As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[GW2]Taste the rainbow VERY SOON in the new thread.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Arthil wrote: »
    reVerse wrote: »
    Random question: is the mesmer the only class who has a combo in a ranged weapon auto-attack slot?

edit: Nope, necromancers also. Anyone else?

Just checked the wiki and that combo tool, they don't?

Scepters, son.

• World as MythWorld as Myth a breezy way to annoy serious people Registered User regular
    Geod wrote: »
    Tulabelle wrote: »
    Talith wrote: »
    So what server is everyone planning to play on?

Fort Aspenwood for the NA people, not sure if EU has been finalized.

I believe EU is Gandara, but someone that is actually from there should confirm :)

EDIT: Whatever the EU one is, we'll probably want to put that one in the OP too.

If @World as Myth could confirm, I believe that there will be a brief grace period in the beginning where you can change home servers for free. Now if this is the case, why don't all you dudes just roll with us on Fort Aspenwood, see if the lag is bad or not, and then make your choice?

According to some, there wasn't any noticeable lag. And the simple sad truth is a lot of EU PA guilds tend to dry up fast. (Though that might not happen with Klyka+Helloween's youtube playerbase)

This article has some good info: http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/49312-switching-servers-at-no-cost-on-release/

kQwcZLJ.png
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Huggles wrote: »
    Also my experience with the gem exchange (BWE3) is that you put in a number of gold/gems and the post shows you what you would receive in the other currency. You don't set the price when you sell your gems.

I heard once though that the reason selling gems for gold won't cause inflation is that that gold has to come from a player who wants to buy gems with gold.

THat's true.

You can't buy gold with real money/ You can only buy gems with real money.

You can then sell those gems for gold, but that's no different then harvesting a crafting material and selling it for gold.

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Random question: is the mesmer the only class who has a combo in a ranged weapon auto-attack slot?

Just checked the wiki and that combo tool, they don't?

Scepters, son.

Nope, I just checked it. The scepter #1 skill isn't a projectile.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Do you meant combo finishers? Because quite a few ranged attack works as a combo finisher, I think. Shortbow/Longbow/Riffle 1-slot skills are all projectile finishers, if memory serves.

Bobble on
  • doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Bobble wrote: »

Do you meant combo finishers? Because just about any ranged attack works as a combo finisher, I think. Shortbow/Longbow/Riffle 1-slot skills are all projectile finishers, if memory serves.

I believe it was meant to be ranged chain skills. (IE scepter on necromancer or mesmer)

Edit: To clarify, chain skills are when skill 1A leads to skill 1B to skill 1C - for necromancer, it's Blood Curse > Rending Curse > Putrid Curse

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Ahh, thief's shortbow 1-skill bounces. edit- and the ranger axe does too, and the elementalist's air-attuned staff. I'm an idiot. Carry on.

Bobble on
  • LouieLouie Registered User regular
    Doesn't the thief pistol skill have a combo?

camo_sig.png
    Twitter - discolouie PSN - Loupa Steam - Loupa
  • HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    shryke wrote: »
    Also my experience with the gem exchange (BWE3) is that you put in a number of gold/gems and the post shows you what you would receive in the other currency. You don't set the price when you sell your gems.

I heard once though that the reason selling gems for gold won't cause inflation is that that gold has to come from a player who wants to buy gems with gold.

THat's true.

You can't buy gold with real money/ You can only buy gems with real money.

You can then sell those gems for gold, but that's no different then harvesting a crafting material and selling it for gold.

Think of the gem exchange like you would any real-world currency exchange. When you convert USD into GBP, you don't trade directly with the person selling the other currency. Instead, they sell their GBP to a third party (in this case usually a bank) in exchange for something, usually another currency. You buy GBP from the third party in exchange for your USD. In this case, the third party sets the rate of exchange.

Replace 'USD' with gold, 'GBP' with gems and 'third party' with the Gem Exchange and you have the system in place for gem transfers. Except I don't think the Gem Exchange cuts a profit from conversion like real banks do.

So the reason it won't cause inflation is that ArenaNet have control over the exchange rate.

Huggles on
  • DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    On the subject of servers we really need to nail this down as the more people we have the better more organized we can be, and the more fun we can all have. Fort Aspenwood seems to be out designated server but there was some contention awhile back on that. Id say if anyone has a compelling reason to pick another server throw it out there, the more bodies we get the better. By the same token lets make it a compelling reason, nothing worse than picking a server to accommodate a couple people who never log in.

Again when it comes to large scale combat the more organized bodies you can put on coms the better it ends up being. We have a ts server according to the OP we should be abusing the hell out of that until we are leaving a trail of broken servers in our wake screaming "DAMN YOU NICE GUYS!"

Thinking about it, direct gem trading between players would just facilitate goldsellers, when it appears to be ArenaNet's objective to make the Gem Exchange the easiest and cheapest method of acquiring in-game gold using real money. That way, they can keep a semblance of control over the player economy.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular
    @ironzerg: that looks correct as far as I understand. The difference is that gems cannot be bought or sold in that manner.

Why wouldn't it? You spend cash for gems out of game. In game, you bid to buy or sell those gems. The price will likely have a floor and ceiling set by Anet, but ultimately the market will be player driven.

• ironzergironzerg Registered User regular

Right, the gold supply is dictated by player activity in game. While it's "created from thin air" it's not technically "created from thin air" as players have to earn that via their time in game.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Detharin wrote: »
    On the subject of servers we really need to nail this down as the more people we have the better more organized we can be, and the more fun we can all have. Fort Aspenwood seems to be out designated server but there was some contention awhile back on that. Id say if anyone has a compelling reason to pick another server throw it out there, the more bodies we get the better. By the same token lets make it a compelling reason, nothing worse than picking a server to accommodate a couple people who never log in.

Again when it comes to large scale combat the more organized bodies you can put on coms the better it ends up being. We have a ts server according to the OP we should be abusing the hell out of that until we are leaving a trail of broken servers in our wake screaming "DAMN YOU NICE GUYS!"

Seems someone has licked the GW2 juice and liked the taste, huh?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Louie wrote: »
    Doesn't the thief pistol skill have a combo?

Thief main-hand pistol basic attack is a combo finisher (20% chance).

It is not a chain skill like the sword or dagger though.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    ironzerg wrote: »
    @ironzerg: that looks correct as far as I understand. The difference is that gems cannot be bought or sold in that manner.

Why wouldn't it? You spend cash for gems out of game. In game, you bid to buy or sell those gems. The price will likely have a floor and ceiling set by Anet, but ultimately the market will be player driven.

It's fundamentally different.

If you want to buy a stack of iron from another player, you browse the Trading Post and see what people, the players themselves, personally, are offering for their stack or iron. If you think their price is fair, you buy; if not you place a buy order at a price you do think is fair.

If you want to sell a stack of iron, you browse the Trading Post and see what people, etc etc, are willing to pay with their gold. If you think the price is fair, you sell; if not you place the stack of iron on the Trading Post at a price you do think is fair.

The fundamental difference between that model and the Gem Exchange is that players have no direct influence over how much their gems are worth in gold, or their gold in gems. This exchange rate is set by ArenaNet, and is non-arguable.

So you can't put up gems at a price you think is fair and wait until another player agrees and the transaction completes. Instead, if you think the gem-to-gold conversion rate is unreasonable all you can do is not undergo the transaction until you think the rate changes to a value that you find reasonable.

• QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    I think I'm going to take up cooking as my main crafting skill. Haven't seen much talk of it at all.

• doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    I think I'm going to take up cooking as my main crafting skill. Haven't seen much talk of it at all.

Well...Cooking is the most difficult crafting skill, that much I've heard. After trying out some cooking myself, it does seem to require a decent amount of effort to acquire ingredients from different corners of the map.

what a happy day it is
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »

Because it's very expensive and time consuming.

It looks to be quite awesome, however.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

If you want to buy a stack of iron from another player, you browse the Trading Post and see what people, the players themselves, personally, are offering for their stack or iron. If you think their price is fair, you buy; if not you place a buy order at a price you do think is fair.

If you want to sell a stack of iron, you browse the Trading Post and see what people, etc etc, are willing to pay with their gold. If you think the price is fair, you sell; if not you place the stack of iron on the Trading Post at a price you do think is fair.

The fundamental difference between that model and the Gem Exchange is that players have no direct influence over how much their gems are worth in gold, or their gold in gems. This exchange rate is set by ArenaNet, and is non-arguable.

So you can't put up gems at a price you think is fair and wait until another player agrees and the transaction completes. Instead, if you think the gem-to-gold conversion rate is unreasonable all you can do is not undergo the transaction until you think the rate changes to a value that you find reasonable.

To clarify though, the gem/gold rate is set indirectly by the playerbase based on something or other to do with how many buyers and sellers there are.

• jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012

Lots of ex-WAR Iron Rock guys are going Sorrow's Furnace.

Lots of ex-DAoC guys are going Jaded Quarry.

<BAD> will be rolling on a random server, in hopes of being able to kill ex-Iron Rock guys and ex-DAoC guys.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    When I sold my gems BWE 2, I'm pretty sure I sold to someone's buy order.

Edit: And had the option of saying, "Nope, don't like that price," and putting up my own price.

Peccavi on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    FYI, we have been having more people hanging out in the TS server recently what with the stress tests and such, and have been co-ordinating other games to pass the time. So if your bored and want to get acquainted with our burgeoning general PA guild, follow the OP instructions and hop on.

As well, if there are any other PA community guilds getting setup anywhere, please let me know who and where so that I can add your info to the OP and give people more alternatives to the main guild if they are so inclined. Specifically Euro peeps who would prefer to set something up on an EU server. Keep in mind that guilds are cross character and cross server and you can represent one at a time but be in multiple guilds on all characters. So if you still want in on the NICE action on Fort Aspenwood (or wherever we end up; I'm still betting Fort Aspenwood), you'll be able to do that and be in another guild(s).

488W936.png
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Pretty sure that ship has sailed, we waffled between Fort Aspenwood and Frost Gate during one BWE but now are settled back where we belong, where everyone has wood.

Also glad to see you've started drinking from the community fountain dude, welcome aboard.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    edited August 2012

To clarify though, the gem/gold rate is set indirectly by the playerbase based on something or other to do with how many buyers and sellers there are.

Of course; it's just that ArenaNet decide what the rate is, not some nebulous market force. It's in their interest to have players buy gems (whether for gold or for gem shop purchases) because it's a stream of revenue for them. If inflation leads the gem-to-gold ratio to mean you need to spend $10 for what you can acquire in five minutes' gametime, no-one will spend real money.

In the scenario where no-one buys gems with real money and only with in-game currency, market forces of supply and demand would make the price of gems in gold rise and rise, so the price of gold in gems will fall. This makes buying gems to convert into gold an attractive idea for players because $10 worth of gems (a fixed number!) might be worth weeks of time spent in-game. In turn, this would inflate the price of goods on the Trading Post, pricing new players out of buying mundane goods unless they sink real money into in-game money. I imagine this is a scenario which ArenaNet would like to avoid, because it would make the game experience bad for the people they want playing the game and spending money on the game.

Alternatively, if everyone buys gems with real money and not using in-game currency, the price of gems in gold would plummet. This makes buying gems with in-game currency attractive because players might be able to make $10 worth of gems (remember, fixed number) in a few minutes of time spent in-game. In this case, the players are happy but no-one is buying gems with real money so ArenaNet aren't making any real money. I imagine this is a scenario which ArenaNet would also like to avoid, because profit margins.

Now, I'm not arguing that these factors are each others' negative feedbacks, but the sliding of the economy to either extreme harms ArenaNet's profits. Hence, I expect the conversion rate at the Gem Exchange will depend on the supply and demand in each direction, but ArenaNet can set the conversion rate however they like so as to avoid inflation.

Huggles on
    Just to clarify: I'll be happy to be proven wrong. What I'm writing is my understanding of how the Gem Exchange works.

Also glad to see you've started drinking from the community fountain dude, welcome aboard.

I'm still not convinced, but it has enough of what i am interested in to be worth the investment to at least feel it out and see.

• reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular

I'm still not convinced, but it has enough of what i am interested in to be worth the investment to at least feel it out and see.

Hell, even if the game initially disappoints you can check back in every couple of months or so to see if things done got better. That's what I ended up doing with GW1. God bless the lack of subscription fees.

Lots of ex-WAR Iron Rock guys are going Sorrow's Furnace.

Lots of ex-DAoC guys are going Jaded Quarry.

<BAD> will be rolling on a random server, in hopes of being able to kill ex-Iron Rock guys and ex-DAoC guys.

Ive lost track of all my old IR buddies unfortunately. Although id love to get ahold of some old Empire players who remember me and get their perspective on my old black orc. I am hoping the PA community is large enough to field some large scale WvW groups instead of getting split all over hells half acre.

Man, you are like a guy getting a blowjob from a super model and the whole time going "I am still not sure if this actually feels good or not, you know? I just am not convinced that this is FOR me!"
    Seriously bro, get your sexuality worked out and join us in happy-land!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Hell, even if the game initially disappoints you can check back in every couple of months or so to see if things done got better. That's what I ended up doing with GW1. God bless the lack of subscription fees.

Yeah ill need to break the math to the point i can get a really good grasp on how each stat interacts and where the softcaps/hardcaps start kicking to maximize my chosen playstyle, when see how interclass balance ends up working out, plus how quickly they end up fixing any major class imbalance issues that crop up.

Klyka wrote: »
    Man, you are like a guy getting a blowjob from a super model and the whole time going "I am still not sure if this actually feels good or not, you know? I just am not convinced that this is FOR me!"

New MMO's that "show promise" aren't really worth getting that excited over anymore. When im standing on the battlements raining down explosive death from above, or charging into large groups burning everything in sight ill be excited.

New MMO's that "show promise" aren't really worth getting that excited over anymore. When im standing on the battlements raining down explosive death from above, or charging into large groups burning everything in sight ill be excited.

Uh, i did that every single time I played this game, why didn't you? You were supposed to do JUST THAT!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    Someone get that man to a ballista! STAT!

• EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular

Uh, i did that every single time I played this game, why didn't you? You were supposed to do JUST THAT!

Yeah that is quite literally what I was doing for a significant portion of the last beta-weekend.

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
    edited August 2012
    Points needed defending, plus i couldnt find it, plus people needed to be burninated. I guess i made an impression because there were several times people started targeting me with the ballista just to kill me.

EDIT* Plus queuing up for WvW at l2 with no gear sounded alot less gun than SPVP where i can start experimenting with builds.

Detharin on
    Points needed defending, plus i couldnt find it, plus people needed to be burninated. I guess i made an impression because there were several times people started targeting me with the ballista just to kill me.

Wait, so you DID do WvWvW. What you are describing is exactly what you earlier said you didn't do!
    I don't get you, man. You are, like, from some strange dimension I do not comprehend.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited August 2012

Of course; it's just that ArenaNet decide what the rate is, not some nebulous market force. It's in their interest to have players buy gems (whether for gold or for gem shop purchases) because it's a stream of revenue for them. If inflation leads the gem-to-gold ratio to mean you need to spend $10 for what you can acquire in five minutes' gametime, no-one will spend real money.

In the scenario where no-one buys gems with real money and only with in-game currency, market forces of supply and demand would make the price of gems in gold rise and rise, so the price of gold in gems will fall. This makes buying gems to convert into gold an attractive idea for players because $10 worth of gems (a fixed number!) might be worth weeks of time spent in-game. In turn, this would inflate the price of goods on the Trading Post, pricing new players out of buying mundane goods unless they sink real money into in-game money. I imagine this is a scenario which ArenaNet would like to avoid, because it would make the game experience bad for the people they want playing the game and spending money on the game.

Alternatively, if everyone buys gems with real money and not using in-game currency, the price of gems in gold would plummet. This makes buying gems with in-game currency attractive because players might be able to make $10 worth of gems (remember, fixed number) in a few minutes of time spent in-game. In this case, the players are happy but no-one is buying gems with real money so ArenaNet aren't making any real money. I imagine this is a scenario which ArenaNet would also like to avoid, because profit margins.

Now, I'm not arguing that these factors are each others' negative feedbacks, but the sliding of the economy to either extreme harms ArenaNet's profits. Hence, I expect the conversion rate at the Gem Exchange will depend on the supply and demand in each direction, but ArenaNet can set the conversion rate however they like so as to avoid inflation.

If your argument is "If everybody does X, then nobody does X", I think you don't understand the system.

I'd imagine the whole thing is going to work approximately equivalently to an actual market, only abstracted slightly to improve the end-user experience. So, the exchange rate will reach a point where the number of gems sold is equal to the number of gems bought, because if gold->gems is cheaper then more people will make that exchange and drive the price up, and ditto for the other way around. Over time, this equilibrium will shift so that the price of gold->gems goes up, as gold becomes progressively more worthless (except for this one purpose, which of course drives the price up) for the majority of players.

Regarding Arena.net's income... because this is essentially a simplification of an actual exchange market, it's inevitable that any gems bought with gold are offset by an equal number of gold bought with gems, with the exclusion of some inefficiency as the market adjusts from the initial price. Their game isn't going to be flooded with free gems leading them to financial ruin.

Garthor on

Wait, so you DID do WvWvW. What you are describing is exactly what you earlier said you didn't do!
    I don't get you, man. You are, like, from some strange dimension I do not comprehend.

One of the PVP instances has a ballista, i think. At least i know at some point i was told ours was broken, and at several other points i took a fuckton of damage from something my combat log called ballista. Never went into WvWvW

• CaedereCaedere S'no regrets BIRDIESRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote: »
    Caedere wrote: »
    @Klyka Hey, check out the video I just posted when you get a sec. I wanna hear how it compares to YOUR Batman thief.

Will do in a bit.
    Edit: Ok I watched it. It's very different from my Thief. I'm not a big fan of pistol in off-hand. Your utility skills are cool, I dabbled with them too, but I like using my venoms to damage/immobilize and also heal myself.
    With dagger in off-hand I don't really need a stealth utility skill, I have cloak & dagger (which even had it's cost lowered now! YES!) for that.
    I like using the shortbow in WvWvW but so far it hasn't really clicked with me in sPvP.
    Also, I really should have taken a video by now but I keep forgetting! From your video it's pretty clear that we have a very different playstyle, so it's hard to compare!

Also, all you Thieves, you know you can't cap a point in stealth, right?

Edit: And another thing: FUCK HEARTSEEKER. That skill is so bugged, holy shit. I swear, 3 out of 5 times it misses.

I feel like pistol 4 and 5 abilities are weaker to compensate for their great combo skills - pistol whip and shadow shot are both incredible tools. I agree that Heartseeker is a little wonky to use unless you're right behind your target; but I generally only use it as a finisher so it works for me. Cloak and dagger and shadow strike I find a little harder to land, which is why I only really use pistol + dagger in teamfights for cripple and vulnerability.

That stealth build does look very fun, I think I might try a more offensive take on it.

I came up with that thief build when I tried to see how many different combo fields I could self-combo with; it then ended up evolving into "annoying as hell support thief".

Shortbow is because the 2 skill is a Blast finisher... which just so happens to work so well with the abilities that have a smoke combo field.

During the next chance I get, I'm gonna swap a sword in for my dagger, because sword's 2 (the teleport?) looks so fun.

I love terrorizing my enemies. :mrgreen:

FWnykYl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.