As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WoW] Chat Thread: Patch 5.0 on August 28th! Change your passwords.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    The trailer's got me psyched, but I've always had a soft spot for blizzard cimenatics

• SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Well, there is a series of quests in Silverpine where the Horde attacks Dalaran citizens simply because they used to be aligned with the Alliance.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    "Here have my spear"

I lold.

• The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Jubal77 wrote: »
    Blendtec wrote: »
    Except for all the times in the history of the game world where it has "worked," apparently

I mean horde and alliance have already been teaming up to take down whatever threat approximately twice per expansion; I'm not sure what the problem would be with just making that the status quo. They could still pay lip service to the two factions not liking each other, just let us form groups and share chats.

When? And yeah let us pick flowers while I quest with my orc and you with your human! That doesnt break immersion or character at all!

There's tons of times in the lore, not just from WoW, where they've teamed up to do things. If something worse comes along they deal with it but there's still animosity. Think of it like Batman, there's been a few times he's teamed up with the various villains to stop other villains getting too powerful and stuff. At the end of the day they're still enemies, but when it comes down to fighting each other or working together to fight another day, I don't think it's unreasonable.

As far as not being able to talk to each other, other people already explained it. You think people yell at their own team and get mad? Oh boy.

I can't think of a time where they teamed up in cata though since this whole xpac has been about war with each other with both dicknose faction leaders having at each other. In Wrath I guess they might have teamed up but then you blew the others airship out of the air to reach the top first the whole xpac was mediated via Tirion.

Any neutral faction is more or less them "teaming up"; but in Cata more specifically the whole Molten Front stuff leading into Firelands is a joint effort; as is the entirety of Hyjal. Vash'jir keeps things separate. Deepholm is less teaming up than just faction agnostic, same with Uldum.

DS is clearly supposed to be a semi-teamed up thing similar to Arthas but they put zero effort into fleshing it out. I mean, you even have both factions on the boat, but they don't go into the temporary alliance at all. And it just seems jarring, like they got incredibly lazy with the lore in DS (and judging from the dialogue from everyone else in there, yeah...bad)

The only xpack that hasn't had some faction-alliance stuff really is TBC, but then Sunwell stuff was more of a combined effort so...whatever.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Enosh20Enosh20 Registered User regular
    Are you talking about Tirion? Because that had plenty of lore behind it and he wasnt necessarily "alliance" anyway as they had banished him for defending Eitrigg. That was actually very well done if you didnt click through quests and played vanilla and didnt click through quests.
    quite sure he means Thrall in cata

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    The trailer made me go back to the beta for a bit... oh god, the devs are having some fun...
    http://mop.wowhead.com/spell=126123

Confession
    40 yd range
    Instant 1 min cooldown
    Compels a friendly target to confess a secret.

Or maybe it's just subtle mind control.

edited August 2012
    Except for all the times in the history of the game world where it has "worked," apparently

I mean horde and alliance have already been teaming up to take down whatever threat approximately twice per expansion; I'm not sure what the problem would be with just making that the status quo. They could still pay lip service to the two factions not liking each other, just let us form groups and share chats.

When? And yeah let us pick flowers while I quest with my orc and you with your human! That doesnt break immersion or character at all!

There's tons of times in the lore, not just from WoW, where they've teamed up to do things. If something worse comes along they deal with it but there's still animosity. Think of it like Batman, there's been a few times he's teamed up with the various villains to stop other villains getting too powerful and stuff. At the end of the day they're still enemies, but when it comes down to fighting each other or working together to fight another day, I don't think it's unreasonable.

As far as not being able to talk to each other, other people already explained it. You think people yell at their own team and get mad? Oh boy.

I can't think of a time where they teamed up in cata though since this whole xpac has been about war with each other with both dicknose faction leaders having at each other. In Wrath I guess they might have teamed up but then you blew the others airship out of the air to reach the top first the whole xpac was mediated via Tirion.

Any neutral faction is more or less them "teaming up"; but in Cata more specifically the whole Molten Front stuff leading into Firelands is a joint effort; as is the entirety of Hyjal. Vash'jir keeps things separate. Deepholm is less teaming up than just faction agnostic, same with Uldum.

DS is clearly supposed to be a semi-teamed up thing similar to Arthas but they put zero effort into fleshing it out. I mean, you even have both factions on the boat, but they don't go into the temporary alliance at all. And it just seems jarring, like they got incredibly lazy with the lore in DS (and judging from the dialogue from everyone else in there, yeah...bad)

The only xpack that hasn't had some faction-alliance stuff really is TBC, but then Sunwell stuff was more of a combined effort so...whatever.

See to me that is blurring the lines between story progression for factions and "teaming up". Especially in Cata because as you said they did a pretty bad job bringing the story lines together without just having them be this separate entity. That is how I saw the majority of Cata (separate stories). I dont remember lore points where it stated we are helping alliance out. I remember story points like "Heroes! go here and help these people out". Again its IMHO but I dont think we ever "teamed up".

Edit: An example of what I would consider the factions teaming up would be wrathgate and then battle of undercity. But we all saw how that turned out :)

Jubal77 on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Enosh20 wrote: »
    that went from "grim dark war" to "goofy kung fu" in a milisecond

it's okay, but the sudden complete flip in tone kinda drags it down a bit imo

It doesn't help the whole thing about Pandaren being a joke. They always have been and always will be, and anything they're involved in becomes a joke. So this expansion is probably going to be obnoxious as shit.

edited August 2012
    I am playing the alliance starting area and is actually setting up a pretty decent bad soap opera. Which I have come to expect out of WoW. Also [spoilers]:
    Atrocity count commited by Alliance in MoP: 1. And I have only been playing for 10 min. I havent played horde side yet but I am sure there is going to be the same on that side.

Jubal77 on
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular

Don't forget the updated version of Thousand Needles, where the Night Elves straightup assist the Tauren in retaking Freewind Post from the Grimtotem, as well as the combined guard on the Blasted Lands side of the Dark Portal.

And in TBC, you have both factions fighting side by side right in front of the Dark Portal to prevent the Burning Legion from getting to Azeroth. Of course when the player gets there he/she gets sent off to the main base instead of helping but still. The Alliance questing does send the player character to "help" the Horde base (mirroring Horde quests to kill the same NPCs).

Well, there is a series of quests in Silverpine where the Horde attacks Dalaran citizens simply because they used to be aligned with the Alliance.

I wanted to touch on this one a bit too...If you are talking about Ambermill, the leader there straight up yells out that Lorderon belongs to the Alliance. I know there's a bit at the Dalaran crater, but you're sent there by a deranged ex-Dalaran archmage.

edited August 2012
    Henroid wrote: »

It doesn't help the whole thing about Pandaren being a joke. They always have been and always will be, and anything they're involved in becomes a joke. So this expansion is probably going to be obnoxious as shit.

WTB Disagree button?

I mean, the beta is right there. If it was going to be "obnoxious as shit" I think someone would have noticed by now. Yes, people bitch about it, but people bitch about every WoW expansion, and every single one has been the "death" of WoW, so that's nothign new.

I guess if you irrationally hate pandas that much...it's not for you? But good lord, overdramatic much? You're right though, upright walking cows, not a joke. Pandas, joke. Got it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

WTB Disagree button?

I mean, the beta is right there. If it was going to be "obnoxious as shit" I think someone would have noticed by now. Yes, people bitch about it, but people bitch about every WoW expansion, and every single one has been the "death" of WoW, so that's nothign new.

I guess if you irrationally hate pandas that much...it's not for you? But good lord, overdramatic much? You're right though, upright walking cows, not a joke. Pandas, joke. Got it.

I think you're reading my post with a tone of seriousness that is false. I'm saying I'm not interested. I'm not saying "OH GOD BLIZZARD" while leaning back against the arm of my couch with my hand resting upon my forehead. I'm saying, "meh," and explaining why that "meh" is my sentiment. Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean you get to or should try to paint our difference as some big thing. :P

The expansion has never been a great concept for me at all. Individual features to gameplay I've weighed in on as being good or bad, but the theme and content of the expansion I haven't. So here it is:

A war is going on in the world of Warcraft right? It's been a big built up thing over a couple expansions, and when MoP was going to be announced it was supposed to be focused on the war. But ever since content has been under testing all I've seen is raid content for Blizzard's China. I don't see any significance to the Alliance / Horde war, which is what I want to see and engage myself in when playing the game. A cool Theramore event happens at the start, and the end of the expansion will be about the war too. But all the content aside from that has nothing to do with it. So I'm not interested. My comment about the trailer is that usually the comedy in Warcraft is in the realm of the gameplay. The cinematics and lore have generally had a degree of seriousness in their presentation and the MoP trailer has abandoned that, and I don't like it.

Do you want me to apologize to you for having no interest and explaining why?

edited August 2012
    So your just looking at bosses and not the story leading up to them? I am playing through the starting ally side and there is still war going on. Now the point they put in to counteract full out war could be construed as "iffy" but hey it works for me. So far I am enjoying the starter zone.

Jubal77 on
    I was expecting content built on fighting the opposing faction (which would have made content development lengthy, but maybe that would have been worth it for the return in intrigue), is all. Now I have to be ridiculous and use an example which is poor but it's the first thing that comes to mind: World of Warcraft: Opposing Force. Does that make sense? In that I want to be engaged in what makes Warcraft what it is and not side-content, regardless if that side-content has threading to the main hooks.

Fair enough. Playing through some of the beta has lifted my notion of it being a "peaceful" xpac if that is any consolation to you. In the last 20 minutes I have killed some lieutenants, blew up some horde stockpiles and wasted to some peons. I do have to footnote that I am a huge eastern culture fan so the music, landscape and atmosphere are that much more awesome to me.

edited August 2012

WTB Disagree button?

I think you're reading my post with a tone of seriousness that is false. I'm saying I'm not interested. I'm not saying "OH GOD BLIZZARD" while leaning back against the arm of my couch with my hand resting upon my forehead. I'm saying, "meh," and explaining why that "meh" is my sentiment. Just because you disagree with me doesn't mean you get to or should try to paint our difference as some big thing. :P

The expansion has never been a great concept for me at all. Individual features to gameplay I've weighed in on as being good or bad, but the theme and content of the expansion I haven't. So here it is:

A war is going on in the world of Warcraft right? It's been a big built up thing over a couple expansions, and when MoP was going to be announced it was supposed to be focused on the war. But ever since content has been under testing all I've seen is raid content for Blizzard's China. I don't see any significance to the Alliance / Horde war, which is what I want to see and engage myself in when playing the game. A cool Theramore event happens at the start, and the end of the expansion will be about the war too. But all the content aside from that has nothing to do with it. So I'm not interested. My comment about the trailer is that usually the comedy in Warcraft is in the realm of the gameplay. The cinematics and lore have generally had a degree of seriousness in their presentation and the MoP trailer has abandoned that, and I don't like it.

Do you want me to apologize to you for having no interest and explaining why?

Nope. What I wish people would do when they have no interest in something (to begin with, or lost interest) is just move on. This thread, and this forum has enough people who sit around in threads for games they either never liked or stopped liking, endlessly bitching about whatever, and never moving on. You can hardly have a discussion about Final Fantasy games in the final fantasy thread, for example, due to nonsense like that; and it isn't productive or interesting to have to read around "no you are all wrong, this sucks now!" between posts of people trying to actually discuss something.

There's nothing wrong with not being interested, not liking it, and being disappointed. What you say isn't invalid (well, the post I responded to, I don't think had much actual merit, but your view about the seriousness of cinematic is valid); but when you're at the point you've firmly decided this isn't for you, and you don't like it; and you know it's not going to change to suit you (at least for the forseeable future), why stick around and just bitch? Because otherwise what is the point? Constructive criticism that sparks discussion is one thing, bitching to bitch is pointless. Do you want someone to convince you you're wrong? Are you trying to convince others that they're wrong? What? And that's what I responded to. Had the post been "Well, I don't like Pandas for these reasons, and I don't think they fit in WoW" with actual reasoning, maybe I wouldn't have reacted so strongly; but when your post is pretty much literally "omg I don't like this, they're a joke, wow sucks now", there's nothing to be done with that.

The Dude With Herpes on

Oh wow, all races available regardless of version come 5.0

so you can be a worgen without buying cataclysm, pandaren without buying mists, etc

that's pretty cool

• KryhsKryhs Registered User regular
    The Pandaren are literally joke in that Chen in War3 was meant as a joke.

That said, I love them and don't see them as silly in any way. Best joke ever.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    So, fairly big news, apparently as of 5.0 all races are available regardless of which expansion you do or don't own. Pandas will be on hold till launch but other than that it's fair game.

Kryhs wrote: »
    The Pandaren are literally joke in that Chen in War3 was meant as a joke.

That said, I love them and don't see them as silly in any way. Best joke ever.

Pandaren in the beta seem pretty evenly split between "super spiritual and serene and constantly speaking on confucionism proverbs" and "loves to drink and fight" with Chen being one of the few who are kind of in the middle

Fair enough. Playing through some of the beta has lifted my notion of it being a "peaceful" xpac if that is any consolation to you. In the last 20 minutes I have killed some lieutenants, blew up some horde stockpiles and wasted to some peons. I do have to footnote that I am a huge eastern culture fan so the music, landscape and atmosphere are that much more awesome to me.

Well, that does bring me some relief. They should really highlight all the content like that though (without being spoilery about it). Nobody says anything about it really.

Javen wrote: »

so you can be a worgen without buying cataclysm, pandaren without buying mists, etc

that's pretty cool

That is pretty cool. It's a little subdued since TBC was rolled into Vanilla WoW, but still cool.

Nope. What I wish people would do when they have no interest in something (to begin with, or lost interest) is just move on. This thread, and this forum has enough people who sit around in threads for games they either never liked or stopped liking, endlessly bitching about whatever, and never moving on. You can hardly have a discussion about Final Fantasy games in the final fantasy thread, for example, due to nonsense like that; and it isn't productive or interesting to have to read around "no you are all wrong, this sucks now!" between posts of people trying to actually discuss something.

There's nothing wrong with not being interested, not liking it, and being disappointed. What you say isn't invalid (well, the post I responded to, I don't think had much actual merit, but your view about the seriousness of cinematic is valid); but when you're at the point you've firmly decided this isn't for you, and you don't like it; and you know it's not going to change to suit you (at least for the forseeable future), why stick around and just bitch? Because otherwise what is the point? Constructive criticism that sparks discussion is one thing, bitching to bitch is pointless. Do you want someone to convince you you're wrong? Are you trying to convince others that they're wrong? What? And that's what I responded to. Had the post been "Well, I don't like Pandas for these reasons, and I don't think they fit in WoW" with actual reasoning, maybe I wouldn't have reacted so strongly; but when your post is pretty much literally "omg I don't like this, they're a joke, wow sucks now", there's nothing to be done with that.

I made one post saying I don't like it, and other posts explaining it in more elaborate terms when called on it. I'm not here to shit on any parade of joy. I'm not on some crusade to convince people of things. I showed up to give my take on the cinematic and had to explain other things for it to make some more sense.

Javen wrote: »

that's pretty cool

That is pretty cool. It's a little subdued since TBC was rolled into Vanilla WoW, but still cool.

Well ever since they released Death Knights, those phased starting areas have been kind of a hallmark of amazing design and gameplay, so I'm just glad they're letting players experience it without having to pay into it first.

Random as hell that they're letting people make pandas in 5.0.4

Unless I'm reading that blue post wrong. I mean, is there starting area gonna be in or...?

Saving mine for a monk anyway, but still.

• HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Well pandas won't be available until launch in September but yeah, even if someone doesn't have the expac they can roll one.

Oh, yeah, that makes more sense.

edited August 2012
    Random as hell that they're letting people make pandas in 5.0.4

Unless I'm reading that blue post wrong. I mean, is there starting area gonna be in or...?

Saving mine for a monk anyway, but still.

Edit: Ahh yes Halfmex. Dur!

Also regarding your previous post referencing Final Fantasy Thread. Well posted sir. Well posted. I actually liked 13 and you would have thought I had killed a puppy by stating it there a month or so after it was released.

Jubal77 on
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    An example of what I would consider the factions teaming up would be wrathgate and then battle of undercity. But we all saw how that turned out :)

Wrathgate is a good example. Undercity is not. That was the factions splitting because of the events at Wrathgate. King Chin was all set to retake UC for the Alliance and kill all the Forsaken, Horde just wanted to get the bad guys and keep the Alliance out. Defending the Dark Portal, Sunwell, lvl 60 Naxx, Dragon Soul, all that is the factions working together for a common goal. They put aside the war to work together so that the Legion/Arthas/Old Gods/mcguffin doesn't just kill everybody.

Even just in the quest text, throughout all the expansions, the Alliance vs Horde war is still going on. You're killing boars so that the inn keeper can feed soldiers or so that hunters have an easier time. Killing satyrs so they won't attack Night Elves when they go after the Orcs. Rebuilding Darkshore so it isn't vulnerable to the Horde. Getting revenge on the Alliance for the attacks in the Southern Barrens. It'd be hard to do a dungeon or raid of the war though, so it plays out in quests and in the novels and such. Even killing Garrosh to end Mists, it's going to be because he's corrupted by whatever the bad guys are that will most likely end up being another Old God.

• Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    What they should do is just roll everything into Mists.

Oh, you've been gone since TBC? $40 gets you up to date. You're new to WoW? $40 for everything.

Although I'm not quite sure how that would work with the free 30 days on Vanilla/TBC...maybe it would only apply to new accounts?

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    I agree, at this many expansions, each new one should include all the old ones for the price. People I know that haven't played WoW, that I've tried to get into it, are almost always turned off by the sheer cost of getting up to the current expansion.

That said, I'm confused as to why allowing anyone to pick any race is a big deal...are there really a lot of WoW subscribers that play actively but don't own all the expansions?

• 815165815165 Registered User regular
    I think it's to remove a barrier of entry for new players, someone new to the game who really wants to play a goblin or worgen has to buy two expansions before they even know they like the game or not yet.

Hey, does the 11th slot go live with 5.0 or with MoP release?

Or, when can I reserve the name of my Monk? :)

Tuning patches going live all the time now heh. And they buffed Arms warriors again.

• EndEnd Registered User regular
    Hey, does the 11th slot go live with 5.0 or with MoP release?

Or, when can I reserve the name of my Monk? :)

MoP, when you attach it to your account

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I agree, at this many expansions, each new one should include all the old ones for the price. People I know that haven't played WoW, that I've tried to get into it, are almost always turned off by the sheer cost of getting up to the current expansion.

That said, I'm confused as to why allowing anyone to pick any race is a big deal...are there really a lot of WoW subscribers that play actively but don't own all the expansions?

Of the ten or so people I know irl that have active subs, two have only TBC. They like making money of herbing/mining. Yeah I don't know what to say either. (Forgot to mention it was a husband/wife pair)

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
    Previous expansions should at least get discounted. And it wouldn't hurt to make WotLK rolled into the base game at some point.

I know someone who still hasn't picked up Cataclysm though. All her joy in the game is from RP'ing. More power to her I guess.

Ok, so we get
    Ishtaar wrote: »

Of the ten or so people I know irl that have active subs, two have only TBC. They like making money of herbing/mining. Yeah I don't know what to say either. (Forgot to mention it was a husband/wife pair)

Isn't that where you point out that they could make more money gathering higher-level materials? Also, you'd think they'd be running out of things to buy at lvl 60.

Although with all new Pandas coming through this fall, I'm sure they'll make pretty good money selling herbs/ore.

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I'd wager we'll see a rise in all the old school mats while people level their new monks en masse.

• LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    They should be able to get up to level 70 now, since Burning Crusade is part of the base package now.

Heck, they got all the 1-60 Cata content for free as well, and will probably have a free WotLK soon too.

Anyways, I was just looking up the Challenge Modes for MoP and was surprised to see there is absolutely no loot drops during a Challenge Run. The only rewards at all is a bit of Valor and then the title/mount/transmog gear you get for having all bronze/silver/gold medals. That doesn't bode well for them getting run a lot, because a lot of people are going to fall into one of two categories:

1. I don't think I'm good enough to get a better medal than the bronze I already have, so why would I waste time and repair costs for no reward whatsoever?
    2. I already have a gold medal so why would I ever run it again?

About the only incentive for the #2 group would be the ones who care about leaderboard rankings. There's no real incentive for the people who don't want to try and learn a dungeon though, unless they really want that mount or transmog set.

Now I can totally see the problem of people stopping to loot on a timed run, and also agree with Blizzard that the rewards for Challenge mode should be cosmetic so it can't drop better gear than the regular Heroic Mode, but I still think there should be a little more reward to get people more willing to run it. Some kind of loot bag you get upon completion like the Satchel of Helpful Goods or Cache of the Ley-Guardian that contains gold, mats, gear that's equal to the dungeon's heroic gear or even just transmog gear, pets, mounts, etc. Increase the odds for really rare mounts or whatever for a gold medal.

Lars on
This discussion has been closed.