As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Phall]ympic Games! - Cheater Victory!

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Yes, lets Day 1 someone for speculating on game mechanics and gathering their team together.

awesome

I'm going to go with my old standby grudge: Alegis

• Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    ObiFett because I am a reverse hipster.

• Options
    Reminder

If your team name ends with a "d", please contact me. We have a proboard and are on our way to getting that power.

Infiltrators beware: I've already had some people who were clearly taking a shot in the dark and thought they knew what my team would be, those people are now on my shortlist.

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Yes, lets Day 1 someone for speculating on game mechanics and gathering their team together.

awesome

I'm going to go with my old standby grudge: Alegis

Get it out of your system, Obifett.

I called you a prick on some proboards a few months ago because you were being one.

• Options
    Plus, I am thinking there are 5 teams. Because with 40 people the only factors are 4,5,8,10. 4 teams of 10 is too much for anyone to get their team power. 5 teams of 8 is a little more difficult but at least somewhat manageable. Pretty sure there aren't 8 or 10 teams, that would just be too many factions and no enough mafia to infiltrate all of them.

Possible team list:
    B:L
    Gumpy
    Infidel
    Space Marine Avatar???
    My Team

Haven't seen any actual evidence suggesting there are more than this.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Bonus powers are good for the village.

So don't go around infiltrating other teams because you think you're too cool for school.

I highly doubt most teams are going to get all 10 (8?) people because, you know, inactives and such, but we shouldn't be hampering each other at this early stage.

Except there is no common village. You would know that if you read the villager PM. Since you clearly didn't, you're obviously a cheater MrT[/color

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »
    Hey guys.

Bonus powers are good for the village.

So don't go around infiltrating other teams because you think you're too cool for school.

I highly doubt most teams are going to get all 10 (8?) people because, you know, inactives and such, but we shouldn't be hampering each other at this early stage.

Except there is no common village. You would know that if you read the villager PM. Since you clearly didn't, you're obviously a cheater MrT
    Then why does the OP say:
    Villager Role PM
    It may well be a faction game, but everybody has to take care of the mafia. Ergo, the factions are a village in a sense.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Plus, I am thinking there are 5 teams. Because with 40 people the only factors are 4,5,8,10. 4 teams of 10 is too much for anyone to get their team power. 5 teams of 8 is a little more difficult but at least somewhat manageable. Pretty sure there aren't 8 or 10 teams, that would just be too many factions and no enough mafia to infiltrate all of them.

Possible team list:
    Gumpy
    Infidel
    Space Marine Avatar???
    My Team

COR TWENTY PERCENT, THE GOLD STANDARD OF MAFIA %, WOULD BE 8 AS WELL ME MATE

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    No, the mafia is a separate faction. And the not-mafias are factions.

• Options
    hm

8 mafia would fit better in a 4 team game at 2 mafia per team

8 mafia fit awkwardly into 5 teams.

Are there usually more or less mafia in faction games like this?

• Options
    Alegis wrote: »

THE MAFIA BE A FACTION THAT INFILTRATES OTHER FACTIONS
    Victory Condition: At the end of the closing ceremonies, your team must lead in the medal count. Your team will receive 3 points for every gold, 2 points for every silver and 1 point for every bronze medal. Be aware that cheaters are in it only for themselves. Any medal earned by a cheater will be counted towards the cheaters, not towards their team.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options

[/quote]

Yes. that's standard in faction game (otherwise you could easily filter mafia by comparing team lists).

One of burnage's games even had mafia within mafia within factions within somethingelseIlosttrack

• Options
    hm

Not just a faction game, but also a 'get medals' game rather than elimination. That's a big factor.

• Options
    PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    There was a mafia and then two other, super secret mafias I think.

Also, the mafia actually don't necessarily have to be dealt with. We just have to make sure they're not on top... sort of like every other team. The game ends after a fixed number of days and whichever team is on top, wins. The mafia are simply in a better position to win due to being able to cut down winning teams due to infiltration

• Options

Yes. that's standard in faction game (otherwise you could easily filter mafia by comparing team lists).

One of burnage's games even had mafia within mafia within factions within somethingelseIlosttrack[/quote]

BLOIMEY I THINK WE'RE TALKING PAST EACH OTHER NEVERMIND

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    hm

Not just a faction game, but also a 'get medals' game rather than elimination. That's a big factor.

hm, no offense Saber, but I am realizing that this is a borderline phalla. We don't need to eliminate the mafia to win. I don't see the uninformed majority v the informed minority.

Because of that, I have no idea what a balanced number of mafia would be and am tired of trying to figure it out. I assume we will get a better idea of everything in play after day 1 narration and results.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    There's almost certainly way fewer cheaters than usual mafia. Even if the village did have to eliminate the mafia to win, the rivalness of the game gives an advantage to the mafia, meaning their numbers would have to be lower.

Of course, there's the possibility that cheaters don't know other cheaters, and they are more like neutrals than anything else.

• Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    Hrm.... Don't feel like rekindling that discussion.

Instead, Langly shall feed the eternal Phallaympic flame!

"Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    hm

hm, no offense Saber, but I am realizing that this is a borderline phalla. We don't need to eliminate the mafia to win. I don't see the uninformed majority v the informed minority.

Because of that, I have no idea what a balanced number of mafia would be and am tired of trying to figure it out. I assume we will get a better idea of everything in play after day 1 narration and results.

It sorta fits with uninformed majority vs informed minority, it's just in this case the uninformed majority is also competing with itself.
    It's still in every teams best interest to deal with the mafia/cheaters first. It doesn't matter how much it looks like your team is winning if at the end it turns out half your medals go towards the cheaters faction instead.

• Options
    RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Eh what? Why would the mafia be more like neutrals? That would just this make more of a faction game, I think that we got a village PM means they are more than that. This is more like Popephalla.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    Well, I wouldn't make so many assumptions yet. If I understand things properly after a few nights we should be able to hazard a guess at the % of mafia based on medal count presuming mafia medals are kept separate from the teams. For the time being we should probably play by normal phalla logic, mafia = bad, if they win, we lose. First things first inactives are going to be crippling ALL teams this game, please be active people, any village team with powers is bad for the mafia, so while it may not benefit you individually to help another team, overall the village is better. If everyone goes by this logic then the all village members will benefit.

I might make the suggestion that each team nominate a mouth piece for their board. This should allow us to facilitate information, further there are already a few people that have declared their teams so its not like they are giving up more information. If we focus too much on team versus team stuff it'll make it easier on the mafia. Therefore as a village we should strive to keep things as balanced as possible, atleast for the first few days.

• Options
    BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    What is the order of events, especially in regards to team proboards count and deaths.

• Options
    AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    Meh, no one on my team has contacted me.

Bad space marines.

I'm tired and probably won't check in the rest of the day due to real life game day until almost vote close. So, here's my vote on Vagrant Winds for outing me in the last mini in case I don't make it at all.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular

Possible team list:
    Gumpy
    Infidel
    Space Marine Avatar???
    My Team

kaplar,lawinator or precisionk are likely spacemarine guy

• Options
    since I can't edit, PrecisionK seems like the obvious choice. But it seems odd that people would be aware of him.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Blasphemy against the God-emperor?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    We must gird ourselves with the Armor of Contempt.

• Options
    The DagonThe Dagon Registered User regular
    Oh damn, I almost missed logging on this entire weekend.

I'm here now, so team [REDACTED] will be sure to win all the golds.

Steam ID : TheDagon
    PSN : TheDagon
    Pretty much every game ever : TheDagon
  • Options
    CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    You know who needs a vote?

Retaba needs a vote. Because he's slowly turning into my mortal enemy. He's the SLyM to my Taya. Or the other way around maybe? :P

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • Options
    What have I done to wrong you so? Tell me that I may continue doing it.

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    What is the order of events, especially in regards to team proboards count and deaths.

Proboards will be assessed before the vote or any other kills are taken into effect. All other effects will occur simultaneously.

• Options
    There's almost certainly way fewer cheaters than usual mafia. Even if the village did have to eliminate the mafia to win, the rivalness of the game gives an advantage to the mafia, meaning their numbers would have to be lower.

Of course, there's the possibility that cheaters don't know other cheaters, and they are more like neutrals than anything else.

That would be a tad unfair, although if I recall correctly jdark's l4dead game did that (I think it was l4dead). 8 max. 7 and 6 are also possible, even though there would be uneven distributions among teams. Ahava rng'd this in her faction game (which teams got mafiosos), but I believe she did it in such a way where a team could be completely clean and another could be infiltrate to high hell. It turned out to turn out that most ended up with only 1 and only one other ended up with two (I believe).

• Options
    Egos wrote: »

That would be a tad unfair, although if I recall correctly jdark's l4dead game did that (I think it was l4dead). 8 max. 7 and 6 are also possible, even though there would be uneven distributions among teams. Ahava rng'd this in her faction game (which teams got mafiosos), but I believe she did it in such a way where a team could be completely clean and another could be infiltrate to high hell. It turned out to turn out that most ended up with only 1 and only one other ended up with two (I believe).

It would also be unfair to have basically 5 equally sized factions (the case where there are 8 mafia and 4 groups of 10), the only difference being that one of the factions is masoned.

• Options
    Universal Unmasoned Mafia are a bad idea regardless :|

• Options
    "hey ,pssttt are you on Team Evil?"

• Options
    First close is in... 6.5 hours?

• Options
    SaberOverEasySaberOverEasy Info Broker Registered User regular
    First close is in... 6.5 hours?

That is correct.

• Options
    Egos wrote: »
    Universal Unmasoned Mafia are a bad idea regardless :|

Agreed, but I think that's the one of the few alternatives to my other explanation, which was that they are much less numerous than in a typical game.