As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Presidential Election 2012: I'm too old for this Mitt.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    Shorty wrote: »
    Maximum wrote: »
    monorail

seattle has one of those

it is a silly boondoggle for tourists

We're also connecting the downtown tunnel system up to the Hill, and putting a 1st/Cap Hill streetcar.

Gotta spend money to build shit.

This whole idea of not spending money but still building things can eat my ass.

oh, I know

not saying all monorails/infrastructure is silly

just that our monorail is dumb

looking forward to our expanded light rail system, though

• TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Sticks wrote: »
    Hey dru, were things always this bad in politics?

Tell us how things were when Hoover was running for office.

Taft?

Polk?

Dru is still bitter from when the patricians lost some power to the plebs in early Rome.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    Fandyien wrote: »
    american politics are rubbing off on all the commonwealth countries

hth LOL
    German conservatives tried / are trying the same, but so far it only lead to the pirate party suddenly getting into 10% regions

It's great.

No it's not great.

If the pirate party gets anywhere close to those numbers for the next nationwide election it will destroy any chance of a coalition of left leaning parties that are actually capable of running the country.

Which leaves us with a Merkel lead "great" coalition.

And that would be shitty.
    Even if in hindsight the last great coalitions was leagues better then the current circus.

• JarsJars Registered User regular
    harper is on the boarder with some binoculars and a note pad

• tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    i find it particularly interesting and sad that nearly all americans act like they are political geniuses

but i havent got the slightest clue as to the political goings on of other countries, and i would say most people in the US are the same way

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    Sticks wrote: »
    Hey dru, were things always this bad in politics?

Tell us how things were when Hoover was running for office.

Taft?

Polk?

Dru is still bitter from when the patricians lost some power to the plebs in early Rome.

dru is still bitter about the switch from hieroglyphic to hellenic text

edited August 2012
    tugga wrote: »
    i find it particularly interesting and sad that nearly all americans act like they are political geniuses

but i havent got the slightest clue as to the political goings on of other countries, and i would say most people in the US are the same way

You wanna hear a funny story about German politics?

A few years ago out supreme court ruled parts of our voting law unconstitutional and ordered the government to craft a new one.

So being a bunch of sleazy partisan hacks our current coalition set out to craft a new law that specifically favors their parties.

But because they are incompetent hacks the new law was again found unconstitutional and struck down by the supreme court.

Which means that Germany currently has no voting law for the election next year.

HoA-player on
    that sounds like something that could just as easily happen in the US

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    hey dudes, so I've moved since the last election. My drivers license and whatnot are updated for my current address, but I haven't set up anything as far as voting goes. What do I need to do to vote here? It's the same state (PA), different county and township.

• autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    HoA-player wrote: »

hth LOL
    German conservatives tried / are trying the same, but so far it only lead to the pirate party suddenly getting into 10% regions

It's great.

No it's not great.

If the pirate party gets anywhere close to those numbers for the next nationwide election it will destroy any chance of a coalition of left leaning parties that are actually capable of running the country.

Even if in hindsight the last great coalitions was leagues better then the current circus.
    What? Why do you think a left coalition with the pirate party would be impossible?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular

A few years ago out supreme court ruled parts of our voting law unconstitutional and ordered the government to craft a new one.

So being a bunch of sleazy partisan hacks our current coalition set out to craft a new law that specifically favors their parties.

But because they are incompetent hacks the new law was again found unconstitutional and struck down by the supreme court.

Which means that Germany currently has no voting law for the election next year.
    Sometimes I think the only remotely well working part of the german political landscape is our supreme court

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    zucchini wrote: »
    hey dudes, so I've moved since the last election. My drivers license and whatnot are updated for my current address, but I haven't set up anything as far as voting goes. What do I need to do to vote here? It's the same state (PA), different county and township.

i think you basically have to "re-register" at the new address

but i don't know, this website should be able to help

http://www.votespa.com/portal/server.pt/community/home/13514

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

hth LOL

It's great.

No it's not great.

What? Why do you think a left coalition with the pirate party would be impossible?

The pirate party is no way near ready to actively participate in the government.

A minority coalition that is being tolerated by the pirate party might be possible is some bundesländer.

But on a national scale? No way.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular

Sometimes I think the only remotely well working part of the german political landscape is our supreme court

That seems mostly true in the US, too, though ours may be way more political than yours

• UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    well SCOTUS definitely gets things done in that it does things

l8e1peic77w3.jpg

hth LOL

It's great.

No it's not great.

The pirate party is no way near ready to actively participate in the government.

A minority coalition that is being tolerated by the pirate party might be possible is some bundesländer.

How did it work with the greens back then?

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg

hth LOL

It's great.

No it's not great.

How did it work with the greens back then?

It took the greens from 1980 until 1998 to get into a national coalition. 18 years they used to gather experience in the opposition and state governments.

They wouldn't have been ready after 4 years either.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    We need an amendment so that we have a voting period that extends past just election day. Like, at least starting the friday prior, having at least one full weekend for voting.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    didn't the pirate party, like, play some horribly embarassing MLP videos in the bundestag or whatever

nice work germany

reposig.jpg
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    I have a question regarding voting

I live for most of the year in the UK, but I am registered to vote in North Carolina. How do I go about getting an absentee ballot? Do I have to go find the consulate?

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Tox on
    Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Why do some people tell me that welfare and our social safety net aren't Christian?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • ThetherooThetheroo Registered User regular
    Absentee voting seems haaaarrrrdddd

Isn't there just some url I can type in and click a box? That seems simple enough.

• dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    So poor Romney and the GOP, having to deal with Obama lowering the national discourse, will have an Obama impersonator perform a skit at the convention with Donald Trump.

This is the dumbest election ever.

• satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    my kingdom for that impersonator to be in blackface

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Why do some people tell me that welfare and our social safety net aren't Christian?

Short answer: Because they don't know what they're talking about.

Longer answer: the logic goes like this: Christians should give to charity; Welfare is mandatory charity; therefore, Welfare is the government taking upon itself responsibilties that rightfully belong to the church. additionally, giving to charity should be a voluntary act, because giving of your own volition enriches your soul, therefore Welfare takes away some incentive to give to charity.

Note that none of this is actually based on scripture, but rather the logic of evangelical conservatism.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    So poor Romney and the GOP, having to deal with Obama lowering the national discourse, will have an Obama impersonator perform a skit at the convention with Donald Trump.

This is the dumbest election ever.

There's always next election. Especially if Romney fails, that'd drive the GOP further rightward politically.

Harry Dresden on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular

Longer answer: the logic goes like this: Christians should give to charity; Welfare is mandatory charity; therefore, Welfare is the government taking upon itself responsibilties that rightfully belong to the church. additionally, giving to charity should be a voluntary act, because giving of your own volition enriches your soul, therefore Welfare takes away some incentive to give to charity.

A guy also told me that Jesus wasn't a fan of social justice, that we shouldn't meddle with the systems of government even if they're ultimately oppressive and stuff like that. That's some good medieval divine right type shit right there.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    didn't the pirate party, like, play some horribly embarassing MLP videos in the bundestag or whatever

nice work germany
    oh shit. ok fuck them.

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Even if the republicans somehow manage to not win the coming election. they're almost certain to win the one after that without much trouble.

jaziek on
    Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
    edited August 2012
    what are you talking about. romney is a terrible candidate who only has a chance of winning because of the vast amount of money he has, and even then it's not a very good one at all. then in 2016 they get to go up against a white male so there goes half their reason for being upset

Jars on
  • Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    jaziek wrote: »
    Even if the republicans somehow manage to not win the coming election. they're almost certain to win the one after that without much trouble.

It's the American way™

• Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Romney doesn't stand a chance, this is a throw-away election. The real question is how much recovery or damage the republican party can get with this election for when they put a real candidate forward for the 2016 election.

Jars wrote: »
    what are you talking about. romney is a terrible candidate who only has a chance of winning because of the vast amount of money he has, and even then it's not a very good one at all. then in 2016 they get to go up against a white male so there goes half their reason for being upset

You're forgetting that a lot of people HATE Obama from all sides of the political spectrum.

Romney has a good chance of winning this election.

• jaziekjaziek Bad at everything And mad about it.Registered User regular

That makes it a damn good chance. This thing hasn't even gotten started yet.

And in 2016, the fact that it's gonna be a white male again is gonna be just as much of a detriment to the the democrats as it is to the republicans.

Steam ||| SC2 - Jaziek.377 on EU & NA. ||| Twitch Stream
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

A guy also told me that Jesus wasn't a fan of social justice, that we shouldn't meddle with the systems of government even if they're ultimately oppressive and stuff like that. That's some good medieval divine right type shit right there.

Yeah, that guy doesn't know what he's talking about. Jesus did teach to be good citizens of the state, and Paul expanded on that to endure oppression with grace, but of course the huge difference between then and now is that first century Christians had no hope of representation in the government. Nowhere in scripture does it say that social programs are bad, even indirectly.

no he doesn't. he's a terrible candidate no one likes with a base that is insane. who knows what obama has left over for when the real campaigning actually starts

jaziek wrote: »

That makes it a damn good chance. This thing hasn't even gotten started yet.

And in 2016, the fact that it's gonna be a white male again is gonna be just as much of a detriment to the the democrats as it is to the republicans.

Hillary will be the nominee if she decides to run, other than that, Elizabeth Warren is the new star of the party.

edited August 2012
    no he doesn't. he's a terrible candidate no one likes with a base that is insane. who knows what obama has left over for when the real campaigning actually starts

but people like his running mate.

and it doesn't matter that people like him, there are people who just despise obama and who want to see terrible things happen to him. they will vote for romney no matter what.

dbrock270 on
This discussion has been closed.