As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Some people get badges, some don't?

EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles.Portland, ORRegistered User regular
So, I've noticed a lot of people with "Comment" and "Combo Breaker" badges, both of which should've registered for me, but they just aren't there. I just have the Anniversary Badges. Working as intended because I'm a giant goose or something else?

Esh on

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Esh wrote:
    So, I've noticed a lot of people with "Comment" and "Combo Breaker" badges, both of which should've registered for me, but they just aren't there. I just have the Anniversary Badges. Working as intended because I'm a giant goose or something else?

Those were people who posted before those auto-badges were shut off.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    Esh wrote:

Out of morbid curiosity, why were they shut off?

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    Esh wrote: »
    Esh wrote:

Not a mod or anything, but if I had to guess I'd say it's because rewarding a bunch of game players to post a lot would inevitably lead to a lot of crappy posting.
    I for one can live without seeing a series of "Almost to my next cheevo badge!" "3 to go!" "Only 2 more..." "Almost...." "WOO! BADGE GET!" posts.

The mods have there hands full handling the usual jackassery of the forums, not to mention the spammers. I wouldn't want to inflict that on them as well.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Esh wrote:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/23855749/#Comment_23855749

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:

Because they were farmable, pointless, and never really intended for our forums (in that form); or so I gather from this:
    Tube wrote: »
    To start off I should say that the answer to any "why was this feature included" question from the Penny Arcade side is "because it was in the update". None of these were feature requests from our side. That doesn't mean however that we're going to ignore them if they can make the board better (or that we won't disabled them if they don't). I actually pitched badgers to Robert a couple of years ago but we never got round to implementing it. It's also important that the community realises that any and all of these features can and will be switched off if I don't like the way they're effecting the forums. @icyliquid and @ramius will be able to tell you that much to their personal pain the first thing I do with any feature upgrades is disable 90% of the functionality.
    1: why badgers? I know they're used as rewards for active forumers on other websites and are often used as a way to identify people who can best be described as regulars or pillars of the community. Is this your intention with the forums as well? Do you have other features in the pipeline that build on this framework?

At the most basic level it adds an extra feature that will be fine for some and, crucially, completely ignorable for others. It is not intended as a simple badger of honour for the most frequent posters, or as a way to distinguish "noobs". How the badger system is going to operate here is still under discussion, but we plan to use them to reward actual, real contributions to the community (running Child's Play drives, donating, gifting through the Steam thread, going out of your way to help other forumers). This might end up meaning that badgers are given manually by moderators. Two rules of thumb we're going by
    1. Badgers must not be farmable
    2. Anyone attempting to farm badgers or saying "I so deserve a badger for this" will be kicked in the tits. We can also use badgers punitively, to, for instance; mark a forumer as consistently giving bad advice in H&A threads or as someone who welched on Secret Santa.

This thread has the other 2/3s of that post and a few more rather informative posts about the new Vanilla stuff and the future.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    It isn't a big deal or anything, but I think they should delete the badges for those people who got them. I would support getting rid of every badge, so that the "point leaderboards" would only be based on awesomes and agrees.

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    It isn't a big deal or anything, but I think they should delete the badges for those people who got them. I would support getting rid of every badge, so that the "point leaderboards" would only be based on awesomes and agrees.

It's not a competition.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    HELL YEAH IT IS.

From what I hear they're working on removing those badges.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    says the guy with only 4 badgers

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular

I don't they give out the "Agree" ones anymore either. I have 11 agrees but no badge.

• spacekungfumanspacekungfuman Poor and minority-filled Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    says the guy with only 4 badgers

4 badgers is plenty in my book. It already takes so long to feed, groom and clean up after them. But I don't see what the size of the pack of badgers in my home has to do with the discussion at hand.

• AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    you'll have to take my badgers from my cold dead hams

• skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »

An%20Angry%20Badger.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Shouldn't be so hard, since the hams are already dead. . .