As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    stever777 wrote: »
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    The militant Snake-Queen is now accepting envoys from her soon-to-be subjugated races.
    Remember, she can read your thoughts. :winky:
    Can she read ours? Wouldn't trying to read the minds of the Mindnet like... overload her?

You cannot overload the Snake-Queen mind with your puny Mindnet.

resistance.png

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    Listed Racial Techs are to be bought, not to start with, correct?
    That is correct, nobody starts with either of their racial technologies, they must be acquired during the game.
    When we set up the map, we go in player order but do we also place in hex order around the center, I.E. 1-1, 1-2, 1-3... or can we place anywhere in the ring when our turn comes up?
    When it is your turn to place a system, it may go in any unfilled space in the ring being filled.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    "Pom, pom, tiddly-pom... errr... pom." Regent Grimyt of the twin Universities of Jol and Nar, Dean of the Faculty of Arts, and three-time Galactic Water Polo Champion, ran a webbed finger over a stack of hyper-doctoral theses. Odd tradition, he thought, to still demand that they be turned in on sheets of pressed plant-fibers. Odder still for a University on an aquatic system. Might be a book in that somewhere.

The Regent waved a forefin at his terminal. "Why," he said "paper?"

He waved another forefin at the terminal, and there was a decidedly unhappy Bleep from the machine. He peered over at it myopically.

"Oh dear. I'll have to get someone to do something about this, I should think."

"... and so he called the Astronomy Department?"
    "Yes."
    "Not IT?"
    "Not, as you say, IT."
    "Because we know about stars?"
    "That," replied Professor Arbalest, "that and also he said that he thought we'd 'have a jolly good time with it.'"
    Associate Professor (Stellar Cartography) Zimzim was aghast. "Did you call IT?"
    "Of course I did, you insolent guppy! First thing. They said that he'd been making changes to the root files or some such technobabble. Also, he waited nearly a week to tell anyone about it, so it was far too late to fix."
    "He waited a week?"
    "Yes," sighed the Professor. "Apparently he was distracted by a new book he's writing. Personally, I wish it had been a Rapala."
    "Professor!" Zimzim was scandalized. You just didn't say things like that at the Universities.

There was a pregnant pause. Zimzim toyed idly with his terminal, and tried not to ask the obvious question. Every few seconds, however, he'd glance up and see Arbalest's cold eyes gleaming down at him from behind the desk.

"So," Zimzim said. "I should be-"
    "Getting started? Excellent, my boy! Great initiative! I shall expect a fully reconstructed Galactic map on my desk by mid-evening."

Zimzim almost went belly-up on the spot, but he pulled himself together. It was clear that Professor Arbalest was not pleased, and when Arbalest was unhappy the shit, as they say, drifted downstream.

Two hours later Zimzim sat forlornly before his terminal, a stack of ancient Galactic navigational charts arrayed before him.

This, he decided, is going to be a pain, but I might as well start at the beginning. The Muaat fled through Traitor's Gap, which was... over here somewhere, I think.

TL;DR
    Play Empty System in 1-5

No word from caliber yet, and as there are obviously several of us online at the moment I want to keep the game moving. Sorry caliber!

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    @stever777 is up next.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    @stever777 is up next.

Knew I forgot at least one thing. Thanks.

• Options
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    @stever777 is up next.

Knew I forgot at least one thing. Thanks.
    Don't worry about it. I find your characterisation of the Universities delightful.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Ah, right - if players wish to name the empty and red-bordered systems as they place them for identification purposes during the game, feel free to do so. Otherwise, I will handle the duties of labeling them.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Saved drafts save to the site itself right? Because if stever doesn't reappear soon I may have to make my selection post from work, and I'd hate to have to rewrite this out. :(

Also, where the hell are saved drafts on the site now? It moved in the last big update.

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    I haven't played this for a while, and never with the Creuss, but why the heck is their home system so close to L1Z1X? Surely that's a huge disadvantage to both sides.

Technically you can play versions of this where the locations of home systems are not fixed to equidistant on the outer ring. Shattered Ascension has some good preset maps and rules regarding this. It either forces early combat that pretty much destroys both sides involved, or diplomacy for most of the game. It creates a really interesting dynamic. They also introduced a bidding mechanic, so instead of having your home system and neighbors random, you have a little more say in where you start the game. Please note this is for a TI alternate ruleset and nothing to do with rules as written. So it isn't necessarily a terrible thing to be so close to one of your neighbors. The mutually assured destruction can actually be as much of a benefit as it can be a disadvantage.

Irrelevant in this case though as Blarney already clarified. Without any political cards changing the way wormholes work, the only way to get to my home system where my planet is located is to go through the D-Wormhole.

• Options
    stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Nerodia never liked Audits. Of course, he wasn't going to keep that thought in his fore-conscious while entering the Lab. Previous Suppressive Thoughts had been detected in his cortex and The Clear had noted it in his file. He had been marked as a possible Free-Thinker and sent to The Adjusters for a time. He believed it had all been made right but somehow those thoughts seemed to return more often than he would like.

Besides, he had work to do. The Galactic Mapping Council had chosen him to assist in the categorizing of systems, a large and important job, especially for a possible Problem Citizen. Perhaps, this was his chance to get his record cleansed.

The Clear looked wryly at Nerodia as he entered the Lab.
    "Ready?", the question entered his mind without resistance.
    "Yes.", thought Nerodia.
    "Then, we'll begin."

The E-Meter made its usual circular motion around his head, spinning and whining annoyingly. He felt a few tingling sensations at the back of his neck but nothing unpleasant. The Clear seemed to be eying the results with much interest, although not giving away any opinions in the process. Not much time had passed when the machine stopped.

"We're finished here.", The Clear communicated.
    "Really? Am I OK?", asked Nerodia.
    "You may go.", was the answer.

Nerodia wondered how the report would look but he had to hurry back to his lair to pour over star charts.
    The Suppressive Thoughts would have to wait.
    Hopefully, they would not interfere with his work.
    This may be his last chance and only way out.

Thibah (1R, 1I) 1-2

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Thanks for your info posts, Orange Soda! :^:

stever777 on

• Options
    Also, where the hell are saved drafts on the site now? It moved in the last big update.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/drafts

• Options
    The Overmind's update cycle refreshed. If the Overmind had possessed emotions, he might have felt something akin to pleasure. One of the newly assimilated members of the Mindnet had possessed valuable intellegence. Councillor 1r0n W3453l was nothing if not efficient in his duties. The Ghosts of Creuss had begun mobilization near the Shaleri Anomaly. The sub-space technology of the Creuss was well beyond that possesed by the Mindnet, if the Overmind had possessed emotions he would have been wary of them.

7h353 Cr3u55 4nd 7h3ir wormh013 73chn0l06y wi11 m4k3 3xc3113n7 4ddi7i0n5 70 7h3 c0113c7iv3, it thought.

Within nanoseconds the Overmind had dispatched orders to mobilize the Mindnet's Dreadnought war fleet.

Member 184.948.2-δ, formerly known as the Mentak Maulve, had indeed been a worthy acquisition. He possessed knowledge beyond that which the Councillor had sought, knowledge the Mindnet had yet to assimilate in all its long cycles in this galaxy. Smugglers are frowned upon elsewhere in the galaxy, but if the Overmind had had emotions, he would have had a healthy appreciation for them. Their guts and cunning made them excellent additions to the collective and they had a great tendency to possess knowledge of secret trade routes and star charts of lesser known systems. Such was the case with 184.948.2-δ. The former Mentak had been partial to a little known smuggler's route which he used to ferry black market supplies from Mecatol Rex to the adjacent Faunus system.

3xc3113n7, thought the Overmind. I7 h45 836un.

Faunus 1-3

@Orange Soda @SeGaTai

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I started writing my background fan fiction on the Yin, but it was just a bunch of clones not being able to tell each other apart. Then I realized I was just ripping off Abbot and Costello's "Who's on First?" routine :(

• Options
    W- why did you stop?

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    calibercaliber Registered User regular
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    I can't help but think of this when reading our backstory I cant help but think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ1dYrjuYf4&feature=related

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Oh, and for the record, Faunus' stats are:
    1R, 3I, G (x2)

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Sai Seravus stared into the monitor in front of him, cleared his mind, and began to speak.

"The Mentak smuggler has been made aware of our existence. That particular smuggler we have been monitoring for several trips through our system. There is very little chance of him not reaching the L1Z1X. Furthermore, he knows the lore and he knows the stories. He knows of us already, even if he doesn't completely understand who we are. The L1Z1X will be made aware of our existence as planned."

An image of Admiral Nerio nodded succinctly as he stared back at the Sai Seravus through the monitor. The runes on his helmet reflected his years spent in the Creuss military. He was well decorated and had participated in many of the important conflicts over the past 30 cycles. In the background Seravus could see the imperial shipyard's assembly lines working overtime to fabricate parts. They referred to this place as the Ghostyard and it is the chief manufacturing location for the Creuss fleet.

Admiral Nerio was not a Ghost of many words, but his reputation precedes him wherever he goes. He paused for a second as if he was thinking or processing information. Admiral Nerio is a tremendously skilled tactician and sometimes it seems like he possess the prescient ability to predict the outcome of future events.

"Although this plan is risky, we believe two things. The L1Z1X needed to know of our existence and we will need to extend a friendly hand to them rather than seek their outright destruction. We respect their desire to assimilate us, but the threat to their existence will not come from us. We need to warn them about the growing Naalu threat. Our probes have seen it through the wormholes. The naalu threat grows. We will need to send a formal envoy to the L1Z1X as soon as possible."

Sai Seravus had not been briefed on the growing Naalu threat. He knew that the Admiral was just being cautious, but Sai Seravus wasn't concerned about the Telepaths yet. Nerio was a brilliant tactician yes, but his downfall is that he is very narrow minded when it comes to war. Nerio forgets that their are other channels available for diplomacy besides crushing the ships of the beings that occupy this dimension. Before severing communication Seravus needed an important update from the Ghostyard.

"Admiral Nerio, how goes the preparations for the Hil Colish?"

"Sai Seravus, the fabrication is slow. We do not currently have the resources to finish the project. It could be months before we can complete the crowning glory of the Creuss empire."

"Thank you admiral, I will give you orders soon. Keep up work on the Hil Colish as you have the resources. We will be sending as much as we can to the Ghostyard to keep production going. In the mean time, I need you to appoint a replacement to oversee the Ghostyard. I have a mission for you. Begin work fabricating a new Carrier. I will need the Hin Donism."

"My smoke obeys, Sai"

Sai Seravus immediately contact his chief scientific officer on Creuss.

"Meian, this is Sai Seravus. I need an intel report on planets in our immediately vicinity, which are not currently occupied and also have abundant enough resources for us to set up a mining operation. "

"Sai, the data coming from our probes isn't completely processed yet. I will notify you as soon as we know any more information. We have confirmed the location of one planet that has marginal resources, but is located in close proximity to Mecatol Rex. We can mine it for resources and also be close enough to visit the Galactic Counsel. We should make contact with the other races of this galaxy. Think of how much they have to share with us and how much we have to share with them!"

Place Wellon (1R, 2I) at 1-4

• Options
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    Muaat and L1Z1X, I don't want to type up an RP post for this yet because it doesn't make sense thematically yet, but I would love to make trade agreements with both of you. All 3 of us can individually take out any of the other, but together we can be strong. I'd love to make it so that you can focus your attention outward, instead of inward. The cruess can make your life hell with the wormholes depending on how the board gets set up. I do not intend to make war with either of you unless you provoke it first. At such time, I will certainly finish the war. I'm not proposing anything binding yet, other than announcing my intention to offer trade agreements to both of you when Trade gets played.

• Options
    Your data has been added to the collective.

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Where can we read up on technologies? I don't see them in the manual.

• Options
    MrBody wrote: »

There was a link to the tech-tree in the OP I believe.

- Terence McKenna
  • Options
    MrBody wrote: »

There was a link to the tech-tree in the OP I believe.

I have no idea how to read that o_O

• Options
    edited August 2012
    It lists what each tech does, and then the arrows pointing from one tech to the next means the first tech was a pre-req for the one it was leading to? There are 2 different colors for the arrows because some are either/or pre-reqs and others are must have all pre-reqs. I play a fair bit of Civ V, so I guess I'm just used to what tech trees look like in 4X games. :/

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    calibercaliber Registered User regular
    Also all techs cost the same if you hadn't gotten to that part, except for our racial techs which cost the usual amount +X. And also also, some planets make research easier for certain colors.

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The Task Master sighed, gazing down at the pitted expanse of the ventilation pit. He had refused to move to the more comfortable government palace on the newly colonized world. This place on the warsun allowed him to see the past, the now decaying technology that had been stolen during their liberation and a reminder that no matter how peaceful the galaxy was right now it was always just on the razor's edge. The teeming mass of thousands of fiery forms toiling away also allowed hm to see the future, that they had now become burdened by this once symbol of freedom. It only existed for destruction no matter how poetic the propaganda his office put out.

He turned to the neatly laid out reports in front of him, printed on light-lead in bright orange symbols. The rumors of wars were always on his desk, but now they had grown beyond rumors. Ships taken by the collective, confirmed reports of inter dimensional ships, ancient forces awakening once more. And the hated enemy.

Physchohistory had never been his strong suit but the number did not lie. The fall of the peace that had shielded them from Jol-Nar would soon fade and the opportunities that presented themselves were very interesting indeed.

First though was rebuilding this symbol of freedom and turning it into a symbol of victory.

He wrote up a quick order and dropped it in the Labor Chute, then started on another.

Place Empty at 1-6

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    Lore wise, did you just blow up all the planets in 1-6?

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    We deny all charges that a proto-supernova device was used.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    @bertezbertez and @mrbody are up next for placement.

You have one location left in the inner ring to place a system. You then get to start on the first system of the 2nd ring. You can place it anywhere you want on this ring, but if you place an empty or red system, the next system you place must have a planet on it.

@void slayer and @jdarksun will then be up to place the 2nd system in the 2nd ring. Since you placed an empty system as your last system, this one must contain a system that has planets

• Options
    Looks like Orange Soda's got me covered on the notifications part, so here's a current map of what has been placed so far.

Current Map

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    bertezbertez and mrbody are up next for placement.

You have one location left in the inner ring to place a system. You then get to start on the first system of the 2nd ring. You can place it anywhere you want on this ring, but if you place an empty or red system, the next system you place must have a planet on it.

"void slayer" and jdarksun will then be up to place the 2nd system in the 2nd ring. Since you placed an empty system as your last system, this one must contain a system that has planets

Can the planets be smoking cinders orbiting a detonated star?

Again, we did not blow up any stars.

• Options
    Since some of the red systems have planets on them in Shards, is it now possible to place two red systems in a row, since the 2nd one would have a planet on it?

if so, that is a fun little change with Shards

• Options
    Since some of the red systems have planets on them in Shards, is it now possible to place two red systems in a row, since the 2nd one would have a planet on it?
    With the rules as written, this is indeed the case.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Can you provide a hypothetical example of such a system, for those of us who haven't played Shards?

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    Can you provide a hypothetical example of such a system, for those of us who haven't played Shards?
    There are two such systems potentially in the mix: Everra (3R, 1I) located in a Nebula system, and Cormund (2R, 0I) located in a Gravity Rift system.

Also, since it may be a little useful to know, the mix of systems that were distributed were 8 empty systems (two of which were set to be the empty systems containing the "A" and "B" wormholes), 4 red-bordered special systems (out of a set of 13 possible), and 20 standard systems containing worlds (out of a set of 39 possible). Two of the 32 systems were randomly discarded from the shuffled stack before distribution.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Options
    Thanks!

Currently Playing:
  • Options
    Anyone ID what my fiction is copying?