As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Fitness Group [Meet up on Sunday at 1]

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I'm up to 4 pull-ups now! Woo hoo!

@Robogirl
    Feet splitting open?!? Ouch! I really hope your new shoes and socks hold up.

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    @Robogirl That jump is KILLER! Best of luck.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    @vgc: yeah, it really sucked and made running misery. I have pictures but no one wants to see that. I'm pleased to say I ran 2 miles today and roller skated(derby practice) 2 hours and it was fine.

@paynetrayne: you know, it wasnt that bad. I got to 20 minutes and decided to just finish up and do the full 2 miles. Finished that at 23:50. I was pretty pleased with myself, honestly before the last month I had never been able to even run a mile straight before(hell, when I started I was dying doing 60 seconds). The fact that I just ran two miles without stopping blows my mind. I'm mentally building a ramping routine for running so I can be prepared for tough mudder... Or at least as prepared as I can be.

I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Tough Mudder. I'd prefer something shorter like Spartan or Warrior Dash without cold water and electric wires. I mean that's the fun but it's absolutely destructive to even the fittest bodies.

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    I'll be honest, I'm not a fan of Tough Mudder. I'd prefer something shorter like Spartan or Warrior Dash without cold water and electric wires. I mean that's the fun but it's absolutely destructive to even the fittest bodies.

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'm gonna die. Im probably signing up for gladiator the week before, too, as a kind of warm up

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Posted this on the Fitocracy group as well, but anyone else care to join the Squirrel Challenge (assuming you haven't already completed it like Payne)? Squirrel Challenge: Be able to squat your own weight at least 5 reps by the start of PAX. Prize... Beer? A button? TOG claims to have mad photoshop skills, maybe we can get him to whip up a muscled squirrel image for a button or something.

Anyone want to join the challenge?

Squirrel Challenge completed! Did 160x5 last night. /flex

Mogs wrote: »
    Posted this on the Fitocracy group as well, but anyone else care to join the Squirrel Challenge (assuming you haven't already completed it like Payne)? Squirrel Challenge: Be able to squat your own weight at least 5 reps by the start of PAX. Prize... Beer? A button? TOG claims to have mad photoshop skills, maybe we can get him to whip up a muscled squirrel image for a button or something.

I have completed this as well. If you want to make it a challenge with more of a winner type situation, how about whoever squats the most % of their body weight at least 5 reps by the start of PAX? The winner gets awarded the prize at the group meetup at PAX, and must prove that he/she can do it by squatting someone weighing the amount the winner claims to be able to squat.

Btw, we should plan a group meetup at PAX, if only for a few minutes to compare muscles and know what each other looks like.

• degreesplatinumdegreesplatinum aka. casual_geek Registered User regular
    Robogirl wrote: »

Oh yeah, I'm sure I'm gonna die. Im probably signing up for gladiator the week before, too, as a kind of warm up

Oh man. I missed out on the Vancouver, BC Tough Mudder. Now I'm seriously tempted to put in the $ and drive down to Black Diamond just so I can do Tough Mudder this year. It looks like it will kill me, but I figured if we can set up a group to do it, that would make the pain more tolerable. :)

vgc wrote: »

I have completed this as well. If you want to make it a challenge with more of a winner type situation, how about whoever squats the most % of their body weight at least 5 reps by the start of PAX? The winner gets awarded the prize at the group meetup at PAX, and must prove that he/she can do it by squatting someone weighing the amount the winner claims to be able to squat.

Btw, we should plan a group meetup at PAX, if only for a few minutes to compare muscles and know what each other looks like.

I've tried to convince my husband to let me try deadlifting him ever since I hit his bodyweight on deadlifts, but he seems apprehensive. Also, I would love a meet-up. We just need to figure out the time/place.

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    So are people still planning to meet at the PPP? Hopefully I'll catch some of you there. I don't know about all of you, but I'm pretty much stuck in PAX anticipation mode at this point.

Also: 27lbs lighter than I started and less than a pound short of my pre-PAX goal with 3 whole weeks to go still!

1tLJUH2O.png
    gespo89 wrote: »
    So are people still planning to meet at the PPP? Hopefully I'll catch some of you there. I don't know about all of you, but I'm pretty much stuck in PAX anticipation mode at this point.

Also: 27lbs lighter than I started and less than a pound short of my pre-PAX goal with 3 whole weeks to go still!

I'd love to do the PPP, but I gotta work all day. Bleh, having a job sucks sometimes.

edited August 2012
    I'll be at the PPP. As for a meet-up now that the schedule is up what day does everyone prefer? Sunday, for me personally.

Also, I lost a pound in about 15 minutes. How, you might ask? Got myself a mohawk.

PayneTrayne on
    Also, I lost a pound in about 15 minutes. How, you might ask? Got myself a mohawk.

You don't want to know what I was thinking until I read the last sentence.

• Browncoat565Browncoat565 Registered User regular
    a little late to this group but I just saw it and thought it sounded great joined fitocracy and the group on there, and now putting in my hello on here, I was also wondering if anyone here might have some good ideas for leg muscle workouts, I'm thinking of getting into road bicycle racing next year and need to start getting myself to that next level over the winter

a little late to this group but I just saw it and thought it sounded great joined fitocracy and the group on there, and now putting in my hello on here, I was also wondering if anyone here might have some good ideas for leg muscle workouts, I'm thinking of getting into road bicycle racing next year and need to start getting myself to that next level over the winter
    Do you have access to a gym/weights or are you just looking for body weight workouts.

I have not started going to the gym yet, but there's a decent fitness gym at the trout lake community center by my place here in vancouver, completely revamped just before the olympics, will probably start going there in the next month or so because I also pretty badly need to start working on my cardio as well

In all honesty @Ravenger is probably the best person to ask, but I can still try and give you a head's up.

Assuming you're just starting up there's hamstring curls, leg extensions and leg press that'll give you a pretty decent base for just about anything. But these all require weights, so when you go to the gym you can look into starting those.

A few quick bodyweight exercises would be standing calf raises and bodyweight squats. A good a place as any to start.

sweet I'll look into those thank you, I also cycle to work but at this point it's only a cardio workout no longer a leg workout

@Browncloak565
    I'd like to recommend jumping rope. I mean real jumping rope, not just swinging your arms around and jumping like a drunken monkey. Jumping with proper form requires that the rope is a proper length (handles at your armpits), keeping your hands close to your body and turning with your wrists, not your arms, and doing quick, low jumps. Don't double jump. I have pretty strong legs and I attribute a lot of that to jumping rope. It's good cardio too and with enough practice, you can do tricks and such, whch breaks the monotony.

• thorhanksthorhanks Registered User regular
    Lurker here. Would also like to have a quick meetup at PAX. It would be fun to meet you all in person and compare notes, even though I'm still a fitness/lifting noob. Sunday is a great day for it since everything starts winding down anyway.

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular

squats for days. squats, squats squats. and deadlifts. but make sure youre doing them right :)

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
    Squats are so awesome. I love that in about 3-4 months I've gone from having a hard time doing body weight squats to packing 155 lbs on my back. And yes I know 155 is still pitiful especially for a 6'4" guy like me, but I can't wait to see where I'll be a year from now. Also it's so amazing to actually have some lower back and leg strength. It will be nice to be able to walk around PAX all day and not have my back in constant discomfort.

• AlikaAlika GoneCross Registered User regular

I second this notion of body weight % squats and people-squatting proofs.

Is there anybody that wants to meet up that will not be at PPP?

I will be too busy being a nerd the week of PAX to do any serious lifting. sorryz

@Ravenger, I think we all will. That doesn't mean that you should drop out of the challenge! It sounds like you're a serious squatter and you'd be a strong contender!

@Alika
    Do you mean meeting up during PAX or before? I won't be able to make the PPP. I like the idea of a fitness meetup on Sunday. How does 1pm on the Sunday of PAX sound for everyone? It can be short.

edited August 2012
    @Ravenger, I think we all will. That doesn't mean that you should drop out of the challenge! It sounds like you're a serious squatter and you'd be a strong contender!

@Alika
    Do you mean meeting up during PAX or before? I won't be able to make the PPP. I like the idea of a fitness meetup on Sunday. How does 1pm on the Sunday of PAX sound for everyone? It can be short.

I do squat regularly, but for whatever reason I have never been able to lift anything super heavy. I am far better at deadlifting

Ravenger on
    This actually brings me to another question. I can't think of a single hotel that has freeweight squat racks. *Huge* liability for the hotel

1 on Sunday sounds good to me. I don't really have a lay of the land as it's my first PAX, what's a good landmark to meet by?

1:00 on Sunday sounds good to me. Now for the where...

How about the fountain right between the escalators and the entrance?

Is there a lot of traffic there?

Yeah, there is. There will be tons of people just sitting there hanging out or eating or getting from one place to another. Now that i think about it, a better alternative would be a little lounging area on the ground floor. It's by a bunch of elevators. If you walk in through the main entrance and face the fountain and the escalators, you turn right and walk down a few stairs and it'll be to the left. There's a security(?) desk and like 5 chairs in a little area. There will be elevators to parking and other floors. Any thoughts on this?

PayneTrayne, do you have Twitter? It might be a good idea to set up a Twitter for the fitness group, so we can keep in touch during PAX or communicate if the location changes for whatever reason.

I have Twitter, as a Canadian I'll be relying on WiFi at PAX though, won't be able to use my phone.

• SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular

Way to go Mogs! I am nearly there, though I've been gaining weight, pushing the goal higher and higher.

You've earned a beer (or other drink of your choosing). If there is a meetup, I'll be sure to buy you one!

• SquirrelOnFireSquirrelOnFire Just this guy, you know? SeattleRegistered User regular

I have completed this as well.

Similarly, way to go VGC. Guess I'll have to buy a few beers at that meetup. Good on ya!

I have Twitter, as a Canadian I'll be relying on WiFi at PAX though, won't be able to use my phone.

Ah, okay.

I looked up the floor plan for the Convention Center. You can view it here:
    http://www.wsctc.com/pdfs/floor_plans/FloorPlansCapacitiesDimensionsOctober2010.pdf

The area that I'm looking at is on the first page, near the top. It's in front of the area labeled "Office Tower".

Is anybody going to any other Pre PAX events? We can look out for each other there without doing a formal meeetup.

The fountain is a meeting spot for everybody and their mothers. What about a nearby location?

edited August 2012
    I second vgc's idea, that's a good place to meetup. It's always an empty area.

thorhanks on
  • rainingvodkarainingvodka Registered User new member
    Looking to do a 14ish mile easy training run while in town for PAX. ("rest" week in my 50miler trainup schedule)

looking to do 9-10 minute miles over a hilly course as of yet to be determined. Hoping to find someone who has suggestions?

maybe this is a bit excessive for a lot of folks but if that strikes a chord with anyone let me know! PM me!

I realize I'm new to this group but that sounds like an excellent meetup spot it is always empty! I'd love to meet up and compare workout techniques and muscles... I'm also curious what everyone is doing for exercise during the weekend I think I might have to let it go for those few days

This discussion has been closed.