As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raiders and Relics - Version 0.4.0 ready for the test phase! Play online with LackeyCCG!

21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short![They/Them]Registered User regular
edited May 2013 in Critical Failures
Hello everyone, I'm here to present and test my very own card game, Raiders and Relics
b]This thread is approved by Echo.[/b

What is Raiders and Relics?

Raiders and Relics is a strategic card game in which players race to explore ruins and excavate the very valuable relics found inside. To do so, the very powerful Raiders build up their dig camp and protect it from monsters and rival Raiders with traps and mercs, while bolstering them with equipment and treasures. The ultimate goal is to accumulate the most wealth from your expedition, but to do so, you will no doubt need to dirty your hands and sabotage your opponent's efforts.

As of now, the Relics and Raiders is on version 0.4.0.

So, how do you play Raiders and Relics?

The Gameplay is quite simple: You build yourself a deck, draw cards, play resources that will, in time, allow you to play other cards such as Mercs, Traps, Treasures, Equipment and Orders to affect other cards in play. The goal of these cards is to support and protect your Raider who is key to excavating the ruins, which leads to treasures and, periodically, to very valuable Relics, which are key to winning the game. If you're familiar with Magic: The Gathering, you should pick up on Raiders and Relics quickly.

So, how is Raiders and Relics different from Magic?

Raiders and Relics diverges from Magic: The Gathering in several ways.
  • instead of having life points, you have a Raider, which can attack and use abilities and is key to excavating and exploring ruins.
  • The Goal is not to kill the opponent, it is to obtain the most wealth by exploring ruins.
  • Players pick a Raider at the beginning of the game, adding a layer of strategy to the deckbuilding, as Raiders have unique and powerful abilities but may not be copied.
  • Raiders grow during the game as you destroy creatures and gain XP, allowing you to bestow new abilities upon them. Additionally, there is a strong emphasis on equipment, meaning even your lowliest merc can become a powerful engine of destruction.
  • Players have 3 Decks of their own, the Main Deck, the Resource Deck and the Ability Deck. Additionally, there is a shared Excavations deck that you dig through to get to the Relics.
  • As mentioned earlier, resources are in their own, separate deck, meaning you're never resource-starved due to poor luck.
  • Resources include the ability to draw more cards, meaning you always have more options.
  • Resources also include troop resources, which generate a steady stream of token creatures.
  • The emphasis is less on playing creatures and more on building up traps and treasures to support the creatures you generate.

Sounds fun, How do I play?

I made a plugin for a program called LackeyCCG that allows people to play Raiders and Relics online. To get the program and the plugin, simply visit this page for information on how to install the plugin and get the game working.

To begin a game, you need to have one player load the Vitals Deck into the Vitals Deck shared zone and the Excavations Deck into the Excavations Deck shared zone. This is important. That's how you can have the Raider and Relic cards available to all players. Another important point is that you should open up the left section of the screen, by dragging it open. That's how you can have access to the Token tab which lets you drag tokens into the field. it's also a good idea to stretch the window as the game's virtual table can get quite crowded.

You can drag cards from various areas and can use a variety of functions to emulate playing the game, it's all manual, nothing's automatic, just like real life. Be sure not to cheat, as that is totally lame.

The program also allows you to build your own decks quite easily. Just make sure to put the right cards in the right decks: Traps, Treasures, Equipment, Mercs and Orders go in your Main Deck, Resource Buildings go in your Resource Deck and Abilities go in your Ability Deck. Relics, Raiders, Ruins Rooms and any Excavated card don't go in your decks, they're in the Shared decks, you don't need to worry about those. It's not that complicated to get it working, you just load the full deck to yourself when in a game.

That should just about cover it, if you have problems with LackeyCCG, post here, I'll do my best to help you out. :)

Whoah, hold on! Where are the rules? And the cards?

You can find the rules, the cards and some decks on This handy site i made for the game.

How can we help you with this game?

You can help me by participating in games, by commenting on the cards or rules or concepts in general, by building better decks to really test the limits of the game and, if you're artistically inclined, by allowing me to use your work as card art. Don't be afraid to criticize the game. There's no way it'll get better without criticism and I am aware that it may very well be completely broken already, but i believe in it, and i want it to be better. Just, keep in mind, constructive criticism is better than simply saying "Your game sucks" or "This card sucks". :) Also, I'm open to card suggestions, mechanics suggestions, et cetera. This game is not nearly close to version 1 yet, so everything can change. Think of this as a pre-alpha release.

I have other questions!
Then ask away in the thread, i'm not afraid of questions.

Handy Links

21stCentury on

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Player Pool

Here are people who play the current version of the game:

@21stCentury
    @Winky

Also, we have a Steam group: Raiders &Relics, it can be useful to find people who want to play the game with you. So if you're interested in the game, shoot me a message via Steam and i'll add you to the group!

21stCentury on
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Reserved for other, more stuff-like stuff

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Skimming the rules it says you need:

"A Main deck containing at least 30 cards, a Resource deck containing at least 15 cards and an Ability Deck containing at least 3 cards."

But for the rest of the rules it pretty much just refers to either the main deck or the resource deck. The ability deck is never mentioned, nor is how to draw or play cards from it.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    !Sign In

I'll give it a shot.

JKKaAGp.png
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Skimming the rules it says you need:

"A Main deck containing at least 30 cards, a Resource deck containing at least 15 cards and an Ability Deck containing at least 3 cards."

But for the rest of the rules it pretty much just refers to either the main deck or the resource deck. The ability deck is never mentioned, nor is how to draw or play cards from it.

Oh, well, it's mentioned that whenever you draw, it may be from any deck, but i'll look into it again. Thanks for pointing it out.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    #: 022
    Name: Spark of Life
    Type: Generator Relic
    Text: Stockpile (If it is not Z during the Conclusion Phase, place a counter on it). Spark of Life may not have more than 5 counters.
    3 Tokens, Z: Create a 1/4 Clay Golem token.
    XP: 1
    #: 023
    Name: Phoenix Nest
    Text: Stockpile (If it is not Z during the Conclusion Phase, place a counter on it. Phoenix Nest may not have more than 5 counters.
    3 Tokens, Z: Create a 2/3 Phoenix Chick token. As long as your Raider is knocked out, Phoenix Chick Tokens have +2/+2.

pretty sure that should say "counters."

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Feral wrote: »
    #: 022
    Name: Spark of Life
    Text: Stockpile (If it is not Z during the Conclusion Phase, place a counter on it). Spark of Life may not have more than 5 counters.
    3 Tokens, Z: Create a 1/4 Clay Golem token.
    #: 023
    Name: Phoenix Nest
    Text: Stockpile (If it is not Z during the Conclusion Phase, place a counter on it. Phoenix Nest may not have more than 5 counters.
    3 Tokens, Z: Create a 2/3 Phoenix Chick token. As long as your Raider is knocked out, Phoenix Chick Tokens have +2/+2.

pretty sure that should say "counters."

Good eye there, yes, it should, i'll put that on my to-do list.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Deck Limitations
    You may not have more than 5 copies of any non-resource card in your deck. You may not have more than one copy of any card with “Legendary” in its type.

Why do all the resources say "basic?"

What is the meaning of "basic?"

None of the cards say "Legendary."

Also:
    Materials
    To play Relics and Raiders, you will need:

A Main deck containing at least 30 cards, a Resource deck containing at least 15 cards and an Ability Deck containing at least 3 cards.
    Raiders and Relic cards, enough that all players can play without using duplicates.

If I can have 5 of any card, why does it matter whether we use duplicates?

Oh, wait, here it is, in a completely different section:
    Relics and Raiders are both unique, so you cannot have the duplicates.

You should start by putting all deckbuilding restrictions in the same place in the rules, preferably at the beginning.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited August 2012
    Deck Limitations
    You may not have more than 5 copies of any non-resource card in your deck. You may not have more than one copy of any card with “Legendary” in its type.

Why do all the resources say "basic?"

What is the meaning of "basic?"

None of the cards say "Legendary."

Also:
    Materials
    To play Relics and Raiders, you will need:

A Main deck containing at least 30 cards, a Resource deck containing at least 15 cards and an Ability Deck containing at least 3 cards.
    Raiders and Relic cards, enough that all players can play without using duplicates.

If I can have 5 of any card, why does it matter whether we use duplicates?

Oh, that's phrased badly. I guess the "Basic" in resources is redundant. The Legendary rule has been removed, i had forgotten to remove it when i removed legendary types.

As for the Raider and relic cards, i mean cards with Raider in their type and Relic in their type.

21stCentury on
    In other words, you can have more gold or food than you have resource cards for them, but may not have more Nature or Knowledge than you have resource cards for them.

Unless you have this guy.
    #: 005
    Name: Thorvull of the Steppes
    Cost: 1 Turn
    Type: Raiders - Human Barbarian
    Text: Great Hunter: Whenever Thorvull destroys a creature, gain 1 of any resource.
    Call of the Wild: Z, Thorvull does not ready next commerce Phase. Play a 4/2 Thorvull’s Beast Token.
    Offense: 6
    Life: 16
    XP: 5

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I was never into M:TG, but I did play multiple other TCGs and have played a few MOBAs. I've also never play tested any tabletop games, but I've been in video game Alphas/Betas beyond counting, so I'm a practiced hand when it comes to game feedback. The concept seems nifty, so I'm willing to give it a shot and !Sign Up. I'll be able to look over the rules/cards site you setup more closely once I'm off work.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    Yes, but the general rule is there for, y'know, when you have every other raider.

I see no restriction on how many basic resource cards you can play per turn.

Consequently, that makes cards like this kind of scary:
    #: 035
    Name: Village
    Type: Basic Manpower Resource
    Text: Draw 1 extra card at Harvest

edited August 2012
    I see no restriction on how many basic resource cards you can play per turn.

Consequently, that makes cards like this kind of scary:
    #: 035
    Name: Village
    Type: Basic Manpower Resource
    Text: Draw 1 extra card at Harvest

Wait,there is a limitation. You can only play 1 resource card only per turn, unless you have a card that says otherwise.

Wow, tickle my winkle, i forgot to mention the resource limitation in the rules. Good catch there, Feral. No idea how that happened.

21stCentury on
    Now I see Blooming Shrine.
    #: 072
    Name: Blooming Shrine
    Cost: 2 Nature
    Type: Treasure - Shrine
    Text: You may play an additional resource each turn.

I assume from this that there's a restriction to one resource per turn.

Feral, I love how you're going through my thing with a fine comb like that. You're good people. I internalized a lot of things about the game.

If a raider is tired or knocked out, does his passive ability still function?

In other words, if Berthram is knocked out, or has been tired by an ability that does not let him ready on the next commerce phase, do I still get a discount on traps?

edited August 2012
    If a raider is tired or knocked out, does his passive ability still function?

In other words, if Berthram is knocked out, or has been tired by an ability that does not let him ready on the next commerce phase, do I still get a discount on traps?

No, he's knocked out. i should make that clear. Good catch, again!

But the passive is still around when tired, just, not when knocked out.

21stCentury on
    What is your recommended number of relics?

I assume I pay the cost of a trap when it's revealed, not when it is placed face-down?

edited August 2012
    1 to 3 depending on the desired length of the game. The first test game will be a 1-on=1 game with 1 relic per player.
    I assume I pay the cost of a trap when it's revealed, not when it is placed face-down?

Hmm, I didn't think of it like that. I guess it works better that way, because as it is, it's too easy to guess what the trap is just from what was paid.
    Sure, let's go with that!

21stCentury on
  • y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular
    What would happen if you no longer have enough to pay when the trap is revealed?

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
    y2jake215 wrote: »
    What would happen if you no longer have enough to pay when the trap is revealed?

Well, you can't reveal it if you can't pay for it.

• y2jake215y2jake215 certified Flat Birther theorist the Last Good Boy onlineRegistered User regular

K, makes sense. Just wasn't sure whether traps were revealed by the owner or tripped by the opponent (I skimmed)

C8Ft8GE.jpg
    maybe i'm streaming terrible dj right now if i am its here
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Note. This now allows an element of bluffing that wasn't there before as you can lay down traps that you know you can't activate but your opponent doesn't.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    @21stcentury

not having internet makes joining in on this a little problematic

I will be in as soon as I get it tho

ftOqU21.png

Note. This now allows an element of bluffing that wasn't there before as you can lay down traps that you know you can't activate but your opponent doesn't.

That isn't a bad thing to be honest. Bluffing just adds another level of strategy to the game play.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Holy shit dude, I just looked at this

I need to spend some time going through the rules and cards like Feral is, but man

I really like this so far- I would play the CRAP out of this if it was a Real Game. I don't know if you are really thinking about making this a thing, but I could see it doing well as a "packaged" card game I.e. Ascension.

Like, you get all the cards (or a set of them) in a box, without having to worry about booster packs and stuff.

I want to !Sign In/Up

I will playtest!

edited August 2012
    Raiders and Relics

Whenever you knock out an opponent’s Raider, oyu may choose a Relic card and steal it for your own. You may then either keep your active relic or have the new relic be your active relic. Knocked out Raiders cannot defend nor otherwise act for however many turns their cost is. You may not benefit from passive effects either. You may not attack an opponent whose Raider is knocked out

Typo in your rules text!

So- a clarification. You start the game with one Active relic, and you can play more relics on your turn, but they are facedown and inactive (During the Build phase)? And the winner is the one who has all the relics at the end of their turn (which you can steal after you knock their raider out)?

I have one active relic (Idol of the druids) and one passive (Eagle's wing) which is facedown. My raider gets knocked out, and my opponent can now choose to steal either the faceup one or the facedown relic?

And then, say my raider is Alexia (2 turns). She stays knocked out for two turns, and in those two turns I am basically "safe" from having my second relic stolen?

And are those "two turns" my turns, or my opponent's (say, in a multiplayer game)?

Arch on
    Arch wrote: »
    Raiders and Relics

Whenever you knock out an opponent’s Raider, oyu may choose a Relic card and steal it for your own. You may then either keep your active relic or have the new relic be your active relic. Knocked out Raiders cannot defend nor otherwise act for however many turns their cost is. You may not benefit from passive effects either. You may not attack an opponent whose Raider is knocked out

Typo in your rules text!

So- a clarification. You start the game with one Active relic, and you can play more relics on your turn, but they are facedown and inactive (During the Build phase)? And the winner is the one who has all the relics at the end of their turn (which you can steal after you knock their raider out)?

I have one active relic (Idol of the druids) and one passive (Eagle's wing) which is facedown. My raider gets knocked out, and my opponent can now choose to steal either the faceup one or the facedown relic?

And then, say my raider is Alexia (2 turns). She stays knocked out for two turns, and in those two turns I am basically "safe" from having my second relic stolen?

And are those "two turns" my turns, or my opponent's (say, in a multiplayer game)?

You misunderstood how Relics work. You pick all the relics at the beginning of the game, right after you pick your Raider.
    Your Raider gets knocked out, the other player could pick the relic of his choice, yes.
    Yes, you're "safe" for two turns, but you lose any passive effect from your raider.
    They're two of your turns.
    Let's say turn 5, your raider gets knocked out.
    The opponent picks the relic he or she wants from you and then you start your turn 6. Your raider is knocked out for one more turn. Then your opponent plays, then you play with your raider still out, then your opponent plays and then, at the beginning of your 8th turn, your raider gets back up.

Hope this helps.

edited August 2012
    To triple post- I really really really like the idea of three separate decks.

Another question- Traps come into play facedown and tired, yes? so then I can't flip them until my next turn, but when I do I can automatically tap them?

If so, does Spiriting away kind of get around this?
    #: 052
    Name: Spiriting Away
    Cost: 1 Nature
    Type: Trap - Passive
    Text: Whenever a player plays a resource, you may reveal Spiriting Away. Their resource is destroyed and you may play a resource yourself. Destroy Spiriting Away.

Instead of adding more posts, I will compile a few more things in this one

Firstly- how does healing work? Do raiders "keep" damage done to them? What about creatures? I assumed from the description of battling it was like magic and damage heals at the end of turn, but maybe I missed something.

Also the card image for Stone Golem itself has a typo on it: "Stone Golem may no attack"

Arch on
    Arch wrote: »
    To triple post- I really really really like the idea of three separate decks.

Another question- Traps come into play facedown and tired, yes? so then I can't flip them until my next turn, but when I do I can automatically tap them?

If so, does Spiriting away kind of get around this?
    #: 052
    Name: Spiriting Away
    Cost: 1 Nature
    Type: Trap - Passive
    Text: Whenever a player plays a resource, you may reveal Spiriting Away. Their resource is destroyed and you may play a resource yourself. Destroy Spiriting Away.

okay, Turn 2, you play Spiriting Away. It's tired (tapped). Turn 3, it untaps, but stays face-down. Then, when you want to use it, you reveal it and its effect doesn't need you to tap it, since you destroy the trap as part of its effect.

@Zombiemambo, @Kilnaga. Whenever you're ready, post something to that effect and we'll start the first test game. Think how many cards from which decks you want. If your initial draw is not satisfactory, I have no problem with mulligans. i'd suggest, for the initial draw, about half from the resource deck and half from the main deck.

• ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Do I need to assemble a deck myself? I'm gonna have to take some time to read everything and figure out how it all fits together if that's the case.

JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2012
    You can use any of the 4 test decks, to make it quicker. They're not "good, optimized" decks, but they should be okay for a quick game.

Edit: Check the OP's Links at the end to find the Deck hub.

21stCentury on
    I'll just use one of your pre-made decks. Setting up my own deck by nitpicking through all the cards would take too long when we're not as well acquainted with how the games plays. I'll just use the Soldier Strike deck so we can get things going quicker. So, we just need to tell you how many from each deck we're drawing at the open (I think the opening hand size was 8?). Are you just going to random us the cards out of the deck we pick, or are you wanting us to name/pick specific cards for our draw?

- Terence McKenna
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    I'll just use one of your pre-made decks. Setting up my own deck by nitpicking through all the cards would take too long when we're not as well acquainted with how the games plays. I'll just use the Soldier Strike deck so we can get things going quicker. So, we just need to tell you how many from each deck we're drawing at the open (I think the opening hand size was 8?). Are you just going to random us the cards out of the deck we pick, or are you wanting us to name/pick specific cards for our draw?

i'm gonna use a RNG to shuffle the cards for all 6 decks. it should work. What i'll need (when Zombiemambo picks his deck) is how many cards from which decks you want for your starting hand of 8.

Wait, 6 decks? ;>_>

- Terence McKenna
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Each player has a Main deck, Resource Deck, and Ability Deck.

So 2x3 = 6 decks.

it's the best way i could find to make sure no one is starved on resources! :D

(3-4-1) looks to be a decent draw for the first turn. 3 from main deck, 4 resource, 1 ability. When/how is picking raiders/relic come into play? Would that go before or after we draw hands?

- Terence McKenna