As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Beej Diet [Weight Loss and Fitness]

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Like. 6 miles a day will be super easy to work up to in a month if they are willing to take you on short trips.

Like maybe three miles on a Saturday. Then a mile on Sunday. (you will be sore as fuck but a short session on a Sunday will help you a shitload.

Following week then do four miles and two miles.

Then do five and four.

Then do six and five.

• Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    And that's a super cruisey plan. You could probably skip right over week two.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    yeah i think i might try practicing on saturday/sunday, even though it is the hudson river and is pretty gross, they have free kayaking..

unfortuntely only a few of my friends are in the city at the moment, and the one who is primarily organizing the trip and has the most experience is currently in a different state.. and i'll probably ought to buy a plane ticket by sunday at the latest, or sometime soon

don't think they go regularly anyway, but i think i can find ways to get actual practice in somehow

poo
    in diet news, today i ate healthy

yesterday i did not

poo
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    i'll practice with you!!!!!!!! we can be kayak bros that don't know what they're doing!

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    if you really wanna dude, i'd be down, just let me know when.

poo
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    I sadly couldn't make it this weekend because of dumb work kicking my ass, but other weekends before you go i'd be down if you didn't have anybody else

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    Yesterday I did six sets of 20 jump squats for power/height on the jump for the hell of it while running students through muay thai conditioning rounds. Today my left quad is a disaster, I foam rolled it and it's a wreck across the board but especially on the inside right where it meets the knee. Completely trashed, like, damn near yelling while foam rolling it and I foam roll normally. It sucks. But jump squats kick so much ass.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Man sometimes I just get real down about how much I exercise and eat well and how little difference it makes in my weight.

Today is one of those times.

Bah.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    dont be sad dude

it'll happen, and i mean, maybe the scale aint changing but things are getting better

or we can just mope and be fat together and you can punch me in my fat stomach

poo
    wow, there are a ton of both free and paid kayaking options in nyc / a bit upstate on the hudson

this is pretty cool

i might go to the brooklyn bridge park tomorrow and paddle around a bit

they have some beginner day trips up like 2 hrs north of the city for 60 bucks that are like ~4 miles, and these include instructions

there is a free class on wednesday about rescue and recovery
    (i missed, the last 2 weeks they had forward stroke and turns classes)

exciting

poo
  • That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    What's something good to eat for breakfast that's high in fibre?

PSN: ThatDaveFella
    I mean, back in the day when I ate cereal, kashi go lean crunch would do some fierce things to my BMs

poo
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Up to 178# now

I don't even really get how my weight goes up like it does, I exercise every other day doing strength training and I feel like I barely eat as it is

meeehh maybe I'm eating too much, I don't know anymore with this food shit

edited August 2012
    food is the hardest part

i dont understand it

food, that is, not why it's hard

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I always see people doing about 4mi every morning in kayaks. Its incredibly still water, though, not open ocean. There's also a few places up on the San Juan Islands here that do kayak tours.

So I've always thought that it can't be that bad if they just throw people out there for a day.

I'd still think 6mi of it would be pretty difficult, though. However, I'm firmly in "Shazkar should rock this shit as hard as possible" camp.

• MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular

oatmeal I guess?

ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Joe ChemoJoe Chemo Registered User regular

My breakfast is usually a can of tuna mixed with a cup of various raw veggies, and a couple hardboiled eggs.

Oatmeal and shredded wheat also both are high fiber, I believe

LTM wrote: »
    I always see people doing about 4mi every morning in kayaks. Its incredibly still water, though, not open ocean. There's also a few places up on the San Juan Islands here that do kayak tours.

So I've always thought that it can't be that bad if they just throw people out there for a day.

I'd still think 6mi of it would be pretty difficult, though. However, I'm firmly in "Shazkar should rock this shit as hard as possible" camp.
    i think it would be difficult as well

however

i've been looking around and i am willing to spend money on kayaking classes each weekend, and also just training the fuck out in the gym for the next month

it's only a month, and i wish i had 2 months, but i think i can get pretty well prepared in a month, especially if i force myself to go kayaking every weekend and train like crazy

poo
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Up to 178# now

I don't even really get how my weight goes up like it does, I exercise every other day doing strength training and I feel like I barely eat as it is

you're doing strength training... realistically, your weight is going to go up at a certain point. Avoid focusing on the scale and do some body fat measurements and ratios instead.

Yeah Oghulk, more cardio, less weights if you are concerned about losing raw weight. If its body shape you are more concerned with, then yeah, just ignore the scale and keep sculping.

• TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    In addition to cardio, do weightlifting cardio (which is essentially the plan behind circuit training and p90x)

Lots of reps of low weight, very short breaks between different lifts. Like

10 curls
    15 bench
    15 lat fly
    10 clean and press
    10 dips
    25 sit ups
    20 russian twists
    jumping jacks / jump rope

all in rapid succession.

Nothing but burpees and dips erry day.

• Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Up to 178# now

Man me either

I work out like a mofo these days

Still fattin' around

Ablooo

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
    I'm drinking beer.

ive eaten nothing since dinner last night o lord, it's time to get some brotein

poo
    I did drink beer today so I'd blame that.

But I didn't eat dinner so I could afford the beer calories.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    I just ate a cheesesteak sub and a cookies and cream milkshake

also my doctor told me not to take creatine which made me harumph

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    How does one do body fat measurements?

• TallaclasseeTallaclassee you ever seen a lion limber up before it takes down a gazelleRegistered User regular
    drank lots of beer last night, to be fair it was corona

so like i had some vitamin c from the lime

Hulk pinch yo' belly and see how expressive of a pretend mouth you can make with your fat.

I'm pretty sure that's how you do it.

RUVCwyu.jpg

There's a weird caliper that you squeeze your fat into and it tells you.

Also, you could shell out for a hydrostatic test, which I've never done.

• YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular

The simplest way to do it yourself is to buy a caliper and take a simple three-point measurement. There are plenty of tutorials for doing this on le intrenet. The thing to keep in mind with this is that your actual measurement is likely to be off by several percentage points due to inexperience and the general inaccuracy of the test. This isn't important though, as if you keep doing it the same way then your measurements will be off in the same way every time and you can accurately tell how much BF% you are losing. It's a much better way to track progress than a scale.

An easier method which I like is to take pictures of yourself every other day or so. If you're gaining weight but losing BF% you will need before and after pics to remind you of that.

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
    i think i just ate a pound of grilled chicken

poo
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    Up to 178# now

I'm at about the same place as you. Calories are cut, I work out a lot, and my results have slowed down to a crawl. Sometimes I'll even gain a pound out of nowhere and it is ridiculously frustrating. The more weight you lose, the more calories you have to cut and work out to see the same results as you might have when you were starting out. I've only lost like 1 pound in the last week and a half, which is about half as much as usual.

I disagree with not lifting (or lifting less in favor of more cardio). You burn calories lifting just like cardio. And, it's not like you're putting on muscle because the calorie deficit pretty much restricts muscle building. I think lifting actually burns calories when you stop doing it, because your muscles take energy to repair after you've lifted. The calories burned are just left quantifiable, but then again, all the calories burned doing cardio are just approximations.

-I didn't work out yesterday. I felt super guilty, and ended up only eating 900 calories for the day. Super healthy :(

• EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    SkankPlaya wrote: »
    I've only lost like 1 pound in the last week and a half, which is about half as much as usual.

There's nothing wrong with that! It doesn't always have to be rapid weight loss. It's probably healthier that it's not, really...

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Rounding out week 3 of Insanity with 6 pounds lost. Feels good!

godmode wrote: »
    Rounding out week 3 of Insanity with 6 pounds lost. Feels good!

my friend sent me the videos
    i just did the fit test, minus the high up jumping bits cuz my knees are fucked
    i can see why it works

poo
    Biked another 21 miles this morning.

Yaay!

And going up my mountain at the end didn't make me want to die quite as much.

How is it then that I still feel gross and fat! Harrible.

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    Dude, if you buy me a plane ticket I will come to Korea, slap you upside the head, and tell you you're not fat.

My calf is hurting in the same spot it was in February. Gotta schedule my annual check-up, anyway; I'll ask for a referral to a sports med doctor or something, I guess. Stupid leg.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.