As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Raiders and Relics - Version 0.4.0 ready for the test phase! Play online with LackeyCCG!

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    (3-4-1) looks to be a decent draw for the first turn. 3 from main deck, 4 resource, 1 ability. When/how is picking raiders/relic come into play? Would that go before or after we draw hands?

it's before the draws, you can pick first. Pick 1 relic and 1 raider.

• KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    I guess since I picked the human deck we should go with a human raider? Felix, the Fortunate Shot sounds cool, and I guess Eagle's Wing.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I guess since I picked the human deck we should go with a human raider? Felix, the Fortunate Shot sounds cool, and I guess Eagle's Wing.

Well, You can pick any raider you want, but Felix is a good choice.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    @21stCentury

did you try any of the online card game programs I suggested?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    Feral wrote: »
    @21stCentury

did you try any of the online card game programs I suggested?

I had trouble with all the ones I tried. Cockatrice, i couldn't add my own cards because of some weird installation SNAFU, I think, OCTGN needs some programming knowledge to make your own game... It's not something i can do well, honestly.

@Zombiemambo

Have you picked out a deck yet? You should also pick a Raider and a Relic, other than Felix and the Eagle's Wing.

• WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    21st, I could absolutely lend my programming knowledge to you in setting up your online card game.

Let me check OCTGN out.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Question about the card "The Great Hunt"

It reads: "Every player, starting with you, may play a creature from their hand without paying the cost, until one player cannot play a creature."

So, lets take this scenario:

The card is played by player A. Player A has a hand of 3 of the strongest creatures in the game. Player B has a hand of the 3 weakest creatures in the game.

Player A plays down one of his really strong creatures.

Now for Player B: It says he MAY play a creature from his hand without paying the cost. So he can choose to play one or not. However, it says that The Great Hunt goes on until one player CANNOT play a creature.

So, let's say Player B knows that his creatures are worse and wants to make it so player A gets as few creatures on the table as possible. So lets say he elects to not play a creature. Now, he COULD have played a creature, but CHOSE not to. Does that mean that, even though player B did not elect to play a creature, player A can now play another creature because player B COULD have?

Basically does it go:

Player A: I play a creature
    Player B: I do not play a creature
    *card ends*

OR

Player A: I player a creature
    Player B: I do not elect to play a creature, but I could have
    Player B: I do not elect to play a creature, etc.

Inquisitor on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    I'll try Aelir Attack with Iors and Idol of The Druids

JKKaAGp.png
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Question about the card "The Great Hunt"

It reads: "Every player, starting with you, may play a creature from their hand without paying the cost, until one player cannot play a creature."

So, lets take this scenario:

The card is played by player A. Player A has a hand of 3 of the strongest creatures in the game. Player B has a hand of the 3 weakest creatures in the game.

Player A plays down one of his really strong creatures.

Now for Player B: It says he MAY play a creature from his hand without paying the cost. So he can choose to play one or not. However, it says that The Great Hunt goes on until one player CANNOT play a creature.

So, let's say Player B knows that his creatures are worse and wants to make it so player A gets as few creatures on the table as possible. So lets say he elects to not play a creature. Now, he COULD have played a creature, but CHOSE not to. Does that mean that, even though player B did not elect to play a creature, player A can now play another creature because player B COULD have?

Basically does it go:

Player B: I do not play a creature
    *card ends*

OR

Player A: I player a creature
    Player B: I do not elect to play a creature, but I could have
    Player B: I do not elect to play a creature, etc.

Actually, they would have to play all their creatures, that "may" makes it confusing, i'll fix it next patch into "must play a creature without paying its cost". That is probably a super OP card that won't last long anyway, :o

edited August 2012
    Game One
    @Kilnaga (Felix, The Fortunate Shot) VS @Zombiemambo (Iors, Shaper of Thunder)

Kilnaga uses the Soldier Strike deck with the Eagle's Wing Relic.
    ZombieMambo uses the Aelir Attack deck with the Idol of the Druids Relic.

Zombie, can you tell me how many cards from your decks you'd like to draw? Initial draw is 8 cards and it's good to have at least 4 resource cards up front.

The whole game will be recorded in this post to keep a log of the plays. Hopefully it's not too bulky. i never ran a card game on a forum before. :o

Record of the game added once the game ends. otherwise i'll not have space for the whole game. :|

21stCentury on
    Rules question: What counts as "playing a creature" as the trigger for Reserve Garrison is "whenever you play a creature"

Does creating a Solider Token via Bastion count as playing a creature? When Veteran Commander attacks and puts a 2/3 solider token into play does that count as playing a creature? Or must the creature be played from your hand.

Either way, I made a deck:
    Raider:
    Ironblood, Commander of the multitude

Relics:
    Orb of the Commander, Blacksmith's Heart, Idol of the Druids

Main Deck:
    5x Mercenary
    5x Battlemender Cleric
    5x Veteran Commander
    5x Steel Plate Mail
    5x Veteran's Mail
    5x Reserve Garrison

Resource Deck:
    10x Gold Mine
    3x Bastion
    2x Village

Ability Deck:
    2x Art of Mimicry
    1x Crushing Blow

The goal behind the deck is pretty obvious. Tons of soldiers that grow ever stronger and keep getting healed to full. The ideal combo is something like two mercenaries with veteran's mails living through combat to get +3/+3 and then tapping two Art of Mimicry to turn that into +5/+5. Crushing blow is spot removal.

Inquisitor wrote: »
    Rules question: What counts as "playing a creature" as the trigger for Reserve Garrison is "whenever you play a creature"

Does creating a Solider Token via Bastion count as playing a creature? When Veteran Commander attacks and puts a 2/3 solider token into play does that count as playing a creature? Or must the creature be played from your hand.

Either way, I made a deck:
    Raider:
    Ironblood, Commander of the multitude

Relics:
    Orb of the Commander, Blacksmith's Heart, Idol of the Druids

Main Deck:
    5x Mercenary
    5x Battlemender Cleric
    5x Veteran Commander
    5x Steel Plate Mail
    5x Veteran's Mail
    5x Reserve Garrison

Resource Deck:
    10x Gold Mine
    3x Bastion
    2x Village

Ability Deck:
    2x Art of Mimicry
    1x Crushing Blow

The goal behind the deck is pretty obvious. Tons of soldiers that grow ever stronger and keep getting healed to full. The ideal combo is something like two mercenaries with veteran's mails living through combat to get +3/+3 and then tapping two Art of Mimicry to turn that into +5/+5. Crushing blow is spot removal.

Playing a creature means playing a creature card.

I see you eschew traps completely. i like that, it will test the robustness of traps, I guess.. Gonna add your deck to the list. Just one thing, having the ability "Art of mimicry" twice won't let you use it twice in a turn...

edited August 2012
    Oh well, then, lemme change that to a different ability then.

Edit: The abilities are now:

1x Art of Mimicry
    1x Crushing Blow
    1x Outfitter

Inquisitor on
    Deck was added to the site! Looks pretty devilish to me, too. But it's all offense, all the time, so maybe a trap-centric deck would foil yours.

Deck was added to the site! Looks pretty devilish to me, too. But it's all offense, all the time, so maybe a trap-centric deck would foil yours.

We shall see! I saw some synergies and decided to run with it. Also too many years of playing magic has made me rather inflexible about: 1) making decks as small as possible (I went 30 main deck, 15 resources, 3 abilities) and 2) running as many copies of a card as possible (I went for 5x on most everything). I simply ran out of deck space before I really got to traps. The first big modification I may have to end up making to the deck is some way to get things out of the discard, depending on how much spot removal decks tend to run.

edited August 2012
    Whoops, read that wrong.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    Very well, i'll PM you the draws. Sadly, i'm going to bed shortly afterwards, so the game proper will really begin tomorrow.

edited August 2012
    Active Relic: Eagle's Wing - 0 counters

Turn 1

B/H Phase:
    Play Gold Mine

Current Creatures In Play:
    Raider: Felix, The Fortunate Shot (4/22)

Battle Phase:
    Skip

Conclusion Phase:
    Turn Ends

@Zombiemambo

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna

I just tried sitting down and putting one together. If anybody would like to comment on it so we can get it refined down to something to is even more trap based than what it currently sits at, that wold be helpful. Having the two opposing deck styles so that we can play them against each other would be a good test to see how much weight the different categories of permanents carry.

I drew a little bit from how Inquisitor set up his deck, although it has nowhere near as many cards backing the combo up. I instead put in a few traps/treasures/actions that seemed to me would be of aid when going against a mostly offensive deck. My first poor attempt at deck building:
    Kilnaga's Mecha-Mercenaries

Raider: Berthram of Mechalia

Relics: Rod of Rebuilding, Blacksmith's Heart, Idol of the Druids, Eagle's Wing, Medusa's Mask
    I listed off multiple, and well past the max starting relic limit. Some work with the deck better than others, but none are bad choices. With having to pick relics with your opponent, with no duplicates you might not be able to get some of those relics, so alternatives are needed.

Main Deck:
    Collapsing Corridor x5
    Trapdoor x5
    Lightning Rod x5
    Golden Gear x5
    Saboteur's Sidearm x5
    Veteran's Mail x5
    Mercenary x5
    Battlemender Cleric x5
    Armory Automaton x4
    Grim Golem x1
    End of Contract x5
    Sabotage x5

grabbing traps, treasures, and actions did bump up the deck size a bit though. :(

Resources:
    Gold Mine x10
    Village x3
    Bastion x2

Abilities:
    Disarming Strike x1
    Act of Mimicry x1
    Thick Armor x1

- Terence McKenna
    edited August 2012
    Turn 1

Draw 1
    from Main deck

B/H Phase:
    Play Pure Spring

Battle Phase:
    skip

Conclusion Phase:
    Turn Ends

@Kilnaga

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2012

Turn 2

Harvest Phase:
    Draw 1 from Main Deck
    Gold Mine x1 generates Gold x1

Resource Cards in Play: Gold Mine x1
    Current Total Resource Count: Gold x1

B/H Phase:
    Play Village

Raider: Felix, The Fortunate Shot (4/22)

Battle Phase:
    Skip

Conclusion Phase:
    Turn Ends

@Zombiemambo

And here's where I come to a screeching halt until 21st gets back. I can't make my next turn without knowing what card's I've drawn. :P

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
    edited August 2012
    I thought about that as well since I don't know either, but I said fuck it and played anyway. I say we draw for this turn and the next, that way we'll catch up.

Turn 2

Harvest Phase:

Draw 1 from Main Deck

B/H Phase:
    Play Aelir Haven

Battle Phase:
    Skip

Conclusion Phase:
    Turn Ends

@Kilnaga

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2012
    I didn't have a problem with it for that turn, as I probably would have played the Village no matter what I drew. Now that I'll be drawing two cards next turn, I need to see what those 3 cards I've drawn are, because my starting draw was kind of crappy and I'm essentially out of things I can play without waiting multiple turns for resources. ;>_>

I do like that we've quickly got a little format down, so that all our turns will look uniform. That will really help with data gathering/dissecting the game play as we go along. I'm thinking as treasure/traps/creatures get played we'll list totals of them on board under the B/H heading similar to how I started my resource tally under the Harvest heading. Traps > Treasure > Creatures is probably the most logical order to place them in. Most useful information closest to the Battle Phase heading, so when we start doing combat the list of creatures and their stats are close at hand.

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
    Yeah I've pretty much run out of useful stuff at this point. We'll see what the draw(s) bring(s).

Agreed on the order.

JKKaAGp.png
    edited August 2012
    I went back and edited my Turn 2's Harvest phase. Put in a listing of resources so we can more easily keep track of what is actually on the field.

Then I'll just quote my previous Turn and make the few edits needed for actions taken, so that I can easily drag along the lists of cards in play/total resources/etc.

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
    Wow, Kilnaga is a pro at this! I'm up now, i'll PM you your draws. Zombie drew 2 from his Main deck and Kilnaga drew 1, correct?

Coming up!

Also, @Kilnaga & @Zombiemambo : You can PM me your draws for turn 3. That way, you'll get your cards before playing your turn.

edited August 2012

Turn 3

Harvest Phase:
    Draw 1 from Main Deck, 1 from Resource Deck
    Gold Mine x1 generates Gold x1

Resource Cards in Play: Gold Mine x2, Village x1
    Current Total Resource Count: Gold x2

B/H Phase:
    Play Gold Mine

Raider: Z Felix, The Fortunate Shot (4/22) 6 DMG counters

Battle Phase:
    Felix, The Fortunate Shot (4/22) Attack Player Zombiemambo
    Results: Iors, Shaper of Thunder takes 4 DMG, Felix, The Fortunate Shot takes 6 DMG
    Tire Felix, The Fortunate Shot (4/22)
    It is Turn 3, so the Raiders can attack now. Can you take us through how this combat resolves to make sure I did this correctly? @21stCentury

Conclusion Phase:
    Turn Ends

@Zombiemambo

Not sure yet how to streamline resolving combat with the format we've setup.

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
    You did this correctly, Zombiemambo has no creatures or traps in play, so he cannot defend. Of course, that means if Zombie decides to attack, he'll take no damage, since Felix will be tired until your next Commerce phase.

edited August 2012
    It almost seems like 2 turns isn't enough to keep the Raiders out of play at the start of the game. You don't really have much of an opportunity to get something out on the field to act as a buffer for it. Especially in a 1 Relic game, having the Raider take that much DMG that early seems like a PITA.

Kilnaga on
    - Terence McKenna
    It almost seems like 2 turns isn't enough to keep the Raiders out of play at the start of the game. You don't really have much of an opportunity to get something out on the field to act as a buffer for it. Especially in a 1 Relic game, having the Raider take that much DMG that early seems like a PITA.

what does PITA mean?

Pain in the ass.

- Terence McKenna
    Oh, Gotcha.

Yeah, Maybe i need to change the rules a bit more. prevent direct raider vs raider combat, maybe?

I don't know about out right preventing it, but restricting it for a few more turns might help. Give both players time to put some resources into play, enough to have at least 1 creature to act as a buffer between them so they aren't duking it out right away. A 1 relic game would be rather short otherwise if the Raider is going down so quickly.

- Terence McKenna
    edited August 2012
    Turn 3

Harvest Phase
    Draw 1
    from Resource Deck
    Pure Spring x 1 generates Nature x 1

Resource Cards in Play: Pure Spring x 1, Aelir Haven x 1
    Current Total Resource Count: Nature x 1

B/H Phase
    Play Pure Springs
    1 Nature, Z Aelir Haven: Create 2/2 Elf Soldier Token

Battle Phase
    (I don't know if I can use my token the turn it is played, but if I can, I will. I also don't know if tokens can tire)
    Z Elf Soldier Token: attack @Kilnaga
    Z Iors, Shaper of Thunder: attack Kilnaga
    Results: 2 damage to Felix, The Fortunate Shot from Elf Soldier Token
    6 damage to Felix, The Fortunate Shot from Iors, Shaper of Thunder

Conclusion Phase
    Turn Ends

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Just popping in to mention you might want to check out something like LackeyCCG to get some real-time playtesting in.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
    Tokens are the same as creatures, meaning they're tired on their first turn.

Do you still attack with Iors?

edited August 2012
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Just popping in to mention you might want to check out something like LackeyCCG to get some real-time playtesting in.

i'll check it out tomorrow, thanks for the tip.

So far, the only problem is it doesn't support multiple sizes for cards, but aside from that, LackeyCCG might be the perfect thing. i'll try and see what i can do with it tomorrow, but i have a good feeling from it.

21stCentury on
    If the token is tired I'll go ahead and use Iors anyway

JKKaAGp.png
    Very well.

Also, I just made the main Plugin info file for using LackeyCCG. i have a very good feeling about this, it might be a bit weird, but it should work a better than PbP for some people. Traps might be a bit wonky, though. Same for Tokens and counters, but it should work well enough.