As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime Pinball Wizards

Bladed CicadaBladed Cicada Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in PAX West
Hey everyone, so I can't remember there ever being a pinball meetup on here. And with arcades largely starting with pinball, I'd like to gauge interest on starting one. Seattle is quite the NW pinball Mecca so there are tons of places we can go including places that aren't too far from the convention center. For right now, just trying to see how many people would be interested and what their preferences are. Tourney? Just for funsies? Pinball bar crawl? Dress up as wizards and have even more running around Seattle? Once we have an idea of how many people would like to join in then we can start talking times, date, location etc.

All levels of skill are welcome!

What better way to find a new gaming obsession than with your fellow PAX goers?

Thanks!

zerzhul on

• Options
    Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind meeting up with some other pinball lovers. I'm not great myself, but I love the games anyway. If nothing else I'd love to learn about this "pinball Mecca" and where some of these Seattle places are. =)

• Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Count me in. I collect obsessions, and pinballing is one of my minor league compulsions.

I could go for a general get together with impromptu tournaments.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    RichSoCashRichSoCash Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    What places have pinball, how many and which tables?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I'll update a little more thoroughly tomorrow but for an idea of locations and such check out the local pinball zine skill-shot's site at www.skill-shot.com. They have a pretty extensive and up to date list of places, their location and what tables they have.

Bladed Cicada on
  • Options
    hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular
    im so down! love me some pinball!

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Ok so a little extra info about places we can go.

The closest place to convention center is Shorty's. They have newer tables including batman and the LE ac/dc table which is pretty awesome. It's about half a mile from the CC though they are the most expensive operator in town with many games at 75 cents per game. It's a cool place with hot dogs, alcohol and booth table made from old pins. 21+

The Seattle Pinball Museum is located in the id/china town and has about 40 tables ranging from the birth of pinball to modern day ones. It's all ages, is a flat $10 entry for unlimited plays and also serves soda, snacks and beer. About a mile or so from the CC.

The newly opened Narwhal, in the basement of the unicorn bar, has about 10 or so tables of the newer variety which are operated by shorty's (75 cents). This is another bar so 21+ here too. The interior is done with old ferris wheel seats and other salvaged carnival stuffs. This is on capitol hill on pine, about a mile up the road from the CC.

Full tilt ice cream has serveral locations, the largest being in ballard which is about 5-7 miles from the CC. While a little further away, they have close to 20 great machines including Dracula, Johnny Mneumonic and Lord of the Rings. They also have some import arcades as well as a rotating selection of amazing ice cream made in house. Last I tried corn bread and honey ice cream. It blew my mind. This place is all ages and sports 50 cent machines.

Lastly, for now, there's add-a-ball over in Fremont which is about 5 miles from the CC. This is arguably my favorite hang out in the city. The owners are great guys, they have older machines that are just 25 cent machines and also have good selection of arcade machines. Some of my favorite tables are here including Twilight Zone, Bride of Pinbot, the stern Indiana Jones table and the cleanest Champion Pub I've ever played. They also have zeke's peak. Just go ahead and google that game. Fantastic. This is also a bar so 21+ here as well.

For a current list of games and tables at all these locations you can visit www.skill-shot.com and click on the pinball list tab.

More to come and still open to suggestions!

Bladed Cicada on
  • Options
    hyrulehero96hyrulehero96 The Hero of Rhyme Registered User regular

The closest place to convention center is Shorty's. They have newer tables including batman and the LE ac/dc table which is pretty awesome. It's about half a mile from the CC though they are the most expensive operator in town with many games at 75 cents per game. It's a cool place with hot dogs, alcohol and booth table made from old pins. 21+

The Seattle Pinball Museum is located in the id/china town and has about 40 tables ranging from the birth of pinball to modern day ones. It's all ages, is a flat $10 entry for unlimited plays and also serves soda, snacks and beer. About a mile or so from the CC.

The newly opened Narwhal, in the basement of the unicorn bar, has about 10 or so tables of the newer variety which are operated by shorty's (75 cents). This is another bar so 21+ here too. The interior is done with old ferris wheel seats and other salvaged carnival stuffs. This is on capitol hill on pine, about a mile up the road from the CC.

Full tilt ice cream has serveral locations, the largest being in ballard which is about 5-7 miles from the CC. While a little further away, they have close to 20 great machines including Dracula, Johnny Mneumonic and Lord of the Rings. They also have some import arcades as well as a rotating selection of amazing ice cream made in house. Last I tried corn bread and honey ice cream. It blew my mind. This place is all ages and sports 50 cent machines.

Lastly, for now, there's add-a-ball over in Fremont which is about 5 miles from the CC. This is arguably my favorite hang out in the city. The owners are great guys, they have older machines that are just 25 cent machines and also have good selection of arcade machines. Some of my favorite tables are here including Twilight Zone, Bride of Pinbot, the stern Indiana Jones table and the cleanest Champion Pub I've ever played. They also have zeke's peak. Just go ahead and google that game. Fantastic. This is also a bar so 21+ here as well.

For a current list of games and tables at all these locations you can visit www.skill-shot.com and click on the pinball list tab.

I used to love going to shorty's, but the time i went there people were very rude and the bartender was a complete A-hole and the drinks were not good at all. Not sure if this was a one time thing or just how it is there now.

Slim, Relax, Fine Wine At The Qfc, On A Snowy Saturday Night

My Body Is always Reggie
  • Options

I used to love going to shorty's, but the time i went there people were very rude and the bartender was a complete A-hole and the drinks were not good at all. Not sure if this was a one time thing or just how it is there now.

Yeah, shorty's is always hit or miss for me. The bartenders can be surly and it can be crowded. Not my favorite place but they do have some good tables that aren't anywhere else. That and it's the closest to where I assume most people are staying. I'm local so I have no qualms going elsewhere.

• Options
    courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular
    We had a really bad bartender experience at Shorty's. It was my husband's fault for being drunk and not realizing that 50 cents on a drink is a bad tip, but the guy tracked us down in the back and threw the 2 quarters on top of the machine so they bounced off onto the floor while yelling "YOU FORGOT YOUR CHANGE" and stormed off. We left immediately thereafter.

• Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    These dudes are bringing us some pinball at PAX Prime, they'll be on the third floor of the WSCC.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    heels wrote: »
    These dudes are bringing us some pinball at PAX Prime, they'll be on the third floor of the WSCC.

Guess I know where I'll be when I'm not in a panel. =D

• Options
    edited August 2012

Awesome! These guys typically provide games you can't play publicly in Seattle. Do we still want to do a pre pax meet up at another venue? Sounds like there're a few bad experiences with shorty's and the next closest would be the Seattle Pinball Museum. I was thinking that thursday would work as long as it's not too much of a conflict with other events. They're open from 6-9 on that day but if I talk to them and we have enough people they may stay open a little later and might open up their upstairs which I've actually never seen before? And they might still have the new x-men table by then. Thoughts?

Bladed Cicada on
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Oh geez, let's just hit these guys. Where are they on the schedule?

6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular

:O All my free time has suddenly disappeared.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    jonxp wrote: »

:O All my free time has suddenly disappeared.

Ditto! I loves me some Pinball (I used to be decent at Fun House when my university put a machine in the building I worked in. I'd get quarters by the roll.)
    So 3rd floor eh? Isn't that tabletop or somesuch?

• Options
    jaberwockynmtjaberwockynmt PAX Info Booth Manager Renton, WARegistered User regular
    For future reference (and I guess mostly useful for locals), there's a PINBALL CONVENTION in Seattle every summer (June usually). http://www.nwpinballshow.com/

--Jarrod "Jaberwocky" Lombardo, PAX Enforcer: Info Booth Manager.
    "We know that the moment we slip, it will be taken away... and so it is of the utmost importance to be worthy of it constantly."
    PAX will always be held on the best weekend for PAX. Sometimes that will be a bad weekend for you; I'm sorry.
  • Options
    For future reference (and I guess mostly useful for locals), there's a PINBALL CONVENTION in Seattle every summer (June usually). http://www.nwpinballshow.com/

yes! This event is great every year. They usually have rare machines as well as all sorts of classic arcades. I got to play on the proto-type wizard of oz machine this year, which was pretty much a pinball wet dream. Would highly advise this event!

• Options
    QuintiousQuintious Registered User regular

It's a dive bar, that's how it's supposed to work :P.

On Shorty's: The one complaint I have there is that they've let a lot of their machines go to pot over the last year or so. I was just in there about a month ago and the Addams Family game was almost completely busted, the KISS machine was toasted, and the Tron machine had major issues.

• Options
    tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Quintious wrote: »

It's a dive bar, that's how it's supposed to work :P.

On Shorty's: The one complaint I have there is that they've let a lot of their machines go to pot over the last year or so. I was just in there about a month ago and the Addams Family game was almost completely busted, the KISS machine was toasted, and the Tron machine had major issues.

GAH! I hate places that let their pinball go to crap. Know when you get a machine or machines those things tend to need tons of maintance (Which is why you a) likely shouldn't rely on them to be revenue generating on their own, i.e. they should draw people to buy more beer to offset the cost of having one and b) consider merely renting them from someone who will spend the time and effort to maintain them.

This discussion has been closed.