As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    It feels familiar, but I can't quite put my finger on it.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    If it feels familiar, you are in trouble.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    I just realized that I forgot to reveal the top card of the Public Objectives deck before we started map creation. But considering what it is, I don't feel any problems with revealing it now:

[1 VP] I now spend 3 Command Counters from my Command and/or Strategy Allocation areas.

Apologies for the mistake. We'll continue with map creation now.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I hate that objective! I like my CC's!

edit: Don't feel bad. I almost NEVER remember to do that before map creation.

Orange Soda on
  • calibercaliber Registered User regular
    Argle, that is a bad objective. To satisfy it we would spend 3 CC's during the end-round Status phase, correct (or by playing the primary Bureaucracy strategy I suppose ...)?

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    caliber wrote: »
    Argle, that is a bad objective. To satisfy it we would spend 3 CC's during the end-round Status phase, correct (or by playing the primary Bureaucracy strategy I suppose ...)?

3 CCs or 3 SA counters. :)

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    Correction, Overmind: the objective specifies Command and/or Strategy Allocations. It would therefore be legal to combine Counters from both areas.

@caliber - You can only claim objectives during the end-round Status Phase, or by playing the Primary Ability of the Bureaucracy Strategy.

Currently Playing:
    Thanks! Been a while since I played, so it helps to double check half-remembered rules ...

I also only half-remember the rules (memory banks being reconstructed and all that), but Objectives is one area I'm pretty clear on (I think).

Currently Playing:
    stever777 wrote: »
    Is it 1984?

Currently Playing:
    stever777 wrote: »
    Is it 1984?

1984 was also a vibe I was getting there, although I'm not sure if the talk of "Clears" was from 1984 itself. I do know Scientology has a concept of being "Clear" (presumably clear of possessive alien ghosts or something I guess?)

In regards to the objective, yes: you may only claim objectives during the end-of-round Status Phase or immediately when playing the Primary Ability of the Bureaucracy Strategy Card. As for fulfilling the conditions of the first objective, any combination of CC from your CP and SA areas is fine: all 3 of one type or 2 of one type and 1 of the other.

@MrBody and @BertezBertez are still up for their two system placements.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012
    caliber wrote: »
    I do know Scientology has a concept of being "Clear" (presumably clear of possessive alien ghosts or something I guess?)

Ding, ding, ding!
    You win!
    Tom Cruise would be proud.

E - I was trying to fit Lord Xenu in, the space god who sent the Thetans to Earth a bazillion years ago, but thought it would be over-the-top.
    Also, what am I talkin' about, fiction?
    It's The Truth!

stever777 on

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Nebula on 1-1
    Vefut II on 2-11

MrBody on
  • BertezBertezBertezBertez Registered User regular
    The Yin Brotherhood proclaims the Nebula in sector 1-1 the Darien-Is-A-Pretty-Cool-Guy All Hail Darien nebula and note the discovery of Hercalor (1R, 0I, Y) - Tiamat (1R, 2I, Y) in 2-11

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
    derp my mistake I hadn't refreshed the page.

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
    I'm gonna go with MrBody's placement since he was earlier. And I'm calling that Nebula system "All Hail Darien" for succinctness. (Can't say I find it terribly thematic, though...)

@jdarksun and @Void Slayer are up for placement.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited August 2012
    MrBlarney wrote: »
    I'm gonna go with MrBody's placement since he was earlier. And I'm calling that Nebula system "All Hail Darien" for succinctness. (Can't say I find it terribly thematic, though...)

:bz

It will be when I get through with it.

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    So who is next for tile placement?

...but I would say that

steam_sig.png
    This would go a lot quicker if everyone just put their most valuable planets near me.

Lets speed things along by doing that.

So who is next for tile placement?

@jdarksun and @Void Slayer are up next

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    MrBody wrote: »
    This would go a lot quicker if everyone just put their most valuable planets near me.

Lets speed things along by doing that.

Oh good plan let me p... HEY WAIT A MINUTE!

Place Quann (2R, 1I, G) / B-Wormhole at 2-9

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    edited August 2012
    <Incoming transmission from Creuss>

“Sai Seravus, we have identified the source of the energy fluctuations that have been distorting our deep space instrumentation. Deep space scanners have indicated that a wormhole has opened up in the region of space surrounding the planet Quann. This is deep into Muaat space. I suggest that we send an envoy immediately, so that they do not see this as an act of war. They might suspect that we are behind it.”

This was unexpected news for the Sai. He had been briefed about the possibility of spontaneous wormhole generation. He remembered a series of papers published in the Creuss scientific community that had been met with outright indignation from the rest of the Ghost Empire. Generating wormholes? That was the stuff out of kid’s stories. Imagine the power that the Creuss would hold in their hands if they could rip holes in the fabric of space on a whim! The Creuss would not be relegated to just using the already discovered wormholes that occupied this galaxy.

As all this processed very quickly through Sai Seravus’ mind, a thought occurred to him.

“Meian, was this our doing?”

“I’m sorry Sai, but that information is classified.” The scientist suddenly took on an unexpected air of superiority.

“What the hell do you mean, that information is classified? I have the highest clearance in the fleet. I demand that you answer my question immediately!” Sai Seravus was beginning to seep out excess smoke from his exhaust vents. He was beginning to lose his usual calm composure. How dare this scientist treat him with such disrespect!

“Sir, there are forces working here that are behind even you. I will brief you when I can. Oh and there is something else. There is another disturbance in the Lodor system. It would appear that another wormhole is opening up there as well.”

Meian couldn’t help but form the smoke inside his helmet in a demeanor of amusement. Of course the Sai couldn’t see that under Meian’s helmet and for that Meian was grateful. It wasn’t time to tell the Sai about the Slave Wormhole Technology. These two systems were only a test, but there were a few more kinks to work out before the general assembly could know about it. Meian had theorized that there may in fact be a way to continually move the wormholes through space. He was close, but not quite there yet. If he could just work it out, the tactical advantage gained for the Creuss would be great. Meian would be a hero, remembered through the history of the Ghosts. He knew that he could do it.

Place Lodor (3R, 1I, G) / A-Wormhole at 2-7

@Kilnaga and @Iron Weasel are up next

Orange Soda on
    edited August 2012
    The last update cycle had heralded yet more good news for the Overmind. More stray space travelers had been taken into interrogative custody and the Overmind had dispatched Councillor Ir0n W34531 to oversee the information extraction and assimilation personally. Information was the most precious of resources, and the Mindnet's gluttonous appetite for it could not be sated.

The Councillor's final report was uploaded quicker than the Overmind had calculated. The prisoners had broken quickly, quicker even than Member 184.948.2-δ. The inferior specimens would make weak additions to the collective. The Overmind sent orders back to 1r0n W3453l to have the newly assimilated assigned to janitorial. However weak these new ones might have been, they had provided the Mindnet with the confirmation they sought; the Naalu had indeed increased their fighter production. The Naalu war fleet would cause no real trouble for the Mindnet, the Collective possessed contingencies for just such an occasion.

Scenario N-1 Initiated.

The Overmind sent new orders to the fleet yard. Production on the Flagship 0.0.1 was to begin immediately.

When the order for increased Dreadnought production had been given, probes had been sent out in all directions from 0.0.0 in search of systems rich in resources.

Probe 1 Telemetry Received.

Another update cycle.

"Ju5t wh47 w45 n33d3d", thought the Overmind. A multi-planet system had been located in close proximity to 0.0.0 at sector 2-5.

The Overmind gave the order: "Di5p47ch c010ni247i0n f1337. 455imi1473 5y573m Vega Minor (1R, 2I, B) - Vega Major (2R, 1I)."

@stever777

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
    So is the Ghosts' special ability that they can go into a wormhole and come out of any one regardless of letter?

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Yes for the A and B, The home D wormhole still only connects to D

PSN SeGaTai
    SeGaTai wrote: »
    Yes for the A and B, The home D wormhole still only connects to D

Yup. What segatai said! Also, if you were playing with a game option that puts a c-wormhole on the board, c still only connects to c.

edited August 2012
    deeeerp

MrBody on
    Ooooooooo, so the Ghosts can't jump from their homeworld to any wormhole on the board?

2nd question not answered in the FAQ: Does the Yin flagship allow ground forces being carried in ships to participate in space battles, or do they have to be on a planet?

Ooooooooo, so the Ghosts can't jump from their homeworld to any wormhole on the board?
    That is correct. "D" only connects to "D", and so at the start of the game they can only exit out of the Creuss Gate system.
    2nd question not answered in the FAQ: Does the Yin flagship allow ground forces being carried in ships to participate in space battles, or do they have to be on a planet?
    Ground Forces may be pulled from both planets and from ships for the Van Hauge's special ability.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    I want to name the flagship myself :(

Well, if you want to give the flagship a name of your choosing, then go right ahead. But it'll have to be your second Flagship - that first one already has a name.

Once again, @stever777, it is your turn to place a system.

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Am I reading the Yin backstory right? A guy and his wife come down with psoriasis so he clones himself into an entire spacefaring species?

edited August 2012
    Weird. Are notifications working?
    I didn't see one.
    I wasn't around til now but anyway.

Nerodia perused his charts, looking for a particularly interesting system. If he could locate and name one, he may be given special lenience in his next Audit. Many top officials preferred those who could bring glory to The Collective. Perhaps a wormhole would show itself and be particularly beneficial. Those he could trace in the Second Ring were boring and pedestrian.

Just then, a sector of apparent emptiness caught his eye.

"What's this?", he thought.
    "Just what I may have been looking for?"

Indeed, it was just such a sector.
    Unfortunately, his excited thoughts had captured the attention of The Clear he had been assigned.
    Nerodia's defenses were caught unawares.

"What, indeed?", came the intrusive thought.

"Oh, I...um...was just performing the Galactic Scan I was assigned."

"And what have you found that you were in need of?", came an instant reply.

"I believe I have found a sector that may bring glory to The Collective."

"Interesting. This shall be noted and you will be scanned at you next Audit for the voracity of your claim. Is it named?"

"Not yet. I believe I may name it in our Race's honor."

"A wise decision."

The pressing presence left abruptly. Nerodia felt a draining on his psyche.
    Could he really go on like this?
    Could he really hold his mind together and keep out any Suppressive Thoughts at all times?
    Why was he like this?
    How were others able to just go about their daily lives without their minds being split apart?

Maybe, he had a way to find out.

Empty / A-Wormhole 2-2
    Name: Queen's Rift

E - @caliber and @GrimmyTOA

stever777 on

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    We place two at this point, correct?

Yes, sir.

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Professor Arbalest glared at the Telesponder in the corner of his office and the machine --trained by decades of usage feedback loops-- flickered to life. Zimzim's pale face lurched into focus above the dais.

The poor thing looks exhausted, was a thought that utterly failed to cross Arbalest's mind. Also; none of this is Zimzim's fault and he's doing his best likewise failed to be dredged up from the vast neural network that was the professor's brain. This is what he came up with instead:

"By God you're ugly!" It came out in a bark. Zimzim's holographic representation blinked confusedly, and Arbalest moderated his tone. "By which I mean, what's the progress on the Galactic Mapping project?"
    "Uh. Yes sir. It's coming along. I'd say that I'm about forty-five percent com-"
    If Arbalest had possessed the biological equipment necessary to explode he'd have done so. "Forty-five percent? The Regent's breathing down my neck at all hours of the day and you give me fractions?"
    "It's not strictly a fracti-"
    "If you finish that smart-ass sentence I'll have you off tenure track before you recover from the slapping I'll inflict on you, you-" A warning tone sounded in Arbalest's office and a light pulsed to life. Incoming Call. Priority One. Regent Grimyt's Office. Arbalest pierced Zimzim with another glare and cut the connection.

"Why hello, Regent Grimyt! Whatever can I do for you on this deliciously moist day?"
    Grimyt's face appeared in the Telesponder. "Hello?"
    "... Yes?"
    "Who's this?"
    "... It's. It's Professor Arbalest, sir. You called?"
    "Ah, Arbalest, finally. Would you believe that the first three times I called you, this infernal contraption put me through to the kitchens? Blasted machines. I don't know how I'm going to eat three whole Salurian Spice Cakes, but there you go."
    "I agree, my Regent. These Telesponders are surely a pox upon the thinking classes. Why, I recall that Xymyrpsutn of Phroecia once said th-"
    "So have you finished it?"
    Arbalest pivoted smoothly. "Of course, sir. There are merely a few finishing touches, a minor flourish here, an embellishment there, that are required to bring it up to the high standa-"
    The avuncular gleam suddenly seemed to disappear from the Regent's eyes.
    "Embellishments? To my book? To bring it up to your high standards?"
    The book. Arbalest cast a panicked eye to the center of his desk, where the Regent's recently completed 8 000 000 word opus on the usage of plant fibers in University scholastics was sitting, still wrapped in protective film.
    "Ah," he tried, and "Err."
    The Regent winked and grinned. "Poor Arbalest. Still no discernible sense of humour, eh? I was asking about the star map. About half done, I'd imagine. Well, keep me posted. I'm off. The aquacroquet finals are this afternoon, you know. Toodle-oo."
    The holographic image shattered into a million pieces, and Arbalest was left in his darkened office. He hated everyone.

Rigel to 2-1
    Q'ucenn/Rarron to 2-12

You're up, @stever777

GrimmyTOA on
    edited August 2012
    Nerodia was so tired from his work and the intrusion on his mind, he couldn't think of much else but what sectors may lay before him.
    How would the Galaxy mapping be such a problem when he was only hoping to bring honor to The Collective?
    What were the thoughts that constantly attacked his consciousness and were not in line with the accepted logic?
    How could he be so out of line?

Pushing himself into the star charts that lay before him, he hoped to bury those thoughts that were obviously holding him back from being the Cleared Citizen he knew he could be.

His head was spinning when he followed the charts to show a field of asteroids planets that were not far off.

"Are you in our alignment?", came a question to his brain.

"I believe so.", he answered.

"I hope you are, Citizen."

Asteroid Field 2-4
    Named: Field of Ghosts

E - D'OH!

E - Double D'OH!

Ashtroth (2R, 0I) - Abaddon (1R, 0I, R) - Loki (1R, 2I) 2-4

stever777 on

edited August 2012
    But you placed your last thing in 2-2? >_>

EDIT: Also, weren't you supposed to make a play with a system that had a planet? Your previous play was empty system+wormhole, so doesn't that count as an empty system for the rules of play?

Well hmmm... If Iron Weasel doesn't show up within the first couple of hours I'll make our play without him.

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna