As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] Discussions of Wil Wheaton's cardboard nerd-cred consolidated here.

• alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
    Roland no for some reason my 3 year old put it there, he and his sister play heroscape when I am painting and he stuck it there and told me he didn't need it today...

• R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Hah that's awesome I kept all my stuff for when I have kids.

steam_sig.png
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Did you order any extras, R0land?
    I picked up a couple of the extra figures (I'm too big a Tarantino fan not to) and the spare tile set (just because why not?)

• BinaryBinary Registered User regular
    I'm also really interested in X-Wing, but there's other stuff that comes in line before it right now, and I think I'd hardly ever get to play it (2 player, seems fairly complex)

edit:: Also, I'm sort of worried about how much you can do with just the base game, the rebels starting with just one single ship seems kinda dull. But I don't really know the system at all, so maybe it'll be enough.

The fact that you only get one Rebel ship in the starting box downgraded this from a "10:00am GenCon Thursday buy" to a "I'll get it from CSI in a couple of months."

binary101010.jpg
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Trynant wrote: »
    So Castles of Burgundy is a very solid Euro game. And it is very Euro, despite somehow incorporating dice into the works. Short play-time, good ratio of depth to rules, and some of the best mechanics dealing with die rolls I've seen. The rolls you get matter without there being a point where a roll is truly 'bad' (it only goes down to mediocre). The closest comparison I can make is to Alien Frontiers, but even then Castles of Burgundy does things very differently. Good stuff.

My favorite way to describe Castles versus other dice games is "Instead of the dice telling you what you can do, you tell that dice what to do."

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Galaxy Truckerrrrrrr! After waiting four months for it, and being told it'd be at least another month, I just cancelled the order and got it off Amazon. Two days later, trucking was had. Good times.

And yeah, Burgundy is great. At least when you're playing with halfway intelligent people, 'cause it's very front-loaded; you need to know what every tile does right at the start. When you have a guy who's still figuring out turn order in the last phase... it's less great.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Cheerfully chipping in to agree with all the above, Galaxy Trucker is great.

Burgundy also great, but yeah, don't play it with people who will resent having to focus a bit.

• Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    Whoa!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/berialpha/lyris-laser-studios-custom-cut-board-game-accessor?ref=category

Is there any reason that the company's that own some of these games would put a stop to something like this? Is there a risk of me buying stuff? I really like some of the Twilight Imperium accessories

• Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    New Dominion: Dark Ages preview:

darkagespreview4.png

(Apparently the Rats stack has 20 copies in it.)

Rats are hilarious.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    If by hilarious you mean AWESOME

I'm thinking up a set with Rats, Pillage, Cultist, Graverobber, Hermit, possibly Squire and/or Feodum (latter more likely)

Trashin' erryday

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    I cannot wait for FFG X-Wing. It looks so, so fantastic. Is CoolStuffInc a good place to order from? They've got pre-orders available for $26 and they list the MSRP as $40 so that's a pretty good price according to them. Is there a better place to order from?

Your LGS, if you want to support them. CSI takes the Wal-Mart approach of selling just barely over cost and banks on making the difference in volume of sales. Most LGS hate them for it, much like most retail/grocery places hate Wal-Mart.

I have no local game store, which has prompted me to think about opening my own on occasion. So I have no local loyalties to worry about. Unfortunately for CSI, shipping brought the game back up to MSRP, so I may as well just pick it up at Target (which reportedly has space on the shelf for it already in some stores, despite not being stocked yet) when it releases.

I downloaded the rule book, so hopefully I can fully acquainted to the rules before I even own it.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • R0land1188R0land1188 Registered User regular
    Did you order any extras, R0land?
    I picked up a couple of the extra figures (I'm too big a Tarantino fan not to) and the spare tile set (just because why not?)

I got a little obsessed with Heroscape, I have 2-9 copies of most everything in big bins in my garage. It is kind of embarrassing now since I haven't played any boardgames in a couple years.

steam_sig.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Crap. I hate you guys. Now I really want X-Wing.

2x Base Sets of X-Wing
    2x Y-Wing Expansion
    1x X-wing Expansion
    1x Tie Fighter Expansion
    1x Tie Advanced Expansion

This is what is currently in my Coolstuff kart, mocking me.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    CSI got more TIE Advanced in their inventory?!?!

I couldn't justify buying that much of a game that I had never played. Yeah, sometimes I'll pick up the base game and an expansion at the same time (and even that can backfire ... *cough*battlestargalactica*cough*), but like ...
    Picking up that much stuff is the same, to me, as getting into Warhammer: Invasion by buying the base set, the first expansion, and half the 'regularly released' (I forget if it's monthly, bi-monthly, quarterly, or whatever) expansions for it. Shouldn't you start with the base game and figure out how much you like the gameplay before you quadruple the amount you're spending on it? Surely you can't be doing that just for the free shipping ...

edited August 2012
    I'm for sure gonna grab the base set first and play it. But if I have any fun at all with the base set, I think the expansions will be a must. More variety in ships, pilots, upgrades, etc will only help to make the game more fun on a strategic level.

If the base set is fun, then I plan on getting the following by the end of it:
    Base Set x2
    X-wing x1
    TIE Fighter x1
    TIE Advanced x2
    Y-Wing x2
    Which adds up to 3 X-wings (squad size), 5 TIE Fighters (squad size), 2 TIE Advanced, and 2 Y-Wings.

And so help my wallet if this game ends up being fun and they come out with TIE Interceptors. I will need an entire squadron of those guys.

ObiFett on
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    Alright I am now interested in X-Wing too. Well done. Spending my money ...

Are there any decent impressions/reviews up? There's playthroughs on BGG but I'd like more of a personal thoughts type review than a mechanics walkthrough.

Also, yeah, any Wings of War players want to comment?

I don't feel comfy preordering with the limited data I currently have on this product.

edited August 2012
    I have read both rulesets (Wings of War and X-Wing) and there are enough differences in the base rules as well as the extras (powers, missiles, upgrades, pilots, etc) that I think there is more than enough meat in X-wing to make the game deep and very replayable.

Also, I am clearly biased on anything Star Wars. ;)

ObiFett on
    I'm definitely buying the base set. If it's fun and good then I'll be buying rebel ships while my friend buys the imperial ships to keep costs down for both of us. I'm questioning how many ships/pilots/etc make up the 100 point squads they talk about in the rules though. They say the base game you should have 31 point squads since there's only 2 TIE and 1 X-Wing, but for 100 points am I looking at ~5 ships each? I figure I need to get at least one of each expansion if for only the pilots.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    edited August 2012
    Tayrun wrote: »

Are there any decent impressions/reviews up? There's playthroughs on BGG but I'd like more of a personal thoughts type review than a mechanics walkthrough.

I don't feel comfy preordering with the limited data I currently have on this product.

Wings of War was and remains my single biggest regret of a board game purchase to date. My brother and I played 1 game, which went on for just shy of an hour, saw us shoot at each other twice, and then he lost both planes accidentally flying off the map. Absolutely horrible experience. Also has almost nothing to do with how aircraft work, other than the interesting card mechanics that resulted in different flight lengths and turning radius.

X-Wing will be better if, as someone suggested, some craft can fire in directions other than their forward arc. That alone would probably make it playable, at least.

ArcticLancer on
    Tayrun wrote: »

Wings of War was and remains my single biggest regret of a board game purchase to date. My brother and I played 1 game, which went on for just shy of an hour, saw us shoot at each other twice, and then he lost both planes accidentally flying off the map. Absolutely horrible experience. Also has almost nothing to do with how aircraft work, other than the interesting card mechanics that resulted in different flight lengths and turning radius.

X-Wing will be better if, as someone suggested, some craft can fire in directions other than their forward arc. That alone would probably make it playable, at least.

You also only plan out one move at a time, rather than three like WoW. There are powers to use that add depth. Actions that increase defense or attack that are highly situational. Plus the upgrades and pilots and thing make even the same type of ship play very differently.

For those reasons, I hope this game does not give me the same experience you just described.

edited August 2012
    I'm definitely buying the base set. If it's fun and good then I'll be buying rebel ships while my friend buys the imperial ships to keep costs down for both of us. I'm questioning how many ships/pilots/etc make up the 100 point squads they talk about in the rules though. They say the base game you should have 31 point squads since there's only 2 TIE and 1 X-Wing, but for 100 points am I looking at ~5 ships each? I figure I need to get at least one of each expansion if for only the pilots.

BGG has people already making lists. lol.

Sample 100 point Rebel list (3 ships):
    Y-Wing
    Horton Salm - 25
    Ion Cannon Turret - 5
    2x Proton Torpedoes - 8
    R5-K6 - 2
    40 Points

X-Wing
    Luke Skywalker - 28
    R2-D2 - 4
    Marksmanship - 3
    35 Points

X-Wing
    Biggs Darklighter - 25

Sample 100 point Empire List (5 ships):
    TIE Advanced
    Darth Vader - 29
    Squad Leader - 2
    Concussion Missiles - 4
    35 Points

TIE Fighter
    Howl Runner - 18
    Swarm tactics - 2
    20 Points

TIE Fighter
    Mauler Mithel - 17
    17 Points

TIE Fighter
    Black Squadron Pilot - 15
    15 Points

TIE Fighter
    Obsidian Squadron Pilot - 13
    13 Points

In the same thread people were talking about taking 8 TIEs (4 academy pilots and 4 Obsidian squad pilots) which add up to 100 points as well. So its sounds pretty flexible at that point level.

ObiFett on
    For me, its partly my love of Star Wars, the old Rogue Squadron games, and my desire for a dogfighting game (and the fact that Wings of War, just to start playing, is around $100 anyway. And that's for only the rules/tokens and 4 planes) that has me interested in picking up what I had listed.

I bought Battleship Galaxies, and me and my friend had a ton of fun with it, and that's pretty basic in terms of space combat. So I'm pretty sure we'd have a blast with this.

Also, I'm not sure how much fun 2 Tie Fighters vs 1 X-wing can really be. I mean, looking at the missions, all of them sound more fun with even just a couple extra ships on each side.

That, and I've made more than a few poor gaming decisions in my past, soooo, I'm sort of used to it, lol.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Made it about five minutes into the new Tabletop before shutting it down. Watching four nerds herp derping in a game of Say Anything is about as wearying an experience as it's possible to have.

• PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    darkagespreview5.png

More Dark Ages previews, apparently these replace the three starting Estates in your starting deck, and follow "the rules for Platnium for Prosperity games."

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • The MantizThe Mantiz BONK! DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Yeah, my feelings about TableTop, has changed dramatically during the last 3-4 episodes. I started out loving it, since they were so good at communicating the awesome aspects of lighter designer boardgames and board gaming in general. But now it is slowly turning into a show of Mr. Wheaton acting "goofy" and coming up with "crazy" narratives for games with otherwise weak mechanics.

I really really hope it is because of their choice of games like Gloom, Fiasco and Say Anything that is the main reason for this, and that Elder Sign will make up for it next week. But who knows?

3DS - 2878-9572-9277
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    I think party games like that are funny only for the players.

I did like the D&D podcasts PA did, but the humor was very different to these.

I figure I could take a bear.
    The Mantiz wrote: »
    Yeah, my feelings about TableTop, has changed dramatically during the last 3-4 episodes. I started out loving it, since they were so good at communicating the awesome aspects of lighter designer boardgames and board gaming in general. But now it is slowly turning into a show of Mr. Wheaton acting "goofy" and coming up with "crazy" narratives for games with otherwise weak mechanics.

I really really hope it is because of their choice of games like Gloom, Fiasco and Say Anything that is the main reason for this, and that Elder Sign will make up for it next week. But who knows?

You expressed my opinions exactly. Narrative games, to me, don't make for good watching. I hope they go back to games similar to the first bunch soon. Perhaps it is due to Gloom, two episodes of Fiasco, and now Say Anything all clumped together.

I went to Target today and they have a big green cardboard box on the shelf highlighting "Geek & Sundry's Tabletop Show" with Settlers inside for now. Thought that was pretty cool inside Target of all places.

Target seems to be really expanding the board game section. They have a few different Fantasy Flight games as well as some other ones like Settlers and the Settlers card game, and Ticket to Ride. They even have a price tag and empty space for X-Wing. I had an employee check stock but none actually in the store. Apparently it was supposed to be there two weeks ago, but got pushed back. No word on expansions, couldn't look it up easily for me. Do we have any solid date for X-Wing or have they not given one since missing the initial release window?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    @ArcSyn Well, Gen Con is next week, and they've said it'll be available there, plus they'll be running a tournament. So I'd guess right after the show is when we'll be seeing it hit shelves.

• Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    Nullzone wrote: »
    I cannot wait for FFG X-Wing. It looks so, so fantastic. Is CoolStuffInc a good place to order from? They've got pre-orders available for $26 and they list the MSRP as $40 so that's a pretty good price according to them. Is there a better place to order from?

Your LGS, if you want to support them. CSI takes the Wal-Mart approach of selling just barely over cost and banks on making the difference in volume of sales. Most LGS hate them for it, much like most retail/grocery places hate Wal-Mart.

I have no local game store, which has prompted me to think about opening my own on occasion. So I have no local loyalties to worry about. Unfortunately for CSI, shipping brought the game back up to MSRP, so I may as well just pick it up at Target (which reportedly has space on the shelf for it already in some stores, despite not being stocked yet) when it releases.

I downloaded the rule book, so hopefully I can fully acquainted to the rules before I even own it.

But CSI is my LGS :)

Hmm, I can save $6 ordering from miniature market, but I'm tempted to get it from Target anyway just to encourage them to carry the expansions and more "unusual" games.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Question about Galaxy Trucker: How many players is it optimal for, and what number of players should be avoided at all costs?

• blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    BGG says best with 4 and I agree. I think it's great with 3, and just ok with 2. I'd only avoid playing it with 2, if only because there are much better 2-player options out there.

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    BGG says best with 4 and I agree. I think it's great with 3, and just ok with 2. I'd only avoid playing it with 2, if only because there are much better 2-player options out there.

This is true.

To be honest, I always prefer games designed only for 2 people when I'm playing 2p. Battle Line, Summoner Wars, Star Trek Fleet Captains etc.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I've been eying Galaxy Trucker, but I don't think I'll pick it up this moment, I was considering taking a game or two along on vacation later this month. My girlfriend has been doing a fair amount of solo Agricola lately, so maybe I'll take that instead. I prefer more players for it, but it'd be interesting to see how badly she can smoke me after running solo games a while.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Eh, it's a different skillset. Solo Agricola ends up almost like an equation you run through the same way each time, though it does help teach you what the optimum board looks like. You know, so you can be twice as frustrated when someone takes that wood you need.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
  • NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    On TableTop, I liked that they did Fiasco cause it's not what you'd expect from what is marketed as a roleplaying game. Though I agree it's less fun to watch a game of Fiasco than it is to play it.

Gloom they just played flat out wrong, the story telling aspect is really not the point of the game. It's a card game with a decent amount of strategy to it, as every card that is good for you is quite frequently good for your opponents too. Sometimes you may find yourself inflicting positive points on your own cards just to get the secondary effect of playing it.

Say Anything was an obnoxious episode because a) they house ruled it, b) it's a party game so most jokes are only funny in the context of the people playing, and c) it's a fairly arbitrary play experience, which is what most people "hate" in party games; you're pandering to the judge and that often takes weird turns. They should have played Wits & Wagers if they wanted to go party game route, imo. The house rules just basically cut the legs out from under it, and if the argument was in the interest of time then there should have been a "fast forward" segment, not the arbitrary assignment of points. Or only play to 6, or something.

(As an aside, I love the fact that Wil had to specifically call out the house rules because of the mounds of nastygrams he's probably already gotten over the previous games that have been played wrong lol)

Nullzone on
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    What was the house rule for say anything? It's not like it's got a ton of rules, I like it a lot as it is.

sig.gif