As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Twilight Imperium] Game 5 - Round 8: Game Over!

• Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    But you placed your last thing in 2-2? >_>

EDIT: Also, weren't you supposed to make a play with a system that had a planet? Your previous play was empty system+wormhole, so doesn't that count as an empty system for the rules of play?

Well hmmm... If Iron Weasel doesn't show up within the first couple of hours I'll make our play without him.
    I think the Overmind is correct here - @Stever777 placed an Empty system, so I think his next play has to have a planet in it (if he can). I don't think a wormhole-only system counts ... but I could be wrong!

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    A world containing only a wormhole does not contain any planets, so @stever777 must re-complete his most recent placement with a system that contains a planet.

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    In other news: Current Map
    MrBody wrote: »
    Am I reading the Yin backstory right? A guy and his wife come down with psoriasis so he clones himself into an entire spacefaring species?

Space psoriasis, MrBody. Which is a lot more deadly and a lot more scarring.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Is that all it takes to get your own planet, species, and space armada? I'm gonna go roll around in some poison ivy.

Or the topless snake chicks. Either one works.

The flagship SS Psoriasis is coming for you!

MrBody on
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Fixed placement.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
    Where, stever777? WHERE?

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Sorry, same hex, 2-4.

Alrighty. @Kilnaga and @Iron Weasel, you're up next to place.

4463rwiq7r47.png
  • KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    New Data Available

Deep within the Councillor's consciousness, something pinged. The deep space resonance probes that the Overmind had deployed were sending their readings back to the Collective. Piece by piece, the current state of the galaxy was being revealed. If it had been capable, the Councillor would have felt pleased - it craved nothing more strongly than information.

Discrepancy Detected

How strange, the Councillor might have thought were it given to musing. But of course it wasn't.

Still, there was a discrepancy: the archives indicated the presence of Trade Station in the vicinity of Probe-6227, yet it was showing nothing at all in that region of space. The Councillor quintuple-checked the results to be certain, then updated his database. Clearly things had changed.

Your data has been added to the Collective.

Place Empty System Queen's Folly at 2-3

@Orange Soda @SeGaTai

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Orange SodaOrange Soda Registered User regular
    Place Empty System at 2-10, call it Lazax Graveyard

@jdarksun and @Void Slayer are up next

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Place Tar'mann (1R, 1I) at 2-8

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    @MrBody and @BertezBertez are up next.

Your first system must be placed at 2-6 because it is the last system of the 2nd ring.

Your second system can be anywhere that you want on the outer ring!

If you place a system without planets as your first system, your second system must have a planet.

@MrBlarney - any chance we can get a map update once the Yin have placed their next two systems?

Currently Playing:
    Well, I was already planning on posting a new map this morning, hopefully it will suffice. If you need more frequent maps, just let me know.

Current Map

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Nah that's great - I understand that prepping these takes a bit of time.

Currently Playing:
    Ion Storm 2-6
    Hercalor and Tiamat 3-11

@jdarksun and @Void Slayer are up next. They placed a planet tile last time, so they can place whatever they want this time.

Currently Playing:
    Capha (3R, 0I) at 3-8

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Place Tequ'ran (2R, 0I, R) - Torkan (0R, 3I, B) at 3-6

PSN SeGaTai
    oooh, that's a nice sector.

edited August 2012
    oooh, that's a nice sector.

I'm a fan of the nice swath of empty systems cutting across the map myself. I'm going to give IW a bit to see if he'd like to supply some input for our next placement. If he isn't on by the time I get off work I'll post and we'll live with it.

Kilnaga on
    "The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
    Awesome. I was just popping in here to see if action needed to happen. I love being partnered with an active partner :-)

@Kilnaga and Councilor @Iron Weasel are next

@Kilnaga and Councilor @Iron Weasel are next

That is Overmind @Kilnaga, TYVM.

- Terence McKenna
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I like that you at'ed yourself.

GrimmyTOA on
    I just copy and pasted it from the first page of this thread from my phone. No offense meant Overmind Kilnaga :) I won't let it happen again.

PING - New Data Available

Deep within the Overmind's consciousness, something pinged. The Overmind was connected to everything, something was always pinging. This ping was flagged priority by the Councillor; more of the deep space resonance probes had sent their data back to the Mindnet. One of the probes had been destroyed. The probe had detected increased ionic activity in its sector before the transmission had been cut. The Overmind sent out an order to Cartography to attach a note to the system's file in the database: "Sector (2-6): Red Flag - System on FTL Lockout."

The loss of the probe would not be lamented; it had served its purpose.

PING - New Data Available

The incessant pinging would be enough to drive any sane being to madness and beyond, but the Overmind had long ago evolved beyond such things. Another probe, one that had been sent to search an adjacent sector, had also returned new information for the Mindnet. Sector 3-5 had contained a planet ripe for assimilation: Saudor (2R, 2I).

The Overmind sent for his Councillor. The time was close at hand, all of their preparations nearly complete. Soon the entire galaxy would be assimilated, creating one seamless perfect machine.

@stever777

- Terence McKenna
    The longer I stare at this avatar the more it grows on me.

- Terence McKenna
    edited August 2012
    Obviously, charting an asteroid field where planets reside was a large mistake.
    Nerodia was feeling a bit odd, even for having overworking himself and apparently being under direct scrutiny. He couldn't quite put his finger on it but he almost was feeling as if he may slip away. Whether in his mind or body, he wasn't sure.

His consciousness seemed to be floating above him when another intrusion occurred.

"Where do you belong?", came a strong query to his mind.

"Here, I think.", he answered, weakly.

"You may think you belong here but your mind is elsewhere.
    You may need to return for Adjustment.
    "

He looked and saw the field of asteroids that he thought he saw before.
    If he could only finish the work before it was pulled from under him.

Asteroid Field 3-4
    Named: Field of Ghosts

E - Not sure notifications are working but @caliber and @GrimmyTOA

stever777 on

• calibercaliber Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Admiral Gl'bolyp floated at attention looking out over the naval yard in construction. Idly, he wondered what he had done to be placed in such a position. A request to the Universities for a complete galactic map didn't seem like such a horrible thing to ask; quite a sensible thing to want, in fact. And yet such an innocent question had saddled him with that insufferable University Liaison Koiflo.

"Fintastic news sir!" announced Koiflo as he came barreling into the room. "Two more systems have been catalogued! I bereef we're reely close to being done!"

Turning about reluctantly, Gl'bolyp's swim bladder filled with bile and only barely did he restrain himself from throttling the young liaison. "Is that so Koiflo? Is our arrangement coming to an end so soon then?" he managed to murmur through clenched lips. "I'll shorely miss your sense of humor," he added, barely able to keep the venom that boiled within from being unleashed.

"Haha, good one Admiral sir! Now you're getting the eeling of it!" Taking the Admiral's stunned silence as excuse to leave he saluted (poorly) and swam from the chamber, leaving the Admiral alone once more.

Shaking his head, the Admiral put his fins to his face. What is happening to me? he thought fearfully. Could it be some form of infectious madness? I didn't even do that on porposie! Oh no!

Arinam (1R, 2I, B) - Meer (0R, 4I) to 3-1
    Centauri (1R, 3I) - Gral (1R, 1I, B) 3-9

caliber on
    Nerodia was not sure if he would be able to finish the charting.
    The feeling of fading was even stronger, now.

What was happening?
    Who was doing this and why?
    Was it The Collective?
    Had they already decided his fate, despite his attempts to conform?

One last planetary sector to map.
    As he entered the data into the Receptacle, a bright blueish light beamed down on him from above.
    It neither blinded nor aided him in seeing what may be the source.
    It was just all around him.
    He felt strangely at peace.

All at once, a Security Squad burst into his room, blasters at the ready and intensely probing his now barely-present consciousness.

The Creuss had already taken him through their portal, leaving only a wisp of smoke wafting through the lair and a blinking light on the Galactic Charting Device.

Bereg (3R, 1I, R) - Lirta IV (2R, 3I, G)
    3-2

edited August 2012
    New Data Available

The Councillor examined the mote of information that had just been uploaded to its consciousness. Resonance probing was nearly complete.

But this probe's report was different - it contained not only astrological data, but unusual energy readings, as well. The Councillor reviewed the scans. And again. Ran a quick diagnostic on the probe, noted the results.

There could be no doubt: the probe was functioning within accepted parameters, and the data stream was uncorrupted. A split-second energy surge had been detected on Maaluk - one that perfectly matched the fluctuations emanating from the Shaleri Anomaly.

The Creuss.

If the Councillor had been bound to the short-lived carcass of the inferior races, it might have sat back, scratched its chin and wondered aloud how such a thing was possible. But of course it didn't.

The Councillor had long ago become part of a perfect union of meat and machine: illness and frailty replaced with gleaming augmentations. Emotions supplanted by unyielding logic. Mortality overwritten by cybernetic immortality. And most importantly of all, the unbearable silence of individuality annihilated by the choir of a thousand-thousand voices speaking as one, all bent toward the same purpose: Conquest and Assimilation.

The Councillor barely even noticed the astrological update; it merely confirmed what had long ago been deduced: a great expanse separated the Naalu and the L1Z1X.

In time, the distance between 0.0.0 and Maaluk - and all distances everywhere - would be erased by the MindNet.

Your data has been added to the Collective.

Empty System (The Great Divide) at 3-3

@Orange Soda and @SeGaTai are next.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    Tie breakers are determined by Twilight Imperdium fan fiction face off.

Question on fleet supply: Are you forbidden from moving through a system that would temporarily surpass your supply limit? Like if your supply was 3 and you wanted to move 3 destroyers through a system with a cruiser; would that be illegal or does supply only apply to building and final movement destination?

Fleet Supply counts at the end of actions, so you can move ships through systems, even if it would temporarily go over your limit.

Current Map

A reminder: if there are any systems without worlds and no names at the end of map building, I will be naming them. I'll open up the floor to all teams to submit system names, even if they did not originally place the system, for suggestions. (I still get to make the final call, unless named by the original team)

4463rwiq7r47.png
    Ohh, we have a name for an Empty System that we didn't end up using. The Dreaming Dark, I really like the sound of it for a big chunk of empty vacuum.

- Terence McKenna
    Man, I did not do well in this set up.

stever777 wrote: »
    Man, I did not do well in this set up.

;>_>

- Terence McKenna
    Little clarification needed on the ground unit icons in the reserve area.

The top ones are ground forces, then below them the mech, then ones below them? Shock troops? PDS?

PDS. There's a legend bottom right of the map.