As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Fitness Group [Meet up on Sunday at 1]

• PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    I know I'll be trying to eat healthy-ish but other than that the weekend is a write-off for me. Also, sounds like a great meeting spot!

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • Browncoat565Browncoat565 Registered User regular
    I like the heaalthy ish.... just make sure to at the very least get csome real fruits and vegetables

if you're not from the area there's a grocery store just a few blocks from the expo hall and a nice food court not too far either, I'll look them up later and post a map for everyone,

• BombchelleBombchelle Registered User regular
    Hopefully I'll make the meet up at 1pm.

Also going to find a grocery store when I get in on Thursday and buy some fruits to keep in my room. Hopefully offset all the Cheesecake Factory trips >.> And I definitely will be finding the gym for some early morning workouts in the Sheraton if anyone else will be around. Though we'll see how well I stick to that Friday morning with a TWDT hangover :P

@Mogs, I don't like losing, I'm coming for you ;)

• MogsMogs Registered User regular
    Bombchelle wrote: »
    Hopefully I'll make the meet up at 1pm.

Also going to find a grocery store when I get in on Thursday and buy some fruits to keep in my room. Hopefully offset all the Cheesecake Factory trips >.> And I definitely will be finding the gym for some early morning workouts in the Sheraton if anyone else will be around. Though we'll see how well I stick to that Friday morning with a TWDT hangover :P

@Mogs, I don't like losing, I'm coming for you ;)

I'm buying you many drinks during the TWDT regardless - trying to get ahead of you has me very motivated to do all sorts of extra fitness-y things I would never have done otherwise.

Trying to eat healthy while at PAX is a pretty big concern of mine. I can't have gluten, and my husband and I both follow a paleo-esque style of eating, so it will certainly be an adventure. I foresee a weekend filled with bunless burgers. :(

• vgcvgc United StatesRegistered User regular
    I have already written off the entire weekend. I don't really plan on eating well or working out at all. If there's a swimming pool I can have access to, I might go for a swim.

Also, fellow TWDT goers unite! @Mogs and @Bombchelle, I must congratulate the two of you. I've been really trying to keep up with you, but I know now that is a futile battle. I'll buy a round if I meet you at the TWDT!

• RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular
    I'm Slyther to the In DE squad. what are you guys?

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
    Slytherin OoTP. I wanted to be a DE, but it was gone quick. Poo.

I'm at Sheraton! And I'm underage but I'll still be enjoying myself at the PPP, no pubcrawl though. Board Game night >.>

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
    @PayneTrayne, I'll have a drink in your honor! Or honour, as you Canadians like to spell it.

I'll be at the Pre-PAX Dinner before joining Ravenclaw OotP.

Ravenclaw OotP :D

http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&tab=wl here's the linkto that ggrocery store it's just an IGA but it's only a few blocks from the conventione center so should be convenient for most people, as for being gluten free I feel your pain I have a minor gluten intolerance that I tend to ignore and eat it anyways but much of my family has it worse than me

http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Kress+IGA+Supermarket,+3rd+Avenue,+Seattle,+WA,+United+States&hl=en&ll=47.610416,-122.335081&spn=0.01409,0.03253&sll=49.257735,-123.123904&sspn=0.109123,0.260239&oq=iga+seatt&hq=Kress+IGA+Supermarket,&hnear=3rd+Ave,+Seattle,+Washington,+United+States&t=m&z=15 sorry thatm link didn't work
    and here is the linkk for a food court that has been a godsend everytime I've gone down to seattle, also on a side note @PayneTrayne where in Canada you from, I'm from Vancouver BC myself

Windsor, Ontario. So quite a ways away!

@vgc I'd be honoured to see you throw back a snakebite or two in my.

wow, quite the trip for PAX,

• RobogirlRobogirl Local Badass SeattleRegistered User regular
    vgc wrote: »
    Slytherin OoTP. I wanted to be a DE, but it was gone quick. Poo.

Looks like we're on the same team! Yay!

I'm going camping this weekend. What kind of foods should I bring? Preferably stuff that can keep for a bit on its own, since I don't know if I will have a cooler. So far I'm thinking tuna, bread, fruits, maybe some veggies with pb to dip them in, protein powder, and beef jerky. Any other suggestions?

trail mix lots and lots of trail mix

If you are bringing a cooler, bring egg whites in a Ziplock sandwich bag. Mix in your favorite veggies and mushrooms if desired. When you're ready to eat, drop the sealed bag into a pot of boiling water. You have just created a yolkless campfire omelette.

If you are bringing a cooler, bring egg whites in a Ziplock sandwich bag. Mix in your favorite veggies and mushrooms if desired. When you're ready to eat, drop the sealed bag into a pot of boiling water. You have just created a yolkless campfire omelette.

Is there a reason to skip the yolks?

I was just going for the "healthy" option. It works just as well with egg yolks.

I know that the egg whites are the healthy options and I feel like I should skip the yolks but it always feels like a waste of food :P

Why are yolks unhealthy?

feed the yolks to someone else? or save them and use them for other things.....???

Mogs wrote: »
    Why are yolks unhealthy?

I have no idea. I think it has something to do with cholesterol. I left the yolks out once. It felt like a waste and I've eaten the yolk every time since.

here's a quick article on why they're unhealthy http://healthy.lifetips.com/faq/80350/0/are-egg-yolks-bad/index.html sorry I like links and researching stuff

• Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Why are yolks unhealthy?

I have no idea. I think it has something to do with cholesterol. I left the yolks out once. It felt like a waste and I've eaten the yolk every time since.

Yolks are where most of the fat, cholesterol, and in general caloric content of an egg is (which makes sense - that's the part of the egg that's there to feed the chicken embryo as it matures!), whereas the white contains mostly protein. That said, most of the fat in eggs is the good (unsaturated) kind, and the cholesterol content really isn't that bad (and is primarily HDL - i.e. good - cholesterol).

Little Miss Rachel on
    Why are yolks unhealthy?

They aren't.

here's a quick article on why they're unhealthy http://healthy.lifetips.com/faq/80350/0/are-egg-yolks-bad/index.html sorry I like links and researching stuff

May I ask that if you are going to respond to questions, link scientific articles or items of similar nature. Your article is akin to using wikipedia for proof

Unscrambling the research: Eggs, serum cholesterol and coronary heart disease.

Selection from the abstract:

"Despite the small increase in LDL-cholesterol levels with increasing egg intake, most epidemiological studies have shown little or no association between egg intake and risk of coronary heart disease. However, the impact of dietary cholesterol for people with type 2 diabetes has been poorly studied. In conclusion, in a healthy Western population, there is insufficient evidence to excessively restrict egg intake as part of a healthy diet."

DOI:10.1111/j.1747-0080.2007.00093.x

If anyone here IS throwing out their yolks, send them to me - I will eat them all happily. :D

sorry you're right, I should have been more accurate in saying this why they;re claimed to be unhealthy cause in truth I know next to nothing on nutrition, my bad...

edited August 2012
    sorry you're right, I should have been more accurate in saying this why they;re claimed to be unhealthy cause in truth I know next to nothing on nutrition, my bad...

I meant no offense. Simply want to avoid misinformation; it is rampant

edit: Just out of curiosity, are you an RD?

Ravenger on
    RD? I do not know what this means... so probably not

Registered Dietician

Ravenger wrote: »
    Simply want to avoid misinformation; it is rampant

This is why I posed the question in the first place. Eggs are delicious. I eat lots of them and defend them very enthusiastically.

Registered Dietician
    No, i make by the slice pizza's for a living, kind of the opposite

• Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    Simply want to avoid misinformation; it is rampant

This is why I posed the question in the first place. Eggs are delicious. I eat lots of them and defend them very enthusiastically.

Same here! I'm in a rut, I eat them for breakfast most every morning. xD

I would like to introduce a new discussion topic; pre-workout and post-workout shakes/meals/whatever. The concept has been gaining popularity, but I would like to challenge us as a group to do some research and see if there are any proven benefits to doing this!

This discussion has been closed.