As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a Good Facial Scrub/Wash

Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Firstly, I am a dude. I've been using ProActive since I was in my teens, but I'm running out and am wondering if there is anything better/cheaper/more easily available.

Currently I've been scrubbing my mug with a dab of Dove body wash, and it seems to work ok. I shave at least every other day and use Col. Conk's glycerine shaving soap with a badger hair brush, promptly followed by Nivea's Sensitive Skin post-shave balm.

I notice on the days where I don't shave that my cheeks in particular get pretty dry (then I use an oil free moisturizer which does the trick), but my forehead (which is formidable) tends to get a little oily.

So, TL/DR. What is a good facial scrub/washing product for skin that is dry on the cheeks, but oily on the forehead?

XBL - TeenageHead
Continental_Op on

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    I tend to use Nivea's Moisturizing Face Wash. I suffer from the same problems (shave my head so my forehead is the bulk of my face) and it's the only one I've found that keeps my face pretty moisturized without being oily. I also follow this up by using Nivea Protective Lotion (with SPF 15) and again is the only moisturizer that doesn't make me break out on my scalp. I use it on my face, head and beard.

Also, I've noticed that if I use regular soap to wash my face it causes it to be more oily later in the day than if I stick to a straight regimen of just the Moisturizing Face Wash.

Also, Col Conk's is an awesome shaving soap. I used to use it before I started shaving my head and switched to good ol' fashioned Barbasol. Their Bay Rum and Almond scents were amazing. I may have to start using it again.

• Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    Well, if ProActive works for you, I'd recommend sticking with something like that. I've used it since my teens too, but have tried just about every over-the-counter product and some prescription ones out there - and I always end up going back to ProActive / AcneFree. AcneFree is a kit just like ProActive that you can buy at Wal-Mart and most pharmacies, just a different brand. It has the same Wash, Toner, Lotion combo, and comes in a regular formula and an extra strength, but is about $10 cheaper a package than AcneFree. When I'm having a lot of skin problems, I've found the Extra Strength kit works even better than ProActive, and the regular strength kit is pretty much identical.

• Options
    supabeastsupabeast Registered User regular
    Use an exfoliating scrub like St. Ives. That way you’re just cleaning off the crap that clogs pores instead of drying out your skin.

• Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    I am also a ProActive subscriber for many years now, it's the only thing that causes me not to have acne and without oil face.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So, I may have made an important discovery....i may have also just given myself cancer of the face, but thats probably unlikely.

This morning i woke up with an acne breakout, 3 zits, one above my lip, one on my chin, and one in the crook of my nose.
    I was getting ready for work, and needed to shave, and i knew that was going to mess things up even more, so i popped the zits, shaved and looked at the remaining mess...it was fairly tragic looking. all three was raised red bumps. I looked for some alcohol to swab it with, couldnt find any, and in my morning stupor, my eyes fell on my bottle of listerine complete. I says to myself...well its an antisceptic...what can it hurt. I swabbed a little on a qtip, and pressed it on the three bumps. almost instantly the bumps started fading. An hour later the bumps are completely flat and the redness is 99% gone. You cant really tell i had a problem. I found this rather amazing. The only ingredients listed on the bottle is the sodium floride or whatever so i have no idea what else is in this stuff...but damn it worked amazingly.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum