As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kickstarters for the Stretch Goals

Tobias Greymerus Tobias Greymerus Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this...but I'm just trying to gauge others out there and how they feel.

I personally don't really care about the ads on Penny Arcade. Years of internet browsing has trained me to ignore ads entirely.

However, those higher up stretch goals... I want.

Specifically I want the return of a podcast (be it DLC or D&D or both) and I'd have gladly payed a LOT more to reach that goal if it was standalone. Same with the Lookouts stuff.

Who would like to see individual kickstarters for the stretch goals? And...anyone have any idea why the podcast was way up at nearly 800k? /boggle

Tobias Greymerus on

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Most likely due to the time it would take.

But having a KS for the content makes a lot of sense considering what Gabe said about PA Presents. I'd like to see them do a KS that would, if funded, basically "buy" a PA Presents contract for them to work on some concept as chosen by the funders.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    Tobias Greymerus Tobias Greymerus Registered User regular
    Most likely due to the time it would take.

But having a KS for the content makes a lot of sense considering what Gabe said about PA Presents. I'd like to see them do a KS that would, if funded, basically "buy" a PA Presents contract for them to work on some concept as chosen by the funders.

I suppose the time would come from editing it? I don't know, seems it'd be MUCH cheaper than the show they currently run, and deliver more content to the users. They just have to hit record and let it go.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    I'd donate to a Kickstarter that was for a full length Automata graphic novel

For six pages though I pretty much just shrugged and went on my way

• Options
    ishmogishmog Registered User regular
    I think that's a great idea, and it's really more in line with how they have been pitching the thing all along. I mean, no ads is nice, I guess, but are they seriously going to raise half a million dollars on Kickstarter every year just for that? I think most people are pretty well adjusted to the ads, and most of those that they show don't really take up their time that some of the other side-projects must. It's not like Gabe is hand-crafting all the banner ads every day.

Actually, I had been a little worried they wouldn't meet the "no ads on front page" threshold, because then you have a bunch of donors thinking "Wait, I have to kick in this much again next year and STILL look at ads, with only one lousy Automata strip to show for it?" So I'm glad they squeaked it over that line.

But if they run a campaign again next year, I'd much rather see specific projects funded (and be much more willing to contribute more directly to the ones I liked) rather than having it all bundled around ad-removal.

• Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I think what they do over the next year now that they'll have no ads on the frontpage will be a good justification (or not) for how well this may do next year. Although it is a little odd that they say they like this Lookouts idea so much that they're just going to do it anyway. Didn't need a Kickstarter to do that...

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast