As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Whisky Tasting full, waiting on seeing how big the terrace is, will PM reservees if space.

13»

• shadowscoutshadowscout Registered User regular
    I'm flying over via canada so have 2 customs things to go through and whilst I'm sure there would be no issues -
    I didn't really potentially wanna be 'that guy' on the coach holding things up on the way down from Vancouver ;)

oh and whilst things may be expensive US wise - they probably aren't as expensive as some things can be in the UK ;)

I may split the difference and pick up something in vancouver as I have Monday or Tuesday set aside for shopping there anyway

• ojiiojii Registered User regular
    Really wish I saw this thread earlier. This will be my first pax and this sounds like a great way to ease into it, especially as I appreciate a good whiskey. So should there be any open spaces, please let me know.

• redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    LewieP's Mummy: No doubt you would have access to all the scotch and more that we Americans have, but out of curiosity, do you get much in the way of American whiskey in the UK? If so, what is common over there, what have you heard of that you don't have that may interest you? Just trying to drum up ideas for the guests still on the fence about what to bring.

• tybottybot Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Also, Guinness floats are pretty fantastic.
    I've found Whiskey and hard cider go great. Especially Angry Orchards Apple Ginger.

tybot on
  • redhaloredhalo Also a Professional Alcoholic Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    tybot wrote: »
    Also, Guinness floats are pretty fantastic.
    I've found Whiskey and hard cider go great. Especially Angry Orchards Apple Ginger.
    I believe that's called a "snakebite".

edit: disregard, I is wrong.

redhalo on
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I know it's a whiskey tasting event, but can we bring other liquor? I'm still undecided as to what to bring. What goes well with whiskey?

vgc wrote: »
    I know it's a whiskey tasting event, but can we bring other liquor? I'm still undecided as to what to bring. What goes well with whiskey?
    While not going I feel obligated to help my whiskey brothers and sisters and robots. Here's a list of somethings that have worked.
    Soda and lime
    Mountain Dew
    Cola
    Apple Juice
    Ice (you know on the rocks)

• LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    @tybot: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! The only thing that should go in a single malt is a little water!!! Sacrilege!!!!

Breathes slowly, calming cleansing breaths.

Next you'll be telling me to add lemonade to vintage Port!!

@vgc just whisky, please.

@redhalo a Snakebite is cider and lager - least it is here! The only US whiskeys I've seen here are Jim Beam and Jack Daniels, then that nasty Southern Comfort stuff that smells like brown medicine. I'm up for trying US whiskey and seeing how it compares.

For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2012
    If you need to chill your whisky, I would suggest bringing some whisky stones. Ice is an atrocity.

@LewieP's Mummy There are some solid US whiskeys. I'm a big fan of Buffalo Trace as a mid-priced bourbon with high quality. I know someone like @arsonisfun could suggest some other quality bourbons or ryes.

zerzhul on
    edited August 2012
    @LewieP'sMummy Derp didnt see the "single malt" part. The only thing you need is a glass and a monocle. Sip. Enjoy.

tybot on
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    {Snipping}
    @redhalo a Snakebite is cider and lager - least it is here! The only US whiskeys I've seen here are Jim Beam and Jack Daniels, then that nasty Southern Comfort stuff that smells like brown medicine. I'm up for trying US whiskey and seeing how it compares.

SoCo is a Peach Mash if memory serves.
    Makers Mark has been fairly good of late IMHO. The number of microdistilleries cropping up however is getting more in more incredible!
    Most US whiskeys tend to be oak aged and don't have any peat flavor. Smoke varies depending on the lenght and style of aging.
    I need to find a bottle of my "Bourbon Aged Stout" The local microbrew here makes an imperial stout and then ages it in used Jim Beam Barrels, so you get a subtle taste of Bourbon in your beer, it's incredible! (You also get a light bourbon headrush from it.)

(I know I didn't make the cut but I may grab a bottle of Imperial Stout and just bring it for whenever!)

• LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    If you need to chill your whisky, I would suggest bringing some whisky stones. Ice is an atrocity.

@LewieP's Mummy I agree. Water should be added only if intentioned. The stones need to be frozen for a few hours first and are best right out of the freezer. Let me know if you'd like some dropped off with you earlier in the day.

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
    @tybot: you made me chuckle at that!

I've never heard of whiskey stones! Lexi: that might be a good plan, when I arrive I'll check freezer space, thank you.

• tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    @tybot: you made me chuckle at that!

I've never heard of whiskey stones! Lexi: that might be a good plan, when I arrive I'll check freezer space, thank you.

I dunno how many Lexi has, but I can chuck mine in my suitcase if you need them (and can let me know before the Tuesday before PAX when I pack.) I have 9, and as long as I get them back, I'm happy to loan them (but someone will need to track me down Wednesday afternoon.)

FWIW, they fit in my freezer in a tiny little pocket in the door (which reminds me, I need to find them post move...)

• olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I wish I saw this sooner! If you do end up having room for one more, I'd love to come. Let me entice you. Here is what I would bring, and yes, I'll bring it all:

Single malt:
    Laphroig 10 year (my favorite! Well actually, cask strength is my favorite, but it hasn't been available for a while now)
    Laphroig Quarter Cask
    Talisker 10 year

Blended:
    Johnnie Walker Double Black (if you normally only like peaty single malts, you might like this limited edition blend JW put out last year)

American:
    Gentleman Jack (a variety of Jack Daniel's)
    Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

P.S.
    About the ice/water debate, I always have my whiskey neat, but even the tasting guide that comes with every tube of Laphroig mentions adding a little water to your glass to open up the flavors or something. I have read similar suggestions other places too. However, I've been drinking scotch for at least five years and have still not bothered to try it other than having a black label on the rocks a couple times.

It should be noted that whiskey stones cannot cool your drink anywhere nearly as effectively as ice. They provide a slight chill only, and it doesn't last long. That's not to say I recommend against using whiskey stones; I'm just explaining that that's how they work. That way, you'll know what to expect.

PPS
    Southern Comfort is a liqueur (not "liquor") -sugary and meant for mixing in cocktails, though it can also be enjoyed straight. In that respect, it is not bad. It is not considered a whiskey. They once used bourbon to make it I believe, but not anymore. Even when it did contain bourbon, you wouldn't call it a whiskey.

PPPS (i.e. Sorry, i read the first page, posted, and then started reading the thread backwards)

Speaking about liquor prices in WA, Total Wine recently opened in Bellevue (and one's opening in Tukwila too). Their prices are quite good, especially for scotch. Even after tax, their scotch prices seem to be the same or even a few dollars less than the old state liquor store prices.

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    Plus, Total has a vastly better selection than the state liquor stores!

Our other two favorite stores are BevMo (in Tacoma, but supposedly opening on in Tukwila soon - probably really soon if they want to compete with Total) and Wine World (on 45th just west of I-5 in the U-District). Wine World's prices are higher than Total's and BevMo's but their scotch/whiskey selection is awesome and they have special bottlings. Esquin, down on 4th in SoDo, is also a good spot for scotch but I haven't been there in a month and a half or so which seems like a long time relative to when the privatized sale began.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

So looking forward to this - we've started to pack, as we arrive this Saturday and I've just been told about a Jura on sale for £23/$34, might have to investigative that tomorrow. I've bought about 260 plastic disposable shot glasses for us to use to taste - not risking crystal on the plane - so if you want to drink out of something else when we've finished sampling all the whisky, bring a glass with you.

On the water issue, I was taught to add a few drops to make the volatile compounds rise, as it changes the smell and taste very slightly.

I'm planning to PM people some time on Sunday with final details.

@olanmills - there's already a waiting list, I'll add you to it. Our plan is that if the terrace is big enough to include everyone, but until we see it, we won't know exactly how many it will hold.

• BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    On the water issue, I was taught to add a few drops to make the volatile compounds rise, as it changes the smell and taste very slightly.

This is true, but it does have consequences.

Adding a few drops of water does release conginers and other volatile compounds and changes the nose and initial mouthfeel of the whiskey. However it also speeds up the oxidation and release of said compounds, so that the whiskey does risk going a bit flat and stale the longer you take to drink it.

I find Speysides and Highland scotchs especially prone to losing flavor quickly if one does the water approach, but the change in nose is welcome for things like Dalwhinnie, Glenfiddich, and Aberlour.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    @LewieP's Mummy, I won't be able to make it to the whisky tasting. It can go to the next person on the waitlist. Thanks for hosting this awesome event though and I'll have to follow you on twitter to get my chocolate!

Oh that's a shame! Thanks for letting me know!

We're here!!!!
    Might need to change the planned time from 8:00-10:00 to 7:30-9:30 cos a) it's dark at 9:00 b) there's rules about no noise after 10:00pm and c) I've left my solar powered fairy lights at home. I might buy candles, but if we do make it 7:30 pm, does that cause any problems for people?
    We may need one person a bit earlier to help with setting up/ directing to lifts/elevators as well.
    I'll be pm-ing people with the address in the next couple of days :)

Woot! LewieP's Mummy is in the HOUSE.

PAX can start now.

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    :whistle: I got a bottle sitting on my counter... :whistle:

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • SaldekSaldek Registered User regular
    I'm heading to Seattle in a couple hours! Got a bottle in my suitcase, hopefully it survives the plane ride.

https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/Saldek
    DS Friend Code - 5300-9697-9935
    We just bought a bottle at BevMo for Wednesday night! I'm actually happier with it earlier. I've got to work at 7:30 the next morning. O_o

ufq9gj8383nh.png

We've got a local kitchen, and will arrive with smokey, salty, dark chocolate ... um, cookies. @LewisP's Mummy - no need to use your cooker, knock yourself out!

OK, PMs are going out tonight with our address and the time we need you to arrive. Those of you on the reserve list, I'm sorry if you didn't make it!

PMs send repeatedly, sorry!

• QuickSnapQuickSnap Professional Beard Grower Registered User regular
    Is there a particular dress attire that we should be prepared for for the tasting, or is it a "come as you are" but with Whisky in hand?

6rceun58332p.png
    Preferably clothes. In fact, definitely clothes. Tiaras always welcome, monocles optional!

If you've had a PM from me could you please reply to confirm your attendance? Thank you. :)

Cookies are baked! Delicious super dark, super chocolatey cookies without flour or butter, becuase they just get in the way of the chocolate. I did two kinds - plain dark chocolate to go with sweeter whiskeys, and some dark chocolate with alder smoked seasalt to compliment the peaty smokiness of Scotch.

Also, there may not be whiskey stones tonight - I'm not sure yet - but if anyone else wants to bring them, please do!

edited August 2012
    ZOMG on the cookies!

Pork is in the crockpot right this moment, wrapped in banana leaves and cooking away.

We are really looking forward to trying lots o' whisky tonight and seeing everyone!

ETA: and I don't have to work tomorrow! W00t!

vespachica on
    ufq9gj8383nh.png

Well usually, if you want to use whiskey stones, they should be in the freezer for six hours, I think.

VmUq7mz.png
    Thank you to everyone who came; for your company, food and whisky, we had a lovely evening xxxx

Thank YOU for hosting!

I had a great time; thanks to all, but especially to LewieP's parents for organizing and hosting. Also, I'm sorry that I already forgot who made the awesome buttons, but thank you very much. Please identify yourself, because you deserve recognition for this awesome gesture.

VmUq7mz.png
    That would be @JobiWanKenobi and his Special achievement idea.

Thank you SO MUCH for LPM and LPD for hosting such a wonderful gathering! I'm sorry we had to leave early but I so appreciate you putting this together. Thanks to everyone for bringing delicious food and yummy whisky!!

ufq9gj8383nh.png

That would be @JobiWanKenobi and his Special achievement idea.

And that's actually the one forum name I said that I'd be able to remember! If it is any redemption for me, I can remember the face now that goes with that handle.

VmUq7mz.png
This discussion has been closed.