As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mass Effect] OLD THREAD LEAVE GO BYE SEE YA

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    Is that true? I think you only get like 65k credits for the first six waves of Platinum.

dN0T6ur.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I'm pretty sure the wave 10 reward is like 50k, maybe 55k with time bonus. So that should mean that the first 6 waves rewards ~80k total.

I'm having a hard time finding actual numbers on the intertubes though.

EDIT: It could be you're right about the 65k thing. I'm having a hard time finding it and I'm too lazy to log on and play a game to find out.

Still though, 65k in 6 waves vs 75k in 10 means you're still earning credits far faster on platinum.

Fun? Not really; but if you're purely farming (not a debate I'm interested in having), it is more efficient. Sure if you can get in a really pro team and do glacier platinum in sub-20m, that's the way to go. But on virtually every level, if you're interested in credits and credits only, Platinum is the way to go; even in a fail group. Per time spent, I think the math still comes out better even if you can only make it past the very first objective wave and wipe, then go again, than you'd get in a full Gold.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Agusalim wrote: »
    just managed my first pug platinum, gwp tho so it disnae really count

ill be honest with you its no much more interesting than gwg, a bit more frantic maybe but still pretty much the same thing

i have no idea what made the developer say that platinum wouldnae be farmed, i mean did they even try the gwg farming strategy to see if it works? because it becomes clear once the banshees start tripping over the counter that its going to work just fine

If your looking for a little more cheese try doing the palavan map from that bottom area with all those terraces. Geth come at a fair pace but cerberus gets bottlenecked by atlases so waves hit in a slow trickle. Only one choke point so no flanking either. Makes for 40 minute matches but its easy to do. Granted gold pays as good at that point.

• SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Outside of time bonuses, wave 3 is worth 15% of the total credits (110k on plat), wave 6 is worth 35%, and wave 10 is worth 50%, so yeah adding the time bonuses back in it's about 65k for 6 waves of plat.

s7Imn5J.png
  • eeSanGeeSanG I slice like a goddamn hammer. Registered User regular
    Wyborn wrote: »
    eeSanG wrote: »
    So I haven't played since like, the second chance for N7 MP weapons. Is there any easy source of changes since then available?

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/343/index/9544143

This here's got all the balance changes.

Thanks!

LFMGb.jpg
    Slice like a god damn hammer. LoL: Rafflesia / BNet: Talonflame#11979
    I pretty easily came in first on that Platinum farm, but I feel like maybe I wasn't as useful as I could have been in some ways. I didn't gel with the rest of the squad.

I'll take my Justicar next time.

dN0T6ur.png
  • DVGDVG No. 1 Honor Student Nether Institute, Evil AcademyRegistered User regular
    ILMTitan wrote: »
    I have played through the SP twice.

The first time through was with my cannon infiltrator. I played on hardcore to start and swapped up to insanity midstream. Didn't have too much trouble really.

Then the ending sucked so I said 'fuck this' and went and played MP for a while. When I finally sacked up to play the SP again I had a better handle on how explosions worked and picked adept, and oh my god. It's like being an asari adept in multiplayer, only you can carry an assault rifle and a shotgun and maintain 200%ish cooldowns, you have two squadmates' cooldowns to use to set up explosions, and mobs don't dodge every other thrown power. Ridiculous.

Wait. People use their squadmates to set up explosions? I mean, I did it when I was a Vanguard, but as an Adept I was too busy using them to strip shields so I could double area pull to set up double throw explosions everywhere. Unless they were armored. Then I was too busy warp cluster grenading everything. Also I carried a valiant just in case nothing is in power range.

Liara singularity plus Shepard throw is good times. Both are short enough cool down that you can mow through dudes on normal.

Diablo 3 - DVG#1857
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    Hmmmm, was messing around with the slayer on some silvers today.

I notice that if you try and use a power amid a melee attack, you have to wait till the attack animation is done. However, if you wait till the third attack, you can immediately use a power, such as charge.

I was charging, immediate palm blaster, melee, melee, melee, repeat. Was fairly effective, on silver at least, wax never in any danger of dying.

I kind of want to try it on gold sometime and see if it can work or not.

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • KafkaAUKafkaAU Western AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Kana wrote: »
    DreadBert wrote: »
    Elitistb wrote: »
    I would like to try platinum, I could use the credits, but I have enough problems with the lag on gold.

"Oh, hey, that prime is firing at me, I'll duck."
    Shot - hits behind wall, shot - hits behind wall, shot - hits behind wall and down.

WTF...

Guy runs over, stands me up, I try to run since I don't have shields, get behind a corner, take another 5 steps, die from something around the corner.

Try sticking to biotics so you can stay in cover, dont pop up to shoot just use powers to minimize risk. Justicar is dandy for this. GWP works since people stick to consoles. Missle instead of gun to kill when moble, reave non-crit targets for DR. Bubble when team stops running at skirmish/hold points.

Worked well when I was in hotels with silly lag spikes. Honestly it plays about the same with that class, assuming not offensive bubble.

okay here comes the prime, warp
    ...wait how did that not him him? OK, warp again
    ...Warp?
    Oh shit, okay it finally him him, time to detonate with throw
    ...throw
    ...throw
    ...throw?!?

And then 5 hunters kill you with bugs

I get this shit all the time.

The worst thing is when shit turns invisible after being stasised. I got sync killed by an invisible phantom last night.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: KafkaAU B-Net: Kafka#1778
    Platinum Round 10 Hack Objective on White's landing pad may well be the ultimate nightmare round.

The worst part is

I had used all my missiles in smoothing out objective rounds before

And nobody else brought any

dN0T6ur.png
  • OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Platinum round 10 hacks are the worst

especially when the previous two objective waves were hacks, so everybody's running low on consumables

• curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    honestly i think the multiplayer is winding down for me

i've tried all the builds, i've played all the maps, i've pubbed with all the worst and best players

it still has moments of gameplay where things really come together, but that's lately being spoiled more and more by lag and incompetence, so much that you get a quality game only a small percentage of the time

the return on time investment is definitely not what it used to be

to really reignite my interest, bioware has to come up with a new game mode, something beyond enemy special unit spam

welp at least there's leviathan to look forward to

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    Encountered some legit new players (M7 ratings of 17 and 18) tonight in some pug matches. Taught them how to play the Slayer the cheesy way and then convinced them to go into a Silver and dragged them along for a few games. It was actually kinda fun. Also got a Piranha IX in a Veteran Pack. o.O

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    if you stasis something and it desyncs, just use stasis again on it (where your client thinks it is, I mean.) It'll still get stasis'd and will resync with the client

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    I can't get sick of the multiplayer yet

I gotta get the Slayer first

dN0T6ur.png
  • dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    The Shadow has ensured that "sick of" is indefinitely delayed. The Typhoon is gonna do the same thing if I ever get my hands on one.

• AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular
    chasm wrote: »
    Encountered some legit new players (M7 ratings of 17 and 18) tonight in some pug matches. Taught them how to play the Slayer the cheesy way and then convinced them to go into a Silver and dragged them along for a few games. It was actually kinda fun. Also got a Piranha IX in a Veteran Pack. o.O

aye id assumed that the mp was winding down, def feels that way to me

but i have been encountering way more low n7 folk with kinda entry-level kit so i dunno, maybe theres been a fresh wave of new players or something? seems weird

• MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    What's the point of the Paladin weapon btw? It's heavier than a Carnifex and only has 3 rounds instead of 6?

• envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    DVG wrote: »
    ILMTitan wrote: »
    I have played through the SP twice.

The first time through was with my cannon infiltrator. I played on hardcore to start and swapped up to insanity midstream. Didn't have too much trouble really.

Then the ending sucked so I said 'fuck this' and went and played MP for a while. When I finally sacked up to play the SP again I had a better handle on how explosions worked and picked adept, and oh my god. It's like being an asari adept in multiplayer, only you can carry an assault rifle and a shotgun and maintain 200%ish cooldowns, you have two squadmates' cooldowns to use to set up explosions, and mobs don't dodge every other thrown power. Ridiculous.

Wait. People use their squadmates to set up explosions? I mean, I did it when I was a Vanguard, but as an Adept I was too busy using them to strip shields so I could double area pull to set up double throw explosions everywhere. Unless they were armored. Then I was too busy warp cluster grenading everything. Also I carried a valiant just in case nothing is in power range.

Liara singularity plus Shepard throw is good times. Both are short enough cool down that you can mow through dudes on normal.

Liara's singularity plus Shepard double throw is good on any difficulty, that's how I mowed through insanity on my adept. Liara is better than shep with singularity because there is no travel time, means the mooks can't avoid it.

What's the point of the Paladin weapon btw? It's heavier than a Carnifex and only has 3 rounds instead of 6?

It does about 166% of the damage of the Carnifex per shot. Carn I = 276 X = 345, Paladin I = 424 X = 531

steam_sig.png
    Agusalim wrote: »
    chasm wrote: »

aye id assumed that the mp was winding down, def feels that way to me

but i have been encountering way more low n7 folk with kinda entry-level kit so i dunno, maybe theres been a fresh wave of new players or something? seems weird

ME3 is on sale in the Origin store in Australia for 50% off ($30) until the end of August.

steam_sig.png
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I find it funny that the weapon named after THE large cailbur handgun (N7 Eagle, named after the Desert Eagle) is essentially a machine pistol.

However, it seems to work well enough for me on my adapt and sentinel.

When I play them.

newSig.jpg
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think the eagle might be really good if you could upgrade it faster. It's damage is comparable to the carnifex and it's a lot lighter. Unfortunately I only have an eagle 2 to compare against my carnifex 8.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    I'm wondering at what level it would be comparable to a phalanx X. Not having to mash the fire button is kinda nice, and my commendation packs sure love their eagles

steam_sig.png
  • MarkWebsterMarkWebster Ottersaurus Rex OntarioRegistered User regular
    KafkaAU wrote: »

It does about 166% of the damage of the Carnifex per shot. Carn I = 276 X = 345, Paladin I = 424 X = 531

Ah. The damage bar is barely bigger, never realised it was as much as that.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I think the eagle might be really good if you could upgrade it faster. It's damage is comparable to the carnifex and it's a lot lighter. Unfortunately I only have an eagle 2 to compare against my carnifex 8.

Besides the Predator (which, I'm wondering if that's a Shadowrun reference...) my Eagle is my next highest level pistol. Pred X, Eagle V (or possibly VI or IV).

newSig.jpg
  • SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »
    I'm wondering at what level it would be comparable to a phalanx X. Not having to mash the fire button is kinda nice, and my commendation packs sure love their eagles

By raw (not sustained) DPS on gold, provided the numbers haven't changed since back when I compared pistols (I don't think they have), and given piercing mods on each and easily attainable 60% damage bonus, they'd do roughly the same damage against armor when both were max level, while an Eagle VIII would equal the Phalanx X against everything else.

At comparable levels it's a good weapon, but since it's attainability is so scattershot and takes so long, it's usually not worth it when non-promotionals are maxed, which is why I think it needs one more buff to slide the scale a few notches (or the addition of weapon level-boosting gear capping at max). N7s should be good the way the Valiant and Hurricane are even at low level.

s7Imn5J.png

it's never been clear to me what the damage bar actually means

some guns it sounds like it's per shot, but others it seems like it's trying to communicate overall dps

also the paladin has the same issue as the eagle, kind of; it'd compare a lot more favorably to the carnifex if I had a paladin higher than 1.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Finally got a Harrier, so my N7 Soldier is running around with that and a Piranha (both at level 1). Everything dies.

Every.
    Thing.

sig.gif
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    honestly i think the multiplayer is winding down for me

i've tried all the builds, i've played all the maps, i've pubbed with all the worst and best players

it still has moments of gameplay where things really come together, but that's lately being spoiled more and more by lag and incompetence, so much that you get a quality game only a small percentage of the time

the return on time investment is definitely not what it used to be

to really reignite my interest, bioware has to come up with a new game mode, something beyond enemy special unit spam

welp at least there's leviathan to look forward to

Im getting really tired of all these level 10-16, N7 rating under 200 with a Predator 3 or Black Widow 1 trying to run Gold. It seems like all the loads of really bad players that were stuck in Silver are migrating to Gold now.

I don't enjoy Platinum :(

PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    I run Silver most of the time; Gold is too much of a PITA if the team isn't on top of it, because I'm not good enough to carry everyone else.

Never even tried Platinum.

sig.gif
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    Sorce wrote: »
    I run Silver most of the time; Gold is too much of a PITA if the team isn't on top of it, because I'm not good enough to carry everyone else.

Never even tried Platinum.

I play gold most of the time. Part of the thing that I think doesn't make it as tiresome is that even if my score is close to what the other three players make combined, I don't think of it as carrying a team. In some cases you're forcing players to be worse when you do that. When you get into the mindset that you're better than everybody else, the mistakes they make seem worse and you can lose sight of your own errors too.

I've done a few platinum games, but most of the time with the kits I see in the lobbies I decide not to chance it. Gold is a fair bit more forgiving to players with lower level gear and levels.

Even though I do play it a bit, I mix it up by playing other games too.

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    So since the ammo upgrade to the Geth Pulse Rifle it clearly outclasses the Typhoon.

• AgusalimAgusalim Registered User regular

it's never been clear to me what the damage bar actually means

some guns it sounds like it's per shot, but others it seems like it's trying to communicate overall dps

also the paladin has the same issue as the eagle, kind of; it'd compare a lot more favorably to the carnifex if I had a paladin higher than 1.

the damage bars (and for that matter all the bars) appear to mean sweet fuck all, theyre actually defined by a a different number than the actual performance numbers of the weapon and it looks like the devs werenae very conscientious about making sure they changed the bar numbers when changing the variables that actually affected the weapons in-game

iow you should pretty much ignore the bars, refer to the spreadsheet instead for your numerical needs

• jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    So I just got my first saber. How does it stack up? A complete POS or worth using?

Xbox Live: Jefe414
    At level one its kinda bleh. It fires slow and you need to make head shots with it. If you are an accurate shooter it is a pretty good weapon.

• DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    envoy1 wrote: »
    isn't that like evidence of cheating?

It most certainly is.

i dont think he even needs to cheat, he managed to solo a few platinum waves sometimes.

• SirsonSirson Registered User regular
    jefe414 wrote: »
    So I just got my first saber. How does it stack up? A complete POS or worth using?

Defin not a piece of shit, it's a solid semi auto rifle.

• KanaKana Registered User regular
    saber is one of those guns that isn't ALWAYS good, but with certain class combos it can be really nasty, especially with a few more levels.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    I've been getting rare gear drops in 3 of 4 Vet Packs lately...is that normal?

steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.