As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[FFXIV] Things are starting to shape up!

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    I don't check every retainer, I use the search function. I'm just saying that since so many of the retainers are justplaceholders that people don't want to have removed and have something that's not actually for sale, and doesn't get restocked, even the most basic gear seems impossible to find. In fact I've had better luck finding gear I've been after in Limsa than I have in Ul'dah.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

Oh, and I didn't know about the renting stalls thing.

How do you go about doing that? Is it something you can set to auto renew or do you have to go back every day to rent it?

I have so much crap on my retainer right now, most of it probably isn't worth a dime. You just get so much loot from killing and leve rewards.

• draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    You just walk up to one of the stalls in the wards and you 'll get a menu option to rent it similar to summoning a retainer. It doesnt auto renew which is why you can usually find one open. However once theres a few hours left you can renew your lease for another 24 hours so if you're willing to at least check it once a day you can keep it indefinetly. Thats what I did at least before I finally got a spot for my 2 retainers. I constantly restock mine tho in an effort to earn/save gil for 2.0, it's pretty much what I spend most of my time doing

• JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    Still debating on whether the game will be worth picking up for 2.0 ... I still have a bad taste in my mouth from beta... Then again I suppose I could always find a copy for like $10 I bet.

Have they shown anything of what the new world maps are like? Do the worlds feel more alive and immersive now? I hated how the original game felt so barren -- cookie-cutter camps, no other signs of civilization basically, etc. Is it still all based around limited leves then you sit on your thumb for 48hrs?

edited August 2012
    Just FYI: Gobbue Mount will be gone for good with 1.23a which, according to SE should go live Monday Aug 13th unless there's some unforseen delay.

You have one week to get to 30 and get it.

So I have one week go get 5 more levels. I should have rest for all those damn levels so should be easy enough. As long as I can find some flipping gear to upgrade with.

EDIT: also saw this: Content that will be discontinued with 2.0

List boils down to:
    Gobbue Mount
    Guild Marks
    Achievements (like...most of them, kinda an odd thing to even bother adding...)
    Replayable Cutscenes
    Character Histories (mainly a Lodestone thing)

EDIT EDIT: So does anyone know where I can find a list or something of the 'main' story quests that will likely be gone for good with 2.0 and what is the minimum level you need to be to do them? I just want to know what is feasable for me to see before 2.0 goes live, story wise (though I know there will always be youtube).

The Dude With Herpes on

• baconchocolatebaconchocolate Registered User regular
    I got 22 con, 17 weaver and 9 thm fairly quickly. though I don't think I can get 30 by monday :(

With rest I'm finding I get about 3/4 of a level with 4 leves at my level; and that only takes about 20-25m or so; I could probably bust out those last 5 levels in a good night if I had the time set aside (which I don't); but I think I'll try to get at least a level a day and grab the gobbue this weekend.

With a 22 con, you should be able to hit 30 before monday if you spent a few hours on it, particularly if you have rest.

• baconchocolatebaconchocolate Registered User regular
    Unfortunetely, I have a busier week than usual, thus any downtime would be spent on self-hygiene and sleep. Hopefully a more awesome mount will come out soon (C'mon moogles)!

• NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    They mentioned offhandedly Magitech armor as a mount at one point. That would rule.

• GooglywormGooglyworm Registered User regular
    Another 2.0 trailer. No gameplay as of yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMrFXcqvk4

• S-StarwindS-Starwind Registered User regular
    Got 2 of the pieces to my dragoon armour set today. The legs will need some assistance as they're in a level 50 inhabited mine, and the last piece will require at least a 4 man party. Got the helmet and the greaves so far. Bit of sneaking about. Hadn't actually been in mor dhona (?) before.

XBLive GamerTag - II The Starwind (Playing - Halo 4, Dungeon Defeners)
    PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Final Fantasy XIV - Masamune Server (Moving to Sargantanas) - Rykosho Hoshikaze
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    I'll come with you to the mine, needing to get that piece too. Will try get you on my days off.

Cool. I have all next week off work so shouldn't be hard to work out a time.

PSN ID - S-Starwind (Playing Super Street Fighter IV Arcade Edition, Gundam Battle Ops)
    Steam ID - The Starwind
    Got my gobbue earlier. Pretty neat but holy crap it takes up the whole damn screen. Have to go into first person to use it.

Only semi-related, the black shroud is the most miserable clusterfuck of a region in an mmo. Its like someone had a massive hardon for yhoat/yutungha in XI and went nuts.

Oy, just looked it up, the story and Grand company quests go up to level 46/45 and sounds like many of them need parties.

What timeline would I be looking at from level 30 to get up there? And even if I did, would having only one class, and no others, leveled make me completely gimp?

I Just want to see all the in-game story stuff before 2.0 hits if at all possible, but if getting the last 20 levels is gonna be onerous, meh.

Man up! get those levels. if only so I have another person to party with :P
    As long as you keep your gear relevant to your level then you should have no problem gaining levels with leves.
    Being a lancer I don't know how effective I'd be able to offer power levelling. I'm not actually 50 yet anyway but should reach it in my week off.

Steam ID - The Starwind
  • draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    The main story quests are all soloable, think the last one is lvl 46. When they were designed you were suposed to be able to do them on Disciple of Hand and Land classes too so most don't require fighting and the ones that do usually have a gimmick.

The Grand Company quests are mostly solo till you at least get your chocobo. Then theres a few that will require 3-4 people, and the very last 2 will require full groups and are actually decently challenging

There's noticeable xp boosts in mobs at lvl 31 and 41, I technially find it easier leveling at 40+ than below 40

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Is this game free to play? It seems like they've really fixed (or tried to fix) the issues it had at launch, so I'm a bit tempted to try it, but only if there's no subscription involved.

edited August 2012
    Nope, it's pay; but 2.0 beta will start soon-ish (I think they were targeting sometime in Sept?), and the current game will become unavailable to play till 2.0 goes live, which I think is gonna be like, christmas time or maybe even early 2013? But current subs get into the beta I think.

You'll notice a lot of "i thinks". That's because I kinda let the game drop off the world when I couldn't get the beta to barely run on my pc and for the short time I did there was nothing to do. So I didn't follow news regularly; someone else will know better.

But, right now there's actually quite a bit of content. I mean, it doesn't hold a candle (content-wise) to more mature MMO's, but I haven't felt like there is anything resembling a lack of things to do each time I've logged on.

When 2.0 goes live it'll have normal mmo pricing ($15/mo) but if you had subbed 90+ days (paid, not free) prior to that you get the Legacy pricing making it $10/mo; but it's too late to get on that if you hadn't already paid a few months.

The Dude With Herpes on

• AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    At this point merely being F2P probably wouldn't bring many people back. They'd have to run a decent advertising campaign on how "it's totally not what we launched with now" as well as a bunch of other things.

• NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Ah, that's a bummer. I signed up for that year of WoW = free D3 thing last fall, only to be incredibly disappointed in D3 (couldn't get myself to play past Chapter 1) and sick of WoW in general, but still on the hook for it until October.

Not one of my better purchases. :lol:

• EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    they are actually upping the sub fee pricing? I thought they wanted people to come back to the game...not leave it.

PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
    Well, I don't think they ever intended for the current price to be so low; and I don't think they intended for the game to have to relaunch 2 years after the fact.

It's a higher price than currently, yes; but most people who currently subscribe will get the Legacy account so their sub prices won't change anyway.

There's an "entry" sub fee that's the same as the base FFXI sub ($13) that only allows you 1 character on a server, but the $15 one (and the $10 Legacy one) gives you 8 characters per server...not sure why you'd really want that though unless they're getting rid of retainers entirely.

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The Dude, did you say they're taking everything offline for several months while they work on the relaunch?

What is this I don't even.
  • SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    I bought this game around release, and haven't played it since, but i'm interested about all this relaunch stuff. Is there a way for me to get a free week scroll of ressurrection thing?

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • burningthoughtburningthought EorzeaRegistered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The Dude, did you say they're taking everything offline for several months while they work on the relaunch?

Yoshi mentioned that migrating the data from 1.0 to 2.0 (character data basically) can take upwards to a month. I believe while all the data is being converted or whatever, they will be hosting the 2.0 closed beta and open betas. This is why they stopped carrying the 90-day sub last month, and will be starting the 3 month free trial while they do all the testing and preparations.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    Seems like they're bringing back the free trial period for new subscribers in November. That's when 2.0 beta launches. Although they call it a closed beta it seems like they'll be offering the free trials, so maybe it'll be a large group for the beta?

http://gdl.square-enix.com/ffxiv/download/en/FFXIV_2.0_Roadmap_EN.pdf

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Hmmm...is there some sort of source out there? I was about to buy it but I'm not sure right now.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
    Finally, some ingame screenshots. Looking very nice indeed.

http://xivwiki.com/wiki/Screenshots

edited August 2012
    Spoilered for huge.
    Gamescom_01.jpg
    Gamescom_02.jpg
    Gamescom_03.jpg
    Gamescom_04.jpg
    Gamescom_06.jpg
    Gamescom_07.jpg
    Gamescom_08.jpg
    Gamescom_09.jpg
    Gamescom_11.jpg
    Gamescom_12.jpg
    Gamescom_13.jpg
    Gamescom_10.jpg

Apologies for the double post :(

Googlyworm on
    edited August 2012
    Oh my! I love the "this is all the shit you have aggroed" on the left side of the ui. Digging the font too, sleek.

And this:
    Screenshot02.jpg

Neurotika on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Man, that is the game I meant to buy...

What is this I don't even.
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Any news on how people who have bought this game when it first came out will be able to play this? I'd expect some new installer for the new game in my account page rather than having to install old FFXIV from the disc.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM6bi4RP25o

Gamescom footage, now with German narration.

WE JUMPING NOW

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    What in the heck are all those green and orange dots on the bottom right for?

Does the beta have a date yet? Or the final version?

edited August 2012
    I'm pretty sure they're just testing things for the devs.

EDIT: And no, and no.

There's gonna be, at least, a 1.23b coming (I think a was monday), not sure about a 1.24, but probably? I don't think their intro storyline is complete; but I'm pretty sure they're wrapping things up. I'll be surprised if it's still live past September. As far as a final version, no, but I think they're aiming for this year for the PC version, and early next for the PS3, but someone else probably knows better.

EDIT EDIT: And the little they've shown from Gamescom, in screens and in the shakycam vids, that single area looks more diverse and interesting than most of the world in the live game.

Whenever I load up XI after playing XIV a bit it is crazy how profoundly more interesting the zones in XI are, a 10 year old game. Handcrafted zones go a long way; XI has the most interesting zones (IMO anyway) in any MMO out there; I'm not sure why they went in so many other directions for XIV.

But, a lot of the additions to the current game and 2.0 previews have been pretty promising.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular

Whenever I load up XI after playing XIV a bit it is crazy how profoundly more interesting the zones in XI are, a 10 year old game. Handcrafted zones go a long way; XI has the most interesting zones (IMO anyway) in any MMO out there; I'm not sure why they went in so many other directions for XIV.

You can make this same case with other recent FF games and some of the more beloved classics in the series. I'll refrain from bringing up that argument here.

But the reasoning is the same: profound arrogance. SE knew they had something half-assed but figured it was worth releasing in the state it was for those early subscribers and worry about patching it later. It didn't occur to them that what they had didn't even account for half an ass.

2.0's storyline is practically self referential, comparing the near-destruction and rebirth of Eorzea to the actual process behind the game. It's surprising that Square is being so upfront about how wrong they've been.

But this is a good thing. Condemn FFXIV. Spit on it. Hate it. Call it pure evil. The angrier you get, the more they strive to win back your love.

I just wish FFXIII got the same kind of attention. Maybe FFXIII-3 will be a similar miracle.

What in the heck are all those green and orange dots on the bottom right for?

Does the beta have a date yet? Or the final version?

Well, I suspect the large orange orbs are for the various menus. During the 2.0 announcment/powerpoint document, I recall that the green/red grids in the lower right had something to do with inventory. Like each of those are slots in your bag and it might indicate consumables that are running low or durability or something.

• DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular

You can make this same case with other recent FF games and some of the more beloved classics in the series. I'll refrain from bringing up that argument here.

But the reasoning is the same: profound arrogance. SE knew they had something half-assed but figured it was worth releasing in the state it was for those early subscribers and worry about patching it later. It didn't occur to them that what they had didn't even account for half an ass.

2.0's storyline is practically self referential, comparing the near-destruction and rebirth of Eorzea to the actual process behind the game. It's surprising that Square is being so upfront about how wrong they've been.

But this is a good thing. Condemn FFXIV. Spit on it. Hate it. Call it pure evil. The angrier you get, the more they strive to win back your love.

I just wish FFXIII got the same kind of attention. Maybe FFXIII-3 will be a similar miracle.

Well, don't call it a miracle yet, though I am cautiously optimistic.

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular

Well, don't call it a miracle yet, though I am cautiously optimistic.

This whole thing is interesting for several reasons. FFXIII was, at most, merely divisive - problematic, but not objectively terrible to the extent XIV would be - so Square could sort of limp along business as usual, and had XIV been even passable it might have continued doing so. Failing so badly, so visibly, may have given them reason to take a long (and long overdue) look in the mirror. I might be reading too much into it, but it does seem like they're taking this all very seriously. That's one of the reasons I'm also cautiously optimistic.

Really, this would all be fascinating even if I had no intention of playing the game. It's basically going against every bit of conventional MMO wisdom at once, to the extent such a thing exists. No MMO ever recovers from a bad first impression, but they're trying to do just that. They usually don't get rebuilt from the ground up after launch, either; the effort is probably unprecedented unless I'm missing an example. And they're even sticking with the subscription model as opposed to going F2P. If this were a movie about a has-been sports hero trying to make a comeback, we'd be in the middle of a training montage following the initial loss.

It's one hell of an experiment, I'll say that much. No idea if it'll work - if Vegas were taking bets I wouldn't touch the table at gunpoint - but I have to respect the attempt.

kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine