As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Company fleet vehicle tracking devices

matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off'Points to 'on'Registered User regular
edited August 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Does anyone have any experience with GPS tracking devices for vehicles? The bakery I work for has three delivery vans, we've noticed some higher than normal gas expenditures lately and want to start tracking where they go. It seems like the devices are easy enough to find on Amazon, but if anyone has a company they've used and worked well, I'd appreciate any info you can give.

nibXTE7.png
matt has a problem on

• Options
    Liquid HellzLiquid Hellz Registered User regular
    Sprint has some for very cheap, they are phones and can track just about anything. I think it was less than $50 a month each. Plus you can make phone calls!

What I do for a living:
    Home Inspection and Wind Mitigation
    http://www.FairWindInspections.com/
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    i saw something a long time ago that was a gps tracker with a USB. you can't like actively track it, but if you pop it into your PC, it tells you everywhere the unit has been...

My google/amazon fu is failing me though. Maybe this?
    http://www.amazon.com/Canmore-GT-730FL-S-Rechargeable-Waypoints-Compatible/dp/B002UWKUZQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1344612358&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+tracking+device

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Secretly or overtly installed? Because your drivers are probably not going to like this, what with it being an implicit accusation of fooling around on the job.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Secretly or overtly installed? Because your drivers are probably not going to like this, what with it being an implicit accusation of fooling around on the job.

That's sort of the point. At the very least any employees that have been fucking around will hopefully stop since they'll know they can be busted.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Dr. FrenchensteinDr. Frenchenstein Registered User regular
    yeah would you rather "gotcha" them, or overtly say "hey... *points to eyes, and then to employee*"

• Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    If it's the latter, all you really need is a plastic box with a blinking green light bolted to the dash.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Ruckus wrote: »
    If it's the latter, all you really need is a plastic box with a blinking green light bolted to the dash.

Yep. This would be what I would do. Any "spy" store will have fake trackers and cameras for this purpose.

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Could it be that they're just running the AC constantly full blast?

The cheap way to do this is have a quick company meet and say something like "we're spending too much on gas so we reserve the right to place tracking devices on the vans and disciplinary action may be taken if we think you're abusing driving privileges." You don't even have to buy the trackers unless gas expenditures don't regress to where they are supposed to be.

Djeet on
  • Options
    LankyseanLankysean Registered User regular
    Djeet wrote: »
    Could it be that they're just running the AC constantly full blast?

AC can really take a toll on gas causing the vehicle to burn up to 20% more gas than during normal driving. I'd say look into that, maybe do a little threatening, and check your gas costs from last year to see if there is a pattern.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    Issues with gas expenditure aside, its probably a good idea to track your vehicles anyway, but just make it clear what it's for.

ie - tell your drivers "Look, I have no problem with you stopping off at home in the middle of the day to pick up your lunch for 15 minutes, or to stop off at the mall on the way to somewhere to pick up a spare battery for your mobile phone, but significant unrelated journeys need approval"

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Does anyone have any experience with GPS tracking devices for vehicles? The bakery I work for has three delivery vans, we've noticed some higher than normal gas expenditures lately and want to start tracking where they go. It seems like the devices are easy enough to find on Amazon, but if anyone has a company they've used and worked well, I'd appreciate any info you can give.

I work for a transport company so I'll pick the brain of our guys here on Monday and let you know what we use Matt.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Just an update, we went with a company called GoTrack. The unit is a little black box that plugs into the OBD port, then you log in to their website for tracking and reports. Tested it out today and it worked as advertised, showed me going right to McDonald's for lunch.

We have sort of asked the driver who's numbers aren't adding up what's going on, we don't want to come out and accuse him of anything though. We figured if he suspected we were suspicious his habits would change but they haven't, so now we're curious exactly what he's doing. We have another driver who does the same run at the same time of day when the first guy is off, but finishes it 60-90 minutes faster than the first guy.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Just an update, we went with a company called GoTrack. The unit is a little black box that plugs into the OBD port, then you log in to their website for tracking and reports. Tested it out today and it worked as advertised, showed me going right to McDonald's for lunch.

We have sort of asked the driver who's numbers aren't adding up what's going on, we don't want to come out and accuse him of anything though. We figured if he suspected we were suspicious his habits would change but they haven't, so now we're curious exactly what he's doing. We have another driver who does the same run at the same time of day when the first guy is off, but finishes it 60-90 minutes faster than the first guy.

Not that this is it, but I was a truck driver in college for a stint. I was just really bad with directions and usually took an extra 10% on runs just because I'd miss an exit, and those trucks were not things you could just flip a u-turn with.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Not that this is it, but I was a truck driver in college for a stint. I was just really bad with directions and usually took an extra 10% on runs just because I'd miss an exit, and those trucks were not things you could just flip a u-turn with.

He's been doing the run for about 3 years now, but it's only been in the last 6 months or so that it's been taking him longer. And it wasn't a gradual thing, it just sort of jumped all at once. Plus there are still days when he does it in the "normal" amount of time, too.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Matt, if it's just gas expenditures you might want to see if you can talk to the gas stations he's using and pull their security tapes.

I've worked at places where there were issues with this and the problem wasn't with bad driving or going all over town, it was with the driver taking the gas card, getting a buddy to bring his car to a gas station, and filling up both vehicles because gas is fuck expensive now so it was an easy way to save a hundred bucks a month and he figured no one will ever notice.

I know that sounds like a stretch, but it's really not that uncommon.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

He's been doing the run for about 3 years now, but it's only been in the last 6 months or so that it's been taking him longer. And it wasn't a gradual thing, it just sort of jumped all at once. Plus there are still days when he does it in the "normal" amount of time, too.

What're the chances he's waiting around on someone for 45 minutes, traffic is an issue, or he's trying alternate routes to beat jams/accidents? Are they around lunch time? Maybe he's going for lunch.

Although an hour and a half longer? That's a hell of a lot of time longer.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I guess my question is, do you want a solution where you can get a good idea where your drivers are going? Do you want a solution that is essentially in a can, hooks to a website and kicks out accurate information about where exactly the driver is at how long it took him to be there how long he has been idleing, when he reached his last delivery location, but you have to load his route into the system. However you'll find even your best drivers start doing better with that kind of monitoring. We just implemented a system like that with our transportation drivers. For oddly enough being too fast. You have to keep in mind there is a cost that is going to be associated with the solution and the more user friendly easy to use systems are going to be more expensive.

zepherin on
  • Options
    Matt, if it's just gas expenditures you might want to see if you can talk to the gas stations he's using and pull their security tapes.

I've worked at places where there were issues with this and the problem wasn't with bad driving or going all over town, it was with the driver taking the gas card, getting a buddy to bring his car to a gas station, and filling up both vehicles because gas is fuck expensive now so it was an easy way to save a hundred bucks a month and he figured no one will ever notice.

I know that sounds like a stretch, but it's really not that uncommon.

Oh yeah. This totally happened with the fleet sometimes too.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular

Has he got kids, a wife? Could be stopping by at lunchtime to have lunch with his wife at her workplace every day, or stopping off in the afternoon to pick the kids up from school?

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Dhalphir wrote: »

Has he got kids, a wife? Could be stopping by at lunchtime to have lunch with his wife at her workplace every day, or stopping off in the afternoon to pick the kids up from school?

Alternatively he might be getting hung up on deliveries with the truck idling by chatting people. Not for nothing but in the past when I've worked at a warehouse we've had delivery guys that get hung up for an extra twenty or thirty minutes because we couldn't get to them due to a stack of customers and other things. We would tell them to kill the engine and grab a cup of coffee while they waited as a curtisey and because most of them ran in and grabbed a cup of coffee while we worked because we (the warehouse guys) all kicked in each week for real coffee rather then what was provided by the company. It wasn't uncommon for out of state drivers that did deliveries to us to hit the bay and walk right in past our counter to the coffee pot and ask us what the flavor of the week was like they owned the place.

But a tattler will tell you if thats happening as it will show the truck at a drop off for a long time, at which point all you need to do is confirm if they were there or not.

iRevert on
  • Options
    That could also be the case. Some of the truck drivers I deal with are quite social whereas some others just do the delivery and the paperwork and get going.