As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Why isn't there a Justice League thread?

TerrorbyteTerrorbyte __BANNED USERS regular
edited September 2007 in Graphic Violence
Huge honkin' spoilers to the new Justice League of America line-up: Turner variant of Justice League of America #1

Looks like an awesome team, save for one questionable member.

Terrorbyte on

• Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Which would be...

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Which would be...

[spoiler:7c3e319271]I don't think Roy really works in this team. I'd rather see Connor in his place. Or Martian Manhunter on the team more than either of them, but Meltzer admitted that he just didn't feel like he could do justice (pun intended) to the character.[/spoiler:7c3e319271]

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2006
    Is that Black Lightning?

And they match the silhouettes on #2's cover (except Black Canary doesn't have that retarded pony tail on this one).

also: michael turner D:

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Yeah, Michael Turner is total ass. I hope it isn't too hard to find a non-Turner variant for every cover he does.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Which would be...

Superman's cheekbones? Seriously though, looks like a good lineup. [spoiler:f1d067c105]Kind of cool to see Black Lightning on the team. I always liked his powers, but his name still has such shades of silliness to it. I'm kind of sad to see Black Canary on the team though, since it means she'll likely leave BoP. I'm kind of comforted to see none of my favorites on the team besides Tornado, since it means Meltzer won't be abusing anyone that can't come back from it. Hopefully some of the old YJ stuff will be referenced with Tornado.[/spoiler:f1d067c105]

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited August 2006
    I wish they'd just up and copy JLU and use pretty much everyone at random times.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I think Roy is fine for the team. He tried to make a point at the end of his Outsiders tenure that he was this take no prisoners badass, yet failed to do so, with Grace (I think) saying that through and through, he was just a big hero like Supes and the gang. It will be especially good if they keep him more like Ollie, and less like a gun toting idiot.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    It'll be nice to read a book with Reddy again, seeing as how I haven't seen him since YJ.

Definantly like the line-up, though I'm sad for the lack of Flash, but seeing as how it's Bart, I understand.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    From what I remember reading, this isn't the final line-up. Someone leaves and then something like two others join or some silly business. It should be 11 members once the dust settles.

[spoiler:3ad6c68dae]If Manhunter #25 is any indication, Manhunter might be getting the call up. And I believe Meltzer mentioned that a Flash will eventually be in the line-up.[/spoiler:3ad6c68dae]

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    JordynJordyn Really, Commander? Probing Uranus. Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    J'onn had better fucking show up. He's been in every goddamn league so far.

Including the ill-concieved and doomed to fail League of Nations.

Don't ask me what I meant by that. I don't know.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
    JordynNolz.com <- All my blogs (Shepard, Wasted, J'onn, DCAU) are here now!
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Jordyn wrote:

This made me picture J'onn standing in front of the U.N. assembly, pushing over Kofi Anan, then begging everyone for aid money to buy more Oreos.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Jordyn wrote:

This made me picture J'onn standing in front of the U.N. assembly, pushing over Kofi Anan, then begging everyone for aid money to buy more Oreos.

Chocos! Also, everyone would just think he's a Skrull with the new makeover.

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Sars_Boy wrote:
    It'll be nice to read a book with Reddy again, seeing as how I haven't seen him since YJ.

Definantly like the line-up, though I'm sad for the lack of Flash, but seeing as how it's Bart, I understand.

Flash will definitely be in it, once Bart fucking accepts the fact that he's the Flash instead of saying he wants a normal life.

They need to bring back his thought bubbles.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Munch wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Which would be...

Superman's cheekbones? Seriously though, looks like a good lineup. [spoiler:affcfa05bf]Kind of cool to see Black Lightning on the team. I always liked his powers, but his name still has such shades of silliness to it. I'm kind of sad to see Black Canary on the team though, since it means she'll likely leave BoP. I'm kind of comforted to see none of my favorites on the team besides Tornado, since it means Meltzer won't be abusing anyone that can't come back from it. Hopefully some of the old YJ stuff will be referenced with Tornado.[/spoiler:affcfa05bf]

[spoiler:affcfa05bf] I liked Mr. Terrific's and Black Lightning's little talk in IC#6.
    Mr.T: You actully call yourself Black Lightning?
    BL: This from a guy who goes around calling himself Mr. Terrific. Beside back then I was the only one of us working and I had to let people know who they were dealing with.[/spoiler:affcfa05bf]

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Bloods End wrote:
    Munch wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Terrorbyte wrote:

Which would be...

Superman's cheekbones? Seriously though, looks like a good lineup. [spoiler:eb316b8203]Kind of cool to see Black Lightning on the team. I always liked his powers, but his name still has such shades of silliness to it. I'm kind of sad to see Black Canary on the team though, since it means she'll likely leave BoP. I'm kind of comforted to see none of my favorites on the team besides Tornado, since it means Meltzer won't be abusing anyone that can't come back from it. Hopefully some of the old YJ stuff will be referenced with Tornado.[/spoiler:eb316b8203]

[spoiler:eb316b8203] I liked Mr. Terrific's and Black Lightning's little talk in IC#6.
    Mr.T: You actully call yourself Black Lightning?
    BL: This from a guy who goes around calling himself Mr. Terrific. Beside back then I was the only one of us working and I had to let people know who they were dealing with.[/spoiler:eb316b8203]

Actually, it was more of

[spoiler:eb316b8203]Mr. Terrific: You actually call yourself Black Lightning?
    BL: Back when I started, I was the only one of us around. I had to let people know who they were dealing with. I assume that's why you've got your name stitched on the back of your jacket.
    Mr. Terrific: *smiles* That's exactly why.[/spoiler:eb316b8203]

(I read that issue today, just because I wanted to look for cameos)

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I can't believe I made a League of Nations joke.

Pretty soon, I'm gonna be all "So what's the deal with Tippacanoe? Is he really that fond of Tyler? Hahahaha."

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited August 2006
    I so totally called the Roy thing.

Whippy on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I liked in that #0 issue where they were fighting over Red Tornado dying.

It was reminiscent of a time when someone didn't pop in to explain that he's actually a wind elemental in a robot body everytime he blows up.

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Jordyn wrote:

It was reminiscent of a time when someone didn't pop in to explain that he's actually a wind elemental in a robot body everytime he blows up.

And of the time a character didn't die every other massive event anyway.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    radical_mutationsradical_mutations Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Jordyn wrote:

Actually, its quite believable. Only he'd be fighting Nazis, and the Communists, frequently lapsing into emo soliloquies on how naive Chamberlain was.

The highlight of the series would be Churchill and Stalin are forced to join forces when a horder of Nazi-ninja-zombie-robots together. Attacks them at the Teheran Coference.

radical_mutations on
    HAHhahhaHAHAHhahHAHHAhHhaahHAHAAHHhHAhaaHAA... Wait-a-minute... That's not funny!
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Jordyn wrote:

There was a time like this?

The oldest DC book I have is COIE, where they introduced the whole wind elemental thing...after he blows up.

Furu on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    I wish they'd just up and copy JLU and use pretty much everyone at random times.

yes

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Well, I personally think that was a damn good issue. Brad Meltzer is great at conveying emotions.

And, I have to double check, but was that a Young Justice reference that slipped past Dan Didio?

[spoiler:cf4ae41193]When Deadman says he can still do somersaults when possessing a chubby kid in the suburbs. Deadboy, or whatever the young version called himself, possessed a fat bully in Sins of Youth.

Although, I don't know, since it wasn't really Deadman. Which upsets me, because I love me some Deadman.[/spoiler:cf4ae41193]

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Terrorbyte wrote:
    From what I remember reading, this isn't the final line-up. Someone leaves and then something like two others join or some silly business. It should be 11 members once the dust settles.

[spoiler:ead2ca58cd]If Manhunter #25 is any indication, Manhunter might be getting the call up. And I believe Meltzer mentioned that a Flash will eventually be in the line-up.[/spoiler:ead2ca58cd]

[spoiler:ead2ca58cd]I took the ending to Manhunter to mean that Wonder Woman needed an attorney for the murder of Maxwell Lord. Though it would be cool to see her in the League, I'm all for bringing new people who have never been part of the team into the fold. Like Roy.

I think #11 is going to be The Flash or Firestorm. I like the line-up so far.[/spoiler:ead2ca58cd]

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    I thought it was a fantastic start. The pulse-pounding closing pages were masterfully done. Regarding the body on the slab...

[spoiler:9011981488]Green eyes? Bald? Hmm. Sounds like that Lex Luthor corpse in 52.[/spoiler:9011981488]

Terrorbyte on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Wait... Buddy's still not home?

fuckfuckfuck

I hope he makes it through 52 OK.

Please Buddy, you've got to come back, we need you!

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    bobgorila wrote:

fuckfuckfuck

They said they were going to keep all the 52 main characters out of the books until it was over. So something happened to him, as well as Steel, Question, Montoya, Ralph, etc. that's keeping them out of OYL.

Lux on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Lux wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:

fuckfuckfuck

They said they were going to keep all the 52 main characters out of the books until it was over. So something happened to him, as well as Steel, Question, Montoya, Ralph, etc. that's keeping them out of OYL.

I know, I just really want Animal Man to be OK.

I also really want Morrison to break the 4th wall with him some more in 52, but that's by the by.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    [spoiler:195727d08e]So, I bet Red Tornado really dies at some point and then everyone is actually sad for a while because this time it's FOR REALS I SWEAR but then I bet he actually comes back somehow.[/spoiler:195727d08e]

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    [spoiler:a4802323d4]I bet Red Tornado accidentally comes back to life before he dies, this time. You'll be on the edge of your seat as pre- and post- revival Red Tornado fight over who gets to wear the monogrammed slippers.[/spoiler:a4802323d4]

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    [spoiler:1cd14727cd]"Go get 'em, Roy."[/spoiler:1cd14727cd]

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    [spoiler:f67d4fb755]"Go get 'em, Roy."[/spoiler:f67d4fb755]
    That was my favorite part of the book. I don't know why..but it was awesome. I even wrote that as my "moment of the book" in my shitty review.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    RocielRociel Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    My moment of the book would have to be [spoiler:aab85b0985]Batman INSISTING on Captain Marvel being on the team. Partly because I'm a bit of a sucker for Cap and partly because it shows that Batman respects Marvel despite insulting him last time they were in the league together[/spoiler:aab85b0985].

Rociel on
    Too big sig. 500x80 plzkthx.
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    [spoiler:36604124ad]Why wasn't Power Girl on the variant cover? Hell, she's the only one that they actually said "You're in." about. It was just implied that Hal, Dinah, and Roy are in.[/spoiler:36604124ad]

And I would like to see the John vs Hal vs Kyle fight.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    My favourite was the shot of Wonder Woman's tits.

goooooooo tits!

Jordyn on
    thumbsupguy-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    [spoiler:d21c00ef86]Why wasn't Power Girl on the variant cover? Hell, she's the only one that they actually said "You're in." about. It was just implied that Hal, Dinah, and Roy are in.[/spoiler:d21c00ef86]

[spoiler:d21c00ef86]She's not going to be in the Justice League. She's a confirmed Justice Society member. [/spoiler:d21c00ef86]

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    [spoiler:d93337fb3a]Why wasn't Power Girl on the variant cover? Hell, she's the only one that they actually said "You're in." about. It was just implied that Hal, Dinah, and Roy are in.[/spoiler:d93337fb3a]

[spoiler:d93337fb3a]She's not going to be in the Justice League. She's a confirmed Justice Society member. [/spoiler:d93337fb3a]

[spoiler:d93337fb3a]Batman still wanted to have Mr. Terrific in the JLA and as chairperson of the JSA. So Kara could still be in both.[/spoiler:d93337fb3a]

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    [spoiler:724ed612fb]Why wasn't Power Girl on the variant cover? Hell, she's the only one that they actually said "You're in." about. It was just implied that Hal, Dinah, and Roy are in.[/spoiler:724ed612fb]

[spoiler:724ed612fb]She's not going to be in the Justice League. She's a confirmed Justice Society member. [/spoiler:724ed612fb]

[spoiler:724ed612fb]Batman still wanted to have Mr. Terrific in the JLA and as chairperson of the JSA. So Kara could still be in both.[/spoiler:724ed612fb]

[spoiler:724ed612fb]Maybe she doesn't want to be in the JLA[/spoiler:724ed612fb]

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    edited August 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    [spoiler:99abb0d2cf]Why wasn't Power Girl on the variant cover? Hell, she's the only one that they actually said "You're in." about. It was just implied that Hal, Dinah, and Roy are in.[/spoiler:99abb0d2cf]

[spoiler:99abb0d2cf]She's not going to be in the Justice League. She's a confirmed Justice Society member. [/spoiler:99abb0d2cf]

[spoiler:99abb0d2cf]Batman still wanted to have Mr. Terrific in the JLA and as chairperson of the JSA. So Kara could still be in both.[/spoiler:99abb0d2cf]

[spoiler:99abb0d2cf]I think you misread that, or maybe I did. I took it as Batman was saying..

"I don't care if he's charing the JSA..we're going to get him. No I don't fucking care Diana. Even if we have to put him into a burlap sack and drag him here..he's going to be..No shut up Clark..he's going to be on this team. No Im tired of talking about Carter..that bitch helped mind wipe my ass..we're talking about the black..yes I know we have the quota filled already with Black Lightning and Vixen..Yeah? So fucking quit then. Who cares if they were the first super team..he quits today. Bitch. Why don't you put the whole world in a bottle Kent?"[/spoiler:99abb0d2cf]

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited August 2006
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Bad Karma wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    [spoiler:707db9bcd7]Why wasn't Power Girl on the variant cover? Hell, she's the only one that they actually said "You're in." about. It was just implied that Hal, Dinah, and Roy are in.[/spoiler:707db9bcd7]

[spoiler:707db9bcd7]She's not going to be in the Justice League. She's a confirmed Justice Society member. [/spoiler:707db9bcd7]

[spoiler:707db9bcd7]Batman still wanted to have Mr. Terrific in the JLA and as chairperson of the JSA. So Kara could still be in both.[/spoiler:707db9bcd7]

[spoiler:707db9bcd7]I think you misread that, or maybe I did. I took it as Batman was saying..

"I don't care if he's charing the JSA..we're going to get him. No I don't fucking care Diana. Even if we have to put him into a burlap sack and drag him here..he's going to be..No shut up Clark..he's going to be on this team. No Im tired of talking about Carter..that bitch helped mind wipe my ass..we're talking about the black..yes I know we have the quota filled already with Black Lightning and Vixen..Yeah? So fucking quit then. Who cares if they were the first super team..he quits today. Bitch. Why don't you put the whole world in a bottle Kent?"[/spoiler:707db9bcd7]

And now we see why WayneCorp is so successful in corprate takeovers.

Bloods End on