As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] Discussions of Wil Wheaton's cardboard nerd-cred consolidated here.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    Against my better judgement I tried watching the latest Tabletop, but luckily I could only make it through a few minutes before I had to stop. It's bad enough that someone answered the "what would you wish for" question with "more wishes", aka the most obvious and overdone answer, but then that got picked as the best? Really? And then the next question, "what's the worst thing to say at a job interview", just gets 3 variations of "I would like to have sex with you/your family."

I can tolerate watching a bunch of strangers play a party game, but they at least have to be funny strangers.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Why are there no fantasy dogfighting games? I want Dragons vs Griffons vs Airships, yo.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    Why are there no fantasy dogfighting games? I want Dragons vs Griffons vs Airships, yo.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/63027/leviathans

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Boardgame day today. 3 players, and we got through a game of Quarriors (fun), Dominion (always fun), Eclipse (took some time getting used to it for the new players but by the end it was good) and 7 Wonders. 7 Wonders is a fantastic game that I can't recommend enough. Incredibly easy to pick up, very quick to play, everybody stays active throughout the whole game and lots of strategy and interaction. Looking forward to playing it again immensely.

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Soooo tried a real life game of REX using what I learned from the recent game here:

1. Get into 3 man Lazax alliance ASAP. Ideal team is Lazax, Xxcha, and then either Letnev or Sol (Sol is solid and you feed Letnev's double cards). You don't need Hacan's deploy discount and you don't need Jol-Nar's info gathering because you'll be monopolizing all the cards anyway.
    2. Rig every bid so you get all the cards. Donate all money to one player who keeps raising until he wins the bid or the enemy bankrupts himself for that one card.
    3. Repeat until player is almost at his hand limit, then have your teammates raise the bid until it's the amount you want to donate back to Lazax.
    4. Lazax donates the money to the other teammate and repeats the last two steps.
    5. Allow Lazax to pick up low bids to minimize money lost to bank.
    6. Intentionally burn through cards (even discarding combat cards if you win a battle) so that you'll be able to get all the new cards next turn.

It was unstoppable. The Lazax team got almost all the cards without losing more than 5 influence to the bank every turn. The other players bankrupted themselves getting one card which was useless in the face of Xxcha's banning power. They then had no money to revive or deploy (even with Hacan discount) and were locked out of picking up more influence due to the Lazax team being better armed.

I...really think this game needs some house rules. God help me I love the concept and want it to work but I think it needs tinkering. Secret communication should be allowed (boost to Jol-Nar) and the old Dune rule of everyone being able to donate at the end of a turn should be brought back (boosting Jol-Nar, Hacan, and nerfing Lazax).

I tried checking out BGG for a counter, but I forgot that these were the guys who think the 2 VP Bloodletter upgrade is balanced. All I got was "Everything has a counter you just have to find it", knee jerk dismissals that since it was only the 2nd game I played (8 more observed) that nothing I said about balance could be true, meaningless trigger word cries of "groupthink", and some theorycrafting that an aware Lazax team could easily dance around.

I'm kind of starting to think not too many people have fully realized how far a Lazax alliance can be exploited. Every strategy and session I've read, people just treat the money from cards as a nice bonus then happily sit on full hands allowing their opponents to pick leftover cards once that happens. I can see it being balanced under those circumstance, but if you are absolutely cutthroat and burn cards there's no reason the other players should ever get a single card without draining every penny they have.

MrBody on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    Broke down and ordered Duel in the Dark and Long Shot off tanga. After this, no more games for a while!

sig.gif
  • Options
    Also, I was in target today just seeing what games they had, saw that they had a price and spot ready for the x-wing game.

sig.gif
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Also, I was in target today just seeing what games they had, saw that they had a price and spot ready for the x-wing game.

Cannot wait for that spot to fill. I hope the expansions are quickly made available as well. Perhaps they'll put them in the section near the Magic, Pokemon, YuGiOh, etc cards.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    What was the house rule for say anything? It's not like it's got a ton of rules, I like it a lot as it is.

The judge is supposed to get points for each person that picked the "winning" answer, up to a max of 3, and the player who wrote the "winning" answer gets a bonus point.

• Options
    Nullzone wrote: »
    What was the house rule for say anything? It's not like it's got a ton of rules, I like it a lot as it is.

The judge is supposed to get points for each person that picked the "winning" answer, up to a max of 3, and the player who wrote the "winning" answer gets a bonus point.

Yeah, that's the normal rule. Did they not do that?

sig.gif
  • Options

Yeah, that's the normal rule. Did they not do that?

They simply scored points based on how many tokens you placed on the chosen answer.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    That's lame. Not letting the judge score points means they're not invested in the round, and won't make much of an effort to make sure their answer is predictable (ie correct). Actually, it would be better for them to be UNpredictable.

sig.gif
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Bogart wrote: »
    Boardgame day today. 3 players, and we got through a game of Quarriors (fun), Dominion (always fun), Eclipse (took some time getting used to it for the new players but by the end it was good) and 7 Wonders. 7 Wonders is a fantastic game that I can't recommend enough. Incredibly easy to pick up, very quick to play, everybody stays active throughout the whole game and lots of strategy and interaction. Looking forward to playing it again immensely.

7 Wonders really was a lot of fun, and so easy to pick up and play fairly quickly (IIRC we played two games of that). I know people bitch about it, but I still really like Quarriors, and I really hope I have a job soon so I can get some expansions for Dominion. Eclipse was a bit complicated at first, but I think we were getting the hang of it by the end and I'd quite like to have another game of that at some point.

Really looking forward to next Boardgames day :)

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I got Quarriors for my Birthday!

Twice!

How my Mother In Law manages to fuck up Amazon lists is a mystery but she does it every year.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    now that is a lot of dice.

• Options
    TrynantTrynant Maniac Brawler Rank 20.100 and full WildRegistered User regular
    So Combat Commander is a pretty neat little game, but on my first play of it I felt I had trouble settling with the rules and the rhythm of card play for like half the game. Still, both the person I was playing with and I enjoyed the game overall. I just need more practice with the rules :-/

Dungeon Command is a neat tactical minis game. In terms of complexity and depth it is right on par with the D&D Adventure board games (Castle Ravenloft etc.). In other words, simple. Except I don't think Dungeon Command will wear out its welcome so quickly as Wrath of Ashardalon did for me.

• Options
    I got Quarriors for my Birthday!

Twice!

How my Mother In Law manages to fuck up Amazon lists is a mystery but she does it every year.

Looking forward to giving it a whirl.

The expansions improve it by quite a bit, I think. The other thing is that games can be over fast if you stick to the glory points winning marks. If you've got less than four players it's best to bump up to the points required to win to the number of players one above what you've got.

• Options
    BobCesca wrote: »

7 Wonders really was a lot of fun, and so easy to pick up and play fairly quickly (IIRC we played two games of that). I know people bitch about it, but I still really like Quarriors, and I really hope I have a job soon so I can get some expansions for Dominion. Eclipse was a bit complicated at first, but I think we were getting the hang of it by the end and I'd quite like to have another game of that at some point.

Really looking forward to next Boardgames day :)

I have told the missus she can play 7 Wonders. I will give her a practice go with the two player variant beforehand. She will enjoy it, or else.

• Options
    Leviathans looks interesting..but how does it not include any fighters!?

• Options
    poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    GAME DAY!

Played the LOTR LCG, Blood Bowl Team Manager, Cyclades and Descent 2E.

The only one I lost was the third game of Descent. My home life is really stressful right now, so it was weird noticing the juxtaposition between RL and game life.

I was the Overlord for all three games of Descent, and I enjoyed it a lot, although the Fat Goblin quest really has an oddly big difference in balance and importance between the two parts of it, which affects how you manage resources over the two.

Really wanted to play BSG but no time.

So, Descent 2E - two ettin thumbs up.

I figure I could take a bear.
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Descent does look neat and with the add on to Cadwallon I might get it as well
    after looking at the rule book for Netrunner I am going to get it but out of the gate is really the question

One of the current problems about X wing is my brother does have a interest in it but I am the only one with a job and msot of my money gets eaten up in bills

• Options
    @BobCesca I think @Japan may have been diddled out of some points in the second game of 7 Wonders. The VP for science buildings (green cards) is cumulative for groups of a kind and three different ones (i.e. the same card can be used to score twice), so he likely would have scored a fair few more points.

Still, too late now. I won hahaha.

• Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    I have told the missus she can play 7 Wonders. I will give her a practice go with the two player variant beforehand. She will enjoy it, or else.
    Oof. She may not. There's a reason that the rules call out the two-player version as "advanced" and recommend that both players be familiar with the regular game first.

jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    I just picked up Lords of Waterdeep. I read the rules online and got pretty excited. Looks like Dungeon Lords + Le Havre meets D&D universe!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
      Zombicide showed up finally and it's totally sweet.

Keep plugging away at Descent 2nd Ed but... meh. It's certainly cleaned up but something's off about it.

• Options
      NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
      Magic Pink wrote: »
      Zombicide showed up finally and it's totally sweet.

Keep plugging away at Descent 2nd Ed but... meh. It's certainly cleaned up but something's off about it.

Do tell. I'm this close to getting Descent 2.0 at Gencon and would love to hear your thought before I go.

• Options
      Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
      Hmmm, well, I guess they've simplified a little too much for me to start with. The decks for various random results, like the Search deck and the Travel deck are woefully small. The Overlord is just boring to play as now as you only spend your XP on extra cards for your deck; none of which are very interesting. There's no feeling of advancement for him. The Overlord can also use any monster he wants in most of the missions but to do that they had to balance them quite a bit and they all end up feeling kind of samey. There's no real treasures anymore; you just have a shop deck you use between adventures that heroes MAY be able to buy from but that's only if you're using the campaign rules. If you aren't using campaign rules there's literally no advancement for anyone at all. No new equipment, skills, anything.

Haven't played the heroes yet but the complaints from my group are that's it's just too hard for them to win but that seems like a good thing to me.

• Options
      Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
      JonBob wrote: »
      Oof. She may not. There's a reason that the rules call out the two-player version as "advanced" and recommend that both players be familiar with the regular game first.

I really enjoyed 7 Wonders the first time I broke it out. It was my wife and I and another couple which felt like a good balance for number of people.
      I'd recommend trying to get a group of 4 if you can to try it first. I haven't tried the 2p variant yet, but I would think at least playing first normally to get a feel for how neighbors play together would be a huge help.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    • Options
      GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
      I've been playing 7 wonders quite a lot recently. It has sort of taken the "lets introduce people to board games" slot in my collection. The 2 player variant isn't difficult, really, but requires a number of extra decisions by each player every age. More importantly, the experienced player would be able -obliged, really- to get a truly prohibitive advantage over the newbie (in regards to burying cards, building, military, and so on). It... It might not lead to loud calls for a second game from your partner, is what I'm saying.

• Options
      ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
      edited August 2012
      FFG Article on Squad Building for X-wing

They have 4 sample 100 point lists in the article. 2 Imperial Lists and 2 Rebel Lists. Looks like a lot of diversity.

ObiFett on
    • Options
      alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
      Sooo.. I got home today and a new boardgame was waiting!!

photobucket-15058-1344888277141.jpg

• Options
      ObiFett wrote: »

Excellent. I figured I would probably only need 1 more X-Wing and 1 Y-Wing.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
      Another game night passed. We played Boomtown and Cyclades. Boomtown was alright, even if we played the game wrong for the first half. Not a favourite, and it's a little dull once you stop making gut decisions and try to actually count up your moves. Still, it wasn't bad.

Followed that up with another game of Cyclades. I really quite like the game, but it's becoming clear to me now that I have the wrong group for it to shine. One of the players noted that while he enjoyed himself well enough he felt that nothing much happens at first, and then it is over very suddenly. Which seemed somewhat ironic to me, because the reason why nothing much happened during the first half was due to the fact that nobody attacked anybody else, and nobody outbid anybody intentionally for the first 4-5 rounds. As another player put it, they all prefer to play games where they can quietly build up stuff, leave others alone and be left alone until they eventually win the game with some mundane move that puts them over the finish line. Or in other words: they're euro-gamers.

I'm not really sure what to do now. Other than accept that our weekly boardgame night will continue to carry a strong undercurrent of boredom for me.

• Options
      ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
      alqadim wrote: »

I wasn't aware that had come out. I saw notes for it a year ago, but was quite sure it wasn't my thing, although it was a very pretty game (something is wrong with you as a person if you do not like steam battleships fighting in the sky).

• Options
      NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
      Boredom because you don't like eurogames?

• Options
      Joe DizzyJoe Dizzy taking the day offRegistered User regular
      edited August 2012
      Boredom because you don't like eurogames?

Boredom because most of the group tends to play games very quietly, non-aggressively and has some difficulty being playfully confrontative in a boardgame.

That's also why games like Cosmic Encounter and Wiz-War often seem to fizzle with them.

Joe Dizzy on
    • Options
      I really just want Customization of X-Wing + Advanced Rules of Wings of Glory (I'm sad that X-Wing has no altitude rules) + Added Large-scale Ships from Leviathans. That would be fantastic. Big capital ships with squads of fighters and bombers duking it out in between them.

Soo..basically BSG, I guess.

Is that too much to ask?

• Options
      alqadimalqadim Registered User regular
      alqadim wrote: »

I wasn't aware that had come out. I saw notes for it a year ago, but was quite sure it wasn't my thing, although it was a very pretty game (something is wrong with you as a person if you do not like steam battleships fighting in the sky).

IT comes out on the 22nd. I had pre-ordered it quite a while ago so I was very happy to see mine a bit early! This just got added to this weekends game-a-palooza

• Options
      PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
      I really just want Customization of X-Wing + Advanced Rules of Wings of Glory (I'm sad that X-Wing has no altitude rules) + Added Large-scale Ships from Leviathans. That would be fantastic. Big capital ships with squads of fighters and bombers duking it out in between them.

Is that too much to ask?

I think that the problem with capital ships in X-Wing is scale. Since some of them would take up most of the table, if they were trying to keep it close.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they had some other way to depict them in the cards. Maybe some upgrades that aren't tied to a specific ship, and give you some capital ship firepower?

persona4celestia.jpg
      COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
    • Options
      PMAvers wrote: »

Is that too much to ask?

I think that the problem with capital ships in X-Wing is scale. Since some of them would take up most of the table, if they were trying to keep it close.

Although I wouldn't be surprised if they had some other way to depict them in the cards. Maybe some upgrades that aren't tied to a specific ship, and give you some capital ship firepower?

One of the designers was quoted that a Star Destroyer at X-Wing scale would be 12ft long. So, yeah, I can totally understand why they aren't there. I was more shocked when fighters/bombers weren't in Leviathans.

I mean, I understand it would up the unit count, but on a hex board, at that scale, it isn't like they need a fully detailed movement system like Wings of Glory or X-Wing.

Just strikes me as odd that the only game to go this route is Battleship Galaxies. I just want something a liiiittle meatier.