As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Costumes

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    Putting out feelers for potential costume. If I were to dress as a Tech-head from Dollhouse would anybody know what the fuck I was, or would I just be another post apocalyptic survivor to most?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    Putting out feelers for potential costume. If I were to dress as a Tech-head from Dollhouse would anybody know what the fuck I was, or would I just be another post apocalyptic survivor to most?

I probably would, but only because I literally just started watching Dollhouse this week.

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Dhalsim so far... (still need to get the rope for the shorts)
    255250_600571104370_967573746_n.jpg

• ZerisZeris Registered User regular
    Went as Dante from DMC 4 last year, going as a member of the Illuminati from The Secret World this year.

• skylatronskylatron Registered User regular
    Zeris wrote: »
    going as a member of the Illuminati from The Secret World this year.

If we see each other, we should get a picture together :) I will probably only be doing my Templar cosplay on Saturday.

• katarinirawrkatarinirawr Registered User new member
    Hi! Prop related question and I DID read the rules, but my question is kind of a 'gray area'.

I'll be cosplaying Juliet Starling in her Purple Pride uniform to PAX with a chainsaw....
    And I've already gutted the base, removed the actual blade (to be replaced with some wood), but should I bother bringing it? It'll be a bit heavy since it's a very old base (When they still used all metal) and the only thing left on it will be the rotary and pull thingy, but it obviously won't start and it'll be painted pink among other colors. (The blade will have the cut outs too)

I just don't want to get in trouble for the base being metal...
    Or should I go with a child's plastic chainsaw even if it's not accurate? The one I found makes noise and the motor works, but the size gives it away and once you feel it you KNOW it's fake. I was going to see about modding it if I had to go this route, but I wanted affirmation before continuing.

--my other two costumes are:
    Neptune from Hyperdimension Neptunia
    And a secret one! :D

• CreamsteakCreamsteak Thrall Registered User regular
    Do you actually want to carry around something with a motor for a good portion of a day?

• AaronCAaronC Enforcer - Lieutenant Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    I don't have a problem with a chainsaw without real blades. I wouldn't care if it worked (and had no blades), but actually running one with exhaust would probably be something the convention center would frown upon.

I say bring it with no blades if you like.

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Creamsteak wrote: »
    Do you actually want to carry around something with a motor for a good portion of a day?
    Yeah that just sounds...uncomfortable. Unless this is something you've carried around in the past, you'd probably end up regretting it. Plus with the hordes of people at PAX, and then all the cool swag you'll end up having to carry ('cuz like hell you're passing up that free poster)? I'd go with something lighter and more obviously within the rules, even if it looks fake. I mean, it's all fake anyway, so it's not like anyone's gonna ding you points or something for not actually having a working chainsaw in a crowded convention.
    Same thing goes for shoes. I feel bad for Bayonetta, but then she's like a super-pro at this or something and they're a rather important part of the character. But for most anything else, just go with comfy and passable shoes. I know I won't be looking for blue hooker heels for my Scout Ma; probably find some blue ballet flats or something and then just re-use them for Flapjack, too.

• BombClancyBombClancy Sugar Lady Registered User regular
    The front part of the dress is done:
    th_Tetrislegsanddress016.jpg

The back part of the dress is laid out and ready to be secured:
    th_Tetrislegsanddress018.jpg

what do you call a pile of kittens? A meoooowntain!
    itweet
  • jennariccijennaricci Registered User new member
    Hey everyone! I am super excited to see everyone's costumes and take TONS of photos.

I am currently working on Commander Shepard armor from Mass Effect 3 (I'm sure there will be A LOT of ME cosplay)

I have most of it done, I just need to finish the legs and shoes.

Here is the front chest piece:
    n7_chest_stomach_painted_by_jennaricci-d5afyrs.jpg

And here is the back:
    n7_back_finished_by_jennaricci-d5al954.jpg

This is my first costume I've made by myself

• LelentalLelental Registered User regular
    My Zoya the Thief from Trine 2 is finished! I'm only releasing a teaser photo prior to PAX ^^
    304698_569816496909_1596143291_n.jpg

• archfaitharchfaith Registered User new member
    Really looking forward to seeing all the cosplay at PAX Prime this year! This is my first Prime, I've been to all years of East so far. I'm going to have two outfits--Julia Chang from Tekken and Lammy from Um Jammer Lammy. Since both outfits are fairly easy to get around in, and not too far away from street clothes, I'm not sure what days I'll be doing what outfit.

Hope to see some Tekken and rhythm game cosplayers while I'm there too!!

• taxortaxor Registered User regular
    Confirmed, and crushed any hope, that my BoS armor would be done by PAX this weekend. Did the cutout work on the back, chest, biceps, and forearms this weekend and a bit of the sanding. Will post progress pics after I get a chance to resize them. It will be done for next year though.

• kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I was trying to ask in the Cosplay.com crossplay sub-forum, but for some reason none of my posts will show up. I wanted to check with someone who is not my boyfriend (because he won't give me a straight answer!) whether or not I could pass as a (feminine?) guy...

[1]
    [2]

This is without the wig and the makeup, which I still need to learn to do. I think having some stubble would probably help a lot.

kemikal on
    Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    kemikal wrote: »
    I was trying to ask in the Cosplay.com crossplay sub-forum, but for some reason none of my posts will show up. I wanted to check with someone who is not my boyfriend (because he won't give me a straight answer!) whether or not I could pass as a (feminine?) guy...

[1]
    [2]

This is without the wig and the makeup, which I still need to learn to do. I think having some stubble would probably help a lot.

I believe you could pass as a feminine guy. Especially with the hat. I'm assuming you're trying to pull off the CvS version of Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury?

vhkbviT.png
  • kemikalkemikal Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Alphonsis wrote: »
    I believe you could pass as a feminine guy. Especially with the hat. I'm assuming you're trying to pull off the CvS version of Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury?

I was going more for KOF '98, but close enough. I'll never be able to achieve those arm muscles anyway.

"Yea, I'm going [to PAX] as a girly Asian guy cosplaying as Terry Bogard."

kemikal on
    Assassin's Ball, Prime '13: @CowboyVerse
    TWDT '13: Hufflepuff OotP
  • TurnedtoGoldTurnedtoGold PittsburghRegistered User regular
    In addition to my Jeanne cosplay I think I'll be going as Poison Ivy from Arkham City. I'm dying my hair red, and figured it'd be simple enough to throw together.

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    Ugh now I actually want to cosplay. But I suck at creating things. Is it acceptable to just purchase a costume?

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • AtashiAtashi Registered User regular
    teddie_head27.jpg

The head is pretty much done at this point. I just need to glue the edges down, which I'll do at the con since the whole head will be disassembled for travel, and shift the inner batting layer around to get rid of the uneven bottom.

PAX Prime 2013 Cosplays
    Silica - Sword Art Online -Infinity Moment-
    Teddie - Persona 4

Finally retiring Recette. It's been a good run.
  • shinbishinbi Registered User regular
    Lelental wrote: »
    My Zoya the Thief from Trine 2 is finished! I'm only releasing a teaser photo prior to PAX ^^
    304698_569816496909_1596143291_n.jpg

IT'S YOU!
    (Where you got your leather belt made is where I also went to get my leather stuff made.) They told me about your outfit and I saw the belt they made when I was there, but seeing this picture of it totally makes me anxious! Looks like it'll be awesome!

I hope to see your outfit at PAX! ^_^

Creamsteak wrote: »

Actually, it's been gutted-it doesn't work at all, the gas tank has been emptied and cleaned. Meaning the motor portion has been removed and only the rotatory is in there. And I am staying at a hotel that's across the street from the Convention Center. I have my boyfriend to carry my swag and cellphone. ^.^ I can also carry 5lbs with ease (I can lift 30lbs and do reps with normal weights)

But if I can't have a wooden blade on it, then there's no point in Bringing the chainsaw and I'll save it for a private shoot after the convention or before.

I guess it's a matter of "If I finish it" at this point though, since I've been busy with work.

Ravenger wrote: »
    Ugh now I actually want to cosplay. But I suck at creating things. Is it acceptable to just purchase a costume?

Of Course it is! :) But most costumes on ebay take at least 25 days+shipping, and local commissioners take a week and shipping can take three weeks... So.. a rushed costume is NOT a cheap costume.

You could also closet cosplay

• vennomm22vennomm22 Registered User regular
    Possibly bringing my helmet I made a few years ago. yea or nay?
    2012-08-16_03-46-29_335.jpg

• Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Since I can't have any guns, the awesome guys at Slant Six were generous enough to give me my main prop for my costume. XD
    A0b9KKjCIAAUina.jpg:large

Sharkey1337 on
  • peterhuzzajpspeterhuzzajps Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Really wanted to cosplay this year but couldn't find the time to come up with anything.. I am just not creative enough i guess heh. Who knows.. maybe I can still come up with something lol

peterhuzzajps on
  • HemisphereHemisphere Registered User regular
    Since I can't have any guns, the awesome guys at Slant Six were generous enough to give me my main prop for my costume. XD
    A0b9KKjCIAAUina.jpg:large

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that's far more amusing and awesome than a gun as a prop. Nice work!

• TiffanyanTiffanyan Registered User new member
    Not done with the costume yet, but I'm finishing up Jace from Magic the Gathering. I'm going on Saturday-- if anyone wants to hang out!
    2njaefs.jpg

• ZerisZeris Registered User regular
    skylatron wrote: »
    If we see each other, we should get a picture together :) I will probably only be doing my Templar cosplay on Saturday.

I'll keep an eye out for you.

• jennariccijennaricci Registered User new member
    Whoo I just finished my armor today and did my first test fitting!

Front:
    test_fitting_commander_shepard_front_by_jennaricci-d5brjjl.jpg

Back:
    test_fitting_commander_shepard_back_by_jennaricci-d5brjmj.jpg

• Sharkey1337Sharkey1337 Registered User regular
    jennaricci wrote: »
    Whoo I just finished my armor today and did my first test fitting!

Front:
    test_fitting_commander_shepard_front_by_jennaricci-d5brjjl.jpg

Back:
    test_fitting_commander_shepard_back_by_jennaricci-d5brjmj.jpg

AWESOME! The working lights really adds to it!

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    FINALIZED my ideas.

I'll be going as Canadaman on Friday. Feel free to sign the cape if you dare!
    A LoadingReadyRunner on Saturday. (Very 'in-joke' costume, if you get it I'll give you a prize)
    And finally Viktor from Lackadaisy on Sunday, minus any weapons but with a large club 'tattooed' on my forearm to make up for that.
    Full body (also proof that I have the dirtiest mirror x.x)
    photo.jpg
    Face
    photo1.jpg

PayneTrayne on
    PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • dstchiaridstchiari Registered User regular
    My GW2 Mesmer costume is very nearly done (just have to finish a couple small pieces and the staff :3). Hubby's GW2 ranger costume is done! Very excited for PAX this year. :D

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    Within the past week, I've been getting ready for my Ada Wong cosplay. I've cut my hair, gotten my eyebrows waxed, and turned Asian. Only two of these are true. :P

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    I've spoilt my Dalek dress. I should have used iron on fusing for the slats and collar as the fabric is too stretchy. I've only just realised this :( Props to all the amazing cosplayer outfit makers.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • JotenJoten Registered User new member
    Sorry if this has been covered. Is there a day that is more of the "cosplay day". I don't remember seeing more/less costumes between Friday/Saturday. I know a lot of people take Sunday as the uninterupted walk around PAX with out pictures day.

Just curious, first time so I'm still getting the feel for it/nervous as all hell.

Thanks guys, say hi if you see a bearded/goatee'd Mal Reynolds with no gun (no way that thing would pass "2nd glance" sadly)

• ScunosiScunosi WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Joten wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been covered. Is there a day that is more of the "cosplay day". I don't remember seeing more/less costumes between Friday/Saturday. I know a lot of people take Sunday as the uninterupted walk around PAX with out pictures day.

Just curious, first time so I'm still getting the feel for it/nervous as all hell.

Thanks guys, say hi if you see a bearded/goatee'd Mal Reynolds with no gun (no way that thing would pass "2nd glance" sadly)
    I was wondering the same thing a while ago, but as I recall from last year I don't remember any one day having more or better costumes than any of the other days. The first day you'll probably get more attention/traffic, but it'll be harder to move around 'cuz of the opening rush. The last day will probably be the flipped version of that.
    However, the first day one of the sponsors (OnLive) had a little costume contest in the morning pre-con line. My friend actually ended up winning! But it wasn't actually that great as far as a costume contest went, 'cuz there weren't any cameras to show the people on stage on the big screens that had been playing the same ad on loop for an hour.
    Beyond that there aren't any "official" contests that I know of. If you've got one really good costume you could always just wear it every day, I'm sure people with cameras would appreciate it even though it seems to be something of a cosplay fashion faux pas. I know if I put a ton of work into something I'd want to show it off as much as possible, and it'd not like you can really go around outside of conventions in these costumes.

• BuraisuBuraisu Psychomancer Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Is anyone using a 3D printer this year to make their costume? Or have plans to use one in the future? I was wondering because I would like my first costume to be created using 3D printing. I tried to research costumes using 3D printing technology and found one really good one of Cecil from Final Fantasy IV.

Here is a link to it: Cecil Cosplay

47uk6agplx83.png
  • MembinoMembino Registered User regular
    well my corporate mundo costumes done ill be walking around in that until it gets too uncomfortable then ill probably change halfway through the day. i am assuming if you want to do this you can run leave the event to go to your car and get back in with your badge/handstamp??? i wanted to do some tabletop as well and i didnt wanna lug my case around with me either the whole day.

• LaemkralLaemkral Captain Punch King Chester, VARegistered User regular
    I've decided to do a cosplay. I'll be one of the assuredly plentiful Doctors running around, though I'm only going to wear the costume on Sunday. So, if Sunday you see the Tenth Doctor with a way too short haircut (I could never ever get away with growing the proper hair and sideburns without taking a month of leave prior to PAX) walking around...that's me. Especially if he has a Bag of Holding for his Sonic Screwdriver.

This is just me slowly succumbing a bit more to cosplaying, which will inevitably result in me coming one year dressed as the me in my avatar.

Avatar courtesy of MKR, and the strip I appeared in.
This discussion has been closed.