As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Flappy Paddle is the one true shifter. [Car] Thread.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    Miatas have pretty good weight distribution. Close to 50/50 for most models. That is not nearly as bad as most pickups. Which great for basically everything that is not driving on snow or ice or greasy roads with a bit of rain on them.

Why not just get a slightly sporty hatchback, or whatever? They go alright in snow, unless winter is bad enough you end up using the splitter/ground effects as a snowplow.

They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I'm looking into getting a BRZ. I'm at the point where I need a new car, my 92' Buick Riviera has been on its last legs for a few years at this point. Also I just got a new job and have a relatively low amount of monthly bills/living expenses so I figure why not.

I've never actually bought a car before though, so I need to figure that shit all out.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    redx wrote: »
    Miatas have pretty good weight distribution. Close to 50/50 for most models. That is not nearly as bad as most pickups. Which great for basically everything that is not driving on snow or ice or greasy roads with a bit of rain on them.

Why not just get a slightly sporty hatchback, or whatever? They go alright in snow, unless winter is bad enough you end up using the splitter/ground effects as a snowplow.

Why? Because the last one I had got stolen. I don't want anything that will attract the wrong sort of people. No Hondas and no Acuras.

Our winters over here are fairly mild, so I'm not too concerned about snow. I will, however, need this car to get me to work; which is about 60 miles away.

Slider on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    In that case, get a Camry and be happy. :bz

• AimAim Registered User regular
    Slider don't you live in Seattle? Unless you want to go up the mountains, any car + a set of chain for the three days in January when we might get snow will do.
    (love my subie, but I do love skiing)

• jimb213jimb213 Registered User regular
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I'm looking into getting a BRZ. I'm at the point where I need a new car, my 92' Buick Riviera has been on its last legs for a few years at this point. Also I just got a new job and have a relatively low amount of monthly bills/living expenses so I figure why not.

I've never actually bought a car before though, so I need to figure that shit all out.

The BRZ is an awesome little car. I need to see if I can go test drive one at some point... Having said that, it's not a very practical car. If you use your car for... stuff... and not just driving yourself around, you'll probably be limited by the BRZ (this is true for any little sport coupe though). Of course if you're getting it as a 2nd car and have a sedan/hatchback/SUV in addition, the practicality doesn't really matter.

I would say do a ton of test driving of everything in that same price range, even if it isn't really what you're looking for. Volkswagen GTI, Mazda3 (and MazdaSpeed3!), V6 Mustang, Ford Focus ST, maybe even a certified used luxury car like a BMW 3-series or Infiniti G35/37.

Coming from an old-school Buick like you are, a straight up sports car will be a lot rougher ride than you're used to, so you should definitely make sure you'll be happy with it before taking a $25,000 plunge.

Or, for the $25k, get an Acura NSX. Don't puss out. Go big league.

• MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    So I've been meaning to post these for a little bit. I see this gold Skyline around Boston quite often but I don't know if it's a real Skyline or a kit car or body kit of some kind. I don't know enough about them to recognize a real one from a fake.
    335009_698448282203_732870133_o.jpg
    259682_698448312143_1157449622_o.jpg

Those are the last two pictures of it I got when the guy was stopped at a red light.

Michelanvalo on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    Ehh? That looks like an Infiniti, no?

• emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Thats just a G35 with a stupid wing and a Skyline badge. My boss had a black G35 with the Skyline badge on it too.

• KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    Do a GIS on a Skyline GTR. They look nothing like that. I will sat they are a lot bigger in person than what they look like in pictures though.

Well the US G35 was just a rebadged Skyline.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    Well the US G35 was just a rebadged Skyline.

This.

Infiniti, like Acura, does not exist in Japan. At least, they didn't use to. I don't know if that has changed or not. I know Toyota started selling actual Lexus branded cars a few years ago.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • MegaPureiboiMegaPureiboi Registered User regular
    There is a black G35 with Skyline badge that's usually parked a few blocks up the street from me.

Xbox Live: Keml0
    Steam: Kemlo
    edited August 2012
    After looking up some pictures of the Skyline V35 and the Infiniti G35, yeah they're the same car with different badges.

So this kid bought a G35, painted it gold and slapped some Nissan and Skyline badges on it.

Edit: And a giant wing and some stickers. Can't forget the stickers.

Michelanvalo on
    After looking up some pictures of the Skyline V35 and the Infiniti G35, yeah they're the same car with different badges.

So this kid bought a G35, painted it gold and slapped some Nissan and Skyline badges on it.

People have been doing the same with Hondas for years.

A few days ago, I tailed one of these on my bike for about 20 miles until I pulled off to go home:

Wald+Bentley+GT+4.jpg

How bout this M3?

That has a fuckton of miles and was probably beat on. Pass.

• acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular

hey now, Honda fans at least haven't been guilty of badge swapping for the most part.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Apparently the GTI really favors the rear brakes over the front.

FI1WJ.jpg

vs.

QyuX6.jpg

nibXTE7.png

hey now, Honda fans at least haven't been guilty of badge swapping for the most part.

When ricing out your car was the latest thing, I cannot tell you how many Civics suddenly became Acura Type R's around here.

• matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

When ricing out your car was the latest thing, I cannot tell you how many Civics suddenly became Acura Type R's around here.

Eh, people have been slapping "5.0" badges on Mustangs since the Fox body came out.

nibXTE7.png

Eh, people have been slapping "5.0" badges on Mustangs since the Fox body came out.

It's one thing to add/change the badge (+50 HP), but it's another to change the make (more or less).

There's a badge out there for the Genesis Coupe that makes it look like a Bentley.

• Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    There's a badge out there for the Genesis Coupe that makes it look like a Bentley.
    That's just the old badge that was on the 4 door I think.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular

This.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Are the sliders on your rear caliper stuck? You shouldn't have that much uneven wear between pads on the same caliper.

edit: nevermind, that's a new pad

SiliconStew on
    Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.

Are the sliders on your rear caliper stuck? You shouldn't have that much uneven wear between pads on the same caliper.

No, that's the old/new pad comparison. All 4 pads in the back wore evenly, they just wore a lot more than the front 4 pads.

nibXTE7.png

Yes I know.

Still makes it look like a Bentley though.

• MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Slider wrote: »
    How bout this M3?

I think you need to start looking at cars you could afford to keep running.

edited August 2012

I usually see people throwing Honda badges on their Integras. Ive seen a couple of people throwing Silvia badges on their 240s and then some people throwing Skyline badges on their G35. Badges gunna swap.

emp123 on
  • TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »

I usually see people throwing Honda badges on their Integras. Ive seen a couple of people throwing Silvia badges on their 240s and then some people throwing Skyline badges on their G35. Badges gunna swap.

Yeah, although I think everyone I ever knew with a silvia badge on their 240 at least had an SR swap. Same goes for most of the people I knew with Type R badges and b16 swaps. Throwing a skyline badge on a 350z/G35 is too easy.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
    Slider wrote: »
    How bout this M3?

I think you need to start looking at cars you could afford to keep running.

Probably, but it's fun to look.

• saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    So my fiance's Datsun 280ZX is finally nearing the end of its life and while she loves the thing I really want to get her something slightly more modern and reliable and not sink any more money into that rust bucket. We've decided the Miata is where it's at. I've seen a few '99-'00 NBs on craigslist for around $4-5k with 80-150k miles. They seem like pretty reliable cars but is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I go to see them?

XBL: heavenkils
  • iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    saltiness wrote: »
    So my fiance's Datsun 280ZX is finally nearing the end of its life and while she loves the thing I really want to get her something slightly more modern and reliable and not sink any more money into that rust bucket. We've decided the Miata is where it's at. I've seen a few '99-'00 NBs on craigslist for around $4-5k with 80-150k miles. They seem like pretty reliable cars but is there anything in particular I should be looking for when I go to see them?

Be sure to check the battery tray for signs of rust (it's in the trunk). I'd try and see if you can get a 01 or newer though. Engine slightly updated, interior slightly updated, and the like. Check out miata.net, should have most anything you should need.

• webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    So next year once I get my tax returns backI'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a Mazda3 Skyactive. Love the way it drives for the price and the fuel economy has a hard time being beat. I have a 25 mile commute each way and I currently drive an '89 cherokee, 16mpg on good days, so yea. Any other cars I should check out? I was thinking Kia Forte Hatch and possibly Ford Focus/Fiesta Hatch.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    No brz's available till like Dec or even Jan here. Going for a scion frs, I can get a better deal on one anyways.

webguy20 wrote: »
    So next year once I get my tax returns backI'm pretty sure I'm going to pick up a Mazda3 Skyactive. Love the way it drives for the price and the fuel economy has a hard time being beat. I have a 25 mile commute each way and I currently drive an '89 cherokee, 16mpg on good days, so yea. Any other cars I should check out? I was thinking Kia Forte Hatch and possibly Ford Focus/Fiesta Hatch.

I would definitely check out the Focus hatch, maybe the Honda Fit too. I liked the Fit and Im not 100% sure why I went with the Civic over it (if I were buying a car today, I wouldnt take the 2012 Civic over the Fit since I think its ugly now). Maybe it was the small wheels thing? I dunno, but Id give that a look too anyway.