As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mass Effect] OLD THREAD LEAVE GO BYE SEE YA

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    the hurricane's clip size is weirdly low, given how fast it fires. It does a lot of damage in quick little bursts though, especially with the armor mod.

I got an eagle 2, which is better than another crusader I suppose. Am I dumb for thinking the eagle is pretty nice? I kind of prefer it to the carnifex on my adepts, now

The Eagle can be a better pistol than the Carnifex at equal levels, but no one has it that high. The Hurricane's clip size is even half of what it appears, since (for no apparent reason) it uses two rounds per shot, so really it's starting clip is 20. The wiki also claims that makes the heatsink super effective because it regenerates two ammo each time it triggers, but since it takes two ammo to fire that seems like typical dumb wiki business.

I guess it depends on whether the heatsink triggers once or twice when the two ammo is expended.

I'd assume once, but Bioware HAS made some rather baffling decisions in this game.

The heatsink would have to trigger twice for each two-ammo-shot, and then it would have to regenerate two ammo for each triggered regeneration for it to have any added benefit

I'm inclined to agree with SoundsPlush on the wiki business, but I haven't tested it

nor will I

ever

Pretty sure that's what I said?

• Options
    PLAPLA The process.Registered User regular
    Hurricane I and Omni-Capacitors III. :)

• Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Phoenix138 wrote: »

awesome! heard it also adds to the endings

• Options
    Turian Soldier with firerate-spec, magazine and barrel, plus SMG Amp I. Fun.

• Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    the hurricane's clip size is weirdly low, given how fast it fires. It does a lot of damage in quick little bursts though, especially with the armor mod.

I got an eagle 2, which is better than another crusader I suppose. Am I dumb for thinking the eagle is pretty nice? I kind of prefer it to the carnifex on my adepts, now

The Eagle can be a better pistol than the Carnifex at equal levels, but no one has it that high. The Hurricane's clip size is even half of what it appears, since (for no apparent reason) it uses two rounds per shot, so really it's starting clip is 20. The wiki also claims that makes the heatsink super effective because it regenerates two ammo each time it triggers, but since it takes two ammo to fire that seems like typical dumb wiki business.

I guess it depends on whether the heatsink triggers once or twice when the two ammo is expended.

I'd assume once, but Bioware HAS made some rather baffling decisions in this game.

The heatsink would have to trigger twice for each two-ammo-shot, and then it would have to regenerate two ammo for each triggered regeneration for it to have any added benefit

I'm inclined to agree with SoundsPlush on the wiki business, but I haven't tested it

nor will I

ever

Oh, I wrote what I assumed you meant but hadn't explicitly stated in your post (that two ammo is regenerated for each individual trigger of the heatsink)

I was just clarifying, not correcting you

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular

Sweet. My Shepard shall destroy the world again soon.

• Options

nor will I

ever

Oh, I wrote what I assumed you meant but hadn't explicitly stated in your post (that two ammo is regenerated for each individual trigger of the heatsink)

I was just clarifying, not correcting you

Ahh, got it. I just got confused :)

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    eahenryii wrote: »
    Ender wrote: »
    i think the shadow

properly played

is one of the best additions to the game

simply because the gameplay is different and interesting

and you can still be an asset

while not crouched behind cover next to your "friends"

i've resorted to reading your posts in William Shatner's voice.

NICE

• Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    So the Striker...I love in on my Destroyer, however the ammo capacity sucks. Does the Thermal Clip gear + mod help this at all or is it a marginal number?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Isn't the striker one of those ARs that suck post-nerf. Or was that the falcon...? I've tried the striker a couple of times and it's just not quick enough in dealing death.

• Options
    Peff wrote: »
    So the Striker...I love in on my Destroyer, however the ammo capacity sucks. Does the Thermal Clip gear + mod help this at all or is it a marginal number?

striker rocks

i use extended mag V and thermal cap V

which gives me 25 in the chamber

and 78 backup

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular

The thermal chip for ARs is actually quite meh on everything but a few.

It doesn't increase the weapons max ammo, it only increases its magazine size.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    Striker wasn't nerfed, it was just meh from the beginning.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    The Striker was never particularly impressive, but it is a lot of fun. I think the general advice on the grenade guns is to rely on ammo types to set up large swaths of crowd control and tech bursts. As mentioned, the thermal clip increase changes the clip size, not the spare ammo capacity, but since the Striker's RoF increases the longer it's firing the mag upgrade nearly doubling your clip is still pretty important.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »

for the striker

that rocks

because you get more shots at max damage

seriously

test it out, it works really well

like a rapid-fire falcon

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    striker's pretty fun with an adrenaline rushing soldier

You run out of ammo fast, so you gotta stay near ammo boxes, but you can deal out some nice area damage. Especially if you've got a nice ammo consumable equipped

And considering how easy it is to get ammo 4's now...

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    strikers actually pretty reasonable on a destroyer now, given the rof and mag bonuses

obviously it disnae compete numerically with the harrier/typhoon/ppr but its fun, id say its at least worth taking out for a spin to see what you think of it. also the stagger on human-sized enemies is decent and im p certain it applies ammo effects in an area like the falcon

• Options
    ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    Ender wrote: »

for the striker

that rocks

because you get more shots at max damage

seriously

test it out, it works really well

like a rapid-fire falcon

I am now using the Christopher Walken voice.

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • Options

Not QUITE true. You get the extra ammo in your starting magazine.

Harrier 1 - 20 mag/80 spare
    Harrier 1 w/ thermal clip - 36 mag/80 spare

• Options
    psolmspsolms Registered User regular
    so last night I unlocked an N7 Slayer.

I need help playing this class properly. My human vanguard I just throw a light shotgun on there, and nova->charge until everything is dead (i know its lame but damnit, it works). i mostly play on bronze, but have been getting into more and more silver games recently. dont have a lot of gear, or weapons, or characters. i tried doing the same shotgun build as my human vanguard but i felt like the slayer was more fragile in close combat (which is crazy cause the melee is fantastical)

anyways, i need help playing this class.

• Options
    psolms wrote: »

I need help playing this class properly. My human vanguard I just throw a light shotgun on there, and nova->charge until everything is dead (i know its lame but damnit, it works). i mostly play on bronze, but have been getting into more and more silver games recently. dont have a lot of gear, or weapons, or characters. i tried doing the same shotgun build as my human vanguard but i felt like the slayer was more fragile in close combat (which is crazy cause the melee is fantastical)

I haven't unlocked him, but I think there's two ways to play him. Both involve using a light weapon.

1) Spam Biotic Slash through a wall.
    2) Use Palm Blaster and then Biotic Charge to refresh your shields. Repeat

• Options
    envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    Slayer is like a non-charging vanguard. Just spam biotic slash.

• Options
    psolms wrote: »

I haven't unlocked him, but I think there's two ways to play him. Both involve using a light weapon.

1) Spam Biotic Slash through a wall.
    2) Use Palm Blaster and then Biotic Charge to refresh your shields. Repeat

charge/palm blast/melee/charge

also works

• Options

And this is why a future in which Shepard and Jack stole the Normandy and became pirates is awesome.

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    A friend of mine says he charges into groups and then uses Biotic Slash since it has an AOE stagger centered around your character

Apparently he does this on Gold, but I don't have a Slayer so I can't test for myself

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    Wyborn wrote: »
    A friend of mine says he charges into groups and then uses Biotic Slash since it has an AOE stagger centered around your character

Apparently he does this on Gold, but I don't have a Slayer so I can't test for myself

uh

really

because biotic slash has like

the longest

longest

longest fucking windup time

in gold?

you wouldn't get halfway through the animation before you were dead

• Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Yeah, as someone who avidly plays both Slash classes, I'd have to say there's no viable way to windup out in the open.

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Now I know the AOE stagger thing works, I use it on my Shadow against the geth on gold from time to time, I just don't know if it works as a general application.

The stagger lasts longer than the animation, though, and the attack itself staggers them again

dN0T6ur.png
  • Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular

And this is why a future in which Shepard and Jack stole the Normandy and became pirates is awesome.

that's the real reason why Shep was under house arrest

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    These thread titles have been rather negative lately

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular

it's what fans do!

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

I've been feeling extra cynical lately.

This one isn't meant to be negative really; just that I don't believe we actually got those extractions. If anything it's positive because they're having pity on us and giving us free victory packs.

The previous one was cynical because I'm sick of weekend events with the goal being extractions. extractionextractionextractionextractionextractionextractionextractionextractionextraction

Nothing else to aim for at all. Booooooooring. But I doubt they have the infrastructure to do anything more interesting anymore without a major DLC pushing it out there for new gamemodes.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I think the numbers were real if the report of them being pulled from Friday evening is right, and then it's just a case of typical miscommunication in issuing an update halfway through based on data from the first night. One third completion the first night makes the total for three days easily understandable, it's just that again, Chris Priestly lives in a tragic semi-life in which he was cursed by a vengeful hobgoblin with 15% signal:noise.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    envoy1 wrote: »

Pretty much this, you're in luck this is a really easy class to do well on. Just max biotic Slash first.. spam through walls, around corners, in bad guy's faces.. it does insane damage and you can hit mobs really far away.

• Options

I've been feeling extra cynical lately.

This one isn't meant to be negative really; just that I don't believe we actually got those extractions. If anything it's positive because they're having pity on us and giving us free victory packs.

The previous one was cynical because I'm sick of weekend events with the goal being extractions. extractionextractionextractionextractionextractionextractionextractionextractionextraction

Nothing else to aim for at all. Booooooooring. But I doubt they have the infrastructure to do anything more interesting anymore without a major DLC pushing it out there for new gamemodes.

Yeah, I certainly understand the sentiment (and don't disagree with you). It was just noticeably cynical! I hope I haven't precluded the possibility of an eventual "[Mass Effect] I'm Miming Like I'm Jerking Off"
    Sirson wrote: »
    envoy1 wrote: »

Pretty much this, you're in luck this is a really easy class to do well on. Just max biotic Slash first.. spam through walls, around corners, in bad guy's faces.. it does insane damage and you can hit mobs really far away.

As effective as it may be, I would rather hammer nails through my dick than spam the slash moves

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »

bullshit

you can't use slash after a charge because HELLO COOLDOWNS

maybe he means palm gun not biotic slash

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Phoenix138Phoenix138 ArizonaRegistered User regular
    Maybe he means the heavy melee? Although I'm not sure if that has an AOE stagger or not. I know some people have use the Slayer as an incredibly melee-centric class. You get invincibility frames when performing the light melee, allowing you to draw a large amount of aggro while waiting for your charge to cool down.

• Options

But can't you still keep the same number as before in spares? Then the max increases.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I like carrying the falcon when I play demolisher, cause you can just sit on your pylon and spam the shit out of it. Combine it with whatever high yield shotgun you like, or maybe a hurricane.

It's a good way to blow through your ammo powerups too; it's super noticeable when you freeze like six guys.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget