cyborgs I would fucking take this shit over so fast and really show them how a dictatorship is done. They've done it, they've finally done it. I'm a Batman villain.

I'm so very, very sorry.

In the electorate's defense I have not seen or heard a single ad for any of the Democratic candidates over the past six months, and I live in Shelby County, which is deeply, deeply blue.

Edit: As a point of comparison, there were constant radio ads for fucking school board, so it's not like we're a ridiculously expensive market or anything.

Salvation122 on
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, the Dems have pretty much ceded Kentucky/Tennessee. I imagine West Virginia will join them in the near future. Whenever Jay Rockefeller retires and Manchin officially switches parties.

enlightenedbum on
  • adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    So. Pete Hoekstra of 'Debbie Spend-It-Now' infamy won his primary in Michigan.

Let the bloodbath begin.

NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

Let the bloodbath begin.
    That's a win-win race for the Dems.

Thanatos wrote: »

Let the bloodbath begin.

???

Unless you mean we'll be electing a pretty good Senator and beating a gigantic asshole.

edited August 2012

Let the bloodbath begin.
    ???

Unless you mean we'll be electing a pretty good Senator and beating a gigantic asshole.
    We either get a Dem in the seat, or a crazy, gaffe-prone Republican, a.k.a. "the best Democratic fundraiser that exists."

Also, the crazier the party gets, the easier it is to marginalize them.

Thanatos on
    That is not win-win. That is win-huge motherfucking loss.

• SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular

Let the bloodbath begin.
    ???

We either get a Dem in the seat, or a crazy, gaffe-prone Republican, a.k.a. "the best Democratic fundraiser that exists."

It's good that the Tea Party has made the GOP so much saner these past 4 years.

• PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    One of the few NYC Republicans in the House:
    NYT
    When Representative Michael G. Grimm, a first-term Staten Island Republican, went on a fact-finding trip abroad last year, he widely publicized his first stop, Israel, sending off a stream of messages about his activities there via Twitter. But he was largely silent about his second stop, Cyprus.

In fact, Mr. Grimm did not file required paperwork about the trip, which was paid for by a private organization, with the House clerk, according to Congressional records. Nor did he initially report the Cyprus trip on his Congressional financial disclosure filing in May, even though he did list the Israel trip, according to the records.

But in June, Mr. Grimm amended his financial disclosure filing to report the Cyprus trip, the records show. The amended filing came one day after his host on the trip, Peter Papanicolaou, the president of the Cyprus Federation of America, which paid for the $6,890 visit, was arrested in Brooklyn on federal corruption charges.

Prosecutors accused Mr. Papanicolaou of treating an official of the city’s Department of Housing Preservation and Development to a free trip to Greece as part of a scheme to gain city contracts. Mr. Papanicolaou’s construction company in Brooklyn was awarded $95 million in department contracts between 2002 and 2008, according to city records.
    Mr. Grimm has come under scrutiny in recent months after The New York Times reported that three contributors to his 2010 race said that Mr. Grimm or his chief fund-raiser informed donors that his campaign would find ways to accept illegal donations, including those that exceeded contribution limits, were given in cash or came from foreigners without green cards.

The United States attorney’s office in Brooklyn has since interviewed some of the donors, and several people briefed on the matter have said the office and the Federal Bureau of Investigation are examining Mr. Grimm’s 2010 campaign.

11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Florida election rule violations? People voting in primaries where they shouldn't be?

Goodness, that's just made-up nonsense. Or at least, it'll never happen in the general election. The primaries don't even really count right?

spool32 wrote: »
    Florida election rule violations? People voting in primaries where they shouldn't be?

Goodness, that's just made-up nonsense. Or at least, it'll never happen in the general election. The primaries don't even really count right?

What are you talking about?

Lh96QHG.png
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular

Who cares?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126

Your conversation up page, wherein somebody NPA nonetheless claims to have voted in the Dem primary.

@SyphonBlue are you trying to antagonize me again?

Your conversation up page, wherein somebody NPA nonetheless claims to have voted in the Dem primary.

-SyphonBlue are you trying to antagonize me again?

@Spool32

It was someone confused about voting law and not remembering the past correctly. The Florida primary hasn't happened yet.

Lh96QHG.png
    I read it as someone claiming to have voted in past primaries despite not being eligible, and wondering how to do it again. But OK, benefit of the doubt: applied.

edited August 2012

I cannot fucking eyeroll hard enough.

He could be mistaken. He could be remembering wrong. Or he could have just voted with a provisional ballot.

But no, the only possibility is that Democrats are breaking election laws in Florida to... well, given that it's a primary, and it's just Democrats running against other Democrats, I'm not really sure what they're trying to accomplish by doing it. But they're totally doing it! Nefariously, even!

wanker.gif

Thanatos on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Kind of sad that Darcy Burner lost to Del Bene, I mean I'm sure Susan stands a better chance against the GOP money machine, but Darcy seems so nice. As long as Koster doesn't win thats all good.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    She always loses though. She's bad at politics.

• LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

....Sorry to burst your bubble there Spool, but there IS a NPA ballot they give you when you go into the primaries. Basically, they just give you the ballot that your voter ID card says you should get. It sounded to me that Just_Bri was simply confused and didn't realise he got the NPA ballot last time he went in.

Also, regional stuff is voted on too in FL primaries. Where, yes, Democratic party folks and Republicans folks are both shown on each version of the ballots.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
    She always loses though. She's bad at politics.

Well she lost prievously to Riechert who's district covers rural sister fucker king county. She'd have stood a better chance in District 1, though we did just put fucking john koster in the seat for a month, so way to go district 1.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Guys, I like to kick him when he's down Nixon style as much as anyone, but he already redacted:
    I read it as someone claiming to have voted in past primaries despite not being eligible, and wondering how to do it again. But OK, benefit of the doubt: applied.

Lh96QHG.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular

Let the bloodbath begin.
    ???

Yes, we will get a gaffe-prone republican that is crazy enough to marginalize.
    IN POWER.

Win-Win!

• LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    Guys, I like to kick him when he's down Nixon style as much as anyone, but he already redacted:

In fairness, I think we all just typed out our responses at the same time.

sig.gif
    edited August 2012

Let the bloodbath begin.
    ???

Yes, we will get a gaffe-prone republican that is crazy enough to marginalize.
    IN POWER.

Win-Win!

Hoekstra is losing most match ups prior to him being elected, I can't imagine he'll suddenly start winning those after he gets the actual nom. Thad McCotters seat might also flip blue because the Reindeer herder that won the primary is a fucking 9/11 truther.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    Lovely wrote: »

In fairness, I think we all just typed out our responses at the same time.

Could be, could be.

Lh96QHG.png
    edited August 2012

That was me, and I seem to have the recollection of there being an open Primary on the Dem side last I voted in a Primary. I don't recall when or where that was, as over the last 10 years I have lived in three states.

So bite me, you goose.

Edit: And the next time you accuse me of breaking a law you can do it to my face so I can break one for real by punching you.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Oh look I found REAL voter fraud
    Four staffers of former U.S. Rep. Thad McCotter, R-Livonia were charged today in connection with the false nominating petitions that led to McCotter’s departure from Congress.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette described the four as “not simply Keystone Kops running amok … criminal acts were committed.”

He said the petition forgeries and cut-and-paste jobs on the petitions “would make an elementary art teacher cringe.”

Schuette said the McCotter staffers also likely did the same thing in the 2008 elections, using 2006 petition signatures.

oops done by republicans

again

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    Oh look I found REAL voter fraud
    Four staffers of former U.S. Rep. Thad McCotter, R-Livonia were charged today in connection with the false nominating petitions that led to McCotter’s departure from Congress.

Michigan Attorney General Bill Schuette described the four as “not simply Keystone Kops running amok … criminal acts were committed.”

He said the petition forgeries and cut-and-paste jobs on the petitions “would make an elementary art teacher cringe.”

Schuette said the McCotter staffers also likely did the same thing in the 2008 elections, using 2006 petition signatures.

oops done by republicans

again

If only they had voter ID laws to stop this republican voter fraud... OH FUCKING WAIT THAT WOULDN'T DO A GOD DAMN THING!

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited August 2012
    You actually went Internet Tough Guy on me? While quoting the retraction? Seriously?

Good grief.

spool32 on
    You actually went Internet Tough Guy on me? While quoting the retraction? Seriously?

Good grief.

You are not forgiven, because I don't believe you have a contrite or sincere bone in your body.

This discussion has been closed.