As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Taste the rainbow VERY SOON in the new thread.

• EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Klyka wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    Has guesting ever been enabled for tests? Feels like something they'd want to actually, you know, test.

You need to add someone from another server to your friendslist, right click his name and choose "Join Friend" in the menu.

Oh, so I can't just hop on the server that's the actual home of my guild? That's silly.

• The Deranged HermitThe Deranged Hermit Inside the walls Merry Old EnglandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Huggles wrote: »
    Peccavi wrote: »
    Gems are cheaper in dollars than euros, that's an arbitrage scheme waiting to happen.

I believe gems are nontransferable outside of the Black Lion gem exchange.

Is this confirmed? I can't, for instance, mail someone gems?

Edit: Found the answer on the GW2 Support site. You cannot trade gems and you cannot purchase gems online for someone else. They will apparently be launching gem cards which you can buy similar to how time time cards for sub-mmos work and then gift those to people.

Bleh, that is somewhat inconveniencing.

The Deranged Hermit on
    Steam: the_deranged_hermit
    GW2: Tavalisk.9463
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    Has guesting ever been enabled for tests? Feels like something they'd want to actually, you know, test.

You need to add someone from another server to your friendslist, right click his name and choose "Join Friend" in the menu.

Oh, so I can't just hop on the server that's the actual home of my guild? That's silly.

There is ALSO a "guest" button in the "world selection" menu on character select.
    But that button was greyed out during all betas.
    It will probably work in retail though but you NEED to have at least one friend on that server!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    Damn. So having a character of every class is going to cost an extra $30? That feels...excessive.

Please go back about 30 pages and re-read this argument again...for the first time!

Those were the days...

8->

• DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Does anyone know about rates of glory accrual?

You get a "glory booster" for the digital deluxe. Seems like something worth popping immediately just to clear bag space, really. However, if you gain decreased glory rewards for killing lower ranked players, for instance, it might be worth sitting on for a few ranks. Anyone have any idea?

What is this I don't even.
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    We're all a bunch of overweight criminals

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    OH cool for 10 dollars you get 20 transmutation stones (I think?) which is wayyyy enough to give one character's gear an entire makeover

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Oh and it is also only 10 dollars a character slot

not bad, not bad

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Arch wrote: »

not bad, not bad

$10?! SLAP TO THE FACE.

Tough call, though... $30 for 3 slots, or $50 for 5 slots that can't access my HoM or collector's stuff, but that I can log in should I ever need a mule or something.

(collector's edition should come with extra slots to make up for the bank access being a limited time deal)

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Turambar wrote: »
    We're all a bunch of overweight criminals

Speak for yourself. I'm a smooth criminal.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm a husky criminal

And not so much a criminal. More of a vagrant.

A husky vagrant, if you will.

Beltaine on
    XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • MortifiedPenguinMortifiedPenguin Registered User regular
    Has anyone used the Longbow for warriors the last few tests? I tried it back in BWE1 and was underwhelmed, but I also didn't know how to play the game then. Curious to see if it's been changed at all since then. Seemed useful for PvE and WvW, not so much for sPvP though.

• EnderEnder Registered User regular
    Beltaine wrote: »
    I'm a husky criminal

And not so much a criminal. More of a vagrant.

A husky vagrant, if you will.

I prefer

to think of myself

as a sickly hermit

thank you very much

• wavecutterwavecutter Registered User regular
    Fluffy Rapscallion.

• REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    Copper warband in full effect.

If you ain't Copper, you're just meat (or veggies).

• TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    So what server is everyone planning to play on?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • GaardeanGaardean Registered User regular
    Gems are cheaper in dollars than euros, that's an arbitrage scheme waiting to happen.

Edit: Found the answer on the GW2 Support site. You cannot trade gems and you cannot purchase gems online for someone else. They will apparently be launching gem cards which you can buy similar to how time time cards for sub-mmos work and then gift those to people.

Gems can be bought and sold between players on the auction house, though. I'd presume you could arrange to trade them that way, but you'd lose whatever the AH cut on the sale is (plus the risk of someone else snatching 'em).

steam_sig.png
  • mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    Talith wrote: »

This.

Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • TulabelleTulabelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Fort Aspenwood for the NA people, not sure if EU has been finalized.

Tulabelle on
    Gaardean wrote: »

Gems can be bought and sold between players on the auction house, though. I'd presume you could arrange to trade them that way, but you'd lose whatever the AH cut on the sale is (plus the risk of someone else snatching 'em).

Not to doubt you, but do you have a source?

• GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Tulabelle wrote: »

I believe EU is Gandara, but someone that is actually from there should confirm :)

EDIT: Whatever the EU one is, we'll probably want to put that one in the OP too.

Geod on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    if that doesn't change the PvP execution from an impaling flag to a giant cow that falls from the sky, I am going to cancel my pre-purchase

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LegvkJXeEEw
    Madpoet wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »

not bad, not bad

$10?! SLAP TO THE FACE.

Tough call, though... $30 for 3 slots, or $50 for 5 slots that can't access my HoM or collector's stuff, but that I can log in should I ever need a mule or something.

(collector's edition should come with extra slots to make up for the bank access being a limited time deal)

Or $50 for 5 slots that can access your HoM/collector's stuff... Though why anyone would need 10 slots I have no idea.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Wrong, incorrect, nope, not how it works. It isn't an auction house, someone doesn't put an item up and then someone else can't search for that SPECIFIC item. It is a marketplace. And the gold>gem or gem>gold interface is basically push butan receive your goods if you agree to the price.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »

Wrong, incorrect, nope, not how it works. It isn't an auction house, someone doesn't put an item up and then someone else can't search for that SPECIFIC item. It is a marketplace. And the gold>gem or gem>gold interface is basically push butan receive your goods if you agree to the price.

That's my favourite kind of auction house.

Geod wrote: »
    Tulabelle wrote: »

I believe EU is Gandara, but someone that is actually from there should confirm :)

EDIT: Whatever the EU one is, we'll probably want to put that one in the OP too.

If @World as Myth could confirm, I believe that there will be a brief grace period in the beginning where you can change home servers for free. Now if this is the case, why don't all you dudes just roll with us on Fort Aspenwood, see if the lag is bad or not, and then make your choice?

According to some, there wasn't any noticeable lag. And the simple sad truth is a lot of EU PA guilds tend to dry up fast. (Though that might not happen with Klyka+Helloween's youtube playerbase)

Yeah can we start calling it the trading post? Because that's what it is, not Ebay.

You post a thing with a price you think is fair then wait for another person to buy it straight up.

Gems and gold can only be exchanged via ArenaNet (in the guise of the Black Lion), who set the exchange rate with your local currency.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

Yep, so the second you put up 1000 gems for 1 copper, the lowest price shown to EVERYONE in the ENTIRE GW2 market will see the lowest offer of 1000 gems for 1 copper.

Yeah can we start calling it the trading post? Because that's what it is, not Ebay.

You post a thing with a price you think is fair then wait for another person to buy it straight up.

Yeah, well, that's how the auction house works in WoW too.

ironzerg wrote: »

Yep, so the second you put up 1000 gems for 1 copper, the lowest price shown to EVERYONE in the ENTIRE GW2 market will see the lowest offer of 1000 gems for 1 copper.

I... don't think this is how it works.

reVerse wrote: »

Yeah, well, that's how the auction house works in WoW too.

Except it isn't. And Huggles actually didn't really describe it right. Put Item A onto trading post, one of two things happens. Either it sits there at the price you wanted until someone searches for that kind of item and particular price range and incidentally purchases yours. Or your item is instantly purchased because someone else had a buy order for that sort of item, at around that price range.

• HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Gems and gold can only be exchanged via ArenaNet (in the guise of the Black Lion), who set the exchange rate with your local currency.

But there's two players to each transaction, correct? AFAIK someone has to be wanting to sell gems, and someone has to be wanting to buy.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Thanks, @Arthil.

Here's what we know about gems and trading so far:

From the wiki page on Gems:
    Gems can be purchased in various amounts (however, the cost per gem is always the same)

Example: 800 gems always costs $10.

From the wiki page on the Trading Post:
    Through the Currency Exchange window you can either trade gold for gems or trade your gems for gold. It shows market data like the price of recent gem sales, a price graph over the last few hours of trading, Average Price and Highest and Lowest prices over the last 5 days etc.

Seems pretty clear to me that the price of gems depends on the demand for gems via gold transactions against the amount being bought with real money. And it's a trend not a one-to-one direct offer.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    I like the Warrior changes in the new patch a lot... a new shout that sounds wonderful, Kick got a pretty major buff... good stuff.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    The biggest difference between an auction house and our trading post is that there is no bidding, and you can place buy orders for items/prices that aren't currently there. Otherwise, it's not that different.

kQwcZLJ.png
  • ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    ironzerg wrote: »

I... don't think this is how it works.

I...think this is how it works.

The entire market is shared across all servers. When you go to buy or sell something, you have the option to sell at the highest price immidiately, or sell at whatever price you want. Conversely, you can buy something at the current lowest offered price, or you can put in a bid for a lower price and wait.

You don't list stuff individually. You don't put up for sale 30 auctions of 10 iron stacks each for 1 silver a piece. You put up 300 pieces of iron for 1 silver each. If Joe logs in and needs 20 iron, he can buy 20 ironfrom you for 20 silver. If Bill needs 400 iron, he'll buy the remaining 280 iron from you, then 120 iron from the next lowest bid.

Or he could say 1 silver is a rip off, and put up a bid for 400 iron at 80 copper. When Ted logs in, he could sell Bill 200 pieces of iron at 80 copper each. If he thinks 80 copper is outrageous, but he wants to sell it quicker, he could undercut you by listing his iron for 90 copper each, thus being displayed as the next lowest bid.

So it's not really auctions. It's buy and sell orders, like a commodity market.

Also my experience with the gem exchange (BWE3) is that you put in a number of gold/gems and the post shows you what you would receive in the other currency. You don't set the price when you sell your gems.

@ironzerg: that looks correct as far as I understand. The difference is that gems cannot be bought or sold in that manner.

edited August 2012
    Random question: is the mesmer the only class who has a combo in a ranged weapon auto-attack slot?

edit: Nope, necromancers also. Anyone else?

reVerse on
    edited August 2012
    reVerse wrote: »
    Random question: is the mesmer the only class who has a combo in a ranged weapon auto-attack slot?

edit: Nope, necromancers also. Anyone else?

Just checked the wiki and that combo tool, they don't? Necromancer does though.

Arthil on
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Also my experience with the gem exchange (BWE3) is that you put in a number of gold/gems and the post shows you what you would receive in the other currency. You don't set the price when you sell your gems.

I heard once though that the reason selling gems for gold won't cause inflation is that that gold has to come from a player who wants to buy gems with gold.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
This discussion has been closed.