As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [TED Fiasco] - What's Actually At Stake

1235»

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    SkyGheNe wrote: »
    Since when did republican become a dirty word? Your logic does not follow. You may take issue with him calling out a specific political party - but when that party is the one extolling the virtues of the very thing the speaker is arguing against, well, it seems apt to bring them up.

What he means is that TED's tried its hardest to be "non-partisan" so businesses will link to it and it'll get support. If they have a speech that rails against a specific party (not just a platform) and mentions the party by name, all the Republican businesses will go "hey, TED's just a liberal mouthpiece!" and quit using/buying tickets for TED. TED wants to sell tickets, so they want as many people to like them as possible. Hence their banning of anything that seems like a hitpiece.

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    TED should stick to hard science then

Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    But keeping with the analogy, if you just replaced it with "our african american friends" it should be just as offensive if the content is offensive. Now that I think of it, having that word being a sacred cow of our society is also really dumb.

No, it really wouldn't be just as offensive. That's what I've been saying. He could have used something other than a direct callout to republicans, and he didn't. As people have noted, there are other talks about income inequality on TED, but this particular one was banned. Maybe it's because it's so much more anti-libertarian than all the other ones, or maybe it's because the speaker insults half the united states in his opening statement. I'm going with the latter.

There's a huge difference between saying "<x> economic policy does not work" and "the REPUBLICAN economic policy <x> does not work". Even if they're the exact same economic policy.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    zerg rush wrote: »
    but if you can substitute it with less politically offensive language while still meaning the same thing at the same people, then it's all semantics and the whole framework is dumb

I could have a talk about how ethnicity effects incarceration rates, but if I use the n***** word nobody will care about what I have to say. I don't think that's just semantics.

Calling out a specific political party is a faux pas. It's not as offensive, but it's still unacceptable in this context.

Since when did republican become a dirty word? Your logic does not follow. You may take issue with him calling out a specific political party - but when that party is the one extolling the virtues of the very thing the speaker is arguing against, well, it seems apt to bring them up.

Pretty much. Republicans are doing a thing he's speaking out against. It would be disingenuous of him not o mention them by name. Referring to them as "they who shall not be named" is just ridiculous. This isn't Harry Potter.

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Pretty much. Republicans are doing a thing he's speaking out against. It would be disingenuous of him not o mention them by name. Referring to them as "they who shall not be named" is just ridiculous. This isn't Harry Potter.

I'd just note, again, that I agree with the statement itself & with calling-out Republicans - but TED clearly does not, and I'm pretty sure this specific thing is spelled-out in TED's 'golden tenets' or whatever they're called (along with 'do not plug your business on TED').

My bet is that if the word 'Republicans' hadn't been used, there would've been no issue and this talk would've been featured much like any other.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    The Ender wrote: »

I'd just note, again, that I agree with the statement itself & with calling-out Republicans - but TED clearly does not, and I'm pretty sure this specific thing is spelled-out in TED's 'golden tenets' or whatever they're called (along with 'do not plug your business on TED').

My bet is that if the word 'Republicans' hadn't been used, there would've been no issue and this talk would've been featured much like any other.

My sentiments exactly.

zerg rush on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    Yeah, the talk didn't press any magic buttons. It just wasn't 1 out of 1,000 great, and it was unnecessarily partisan-political. Dude lawyered up the second he heard he wouldn't be posted. Crybaby.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    but if you can substitute it with less politically offensive language while still meaning the same thing at the same people, then it's all semantics and the whole framework is dumb

I could have a talk about how ethnicity effects incarceration rates, but if I use the n***** word nobody will care about what I have to say. I don't think that's just semantics.

Calling out a specific political party is a faux pas. It's not as offensive, but it's still unacceptable in this context.

That's because n****r is a slur.

Republican is not.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    The Ender wrote: »

And the talk would have been about 1000 times less informative and accurate for it.

It's an interesting, if unsurprising, showcase of the limits of TED.

"You can talk about the big problems of this world. Unless they are caused by the GOP. Then we're gonna have to ask you to be really vague about the whole thing, please and thank you."

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Yar wrote: »
    Dude lawyered up the second he heard he wouldn't be posted. Crybaby.

No, he didn't. Read the OP. He'd already hired a PR firm to promote the book he co-authored on this very subject. Anderson used a lie of omission to say they were hired in response to this incident.

• Options
    SkyGheNeSkyGheNe Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Let's talk about a subject but avoid addressing the issue directly.

Sounds pretty juvenile to me. I graduated from high school so that I could leave it behind - not so that I had to deal with the same crap as an adult - and I'll drag anyone up to my level before stooping to theirs. I'm pretty happy that the speaker was direct about this.

SkyGheNe on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Salon has a good piece on the topic, even if the author does buy into the whole "censorship" gooseshit :

http://www.salon.com/2012/05/21/dont_mention_income_inequality_please_were_entrepreneurs/

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    shryke wrote: »

That's because n****r is a slur.

Republican is not.

I don't think he meant specifically Republicans, it applies to all political parties. The "controversial" speech only mentioned Republicans so they're the obvious example.
    Let's talk about a subject but avoid addressing the issue directly.

Sounds pretty juvenile to me. I graduated from high school so that I could leave it behind - not so that I had to deal with the same crap as an adult - and I'll drag anyone up to my level before stooping to theirs. I'm pretty happy that the speaker was direct about this.

Yeah. It is pretty silly for framing arguments.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So, The New Republic has put out a piece that much more eloquently discusses and dissects the issue I felt the Hanauer fiasco highlighed - The Naked and the TED - The Unabashed Charlatanism of Our Techno-Humanitarian Elite.

I think that Morozov best sums up the issue in the lede to the second part of the piece:
    I can surmise why the Khannas would have wanted to write this book, but it is not immediately obvious why TED Books would have wanted to publish it. I must disclose that I spoke at a TED Global Conference in Oxford in 2009, and I admit that my appearance there certainly helped to expose my argument to a much wider audience, for which I remain grateful. So I take no pleasure in declaring what has been obvious for some time: that TED is no longer a responsible curator of ideas “worth spreading.” Instead it has become something ludicrous, and a little sinister.

Today TED is an insatiable kingpin of international meme laundering—a place where ideas, regardless of their quality, go to seek celebrity, to live in the form of videos, tweets, and now e-books. In the world of TED—or, to use their argot, in the TED “ecosystem”—books become talks, talks become memes, memes become projects, projects become talks, talks become books—and so it goes ad infinitum in the sizzling Stakhanovite cycle of memetics, until any shade of depth or nuance disappears into the virtual void. Richard Dawkins, the father of memetics, should be very proud. Perhaps he can explain how “ideas worth spreading” become “ideas no footnotes can support.”

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum