As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GW2]Taste the rainbow VERY SOON in the new thread.

• Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Ah, yeah. Flamethrower is not a damage weapon, it's a survivability weapon.

Well its definitely awesome at it. In playing around i dont think i found a "pure damage" weapon. On the other hand running into the middle of groups, doing a supple drop, dropping a ton of bombs, and burning everything around me as i scramble to stay alive long enough for the heal pot to light up again was rather amusing.

Here, now that you've had a chance to see the system in action, try out this sPvP planner and make some builds for yourself.

c:

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Use this, and choose Engineer for initiator and finisher. The amount of combos you can do as an Engineer is crazy.

Initiator and finisher? Care to explain?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Use this, and choose Engineer for initiator and finisher. The amount of combos you can do as an Engineer is crazy.

Initiator and finisher? Care to explain?

I'm a dumb ass and didn't put the link in http://mastodonte.fr/outils/tool-combo#en

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Entaru wrote: »

Yep. You carry flamethrower to slip into it for it's skills and use the toolbelt. Don't stick in it it provides far less DPS output than your main hand will.

I tried that didnt seem to give a massive increase in damage from the pistol skills. Plus with juggernaught being almost completely immune to cc is rather nice. Ill need more testing to really get a handle on things, especially what works for actually increasing my damage vs how much survivability i really want to give up.

• Options
    edited August 2012

I'm a dumb ass and didn't put the link in http://mastodonte.fr/outils/tool-combo#en

Came back with 2. Both pretty much generate a fireshield. Guess i would need coordinated buddies to really get some awesome combos going

ok now im an idiot because the second time i put engineer engineer i got more.

Detharin on
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Did we ever make a list of everyons builds that have been posted here? Lots of great builds are being buried!

Also is there a class poll out?

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    So I want to play a warrior where I just dash around the battlefield with a greatsword and cut one guy down after another

Like, I dash to someone, stick to them, and kill them, then dash to someone else etc etc

functionally I guess this means an immobilize, high crit, and bull's rush, so I came up with this

torn between opportunist (gain fury when I immobilize someone) and rending strikes (critical hits have a 33% chance to apply vulnerability)

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Caedere wrote: »
    Today, I learned:

-I love Vulnerability so much. I remade my old Death Shroud necro, chased people around while spamming Life Blast, and watched the damage numbers climb and climb and climb. I had just figured out that Vulnerability would be decent (it took me a while to decode exactly how good it was), and then they go and make it much easier to understand. :lol:

-Glass cannons, at least the way I play them, are not viable without someone else to support me. I do way too much damage and I get hunted down way too fast.

-ArenaNet loves me. They changed Merciless Hammer and made my hammer warrior build so much better. Instead of increasing hammer damage by 50% to knocked down foes, the trait now increases damage to disabled foes. Mmmm. Clearly, my bribe to WaM paid off.
    Noooooooo waaaaaaaaay.

Totally makes my build slightly more justified and gives me so many more combo options.

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    we can re-use something separate to the forum as a builds depository

something like this, which I made ages ago during KCHS's brief revival: http://kchs.tumblr.com (new link: http://gw2nice.tumblr.com)

nothing difficult, but keeping it separate to the forums makes it easier to search and keep track of

in this case, since it's still early days, it'll probably just be links to builds and a brief description of how to use that

I'm happy to run something like that again

like, post a link to your build, give it a name, a quick description of how to use it, and I can whack it up there

renaming the site of course to the new guild name (or as close as I can get to it)

lemme know what y'all think of that

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Did we ever make a list of everyons builds that have been posted here? Lots of great builds are being buried!

Also is there a class poll out?
    I've been dropping any builds i find or come up with it depositories, keeping them at hand until something comes about to share them with.

I want to share my hunter build from today soon as i go downstairs to the pc.

• Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Kai_San wrote: »
    Today, I learned:

-I love Vulnerability so much. I remade my old Death Shroud necro, chased people around while spamming Life Blast, and watched the damage numbers climb and climb and climb. I had just figured out that Vulnerability would be decent (it took me a while to decode exactly how good it was), and then they go and make it much easier to understand. :lol:

-Glass cannons, at least the way I play them, are not viable without someone else to support me. I do way too much damage and I get hunted down way too fast.

-ArenaNet loves me. They changed Merciless Hammer and made my hammer warrior build so much better. Instead of increasing hammer damage by 50% to knocked down foes, the trait now increases damage to disabled foes. Mmmm. Clearly, my bribe to WaM paid off.
    Noooooooo waaaaaaaaay.

Totally makes my build slightly more justified and gives me so many more combo options.

Thanks again for hammer build, now ill really be a leaping knocking down fool. Sounds like we will have a lot of warrs.

• Options
    ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Today, I learned:

Noooooooo waaaaaaaaay.

This. Changes. Everything. Everything.

EDIT: Disabled = stun, daze, float, knock down, launch, knockback, sink or fear, from the wiki

ironzerg on
  • Options
    Random question, does switching kits count as switching weapons for the effects of sigils that proc when you swap weapons?

• Options
    cant0rcant0r Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    ...I had just figured out that Vulnerability would be decent (it took me a while to decode exactly how good it was), and then they go and make it much easier to understand. :lol:
    I'd love to hear more of your thoughts about that. What did they change? I've been confused about the value of vulnerability in PvP. I was thinking it would be better suited to PvE. I mean, in PvP skirmishes would you actively concentrate on keeping vuln up, or would you just take it as it happens? Outside of perhaps a big teamfight with focused fire, it seems like a nice-to-have, not a priority.

cant0r on
    "The mutha 'ucka runs a racist 'uking grocery / The mutha 'ucka won't sell an apple to a Kiwi"
  • Options
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Today, I learned:

Noooooooo waaaaaaaaay.

EDIT: Disabled = stun, daze, float, knock down, launch, knockback, sink or fear, from the wiki

Now you just need a necro buddy to follow you around turning everyones stability into fear for you.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Today, I learned:

Noooooooo waaaaaaaaay.

Now you just need a necro buddy to follow you around turning everyones stability into fear for you.

meeeee
    or I guess @huggles
    or both :evil:

Arch on
  • Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »
    Today, I learned:

Noooooooo waaaaaaaaay.

meeeee
    or I guess @huggles
    or both :evil:

Vweeheehee :twisted:

• Options
    CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    cant0r wrote: »
    ...I had just figured out that Vulnerability would be decent (it took me a while to decode exactly how good it was), and then they go and make it much easier to understand. :lol:
    I'd love to hear more of your thoughts about that. What did they change? I've been confused about the value of vulnerability in PvP. I was thinking it would be better suited to PvE. I mean, in PvP skirmishes would you actively concentrate on keeping vuln up, or would you just take it as it happens? Outside of perhaps a big teamfight with focused fire, it seems like a nice-to-have, not a priority.

Basically, Vulnerability used to reduce the target's armor by 30 for each stack. Lighter-armored targets were more affected by it, since armor is factored into the damage equation in a multiplicative fashion, and the closer you got to 0 armor, the more each point of armor lost increased damage. Furthermore, armor only protects against non-conditional damage, making Vulnerability nigh-useless to condition users.

Now, it's just an easy 1% more damage for each stack of Vulnerability. This appears to affect conditions as well. If your target has 10 stacks of Vulnerability, they take 10% more damage.

On another note, I want very much to try this out next chance I get:
    http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fIAQJAUUjcOpuxO2OQxBE0DrILEQzjfwIIiTBAE;ToAA1Cto2yslYL7WutkbtEZIC

It's a warrior based around Retaliation - basically, a honeypot. :mrgreen: You camp out with your rifle and start raining down heavy hits. This leads to thieves and other crit-based roles trying to sneak up on you for MASSIVE DAMAGE. They crit, and since you have way more HP than they do, they ideally should almost kill themselves from attacking you. It sounds hilarious, and I'm curious to see if it works.

I picture a big norn character, just standing there and laughing while a thief tries to stab over and over again, and then once the thief is spent, she just beats the shit out of him. "PUNY HUMAN, YOU THINK YOU CAN HURT ME?"

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    One thing I will say from my short, low framerate play session

I should not have started a human thief

I picked a race I didn't think I would like and a class I didn't care about because "oh, I don't want to spoil anything or get the wrong impression of a class I wanted to play"

this was a mistake, because after an hour I was like MAN THIEVES ARE AWESOME which means I may need to make one

I kind of feel the same way. I'm way more interested in the charr now than I was before.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Now to figure out what to do for nine more days.
    If we all join hands in a circle, I'd wager we could will into existence another stress test for this Friday. I mean, at the rate ANet's been having them, we probably wouldn't even need to chant or anything.

cant0r on
    "The mutha 'ucka runs a racist 'uking grocery / The mutha 'ucka won't sell an apple to a Kiwi"
  • Options
    jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    Glad to see that @Detharin is one of us after a few days of posting and a single stress test. The MMO bug never dies!:D

tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Well I still got some gripes, and I will always felt any mmo with stealth has a serious balance problem from the get go. Right now im enjoying scratching the MMO pvp itch, but it has yet to wow me as anything massively different than what ive done before. It seems more of an evolution of a lot of the awesome things from Warhammer. That does not make it bad, just evolutionary not revolutionary. I didnt get a chance to check out WvW.

Ill give ya guys a nice writeup on what i like and what i dont once i think ive gotten a better handle on things.

Detharin on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I don't think any stealth abilities last longer than three or four seconds

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Oh shiiiiiiit i just saw the vuln change. Good change, Nerf vs low armor targets but goes better now with might as bring able to affect condition damage.

Also muuuuuch less mathy.

I found a list of allllllll the changes on guru. And its a ton. Warrior hammer damages were shifted around, so skill 1 is weaker but 2 and 4 are stronger.

This is also a huge buff to my build.

Also mending gained 5 seconds if cooldown. If its not no longer mandatory expect it to be soon. The signet got a huge buff in cooldown but it heals for less. Which puts more emphasis on the Regen.

Link to changes post - http://www.guildwars2guru.com/news/720-stress-test-changes-skills-traits-recipes-achievements/

Kai_San on
  • Options
    Kid PresentableKid Presentable Registered User regular
    Well I still got some gripes, and I will always felt any mmo with stealth has a serious balance problem from the get go. Right now im enjoying scratching the MMO pvp itch, but it has yet to wow me as anything massively different than what ive done before. It seems more of an evolution of a lot of the awesome things from Warhammer. That does not make it bad, just evolutionary not revolutionary.

Well, yeah. That's the most favorable description you could give to any MMO that has ever come out. I find this particular one to be a very well executed evolution though.

Also you don't need to worry about stealth in this game, it is a very limited commodity in GW2.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    OK @Vivixenne, I'll take a poke at a build description:
    [N] Epidemic

Condition-based necromancer

Objective: Stacking long-duration, high-damage bleeds on a single target, as well as other conditions, then using Epidemic to spread those conditions around the other team.

Use: Scepter autoattack deals ~110dpt ~15s bleeds and maintains poison on a single target. Scepter 2 is an 8s AoE cripple (and a bleed) on a 10s cooldown. Concept is to load conditions, including large DoT, on a single target then spread them around to all their friends with Epidemic. Corrupt Boon converts all buffs on a target into corresponding conditions; Plague Signet transfers conditions from you to the target, and also sucks conditions from teammates when passive. Dagger 4 is another way to transfer your conditions to an enemy. Consume Conditions is taken as a heal first to counteract the self-inflicted conditions from the Corruptions, second to take advantage of sucking conditions from you allies and third to clear conditions from you when under fire; it translates to an awful lot of healing. Scepter 3 is used as often as possible to further punish a target under many conditions, and also to build life force in case death shroud is required to survive. Plague is taken as the elite because conditions and survivability.

Second weapon set used only for mobility and escape. Traits give a speed boost whilst wielding daggers and Warhorn 5 is another speed buff. Dagger 2 gives a lifedrain (stacking with trait effects); Dagger 3 is an immobilise; Dagger 4 is an cone-AoE daze. This (ideally) incapacitates attackers giving you room to get back.

Crit effects are supported as secondary to condition duration since 30 is taken in Curses. Effects include two more seperate instances of bleed and a health siphon which stacks with health siphon per normal hit.

That looking about right? Criticism welcome.

• Options
    That has been what ive seeing as far as stealth, had a couple guys continually vanish on me trying to cap a point. They couldnt hurt me, i couldnt catch them. Point remained mine so i claim victory. that is one of the things i do like is the scoreboard seems to be all about objectives. Did a fuckton of useless damage? Noone cares or can see it you are sitting at the bottom.

There are qualities in every MMO i wish other MMOS would steal. Sadly noone has stolen AoCs fatalities.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Well if you take a bunch of stealth abilities you're really gimping everything except your ability to escape

I mean theoretically a thief could take 3 stealth utility skills, if he didn't want scorpion wire, but that's lunacy

override367 on
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Well if you take a bunch of stealth abilities you're really gimping everything except your ability to escape

I mean theoretically a thief could take 3 stealth utility skills, if he didn't want scorpion wire, but that's lunacy

What, that he's going to take three stealth utility skills, or that he doesn't want scorpion wire?

Because not using scorpion wire is definetly crazy.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Is there a reference of sorts for the various builds put together for the various classes? I didn't get to mess around much during the last BWE nor for any of the stress tests because of work.

• Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    The thief stealth skills that aren't the main heal or cloak and dagger are also all Aoe, right? So they are pretty great in team fights. Also, backstab crits are pretty pimp

• Options
    Bloody JackBloody Jack Registered User regular
    Bobble wrote: »
    I'm pretty much resigned to having eight mains. Just trying to limit myself to focusing on three to start.

Just from reading this thread I can tell that I will need to rejoin Altoholics Anonymous :(

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Slowly working on a support Thief build that will put out all sorts of stealths, blinds and buffs. Think it might be pretty fun with allies.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    BTW this is the build I was loving for Ranger

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fMMQNBhYDZkoKxuvi1OQwUcIE9eEL03eniR5/LeKqJ;TsAgzCmouxcj4G7Nubk3sKZUyOEA

Its a pure pet build. Makes you and your pet a pain in the ASS to take down. The pet literally cannot die. I threw that fucker on Svanir and he tanked him for like 30 seconds because I couldnt get near enough to hurt him too.

Its slightly out of date now because that builder isnt updated (yet) so the blank utility is prolly going to be one of the new shouts for pets. But it should also be noted regardless of the low health you regen so damn much its irrelevant and you remove conditions naturally through just fighting and when you sit in the healing spring. This makes the build just plain silly for holding points. No single person could take me down or off a point. Groups would take quite a long time to do so.

See any problems let me know. I think this is a keeper for me so if there is any clear cut way to make it better I am game.

• Options

My thief has all of the stealth I could cram into her, and she's the most amazing point-capper ever. She can solo defend points long enough until the rest of the team arrives too.

And she does it with mindfuckery.

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    @Arch I was just browsing the wiki's "Recent Changes" and noticed the command line args page. Apparently adding "-perf" will cause the client to display a few different performance stats.

cant0r on
  • Options
    Enig wrote: »
    Slowly working on a support Thief build that will put out all sorts of stealths, blinds and buffs. Think it might be pretty fun with allies.

My most current build of this type of thief:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/en/?fYQQNAsaVlUmSPHfy9E+5EB3DjyUk6VgsdPwKX1KA;TsAA1CtosxYjwGrNObk2sAZsxsAA

FWnykYl.jpg
  • Options
    @Arch I was just browsing the wiki's "Recent Changes" and noticed the command line args page. Apparently adding "-perf" will cause the client to display a few different performance stats.

well, next beta event or stress test and I will check that out

I just updated all my drivers etc etc and really have no idea what was going on

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular

well, next beta event or stress test and I will check that out

I just updated all my drivers etc etc and really have no idea what was going on

We have only one week left give or take a few days. We MIGHT get another stress test this week, or one early next week. Maybe. Possibly. (@World as Myth) <3

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I kind of forgot there might be more stress tests and salvaged all of my pvp gear to throw it in the forge for funsies...

What is this I don't even.
This discussion has been closed.