As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX PRIME 2012 Handheld Lounge Tournament Info

b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy ManagerCanadaRegistered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
PAX PRIME 2012 Handheld Lounge Tournament Info Thread

Apologies for lateness, folks, but here it is!

If any of you follow our twitter @HandHeldLounges, you already know most of the on-goings and goings-on!

First things first, look at the shiny: prime.paxsite.com/schedule/category/hh-p

Tournament Sign-ups: All tourney sign-ups begin Friday as soon as the doors are open. Unless otherwise stated, the cap is 64 total participants for each game. Overflow lists will be made when original lists are full.

In addition to the tournaments we also have meet-ups!
-In the past, we've had various meet-ups for game data trading (ie: Pokewalker & the ever popular PAX Pokemon League, DragonQuest IX, TWEWY...) The specific events & times are currently being sorted out to work around the PAX schedule. This section will be updated with newly relevant information as it is confirmed.

PAX Pokemon League: TBD
Streetpass/Mii Plaza meetup hour: TBD
-"You can have infinite tags, but your plaza only holds the most recent 3000 miis".

Did you know?
We have more than a game library, we've also got charging cables available! You can sign one out, or you can leave your device with us where it will be securely stored while you enjoy some other part of PAX! Plenty of DS/DSi/3DS cables.

Rules & Info

Basics
-Each game will have a main and standby sheet. Standby works on a first come, first serve basis.
-Start times are as stated. Some tournaments may not finish on time, but this will not effect other tournament start times.
-Rounds will be monitored by Enforcers to make sure everything is copacetic.
-Players are expected to self monitor to some extent as well, in line with the PAX code of conduct and Wheaton's Law.

DS TOURNEYS 
Tetris DS and Mario Kart DS - SAME AS IT EVER WAS - But really, most of you know the score. For those uninitiated, the rules are below.

Tetris DS 
Sunday @ 12pm
-64 slots 
-Single elimination 2 player games 
-No items

MarioKart DS
Friday @ 5pm
-64 slots 
-8 player Grand Prix races - top 4 players move on to the next round 
-150cc 
-Random tracks 
-NO SNAKING - evidence of snaking will either result in replaying the round or ejection from the tournament. 

We highly disapprove of snaking. Single elimination with the top 4 moving on to the final round. In the final round we do an actual grand prix. 

Mario Kart 7
Saturday @ 5pm
-Same rules as the MKDS tourney. Random tracks, it's all peaches.
-Have fun, follow Wheaton's Law.

PSP & VITA TOURNEYS 

Lumines
Friday @ 1pm
-ad-hoc only for duel mode
-single elim, best of 3 each round but the semi and finals

Mortal Kombat (Vita)
-32 slots (depending on demand)
-Single elimination 1vs1 (ad hoc multiplayer) 
-First three rounds: Best of 5
-Subsequent rounds: Best of 3 

Your friendly neighborhood HH Enforcers will be on hand to answer any questions day-of, and make sure everyone's good to go. As always, we're super excited to see old and new attendees alike and hope everyone else is pumped for some good times!

zerzhul on

• akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    I am naive... What is "snaking"?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • JindraxJindrax Registered User regular
    I am naive... What is "snaking"?

Drifting on one side long enough to get a speed boost and then switching to the other side to do the same.
    For Example...

• ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Pretty much, if you don't know what it is, it usually means you don't know how, which is good! At least for our purposes.

• JamieODJamieOD Dublin, IrelandRegistered User regular
    Oh that's good, when I read that rule I mixed up snaking with slipstreaming and thought it meant the latter.

• wooperzwooperz Registered User regular
    So is the turbo-boost completely off-limits? (I use this when going around corners, but not on straight-aways.)

Found a Youtube video and the guy was repeatedly turbo-boosting (even on straightaways). It looked ridiculous.

I'd like to participate, and want to be sure I'm playing by the rules!

ACNL Dream Suite: 5200-2176-8529
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    wooperz wrote: »
    So is the turbo-boost completely off-limits? (I use this when going around corners, but not on straight-aways.)

Found a Youtube video and the guy was repeatedly turbo-boosting (even on straightaways). It looked ridiculous.

There's a HUGE difference between power sliding and snaking, there's no way you can just banish all power sliding.

• b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    wooperz wrote: »

There's a HUGE difference between power sliding and snaking, there's no way you can just banish all power sliding.

Power-sliding and boosts through corners is fine. It's the straight-aways and manipulation of the snaking technique that is not allowed. So don't do what that dude did, and you'll be fine. (I'm suddenly reminded of a Simpsons reference: "Don't do what Donny Don't does.")

And it's just a guess, but snaking probably isn't great for the longevity of a DS control pad either.

• ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    Bumping for great justice!
    And also to update with a bit of meet-up info.

The monster hunter crew will be in the lounges all of Saturday!
    Street Pass Seattle has a gathering from 2:30-3:30 on Saturday. This will be at the level one fountain though, not in the lounge.
    Also, between battling gym leaders, go forth and wander to the GameStop on 600 Pine St for the legendary event.

This discussion has been closed.