As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Olympics!

1565758596062»

• Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    Anyone even thinking that the NBC coverage was good needs to see what they do for sporting events like this in the UK. Every event, live, on one massive megachannel. You can watch anything you want that is on. Replays, commentary for everything but the most obscure events. (at least, that was how they did Wimbledon and the last olympics when I was in the UK) The NBC coverage was acceptable by the standards of 1995.

"That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The BBC coverage was pretty great, and reading some of the stories others have with regards to their coverage, makes me extremely thankful that the BBC exists. Not everything was perfect, and mistakes were made (could anyone explain the point in having Trevor Nelson and Reggie Yates?), but overall fantastic.

For those not in the know, BBC 1 and BBC 2 swapped coverage during the day, while BBC 3 had it on all the time, all the way up to 11pm. Then we had the red button which allowed you to watch a whole bunch of other stuff. Oh and of course iplayer so you can watch events at work.

I don't really know how the beeb managed to get McEnroe (always excellent), Michael Johnson and Ian Thorpe (both brilliant); did their own countries not want them commentating?

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    We got McEnroe (not a huge amount of him) because of his connections with the BBC from his work at Wimbledon. We got Thorpe because he didn't get into the Australian team this time out (he was trying) and I guess someone knew someone and we got lucky that he was so good, and we got Johnson because he's been a regular part of the BBC athletics team for years and years now. He once said that he chose to become part of the BBC team because they broadcast more athletics than anyone else.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    Anyone know a good way to watch Muse's performance of Survival that doesn't involve outright piracy or submitting personal information to NBC's cryptic database?

• Options
    ChenChen Registered User regular
    I sort of cringe a little when they get overly excited for British success. Couldn't they get some actual British people? Preferably with a sense of humour? They did have Robbie Savage and Alan Hansen for the football coverage at least.

V0Gug2h.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The BBC announcers mentioned something about downloading the soundtrack to the opening ceremony.

Is that a thing, or did I drunk that?

That was a set I wouldn't mind dropping a few quid on.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    I believe the soundtrack is called Isles of Wonder.

Is this what you're after?

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote: »
    I believe the soundtrack is called Isles of Wonder.

Is this what you're after?

Yes. Excellent. Thanks.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Here is a spotify playlist of the opening ceremony http://spoti.fi/Ormpif

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I think my only real problem with the London games was the focus on British athletes, even if they weren't leading or had already lost. If the BBC were running the feeds, I could maybe understand but the OBS? No, that's stupid. I can only presume that it was the fault of contractors they'd hired but it's not much of an excuse. Unbiased feeds thanks.

Otherwise, it was an amazing games.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    The host is responsible for providing the world feed. So it was Brits running it.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I saw a throw away news headline that stated that one of the athletes (US I think?) tested positive for pot. , Since it's not a performance enhancer, and as a multi-national event legality of the drug is kinda iffy, how does fit in with the Olympic rules on drug use?

Also, whoever was in charge of the ending ceremony should be tested for drugs.

Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    It's on the list of IOC banned substances, so he gets the boot, simple as.

When an organization explicitly states something is banned well in advance, going all legal eagle on them if it's found in your system probably isn't going to help your defense. It's not like this rule snuck up on him.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ah cool, thanks.

Though it seems a bit weird that an organization with such a narrow focus would have a law like this. I assumed that only performance enhancers would be illegal, regardless of their legality for any nation, and any other substance would fall under the hosting country.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    If I remember correctly there were some snowboarders who got kicked out last Olympics (the Olympics before last?) due to having marijuana in their system. Its kind of stupid since its not a performance enhancing drug...

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Nicholas Delpopo, who competed in Judo, was positive for Ganjo...

I'll come up with something.

• Options
    I agree that it does seem stupid on the face of it. Maybe it makes detecting other drugs more difficult.

Lots and lots of sports associations ban it though, it isn't just the IOC. I think you'd be hard pressed to find a sport where it isn't on the banned list.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    They've ruled it a performance enhancer in sports that require a steady hand, such as shooting, archery or golf. Whether you agree with that assessment's up to you, and personally I figure it a bit bullshit that it got invoked in a sport where it isn't considered a performance enhancer. But I guess the IOC figures banned for one, banned for all.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Actually that makes sense, thanks.
    How much sense if up for debate, but initially it sounded like it was a morality law.

Move to New Zealand
  • Options
    quovadis13quovadis13 Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly there were some snowboarders who got kicked out last Olympics (the Olympics before last?) due to having marijuana in their system. Its kind of stupid since its not a performance enhancing drug...

It was Canadian Ross Rebagliati. He won the first gold ever at the Olympics in snowboarding but then had it taken away after he tested positive for marijuana. They appealed and won because apparently it wasn't on the list of banned substances. He now has a run named after him in Whistler.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    So much of the Olympics is how you cope with the pressure I can see the argument for it being potentially perfomance enhancing for everything.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    What the Olympic Medal count looks like to the mathematically literate:

In the 2012 Olympics, USA won 104 medals. Jamaica won 12 medals. If Jamaica had the population of the USA, they'd have won 1382 medals.

In the 2012 Olympics, USA won 104 medals. China won 88 medals. If China had the population of the USA, they'd have won only 20 medals.

Scaled by population (9-medal minimum), the top-five winning countries in the 2012 Olympics were 1) Jamaica 2) New Zealand 3) Hungary 4) Denmark 5) Australia.

Scaled by population (5-medal minimum) the five most under-achieving countries in the 2012 Olympics were 1) Mexico 2) China 3) Turkey 4) Ethiopia 5) Brazil.

-NDTyson

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    To celebrate Jamaica's success at the Olympics, I think I'll rent Cool Runnings tonight.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

In the 2012 Olympics, USA won 104 medals. Jamaica won 12 medals. If Jamaica had the population of the USA, they'd have won 1382 medals.

In the 2012 Olympics, USA won 104 medals. China won 88 medals. If China had the population of the USA, they'd have won only 20 medals.

Scaled by population (9-medal minimum), the top-five winning countries in the 2012 Olympics were 1) Jamaica 2) New Zealand 3) Hungary 4) Denmark 5) Australia.

Scaled by population (5-medal minimum) the five most under-achieving countries in the 2012 Olympics were 1) Mexico 2) China 3) Turkey 4) Ethiopia 5) Brazil.

-NDTyson

What were the 1382 track events Jamaica would've wone those medals in? Oh wait, projections like that don't work. Right.

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

-NDTyson

What were the 1382 track events Jamaica would've wone those medals in? Oh wait, projections like that don't work. Right.

extrapolating.png

No, the math doesn't work, but the idea is funny.

Neil DeGrasse Tyson needs to work on his execution.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

-NDTyson

way to take something amusing and be a dick about it. good job there.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

-NDTyson

way to take something amusing and be a dick about it. good job there.

It wasn't all that amusing. But pardon me for expecting more from someone who thinks as highly of themselves as NDTyson does.

• Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular

-NDTyson

100m dash, 101m dash, 102m dash...

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    Bumped for the Paralympics. The Opening Ceremony is currently going; they're on the speeches.

And no NBC to deal with because live streaming of everything.

• Options
    Watched some of the Judo today.

The only real complaint I have about Channel 4's coverage is that the commentator clearly had no fucking clue what was going on. Some of the things he said were just baffling... as in a commentator watching football and musing why the center forward doesn't just pick up the ball baffling.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Okay... this just proves nobody has any idea how to make books and reading look not-completely-wimpy in a performance setting. It's always hot air balloons and sailboats and castles with dragons that need slaying. And always a dumpy-looking boy with glasses. Does nobody know how to make books look awesome?

EDIT: And now in a segment on science, there's an apple motif. The PA announcer suddenly says, as a giant golden apple flies toward the stage, "Everyone, get your apples ready. 5...4...3...2...1... BITE!" And then there's this huge crunch.

Cut to the crowd, and you see everyone had been given an apple.

Gosling on
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Gosling wrote: »
    Okay... this just proves nobody has any idea how to make books and reading look not-completely-wimpy in a performance setting. It's always hot air balloons and sailboats and castles with dragons that need slaying. And always a dumpy-looking boy with glasses. Does nobody know how to make books look awesome?

Ever seen Read or Die or Library Wars?

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    And now there's a Large Hadron Collider skit. Stephen Hawking on stage.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Ladies and gentlemen, the Paralympic flame is now approaching the stadium.

Gosling on