As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] Mobile Apps for Prime 2012

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
edited September 2012 in PAX West
The official guide has been released on guidebook!

http://guidebook.com/g/pax2012/

Moe Fwacky on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Some other useful apps for PAX are

A QR reader (I prefer this)
    buttoneering

• Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    @zerzhul (or anyone else for that matter): Any recommendations on a QR reader for iOS?

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    is it not loading for anyone else? i've redownloaded it twice now

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    The QR Reader from Tap Media has done well for my iPhone so far.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    @zerzhul (or anyone else for that matter): Any recommendations on a QR reader for iOS?

Last year I think my wife used RedLaser which worked pretty well.

• ohkateyohkatey Owner of Bitch Team Alpha Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    tsrblke wrote: »

Last year I think my wife used RedLaser which worked pretty well.

In my experience, RedLaser works very well.

pax primer @ <3
  • edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Actually, if you get the iOS guidebook for pax, there is a scanner in the pax xp section as well as the bottom left of the front page of the app.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • VanusVanus Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    sanovah wrote: »
    is it not loading for anyone else? i've redownloaded it twice now

I seem to be having this issue as well. It shows up in my guides, and when I try and open it, it brings up the "loading, one sec!" message, but when that leaves it stays on the home screen.

EDIT: It would appear there's an update to the Guidebook app that didn't get pushed/notified to my phone. That fixed the problem.

Vanus on
  • evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I am trying to use the new Guidebook guide that was just released for PAX 2012, and when I click to open after downloading the guide won't load.
    Is it a problem with the guide, or is it not really out yet?

evanextreme on
    New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
    I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
  • Little Miss RachelLittle Miss Rachel Geek Chick Before Geek Was Chic Idahoan ExileRegistered User regular
    Actually, if you get the iOS guidebook for pax, there is a scanner in the pax xp section as well as the bottom left of the front page of the app.

Oh, very cool. That could make things much more convenient. I might check out RedLaser, too.

edited August 2012

Thanks, I'll add that to the list as well. =)

Little Miss Rachel on
  • JensunamiJensunami TacomaRegistered User regular
    I am trying to use the new Guidebook guide that was just released for PAX 2012, and when I click to open after downloading the guide won't load.
    Is it a problem with the guide, or is it not really out yet?

Like Vanus I had to update the app and then it downloaded fine :)

• dragon keeper xdragon keeper x Registered User regular
    was going through the map on the guidebook and didnt see where the pc freeplay was being held since the league tourny was where the pc room used to be. anyone know where pc freepelay is this year?

Max sig size: 500x80px <3 Moe
    sig_dragonx.jpg
    was going through the map on the guidebook and didnt see where the pc freeplay was being held since the league tourny was where the pc room used to be. anyone know where pc freepelay is this year?

PC Is on the 3rd floor of the Annex.

• OrosoOroso Enforcer PortlandRegistered User regular
    World Map: B

It will be in the Annex, where Halofest was last year if you're familiar.

• BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I let PA know of the missing annex map. They are looking into it with guidebook.

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    thanks for the heads up, snagged the app

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
  • TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    Bummer, still no standalone app for WP7 :(

• ProximaProxima Registered User regular
    Sorry about the earlier android issues guys -- we pushed out an update at midnight last night but I guess it didn't propagate to all the servers quick enough so some people had an outdated version. In any case, just make sure you are on the latest version of GB and everything should be gravy.

As an aside, you can now "share" most objects within the guide, so if you guys are looking for desktop versions of anything you can grab the link from there (maps, photos, albums, etc).

• MalgarasMalgaras Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    By the way, is there any way to make it show the START times on the individual events instead of just "until X:XX"? I know it's my own damn fault, but I have a habit of reading the end time there as the start time without thinking and then miss stuff.

Malgaras on
    1tLJUH2O.png
    ^^ well, the start times are listed in the header above whatever event you're looking at. Currently no way to swap the position of those at this point in time :(

• sanovahsanovah Nerd of the West San Diego, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    in guidebook does it say where the theaters are? i've been looking and cant find anything

EDIt: Never mind i just found it for anyone like me the list is on the WSCC level 2 and 3 section of the map part on the bottom left corner. zoom in to see it

sanovah on
  • mikegonzalezmikegonzalez Registered User regular

Actually did some research on this last night, as I'm thinking of making a QR badge sticker with my contact info. Lifehacker suggested "Scan" as the best iPhone QR reader, and it seems great so far. Super simple, super quick, and super free. :)

It opens on the scan page and saves all your scans in the history for easy access.

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
  • jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular

Actually did some research on this last night, as I'm thinking of making a QR badge sticker with my contact info. Lifehacker suggested "Scan" as the best iPhone QR reader, and it seems great so far. Super simple, super quick, and super free. :)

It opens on the scan page and saves all your scans in the history for easy access.

I used Scan last year for PAX XP and it worked perfectly; the scan history was very helpful for trying to piece together the phrase at 2am Saturday morning! Hopefully the built in scanner will make things easier this year.

PimDtoK.png
    edited August 2012
    Guys there is a "scanner" module in the PAX guide (under PAX XP) specifically for scanning QR codes @ pax. This will also track all the XP stuff you've scanned within the guide.

Proxima on
    Proxima wrote: »
    Guys there is a "scanner" module in the PAX guide (under PAX XP) specifically for scanning QR codes @ pax. This will also track all the XP stuff you've scanned within the guide.

Is it only to be used for the PAX XP QR Codes? I tried it twice yesterday on some random QR codes and it wasn't working. It seemed to quickly register the code, but just kept "pinwheeling" (I assume, processing) and never giving out a result. Double checked the QR codes themselves, using other apps, and they seem to be fine.

"I'm a reasonable guy. But, I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."

XBL: ii Mike G ii - PSN: Greddy21 - Steam: notmikegonzalez - Slytherin - Death Eater
  • PayneTraynePayneTrayne Canuck Registered User regular
    The fact that this things works without Wi-Fi is fucking amazing to me. Technology, amirite?

PAX East 2015:Get on Pokecrawl Team Yellow Silver [ ] Pass [X] Vacation Time [X] Hotel [X] Flights [ ] PAX East 2015 Complete [ X ] Sell Extra Set of Badges because Friend Bailed [ ]
  • SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    zerzhul wrote:
    The official guide has been released on guidebook!

http://guidebook.com/g/pax2012/

Funny, I literally checked the day before and it wasn't out yet.

Glad this has been released! :-D

qxd8or7ouox3.png
    Proxima wrote: »

Is it only to be used for the PAX XP QR Codes? I tried it twice yesterday on some random QR codes and it wasn't working. It seemed to quickly register the code, but just kept "pinwheeling" (I assume, processing) and never giving out a result. Double checked the QR codes themselves, using other apps, and they seem to be fine.

iOS or Android? It should work with all, but there are bound to be issues so I would reserve it for only pax xp stuff for now.

iOS, on an iPhone 4. Otherwise, great app. Love the panel alerts and such.

• TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    iOS, on an iPhone 4. Otherwise, great app. Love the panel alerts and such.

I wish there was a way to customize the alerts... sometimes the 1 hour alert just isn't early enough depending on the panels.

Oh well, custom reminders on my phone is always an option too, overall the app is awesome though.

• ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    Really need an iPad version of guidebook. The iPhone version just doesn't do it justice on the iPad.

Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
    vn6ID15.png

• Xtian80Xtian80 Registered User regular
    I know we are getting down to the last few days before this starts, but is there a chance at getting a WP7 version of Guidebook??...yes I know I can use the mobile site but it would be nice if there was an app

Xtian80 wrote: »
    I know we are getting down to the last few days before this starts, but is there a chance at getting a WP7 version of Guidebook??...yes I know I can use the mobile site but it would be nice if there was an app

You'll want to ask guidebook for that ;).
    I use PAX digital assistant. (http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e) There's Pocket PAX too, but it's new as of east last year, so I've never used it (And dunno if it'll be updated.)

AWESOME!! Thanks a ton.

It seemed like Proxima was somehow involved with Guidebook, so I was kinda asking him(?) about a WP7 version, but it looks like both of the apps that you mentioned are either updated already or going to be updated in time for PAX. I downloaded both of them, I'm gonna mess with them in the coming days to see which one I like better. Thanks again for the recommendations!

• jacalatajacalata Registered User regular
    I wrote the Pax digital assistant app, an update is almost ready - should be out this week.

Check out my PAX schedule assistant for Windows Phone - http://www.windowsphone.com/en-us/store/app/pax-digital-assistant/6e56d005-983a-e011-854c-00237de2db9e. Feel free to send me feedback or requests at any time!
    Xtian80 wrote: »
    AWESOME!! Thanks a ton.

It seemed like Proxima was somehow involved with Guidebook, so I was kinda asking him(?) about a WP7 version, but it looks like both of the apps that you mentioned are either updated already or going to be updated in time for PAX. I downloaded both of them, I'm gonna mess with them in the coming days to see which one I like better. Thanks again for the recommendations!
    Proxima makes guidebook

jacalata wrote: »
    I wrote the Pax digital assistant app, an update is almost ready - should be out this week.

That would be awesome because so far, as far as I can tell, both of the apps are still only for PAX East. But as far as I can tell it looks like PAX digital assistant is a pretty solid app. Hope that update drops real soon. Also, thank you for making this app

jacalata wrote: »

Sir, you do great work. Thanks for providing this resource (and doing at no cost to us PAXites).

Sorry, we would LOVE to have a WP7 version, but at the moment our team is pretty small so we have to prioritize our platforms at that means iOS/Android for native apps at the moment.

And yes, I am one of the co-founders of Guidebook.

This discussion has been closed.