As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Creepy Stories] Thread: Masturbating With One Eye Open

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    In any other circumstance, it probably would've happened. My friends were way to superstitious to steal some widow's jewelry though, which might be the same reason why it was left behind by others.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Not trying to be Johnny Buzzkillington. I enjoyed the story.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I was a teenager, and was half sleeping. It was morning and sunny out, but I had heavy drapes that kept my room fairly dark. My eyes were still closed when suddenly there was light in my eyes. I opened them after a few seconds, but the room was still dark. So, I closed my eyes and after a few more seconds, the light is back. I open them again, but the room is still dark. I closed my eyes again, and just as I do, there is light, so I open them up right away, and see that my beside lamp is on. It is one of those touch activated ones, where you can touch and metal part of the lamp and cycle it from off, through three intensity settings, back to off. Thing is, it's on the last, brightest setting, without having cycled through the other two first. As I stare at it, it begins to blink on and off without being touched. I get up and unplug it from the wall, and it stops blinking and stays on. I stand there for several seconds, confused, and then I leave my bedroom, as I feel very uncomfortable. I go to the washroom, and when I come back, the lamp is off.

Durkhanus on
  • Options
    ArgonathArgonath Registered User regular
    I've loved this thread and feel a need to add my own bit of fun. This was a while back, I must have been 5 or 6. I had been born with cataracts that had yet to be diagnosed (Though my parents knew I was different enough to have me tested for ADD/ADHD, which I didn't have). To give some perspective, you know that smudgy glass some hotels use for shower doors? My eyesight was basically that. It was pretty terrible.

So, one Saturday morning, I woke up around...probably 8:00. The sun was coming in and, as always, my door was open to a view of the living room so the cats could come in and out as they please. (hopefully to lie down next to me. I love cats. Shut up.) My bed was situated such that I could see into the living room every morning when I woke up. Since I was all but blind, I didn't often pause to take in the view. This morning, however, was different. This morning, something was smiling at me.

On the couch in the living room, perhaps 15 feet from my door, was what I can only describe as a clown. Not the traditional scary clown that really is just a clown, no. This clown seemed different; its face pale as milk, and lips red as blood. What little hair it had was a spiked tuft of yellow atop a perfectly shaved scalp. What struck me most, however, was its eyes. These larger-than-life orbs of absolute, uncompromising black. The Dome of the Rock is essential a structure built to house a large obsidian-black rock. Islamic tradition says that this rock came from Heaven as a pure white, but turned black as it came into contact with the multitudes who came to touch it. I had a feeling that the longer those eyes stared at me, the more of myself was leaving me. I did not feel drained, I should say, nor weakened. I felt, with absolute certainty, though, that should I remain fixed where I was, I would change into something beyond imagining.

And the strangest thing, the scariest, most surreal thing of it all, was that I could see this face with absolute clarity. Remember that I was 5 or 6 years old and had never seen a clear image of anything in my short life without first pressing my face up to it. This face, though, was the realest thing. You ever play a current generation game, only to suddenly have an urge to install something like DOOM or the original Thief and be amazed at the striking difference in the graphics? It was something like that. Like playing the first installment of Half-Life, only to discover the Source Barney at the top of the elevator shaft. It was perfect. It was petrifying.

I lay there for what must have been 15 or 20 minutes, just staring at this face, refusing to look away for fear of some other, far worse interaction. Perhaps it would make the first move. Then I could react. Maybe I should see what it is. It can't be real. I'm just seeing things. But, Argonath, you're blind, you can't see things. I'll just wait here, then, thank you.

Finally, I struggle enough courage out of the very marrow of my bones to pull the bed covers of me. Nothing changed. I shifted forward a bit closer to the foot of the bed, keeping my eyes transfixed. Nothing. I needed to know, there was no question at this point: what the fuck are you? I bolt forward, intent on somehow harming this clown's disgusting visage, of gouging out its obsidian, enervating eyes. In no time, I reached the clown demon's face, intent on all out slaughter.

It was around this time that I realized it was a pile of washed clothes.

The pale face? The whites. The red lips? An embarrassingly skimpy piece of red underwear (It might have been shortly after my parent's anniversary). And the soulless eyes? A pair of giant black business socks, for my dad. I quietly heaved a sigh of relief and, gently now!, moved the socks underneath the rest of the clothes. To prevent them from ever prying into my bedroom again. So far, everything's been looking up. As it were.

DaDdY's HoMe.
  • Options
    When did clowns in popular culture shift from children friendly fun to demonic representation of all that is unholy?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    It?

The Joker?

Ronald McDonald?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2011
    http://youtu.be/ufD7q16Y0Rs

This is the first appearance of Ronald McDonald.

Vanguard on
  • Options
    NeadenNeaden Registered User regular
    edited August 2011
    I saw it on fark so some of you guys might have seen it already but (Edit: Kinda but not really a screamer, just warning) this is excellently creepy. Don't click anything just scroll down. Its in Korean and I have no idea what it says but you can get the drift.

Neaden on
  • Options
    mr-razzcocksmr-razzcocks Registered User regular
    So, I'm almost certain you people will have seen this video, it's a few years old, but a friend of mine showed me this the other night, and it's unsettling on several different levels.

A WORD OF WARNING, THOUGH

The YouTube account is basically an elaborate screamer, so you should avoid the video marked Windhoose or whatever, unless you're into that sort of thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POnxAoHl1qc&feature=channel_video_title

• Options
    I'm planning to head to my local Borders' on its last day before closing up, in the hopes to get some final deals on some books (I have $5 leftover on my gift card). If anyone could suggest some good creepy books (preferably modern ones), I'd love to hear them.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    If you're going to Borders on the last day, don't expect to find much. Anything that would be suggested has probably been gone for a couple of weeks.

• Options
    TanrarTanrar Registered User regular
    You guys have heard of sleep paralysis, right? Sometimes, you wake up from the middle of a dream, and you can't move. Completely conscious, but you are just stuck. Maybe lasts six seconds. It happened to me, about a year ago.

It was a Saturday morning, probably around 4 o'clock, and I woke up from a regular dream. My mind was still groggy, and I didn't realize I was paralyzed because I didn't try to move (I was having a bit of trouble breathing, also caused by the paralysis, but I didn't really care). About a second after waking up, I heard my door open. For a second, I thought it was just one of my roommates trying to pull a prank, but the joke would be on them because I was actually awake. But see, both of my roommates were gone for the weekend. I realized that, and tried to bolt up, but I couldn't move. I wasn't frozen in fear, it was just impossible for me to move.

I heard a knife being drawn, and I felt the presence of this thing that was in my room. I couldn't even tilt my head to see it, but I knew that I was about to die. My back got very cold, and I thought that I had been stabbed. But, as you probably can tell, I wasn't stabbed. I suddenly heard nothing, could move, and I realized nothing had happened. See, hallucinations are common with sleep paralysis, but they feel very real.

All in all, it lasted maybe 6 seconds, if that. But I thought, for a few of those seconds, that I was going to die, and I couldn't do anything about it. In a way, sleep paralysis is like the opposite of a lucid dream. In a lucid dream, you are conscious and have full control over what you see and do. When you have sleep paralysis, you have literally no control, but you are fully conscious during the entire thing.

Ugh, I hope it never happens to me again. But, on the positive side, nothing scares me anymore. Paranormal Activity was boring (watched it the night after this incident), I stopped playing Amnesia because I wasn't getting scared, and even things in real life that used to terrify me (like walking alone at night in a bad part of town) just don't worry me. Nothing is as scary as thinking you are about to die and being unable to stop it.

Anyone else had a sleep paralysis incident?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    You guys have heard of sleep paralysis, right?

Nah.

PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    Tanrar wrote:
    Ugh, I hope it never happens to me again. But, on the positive side, nothing scares me anymore. Paranormal Activity was boring (watched it the night after this incident), I stopped playing Amnesia because I wasn't getting scared, and even things in real life that used to terrify me (like walking alone at night in a bad part of town) just don't worry me. Nothing is as scary as thinking you are about to die and being unable to stop it.

That wasn't sleep paralysis. You're just rationalizing what happened.

What really happened was a malevolent spirit murdered your soul. You don't feel fear anymore, and soon you will realize it's getting harder and harder to feel joy or love. Not too long from now you won't be able to feel anything at all. Then, in a month or two, you will see something terrible like a dog getting hit by a car, and you'll startle yourself by giggling.

You'll be a serial killer in two years, tops. On the night of your first kill, the spirit will come back, and the two of you will become one.

Sorry.

• Options
    IrrIrr Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    (repost)

Irr on
    C'Thun is a giant eyeball, but can he see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
    BECAUSE IT HOLDS THE POWER OF THE IMMORTALS?
    No silly, it's the taste you can see!
    YOU...WILL....DIE....
  • Options
    IrrIrr Registered User regular
    Hi, long time lurker here. This is a long shot, but I've spent a good five-ten hours on my search for a certain forum that was posted in one of the first [creepy] threads here on Penny-Arcade and figured I'd see if any other vets knew what I was talking about.

Someone posted a link to a forum for a legitimate product (I'm pretty sure I'd heard of it at the time). It had like customer support and product info and shit, but one of the subforums was named something like 'the slaughterhouse' or something similar, maybe had meat in the name. It stuck out, it was very odd.

When you clicked on it there were a ton of people probably involved in an arg where they were all talking covertly about some sort of mission. There were videos posted to the site that would give the participants instructions, people would have supernatural encounters, I remember one guy recovering a book of some sort. there were also lots of posts of people asking wtf was going on, why is this on this forum, very confused, etc., but no one would respond. It seemed somewhat similar to the Founders but about a thousand times more interesting. It could be defunct by now, I dunno, but if anyone has any knowledge of what I'm talking about I'd appreciate it. I've looked through hundreds of lists of 'creepy links' and haven't found it, which is weird because it seemed like an extremely active community and it seemed like it would be a lot more popular than it is.

Thanks.

C'Thun is a giant eyeball, but can he see why kids love cinnamon toast crunch?
    BECAUSE IT HOLDS THE POWER OF THE IMMORTALS?
    No silly, it's the taste you can see!
    YOU...WILL....DIE....
  • Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    Tanrar wrote:

That wasn't sleep paralysis. You're just rationalizing what happened.

What really happened was a malevolent spirit murdered your soul. You don't feel fear anymore, and soon you will realize it's getting harder and harder to feel joy or love. Not too long from now you won't be able to feel anything at all. Then, in a month or two, you will see something terrible like a dog getting hit by a car, and you'll startle yourself by giggling.

You'll be a serial killer in two years, tops. On the night of your first kill, the spirit will come back, and the two of you will become one.

Sorry.

daaaaammmnnnn

• Options
    MplsOsirisMplsOsiris Registered User regular
    Since it's mentioned in the OP, I think it's worthwhile to point out that the sequel to John Dies At The End has been sent to the publisher, and the trailer for the movie can be found here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my9Pr-W92SM

Happy Halloween!

A while back I hated where my life was and where my life was going. Now I'm happily engaged, in the best shape I've been in since high school, have a bunch of wild stories and most importantly I enjoy my life! You can check out what I'm up to next at http://coolbyintent.com/blog
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    Neaden wrote:
    I saw it on fark so some of you guys might have seen it already but (Edit: Kinda but not really a screamer, just warning) this is excellently creepy. Don't click anything just scroll down. Its in Korean and I have no idea what it says but you can get the drift.
    Holy crap! I totally wasn't expecting that to animate with sounds.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Anyone have a copy of those creepy digital edited walk in the woods photos? The one that had creepy looking people in between some of the trees. I think they were in black and white and at the end the photographer climbs a wooden town.

There were in a previous iteration of this thread but I haven't been able to find them.

Edit: Ah, found them on another forum, http://community.codemasters.com/forum/second-sight-general-discussion-207/42825-i-found-digital-camera-woods-lots-pics.html.

Some pics seem to be missing.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    I don't have anything new to contribute as far as creepy stories, but I did want to bring the thread back up to see if anyone had anything new to share, whether it be creepy stories told from another forum or creepy YouTube videos.

On the subject of the latter, I'm behind on both EverymanHybrid and MarbleHornets. Assuming both are still ongoing, which one is currently edging out on the unsettling/scary department? And have any other YouTube videos similar to both been made?

I also started reading Stephen King's IT. Funny enough, my Mother has owned the book longer than two of her daughters, and has always been lingering around the family house like some kind of antique. No one has ever actually opened it and read it, until I finally broke the cycle.

Lastly, I was super-stoked to learn that this year's Halloween Horror Nights would not only have a Silent Hill attraction, but The Walking Dead as well: http://www.dreadcentral.com/news/57742/universal-studios-halloween-horror-nights-more-alice-cooper-silent-hill-and-walking-dead-

I really hope TWD's setting is based on the hospital from the first episode. I hope SH is as true to the games as possible (the good ones, anyway).

• Options
    balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    my older sister and i had overactive imaginations when we were young. my sister from ages 4-6 was haunted by a floating green head that always appeared at the corner of her vision. when a neighbor's cat jumped into our balcony from the adjoining one, i looked out the sliding glass doors which led to the balcony and was terrified by my mother's potted plants erupting into a jungle and the cat suddenly morphing into a panther. we both experienced night terrors and SP and "hauntings". however, most of my hallucinatory experiences were pretty tame compared to my sister's.

in st louis, where we spent most of our childhood years, my family attended a very small, upstart protestant church with a congregation of about twenty people including the children. it wasn't a huge cathedral or anything. it was closer to an office. since the congregation was so small, though, the church felt so huge to us and retained that strange, eerie vibe which churches often do to a child. there were maybe three or four other children besides me and my sister. we would often skip bible study and roam the hallways and the many rooms. the whole building was just so quiet. it's the absolute quiet i remember most about the place.

anyway, one of the more minor hauntings my sister experienced at the church was when she was walking down a long hallway by herself. as she walked down the hall, she noticed something coming towards her from the other side. it was a floating red hood, a variation on the white sheet ghost, and it whisked past her and disappeared around the corner. kind of frightening, but nothing compared to what i'm going to tell you next.

one time, my sister needed to take a whee and so she went to the bathroom by herself. the bathroom consisted of a couple of sinks and three toilet stalls. she entered a stall and carried on with her business. a few seconds later, she heard the bathroom door open accompanied by steps leading to a stall next to hers. she thought it was her good friend Laura since the steps were light and brisk and could only be made by a pint-sized child like herself. and so she called out:

"Laura? Is that you?"

there was no reply. only silence.

Laura was always a kind of prankster who loved to pull scares on all the other kids. she especially teased my sister because she was so susceptible to strange hallucinatory experiences or "hauntings". my sister assumed it was only Laura playing around.

"I know it's you. Stop it."

still no reply. the silence persisted.

my sister was starting to get scared. who or what was in the stall next to hers? there was only one way to find out. she stooped over and looked under the divider between her stall and the next.

and what did she see?

a pair of sneakers full of blood.

she got out of there as fast as she could.

• Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    It's getting close to that time where this thread needs to start ramping up. I approve of you bringing it back Baler.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    I was all excited to learn that [REC] 3 got made, but was then immediately bummed to learn that not only was it not really a sequel to the first two, but apparently went on a more comedic direction that resulted in negative feedback.

Hasn't there been any worthwhile horror movies made recently? Or anything online?

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    -Cabin in the Woods
    -Chernobyl Diaries (This one was surprisingly decent, though not great)
    -Prometheus
    -Woman in Black

V/H/S is coming out soon and has a lot of positive buzz, as well as The Pact.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I see quite a few cheap horror title at my red boxes. Maybe there's a diamond in the turd somewhere?

Wish I could help, like when I worked at Blockbuster and had an awesome manager that loved horror movies and was always on top of the latest.

Over in the Trailers thread, Sinister was shown and looks good, but it's not out yet.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote: »
    -Cabin in the Woods
    -Chernobyl Diaries (This one was surprisingly decent, though not great)
    -Prometheus
    -Woman in Black

V/H/S is coming out soon and has a lot of positive buzz, as well as The Pact.

-Seen it
    -Heard it sucked
    -Seen it
    -Heard mixed opinions

Can't wait for V/H/S though.

• Options
    Chernobyl Diaries was special in that the characters don't (for the msot part) make super boneheaded decisions. Also, the atmosphere and locations were amazing.

Woman in Black is all about atmosphere. For all accounts other than that, it was solidly mediocre.

I'm not saying they were great films, but they were solid horror movies worth a viewing.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Woman in Black was a horrible horror movie. I was never once scared for the protagonist and it relied on cheap "gotcha" scares almost the entire time.

I don't get why anyone would recommend that one.

• Options
    ObiFett wrote: »
    Woman in Black was a horrible horror movie. I was never once scared for the protagonist and it relied on cheap "gotcha" scares almost the entire time.

I don't get why anyone would recommend that one.
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Woman in Black is all about atmosphere. For all accounts other than that, it was solidly mediocre.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I wasn't responding to you, Spec. :P

I just saw someone recommended Woman in Black as a good horror movie and had to right that wrong.

edit: oh, you were the one that recommended it. Yeah, I don't even think the atmosphere in that movie was that great, tbh.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    Element BrianElement Brian Peanut Butter Shill Registered User regular
    I fell asleep to Twin Peaks the other night...had a dream about Bob. It was pretty scary.

Switch FC code:SW-2130-4285-0059

Arch,
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_goGR39m2k
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I know everyones over found footage films, but I still stand by the fact that Grave Encounters (a silly name, you'll see why if you watch it) is one of the creepiest, well crafted and brilliant scare-horrors out.

Its a diamond in the rough and really underrated, but if you're into that sort of thing, the atmosphere is fantastic.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    Sounds familiar... Was it released as one of the After Dark Horrorfest?

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    darklite_xdarklite_x I'm not an r-tard... Registered User regular
    Not sure who released it, but it was definitely a straight-to-video type affair. I'll echo Pro's statement and give it a recommendation. I didn't find it particularly scary, but it had great atmosphere and tone, and I don't regret watching it at all. It was definitely one of the better horror films I've seen recently.

Steam ID: darklite_x Xbox Gamertag: Darklite 37 PSN:Rage_Kage_37 Battle.Net:darklite#2197
  • Options
    It was a Tribeca Film festival release and it was pretty decent.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    Kind of a creepy story from the night before last. Right before going to bed I noticed that our patio door was ajar. I honestly didn't think much of it at the time as the door sometimes doesn't latch properly and has the tendency to open up because of that. So I essentially wrote it off and went to bed.

The next morning I get up and go through my morning routine before heading out the door for work. Strangely enough, I can't find my laptop as I'm headed out the door. No problem, I probably left it at the office. Show up there and it's nowhere to be found. Obviously, now I'm a bit concerned we were robbed so I head home and phone the police. Shortly after my girlfriend realized that her purse and wallet had been stolen too, so definitely a robbery.

The creepy part came when the police arrived and started investigating. There were footprints that came into our kitchen, walked down our hallway, and ended looking into our bedroom. I was likely in the basement puttering around while this guy was in my house watching my girlfriend sleep.

She's super happy about that.

• Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Holy crap, were you robbed by Batman or something? That's some stealthy shit. At least all he did was take your stuff, could have been a lot worse.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I was all excited to learn that [REC] 3 got made, but was then immediately bummed to learn that not only was it not really a sequel to the first two, but apparently went on a more comedic direction that resulted in negative feedback.

Hasn't there been any worthwhile horror movies made recently? Or anything online?

REC 3 was pretty fun, but yeah. It's a little goofier and it is a prequel. But it's actually really solid.

It's got some major fucking problems, but I was very creeped out during Lake Mungo.

Detention is the Scott Pilgrim of comedy slashers. I loved it. It's quite possible many others will hate it. It involves time travel and a magnetic bear.

Intruders is garbage. Only worth it for the scene where Clive Owen punches and wrestles a ghost.

The Woman in Black and The Innkeepers are both good, not great. Also, both are really slow, not necessarily in a good way, and more atmosphere than anything else.

I didn't like V/H/S// Like most found footage films, it's populated almost entirely by assholes and douchebags. A couple of the segments suck and it's easy to pick out the Ti West one. It's the boring one with a kitten's understanding of tension. One segment is flat out good and two are mostly good. It's also evident that they made each segment with no supervision, as two segments feature the exact same scare. There's boobs and gore, though, so that's cool.

And they're older, but Severance, Pontypool and The Signal are all wonderful and available on Netflix Instant.

Lovely Molly, not out on DVD yet, is also very good and very creepy. Not found footage, but uses some found footage in a very good way. Could've been a tiny bit more subtle about some stuff, but ultimately stuck with me in a very creepy way.

Medium Dave on
  • Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular
    Kind of a creepy story from the night before last. Right before going to bed I noticed that our patio door was ajar. I honestly didn't think much of it at the time as the door sometimes doesn't latch properly and has the tendency to open up because of that. So I essentially wrote it off and went to bed.

It's the "old-fashioned" method of locking, but get a 1.5 to 2 inch thick wooden dowel cut to the right length (with about a centimeter to half inch of clearance) so that it lies flat and put it in the door track when you go out or go to sleep at night.
    The next morning I get up and go through my morning routine before heading out the door for work. Strangely enough, I can't find my laptop as I'm headed out the door. No problem, I probably left it at the office. Show up there and it's nowhere to be found. Obviously, now I'm a bit concerned we were robbed so I head home and phone the police. Shortly after my girlfriend realized that her purse and wallet had been stolen too, so definitely a robbery.

The creepy part came when the police arrived and started investigating. There were footprints that came into our kitchen, walked down our hallway, and ended looking into our bedroom. I was likely in the basement puttering around while this guy was in my house watching my girlfriend sleep.

She's super happy about that.

Holy moly, glad you're both okay. That is...ugh.