As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Horror] The Tattered King: Investigator Steamroll Victory!

• Options
    GreenbaronsGreenbarons CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Invisible Castle doesn't want to send me a confirmation email so Orokos will have to do.

Pete wandered into the dark cave, glad to be out of the rain. He was less glad when he saw the giant looming monolith of flesh floating before him. This creature was a real terror all of it was just wrong. Pete dove behind a rock as the monster slowly glided by. Protected by his dark cloak the creature never even knew Pete was there. Sometime later after he was certain the creature was gone Pete breathed a sigh of relief.

Sneaking past the Cthonian: 5d6h5 2 Successes

Greenbarons on
  • Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
  • Options
    calibercaliber Registered User regular
  • Options
    "So you say this will keep me safe, guaranteed?" Jenny had her doubts, but with all of the strange disappearances in town, and her close brush this evening, she figured it was worth a try anyway. "I'll take it!"

Buy Blue Watcher of the Pyramid, down to $1.

• Options
    "So you say this will keep me safe, guaranteed?" Jenny had her doubts, but with all of the strange disappearances in town, and her close brush this evening, she figured it was worth a try anyway. "I'll take it!"

Buy Blue Watcher of the Pyramid, down to $1.

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
  • Options
    MYTHOS PHASE:

Mythos51.png

A gate to the City of the Great Race (Symbol: Triangle, Modifier: +0) opens in the Graveyard! The doom track is now 1/13.

A Warlock appears in the Graveyard!
    A Cultist appears in the Graveyard!

A clue is added to the Unvisited Isle, which Mandy collects.

No SPELLS may be cast!

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Wow, a post I wrote first showing up half an hour later, double-posted. Shoggoths man, how do they work?

Will get my turn up later today.

caliber on
  • Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Move to South Church, evading the Formless Spawn
    FAIL!
    Clue token 1 FAIL!
    Clue token 2 FAIL!
    Clue token 3 FAIL!
    Clue token 4 FAIL!

7 dice, not one success... You were right about that dice hex mi-go!

Horror check PASS!
    Combat, is where I get battered, as without magic I can't hurt it, so I'm off to hospital!

Where I will need to discard a spell as I have 2 items, lose Voice of Ra...

That is unless Mandy wants to let me reroll my evade check???????????????????
    I was planning on moving to the church and blessing someone, hadn't decided who, if I make it there because of the reroll you can pick who!

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Aw, I wish I'd gone and killed it for you. Would've needed to pass the Horror check, but that's not impossible. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. I'll probably just go find sanity if I'm not needed too badly anywhere else.

• Options
    Go get better, otherwise one bad roll (See above) and you could lose half your stuff, and thats way more of an issue for you.

• Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    You could try to flee from the combat, couldn't you?

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Once an investigator fails an Evade check, he or she must immediately take the Combat damage. So since you failed the Evade check once, you are down to 1 Stamina. You may ask for a reroll, or you may try to evade it again if you wish.

@Cerberus

However, you lost all your movement points so even if you succeed the second Evade check, you are stuck in Uptown.

If you do get a reroll and you pass,
    you can move to the Church normally and your Stamina will remain at 3.

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    Ok, Cereberus, you may use Mandy's reroll if you wish. I think it's better than take a hit and stuck on the street

• Options
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who do you think would be best for a blessing?
    That was 1 success from 10 dice!

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Cerberus wrote: »
    FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who do you think would be best for a blessing?
    That was 1 success from 10 dice!

Oh yeah, you could reroll dice from the spent clue tokens. So you could have rerolled 7 dice... but you pass anyway so that doesn't matter.

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    The gate was closed and sealed. Mandy breathed a sigh of relief but suddenly she heared a strange voice. It was a woman reading a chant in unknown language. Mandy decided to run before the spell takes its effect. Speed/Sneak slider to 1/5. She left the mysterious island and returned to streets of Arkham.
    Mandy was making her way through the streets thinking about all the things she learnt in her travel and did not notice a figure shambled from the dark. Zombie rushed at her making her scream in panic. It was too late to run, so Mandy drew her axe and prepared to defend herself. The axe rose and fell, and the zombie was defeated

• Options
    Question, should I
    A) Go to the church and bless someone? (If so who?)
    B) Go to the historical society to get back clues and there I have a chance of bouncing a gate?

• Options
    I'm not sure, but I'd pick up the clues. We'll need a lot of them.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Feeling rejuvenated from a bit of shopping, and strangely protected from the strange sculpture the shopkeeper had sold her, Jenny decided to head to the old Unnamable house mentioned in that absurd play. Standing outside, she pulled a smoke from her favorite cigarette case. As if some spooky old house could really be haunted. Hah! Lighting up, she headed inside to see what could be found ...

Move to the Unnamable, pick up the clue there.

(For my own reference purposes, because I keep forgetting what I have ...)
    Stamina: 3
    Sanity: 6
    Money: $1
    Speed/Sneak: 3/1
    Fight/Will: 3/3
    Lore/Luck: 4/3 (+1 from Luck)
    Clues: 1

Items: Shotgun (2h, +4 phys, 6's count double), Lucky Cigarette Case (discard, re-roll skill check), Curious Lamp (2h, +5 mag), Blue Watcher (2 stam + discard, auto pass combat or gate closure)
    Skills: Luck (+1 Luck, +1 die/clue on Luck rolls)
    Spells: Flesh Ward (-2 cast, 1 stam, exhaust, ignore all stam loss from 1 effect)

caliber on
  • Options
    Daemonis wrote: »
    The gate was closed and sealed. Mandy breathed a sigh of relief but suddenly she heared a strange voice. It was a woman reading a chant in unknown language. Mandy decided to run before the spell takes its effect. Speed/Sneak slider to 1/5. She left the mysterious island and returned to streets of Arkham.
    Mandy was making her way through the streets thinking about all the things she learnt in her travel and did not notice a figure shambled from the dark. Zombie rushed at her making her scream in panic. It was too late to run, so Mandy drew her axe and prepared to defend herself. The axe rose and fell, and the zombie was defeated

You collect the Zombie as a trophy!

Don't forget that you have the SNEAK skill which should give you an extra die when you made the Evade check against the Witch.

• Options
    i'll get the clue tokens...

• Options
  • Options
    Don't forget that you have the SNEAK skill which should give you an extra die when you made the Evade check against the Witch.
    I think I have Speed skill :)

• Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Since you will not be using the axe for a bit can I take it @blahmcblah when I pass by you again?

With +4 to physical damage I can try to take on the Warlock and Cultist this turn.

With the warlock tokens I will be at 9 and can seal the gate.

Change Fight/Will to 3/2, change Lore/Luck to 3/3.

Roll for retainer Fail +$2 now at $3

I'll wait on blahmcblah for the answer about the axe, I can understand if you do not want to give up your only physical weapon, if not I'll head somewhere else for this turn.

I might be being too reckless in wanting to jump through a gate this turn, we seem to be doing pretty well right now.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    Keep skill sliders the same. Move to the Witches House

Pete continued to wander the streets, the rain still had not let up, but he was not about to go into any more caves. Perhaps he could find some place that would let him in? This house looked promising he thought as he opened the door.

"Hello?"

I"m at 7 clue tokens right now, 1 more and I will run a gate.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Ah, I was going to keep the axe as without it I'm useless against magical immunity. But I'm not going to get to fight the Warlock until next turn anyway, so that's fine. I could probably go get another physical weapon from the general store anyway.

Bob had seen too much and needed a break from this topsy-turvy world. He stumbled into what looked like a hospital and manged to just get out the words "Need help... with my head... I have money...." before curling into the fetal position on the floor.

Move to Arkham Asylum, pay $2 for full sanity.

• Options
    Thanks blahmcblah, you'll only slightly regret this.

Move past Downtown, taking the axe from Bob, move to the graveyard.

Face the Warlock first, Horror Check Derp Fail, lose one sanity, down to 4.

Fight check with Axe and Saber Fail -1 Stamina, at 3.

Second fight check, Success +2 clues and Warlock is returned to the Box, at 9 clues now.

No Horror check against the cultist, Combat check at 5 dice Success, I collect the Cultist.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Gloria looked down at the silver backed bills in her hand. Was this all her talents were useful for, entertaining people, never really making a difference? Jefferies had been helpful in his own way but writing an advice column when the world was at stake? She pocketed the advance hoping he had not realized she never intended to be back.

Sitting on a bench she opened the back issued newspaper that had been haggled out of the editor as part of her payment. The piece on the theater company seemed normal enough, listing various small time actors and a fairly famous director known for putting on cutting edge works. Then it hit her, the producer.

One of Gloria's common tactics for the characters in her stories involved looking at gravestones and researching then imagining the lives and fates of those now passed away. A chill ran down her spine as she looked at the engraving of Mr. Harkland, the financier of the play, in the newspaper. She had seen his face, and name, on a grave from the civil war. His supposed story had even featured as a small part in one of her works.

Was she going mad? Was this just a descendant who looked similar? The real Harkland had been a bastard, moving near the war-front and profiteering off the chaos. A spy, executed by the Union army and returned here to Arkham to rest in shame.

She put the paper away and hailed a cab. She needed to check, just to make sure. "I should probably bring a shovel" she laughed to herself.

Void Slayer on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Roll for retainer Fail +$2 now at $3

You don't have to roll for a Retainer the same turn you receive it, so you still keep it fortunately.

ARKHAM ENCOUNTERS:

Bob Jenkins in the Asylum:
    Recuperating... now his Sanity is at 4/4

"Ashcan" Pete in the The Witch House:
    You feel the house actually breathe and speak your name. Lose 1 Sanity.
    @Greenbarons shivers in fear. You may use your Whiskey to negate the loss if you wish.

Jenny Barnes in the Unnameable:
    You bump into Eric Colt. He tells you a horrible tale of the Mythos to test your nerve. If you listen, lose 2 Sanity. If this doesn't drive you insane, take his Ally card if it is available. If it is not available, you may pump him for information instead. Gain 3 Clue tokens.
    Will @caliber listen?

Kate Winthrop in the Historical Society:
    You meet Cindy Fleming, a young geology professor at the University. She offers to show you some interesting formations at the Black Cave. If you accept, move to the Black Cave and draw 2 cards, encountering one card of your choice and discarding the other.
    Do you want to go on their outing, @Cerberus ?

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    Yes

• Options
    edited August 2012
    OW ENCOUNTERS:

Gloria Goldberg in the City of the Great Race Area 1:
    Choose one of the two encounters @Void Slayer

- The odd plant has you in its clutches. Pass a Fight (-1) check to break free. If you fail, lose 1 Stamina and 1 Sanity as it partially digests you.

- Wedged beneath a fallen stone is a spell. Draw 1 Spell.

Actually, the choice is obvious. Gloria receives the Voice of Ra spell!

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    Kate Winthrop in the Black Cave:

- The moaning winds in the cave whisper your name. Lose 1 Sanity.

- You are in a maze of twisty passages, all alike. Pass a Lore (-2) check or become lost. If you fail, lose 1 Stamina and stay here next turn.

@Cerberus must choose the lesser of the two evils.

• Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Take the sanity loss, save the whiskey.

Pete entered the quiet house, Duke close at his heels. "Hello is anyone there?" Pete questioned, there was no answer. Pete began to explore the house, continuously calling out. After some time he heard someone call back "Peete" it whispered. Pete tried to find the voice, following it after it called him again and again. Finally he reached a door at the end of the hallway, he could clearly hear the voice on the other side. Pete opened the door, revealing a empty broom closet. He was rather shaken by his experience and pulled out his bottle of whiskey, shaking his head he returned it to his pocket, this night seemed to be a strange one, he would probably need it more before the dawn came.

• Options
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Knocking on the door to ensure the house was abandoned, Jenny was surprised as a rugged looking man opened the door. "I was expecting you," he gruffly said. "Please enter."

Unsure of his intentions, yet still feeling protected by the strange blue statue, Jenny slowly walked inside as the stranger began to spin a strange yarn of dangers in the town. Looking about the house as he talked, the walls seemed to shift, the corners to bend and flex at strange angles. Surely there was some madness in this home, some insanity she could sense if not identify. Nodding at the stranger's continued ramblings, she leaped at the opportunity to leave when he indicated he possessed a car out back. "Yes, please tell me more of your story as long as we go somewhere else!"

Take on Eric Colt, lose 2 san. I'll use that speed to go squash some monsters next round

Edit: Is there any kind of sblock tag on this board? I guess I could just keep my character sheet in a text file but I tend to connect from multiple locations ...

(For my own reference purposes, because I keep forgetting what I have ...)
    Stamina: 3
    Sanity: 4
    Money: $1
    Speed/Sneak: 5/1 (+2 from Eric Colt)
    Fight/Will: 3/3
    Lore/Luck: 4/3 (+1 from Luck)
    Clues: 1

Items: Shotgun (2h, +4 phys, 6's count double), Lucky Cigarette Case (discard, re-roll skill check), Curious Lamp (2h, +5 mag), Blue Watcher (2 stam + discard, auto pass combat or gate closure)
    Skills: Luck (+1 Luck, +1 die/clue on Luck rolls)
    Spells: Flesh Ward (-2 cast, 1 stam, exhaust, ignore all stam loss from 1 effect)
    Allies: Eric Colt (+2 Speed, nightmarish immunity)

caliber on