As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

iOS Games: There's a Zombie on your In-App Purchase.

• Options
    bones09bones09 Registered User regular
    I haven't done a lot of ios gaming, but I've spent a good 8+ hours on this one over the last few days (on sale at the moment):

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/fabled-lands-ii-hd-gold-edition/id443907097?mt=8

It's apparently based on some gamebook that you play solo using dice. You basically make a character from about 6 classes and go around doing quests and encountering random events in one of two provinces (more to come with later expansions). You gain experience, level up, find loot, and have fingers stolen by evil sprites (if you're unlucky).

It has a very PnP feel. It's got a ton of nice art that reminds me of old PnP RPGs. Each area, character, and monster has art. There is no pathfinding (by humans or AI), so in that sense it's similar to a MUD where you click (tap?) on what you want to do instead of guessing the verb. For instance, you can sometimes go "east", "north", or "northwest", but sometimes you'll have a button to head toward the "Curstlands" or the river "Grimm". Much of the flavor comes from a combination of the art and the text describing the area or encounters.

You can also buy houses, buy ships, buy (and sell) cargo, and gamble. You can only save at an inn (making it a bit more difficult when you're far afield), but you can buy a sort of insurance against death from the priests of the god of war or god of death. It seems to be open-ended. Overall I'm very satisfied with the purchase - especially at the current price.

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    10000000, awesome. I'm now maxed out and just working to achieve the 10 mark. Current high: 8.78 mil. For anyone struggling, I didn't realize potions stacked.niwas deactivating before activating a new one just....well just out of ignorance I guess! Some potions combo really well!
    peasant and Midas for building cash! Add the philanthropist to gain exp too!

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    So there's a free puzzle game atm called "The Heist" and when you beat it you get a steam reedemable copy of EETS and Puzzle Agent. It's not a bad game either. 4 different puzzle types which get progressively harder.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    So there's a free puzzle game atm called "The Heist" and when you beat it you get a steam reedemable copy of EETS and Puzzle Agent. It's not a bad game either. 4 different puzzle types which get progressively harder.
    Loved that one. I told myself I was going to 100% it, but some of those puzzles made me want to throw my iPad at the wall.

• Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    @Xaviar: Is something wrong with your Pocket Heroes game? I don't think you've moved in like a month now...

@jdarksun (I think) and @Adda: On our game, is it broken? Are you getting turns, are you moving? Because from my perspective, it looks like I just got two turns where you didn't do anything...?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    kime wrote: »
    @jdarksun (I think) and @Adda: On our game, is it broken? Are you getting turns, are you moving? Because from my perspective, it looks like I just got two turns where you didn't do anything...?
    We're waiting on you. :)

• Options
    I see....

Well that means it screwed up, hurray! I wish this game weren't fun so I wouldn't have to give it so many chances to hurt me :(.

I guess I'll just keep taking my turns if they keep coming? And we'll figure it out eventually.

Hopefully.

Steam profile
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    See if your brain can comprehend the description of the new game Bad Hotel, currently on sale for 99 cents:
    Bad Hotel is an insane hybrid of a tower defense game and a procedural music toy, with beautiful art and tons of bullets. You are a budding entrepreneur, whose hotel is rather unfortunately located within the territory of Tarnation Tadstock, the Texas Tyrant. Your only defense against Tadstock's army of seagulls, rats, yetis, and more is to build your hotel as quickly and intelligently as possible, using an array of increasingly sophisticated weapons. The beautiful artwork, quirky storyline, and frantic gameplay all work seamlessly together with a generative music system, which creates original music depending on the player's actions and decisions. The player becomes a composer, creating complex musical structures to defend their hotel. A vast variety of music can be generated, from delicate beach chillout to country banjo techno.

Kotaku really seems to like it.

http://kotaku.com/5934345/bad-hotel-is-the-next-iphone-game-you-should-care-about

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    Just need to rage real quick.

Fairway Solitaire HD. Doing todays Free Daily Course.

Nail the Cup challenge on the first hole. Nail every hole below par. On the last hole, I even land the 1000 GB bonus shot. Tap the last card on the field, and the game crashes. Reload, and had to start over.

Not a good first impression of the game.

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    It's been crashing on me as well since the last update. Almost a 50/50 chance after any completed hole.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    Glad I found that out before buying it then.

• Options
    KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sharp10r wrote: »
    KafkaAU wrote: »
    Loved that one. I told myself I was going to 100% it, but some of those puzzles made me want to throw my iPad at the wall.

Did you complete the game and get the steam keys? Even though I posted about it, all the instructions I find on the internet say "just slide the canister away to get the puzzle agent key" and I can't slide the damn canister. I got my EETS key though by unlocking the safe.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
  • Options
    LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    Rothgarr wrote: »
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Sup dudes, thought you might be interested in how our latest UDK game is looking on iOS. I am pretty proud of how nice I've been able to get it looking on there.
    * video *

That looks pretty cool. Any more info on the game?

Sorry, I missed this.
    It's a puzzle game where you play as a mysterious spherical object and explore a island dotted with big abstract glass buildings which are where most of the puzzling takes place. There's a thread that is about it here.

• Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Puzzle Craft just came out and the early buzz looks extremely positive.

• Options
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Puzzle Craft just came out and the early buzz looks extremely positive.

I bought it first thing last night, and proceeded to play until I couldn't keep my eyes open. It's fantastic. It's DungeonRaid meets Kingdomville or whatever, with no annoying IAPs--the only IAPs are gold which allows you to instant buy buildings and tools rather than craft them.

On top of standard matching, as you level up, you unlock bonus things. Like, matching 8 wheat causes a carrot to drop, and matching 3 carrots gets you the carrots, which are worth more food. And you need the food to build buildings or to send people into the mines and stuff like that.

The tools are cool, letting you collect all of particular tiles, allowing you to rack up some crazy scores, and you can hire villagers to certain jobs, which reduces the number of matches you need to get a resource. Like, it starts out at 10 wheat to make a loaf of bread, but hiring a Reaper makes it 9.

My only issue so far is that it doesn't seem possible to reassign villagers to new jobs once you unlock new ones, so you just have to keep recruiting more.

• Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    Supposedly the official Dominion app is out this week, or maybe even today, though it looks like it's not out yet. Apparently the free unlicensed version got pulled this week, but I haven't synced to see if it disappears. Or if that's even what happens when an app gets pulled.

• Options
    Huxley wrote: »
    Supposedly the official Dominion app is out this week, or maybe even today, though it looks like it's not out yet. Apparently the free unlicensed version got pulled this week, but I haven't synced to see if it disappears. Or if that's even what happens when an app gets pulled.

Even if an App gets pulled, if you bought it, and have it synced on your computer, it'll still be yours.

• Options
    RothgarrRothgarr Registered User regular
  • Options
    Been playing too much Puzzle Craft.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Spellsword is apparently free now. It was well worth the $1 I paid for it

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I'm loving PuzzleCraft, but it's hands-down the buggiest game I've ever installed. It freezes my whole phone (and forces me to do a hard reset) whenever I try to make an in-app purchase, and there's like a 25% chance of it crashing whenever I finish a harvest/mine. =[

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I'm loving PuzzleCraft, but it's hands-down the buggiest game I've ever installed. It freezes my whole phone (and forces me to do a hard reset) whenever I try to make an in-app purchase, and there's like a 25% chance of it crashing whenever I finish a harvest/mine. =[

That's weird. On my iPad 2, it hasn't crashed or hick-uped even once.

• Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »

That's weird. On my iPad 2, it hasn't crashed or hick-uped even once.

Same with me. I've been playing a ton today on my iPhone 4 and it has not messed up once.

I'm really liking it so far. It took me a minute to get in a groove of knowing what I should be doing (should I be building things, getting new recruits, just farming and mining over and over, etc), but it's kinda worked itself out with the limits of items for new structures and the level caps on new cottages. As of now, I'm looking to see what I would be able to build if I had the ingredients, then I go farm/mine until I have the ingredients, rinse and repeat. I still haven't gotten a good feel for when/how much I should be using items, but I'm sure I'll get a strategy sooner or later.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If you haven't, max out your Lumberjacks to drop wood piles to only needing 5 trees. Then you can build a ton of shovels/rakes and that alone will do a bunch for upping your output.

InkSplat on
  • Options
    bfickybficky Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote: »
    If you haven't, max out your Lumberjacks to drop wood piles to only needing 5 trees. Then you can build a ton of shovels/rakes and that alone will do a bunch for upping your output.

That's a great idea. I had picked up on using my abundance of wood (which didn't seem to be used for a lot of buildings) for crafting shovels and rakes, and then using those to clear out the crap instead of using one of my turns, but I didn't think to add lumberjacks to make the wood more plentiful. Thanks for the tip.

PSN: BFicky | Switch: 1590-9221-4827 | Animal Crossing: Brandon (Waterview) | ACNH Wishlist
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Is it possible to sync Puzzle Craft saves between an iPhone and an iPad over iCloud?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    oh shit

i can tell just by the screenshots that Puzzle Craft will be the death of me

• Options
    GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    oh shit

i can tell just by the screenshots that Puzzle Craft will be the death of me

Yeah, I'm excited for when I get home and have a decent enough connection to download it... but if they ever port Puzzle Pirates for iOS, I may not ever put down my phone.

• Options
    ociousocious Registered User regular
    Baldurs Gate on the iPad in September. http://baldursgate.com/ipad.en.html

Life is a ____ , depending on how you dress her.
  • Options
    $10 seems a bit more reasonable, but I'm still skeptical

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    wonderpug wrote: »
    Is it possible to sync Puzzle Craft saves between an iPhone and an iPad over iCloud?

I just checked my iCloud storage and it doesn't appear to be saving anything.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Spoit wrote: »

Baldur's Gate is 14 years old.

I think it's overpriced, but it doesn't actually surprise me much.

Steam profile
  • Options
    OchoOcho Registered User regular
    Playdek put most of their games on sale for GenCon- $5 for the Summoner Wars everything bundle is a steal for all that you get.

Probably my most played game currently.

Steam ID : Ocho
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular

It has new high-res art, touch controls, a good bit of new content, and was ported into the BG2 engine with lots of old bugfixes. $10 is perfectly fine. It's probably going to be $20 total after all of the IAP's though. The PC version is $20 and I suspect the IAP's will bring the cost in line with the PC version.

I'm really excited to see how it turns out. If the touch controls work well I'll probably pick this up over the PC version for now.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I thought they didn't have the assets any more, so the art was just what they were able to extract from the compiled game files. And like you said the new content would be hidden behind an IAP wall anyway, though that's the part I'm most skeptical of anyway. I'm dreading that it will be just as silly and out of place as those horrible companion mods like Sae...something

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Bullio wrote: »

It has new high-res art, touch controls, a good bit of new content, and was ported into the BG2 engine with lots of old bugfixes. $10 is perfectly fine. It's probably going to be $20 total after all of the IAP's though. The PC version is $20 and I suspect the IAP's will bring the cost in line with the PC version.

I'm really excited to see how it turns out. If the touch controls work well I'll probably pick this up over the PC version for now.
    Same here, I'm going to pick up the iPad version -- I'm really excited for it.

I also can't wait for Ultima Forever and Shadowrun Online...

• Options
    I thought they redid the character models, but I could be mistaken.

In any case, even if you just want an iPad optimized version of the original BG and could care less about the new content it's still a good deal. For the same price as the original on GOG you get all of the fixes, touch controls, a "BG Tutu"-ish mod job, and at least 6 hours of new content thrown in for the same price.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I got to play Horn a bit yesterday and so far it's really good. The comparisons in review that say it's a cross between Zelda and Infinity Blade are pretty accurate.

The environments look really great as do the characters. The voiceovers are also very well done.

For gameplay, the main objective that I can tell do far is to find these stones to unlock a gate or portal. You find them in area outside the city and to get to each stone yo have to battle monsters (Infinity Blade style) and figure out puzzles (Zelda style). The combat feels easier than Infinity Blade and you can roll all the way around your opponent -- sometimes battles take place on multiple levels like Dead or Alive. The puzzles so far are pretty easy but I hear they get more challenging. You've also got a piece of equipment that shoots bullets and can be used to rappel across and up to places. You also forge your own weapons and stuff made from crystals you pick up along your journeys.

Things that I'm not crazy about... you move to locations by tapping, as opposed to using a virtual stick, and I prefer virtual sticks. And your guy has no pathfinding, he goes in a straight line. So it requires additional taps to get around objects. Some environments in different areas look... familiar. I also came across a bug that occurs sometimes when you leave the app and come back to it -- the voiceovers don't play and it stalls for seconds at a time. If you quit the app and reload it's fixed. I'm sure they'll fix this in an update. It's not consistent, though, and it doesn't happen too often.

At $6.99 I think it's worth it, you're getting a pretty solid game and you can tell a lot of work went into it. If you can wait until the holidays I'm sure it will be on sale by then.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/horn/id549350579?mt=8

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I've been trying out a few of the games noted in the OP and in the recent posts. Puzzle Craft is pretty good. I thought it seemed a little frustrating for me to really get into it and then I unlocked a new list of buildings. Harvesting taking 0 days? Yes please. I get that and the chicken one and whoa the most frustrating part of the game just disappears for me.

The Heist was really cool. For free, definitely an easy choice to make.

Fabled Lands II is really....bad. I can't really put it another way. The game doesn't make it clear what it's controls are, nor does it make it clear there is even a choice (Or not) to make.

Infinity Blade two is gorgeously rendered and I still can't believe the kind of horsepower the iPad has to render that shit, but I feel like gameplay is limited since you're just doing a fight, watch a cinematic, do a fight. I'm not very far yet, so if that changes and it's more open world later, well, then.

I'm caught up in the addictiveness of Dragon Vale and Tiny Tower even though I despise the touch something and wait for hours and hours design paradigm.

• Options
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I've been trying out a few of the games noted in the OP and in the recent posts. Puzzle Craft is pretty good. I thought it seemed a little frustrating for me to really get into it and then I unlocked a new list of buildings. Harvesting taking 0 days? Yes please. I get that and the chicken one and whoa the most frustrating part of the game just disappears for me.

The Heist was really cool. For free, definitely an easy choice to make.

Fabled Lands II is really....bad. I can't really put it another way. The game doesn't make it clear what it's controls are, nor does it make it clear there is even a choice (Or not) to make.

Infinity Blade two is gorgeously rendered and I still can't believe the kind of horsepower the iPad has to render that shit, but I feel like gameplay is limited since you're just doing a fight, watch a cinematic, do a fight. I'm not very far yet, so if that changes and it's more open world later, well, then.

I'm caught up in the addictiveness of Dragon Vale and Tiny Tower even though I despise the touch something and wait for hours and hours design paradigm.

If you want something similar to Dragon Vale and Tiny Tower but also requires a little bit of thought and strategy, check out Pocket Planes. Same people that did TT, but it's a much better game.

Tiny Tower aside, I've completely avoided the freemium town builder "games". Or I did until I found out about The Simpsons: Tapped Out yesterday. It's no different than any other game in the genre, but having my own little Springfield to build is rather fun. No way in hell am I giving EA any money for it, but it suffices as a mindless little time waster between commercials.

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.