As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [Phall]ympic Games! - Cheater Victory!

• Options
    KilnagaKilnaga Registered User regular
    Kilnaga wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Also saber this was one of the most dramatastic phallas I've ever seen

Phalla Awards inc?

I think I have too many structural issues with it to consider it Phalla Award-y. I think teams needed a way to clean their own ranks somehow (like every other day the testing would have been honest or something). Obviously, then, archery would have had to be altered (like... moved to day 6). The marathon was just a dumb event overall, I think. All of the events should have been public.

Like for the marathon, post in the thread every hour instead or PMs. That way there would have been a public record for the event.

"The psychedelic mind is a higher dimensional mind, it is not fit for three dimensional space time."
    - Terence McKenna
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    @jdarksun:: yeah. you were a goose. which was how you pinged me as mafia. But.. there was no point in offing the mafia in the game. so eh.
    I clearly have issue separating personas. Being assigned a bad guy role doesn't mean I have to act like a bad guy. I think this happened in the EVO phalla, too.

trust me, i have many words that i would like to assign to this particular persona of yours but am unallowed to due to the glorious edict. I think your abrasiveness was one of the myriad of reasons that helped contribute to my absolute dislike for this game, which led to my fast disinterest.

you should work on that.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

Phalla Awards inc?

I think I have too many structural issues with it to consider it Phalla Award-y. I think teams needed a way to clean their own ranks somehow (like every other day the testing would have been honest or something). Obviously, then, archery would have had to be altered (like... moved to day 6). The marathon was just a dumb event overall, I think. All of the events should have been public.

Like for the marathon, post in the thread every hour instead or PMs. That way there would have been a public record for the event.

I was curious if this is what it was originally, but the mods killed it with the spamming queries from the balance beam event?

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular

Phalla Awards inc?

I think the public events were actually what made this not very phalla. This really was a game of diplomacy with unbalanced teams. As Alegis said, everyone (myself included) underestimated the value of the mafia kill, and underestimated them in general because of the huge inactivus early in the game. In reality, they were way overpowered, but that would have been fine if everyone were smart about it because it's a faction game.

This was essentially a full-information game (or at least it would have been if anyone would listen to me), which is really against the heart of what phalla is about.

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    @jdarksun:: yeah. you were a goose. which was how you pinged me as mafia. But.. there was no point in offing the mafia in the game. so eh.
    I clearly have issue separating personas. Being assigned a bad guy role doesn't mean I have to act like a bad guy. I think this happened in the EVO phalla, too.
    trust me, i have many words that i would like to assign to this particular persona of yours but am unallowed to due to the glorious edict. I think your abrasiveness was one of the myriad of reasons that helped contribute to my absolute dislike for this game, which led to my fast disinterest.

you should work on that.
    Hm. I don't feel like I can constructively respond to this without being defensive.

I'll buy you a beverage of your choice in Seattle in a couple weeks. Cheers?

• Options
    premiumpremium Registered User regular
    I still don't know why half of gumpy decided to change their votes off of OS on the night bluecyan got voted out. The worst part is that I was taken out that night so I couldn't bitch about it.

• Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    Infidel started working with Rend

Which means Infidel started working with the cheaters, because Rend was a puppet government controlled by the cheaters.

The cheaters were happy to obliterate the chances of other teams, because with their kill they could easy break Infidel apart once they were the only threat.
    Teaming up with another team when the other two gang up against you is a normal reaction.
    This.

Also, @Megafrost - I really regretting having to kill you. :( I really did want Team Rend to do well.

It was a tough game and I'm surprised we did as well as we did. I'd figured you were a cheater ever since you placed your vote on Obifett, but with the serious inactivity on the Rend board there was no way we were going to win without your help.

• Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    ALSO, I would totally have been more for cheater murdering if everyone hadn't jumped all over me for proposing that on like day 2.

@Vagrantwinds seemed to be the only one up for it.

sadly with these games it usually goes that if people actively fight against the mafia, they will lose (the mafia). But the people who fight against the mafia will also lose because it is a faction game and those who are playing more "FACTION! FACTION! FACTION!" will get an easy victory while riding on the heads of those who decide to play smart. So it's kinda lose lose. Something that happened to me first hand in Elementalists.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular

you should work on that.
    Hm. I don't feel like I can constructively respond to this without being defensive.

I'll buy you a beverage of your choice in Seattle in a couple weeks. Cheers?

Water is usually free, but your offer is accepted.

there were a lot of other thins going on with me last week, you were only a small grain of sand as part of a desert.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular

Phalla Awards inc?

I think the entire design of marathon should have been scrapped and replaced with a different game.

In general, players who can be frequently around a phalla thread already have an advantage over players who cannot. They are able to respond to what's happening and direct the flow of conversation. At the same time the fact that you do not have to watch it like a hawk is one of the reasons that phalla is a fun and accessible game. If they were going to be asked to do something like that often players like kime or ahava or Alegis who don't live in the same timezone as the majority of players would already be put at a great disadvantage, to say nothing of players who are often busy and have little time for the thread like T_A or REG Rysk. This is without even addressing the meta-issue of marathon rewarding physically unhealthy behaviour, which as a host you have to ask yourself if you are willing to ask players to do.

In general I think this game did not consider the wide range of regions that these forums allow enough. To make a very very simple example, imagine that I made a role whose power was "Your vote close is 5 minutes after the stated vote close."

Now imagine that I live on the West Coast of NA, choose a vote time that is convenient for me (The evening), and then give that role to Alegis. What the deuce is he going to do about that?

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I had fun watching this one from the sidelines. Things seemed to get a little hostile at some points, which was frowns. But hopefully everyone enjoyed it

• Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    If they were going to be asked to do something like that often players like kime or ahava or Alegis who don't live in the same timezone as the majority of players would already be put at a great disadvantage, to say nothing of players who are often busy and have little time for the thread like T_A or REG Rysk.
    Ironically, T_A took Gold in that event.

Which I feel needs to be called out: @The Anonymous, holy cow, that was an epic feat of gaming. I applaud your effort, sir.

Though I fully agree that Marathon was a bridge too far.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    I'm going to echo MrT sentiments, given how public some of the placement was (why bother having cover names). It also made the mafia much more powerful because they had a better idea of who to kill to improve their odds. Hell, we almost had a full information game but people chose to not trust MrT in addition to having some people's roles being unknown or not having a clear idea of how all the contestants placed in an event.

• Options
    Had the game not been restricted length, and had the purpose been to get rid of the cheaters primarily and then worry about medals, then i think it might have generated some more smoothness and slightly less apathy.

However, when getting rid of the cheaters was obviously not going to happen because getting the 4 teams to agree to much of anything and only really 1 kill for the 'village' to use as a collective whole, there was no point in even bothering to try to get rid of them.

So it became faction completely and totally, and while that might have been the design, it did not work very well as a phalla that still also included a mafia.

It was a neat idea! and had some interesting concepts with the 'events' but overall there were some minor design flaws that i could see.

anyway, i'm backing out of the thread now.

Thanks, Sabre for running. And TRV for doing whatever you did.

Until after Pax, maybe my dears.

Anybody wants to talk to me about anything, either @ me or PM me.

• Options
    This may be just me but one of the things I kind of found most unpleasant about this game was the whole "VOTE OUT THE WINNER" especially when some of the competitions required a bit of effort. I'm not sure how one would reconcile it. But I think there would be a lot less hostility if there was perhaps more privacy, less incentive to do such, or perhaps another mechanic altogether. Or else just make this a separate forum game altogether.

• Options
    MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Anyway, thanks for hosting Saber/TRV. I had a blast. My project wasn't quite as fun as what I had to do for Akimbo's arena mini, but I certainly got more satisfaction out of the results. I can't imagine all the work you put into this. Seriously impressed.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    There was often very little advantage to doing well in an event, which is pretty unintuitive from the strict standpoint of "a game".

e: Well, not so much "doing well" as "doing the best"

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    MegafrostMegafrost Leader of the Decepticons Registered User regular
    I will agree with others that some of the events were a bit much. In particular, the Marathon and Balance Beam. My serious string of interrupts on the Balance Beam was the result of my spamming refresh in the last couple of hours to try and keep them from approaching my team. And I didn't stand a chance at the Marathon when I had already made plans for the day that would involve me being nowhere near internet for 10 hours.

• Options
    Basically the reason that special roles are satisfying in regular phalla is that even if you can only get on for five minutes one day, if you make a good call about who to use your action on you feel really smart and like a total badass.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    I busted my ass to get to 10 blocks I think in the marathon. Then i saw that INANTP had 17 and only got 4th... I regretted even trying. I figure people had phones or something that could post on that i didn't.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    @Egos $ [at] I needed a name to post

Good points.

@SaberOverEasy, thanks for running this and @TheRoadVirus, thanks for helping saber out.

Saber if you run this again, besides addressing the points of the two I agreed with. The balance beam, 4x100 relay and marathon events probably should be redone or out right replaced (marathon).

Mill on
  • Options
    infidelia.png

aleginf.jpganiinf.gifcythinf.jpgdioinf.jpgegoinf.jpgeninf.pnglanglyinf.pngmatevinf.jpgstevinf.pngwarinf.jpg

soeinf.jpgroadinf.jpg
    EVEN THOUGH WE LOST, OUR MUSTACHES SHALL LIVE ON

• Options
    Basically the reason that special roles are satisfying in regular phalla is that even if you can only get on for five minutes one day, if you make a good call about who to use your action on you feel really smart and like a total badass.

Also to add on that a big contributor to apathy in players later on in the game probably stems from the fact that in your standard phalla game you still have the ability "vote for a mafia" but in this game there was not a village so~

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    I get an honorary mustache!?
    <3

• Options
    @MrTLicious I was kinda sad you weren't Team Infidel, because I wanted to make a B.A. Baracus Infidel

• Options
    adventfallsadventfalls Why would you wish to know? Registered User regular
    @jdarksun You're fine, but I'm prolly gonna take another break from phalla once Horrible is done. School and all.

It was really, really frustrating to watch the entire village take on a rival faction instead of the cheaters. Especially when the option was a gold medalist or a cheater who stood to gain from that guy dying. Honestly can't blame who was left on my team throwing up their hands and going 'fuck this'.

I like the events and how original they were, but I'm not sure this game was properly built for a mafia game. A faction game definitely, but not a mafia game.

NintendoID: AdventFalls 3DS Code: 3454-0237-6080
  • Options
    Yeah, removing the mafia probably should have been a minor victory for all of the village. Given the nature of the mafia kill & how guarding worked (yes, you could screw them out of a medal but at the same time they could kill a villager before the effects could happen), I don't know if the mafia would need buffs or not (probably would since MrT was able to identify them so quickly).

• Options
    There's no such thing as a minor victory in phalla. You either win, or you lose. A minor victory is a victory, just one the host is trying to make you feel not as good about.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    So how I would have structured this:

Totally re-worked the marathon. It's an iconic Olympic event and always closes things, so it should be included, but I would have made it... better. Not sure how yet.
    Moved archery to the mid/late game. Day 5 or day 6.
    Give every player the basic win condition of "preserve the integrity of the Phallympic Games" by voting out the cheaters.
    Turn the testing protocol into an actual testing protocol, but make it every other day. Like Rend/Infidel on odd days and Gumpy/B:L on even days.
    I like the idea of balance beam as a test of teamwork and what not, but things would be better if they had to be used over the course of the day for time zone/schedule fairness.
    Day one's event should have been the Phallympic Village Meet and Hook Up event. If you know what I mean. Softnetworking challenge where whoever gets the most real names from other people medals.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Softnetworking challenge where whoever gets the most real names from other people medals.

congratulations langly for winning ebum's reworked phallympics

:bz

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    Yeah - having the testing procedure be able to remove cheaters from your team would have been a great improvement. The balance would be like after hitting one cheater you can't test anymore, or only being able to test 2 or 3 times over the entire duration.

The strategy of only removing winners from events became the dominating strategy of the games, and not ferreting out mafia.

I had a good time up until marathon day. Overall, still thought this was a good game.

Thanks for hosting, saber!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • Options
    With balance beam what I would have done.
    -Each competitor is given two keywords that they need, in addition they must come up with two more words to use.
    -when the competitor starts their attempt they must use the at symbol in front of their name and include both the keywords they received and the two words they had to come up with.
    -All four required words must be underlined
    -The player gets a point for every additional post that include the at symbol in front of their name and includes one of the keywords given to them.
    -The player can only get one point for each unique poster.

For opposing players attempting to break the attempt they must
    -Include the at symbol in front of the name of the character they wish to push off the balance beam.
    -Must include 2 of the 4 underlined words from the initial mount post.
    -Both words used must be underlined.
    -The interrupt is only successful if both the underlined words are the non-keywords.
    -The player attempting to interrupt can not make back to back attempts and most wait for at least two other posters to post before attempting to another interrupt.

I admit this won't solve the timezone problem. It'll still force cooperation among team members and encourage opposing teams to coordinate. The only people that know how many points a competitor scored would be those who know that competitor's keywords, so that makes strategies of killing first place less effective (mafia still has the advantage). It also adds some risk reward for people attempting interrupts, you could help end up helping the guy instead of stopping them or you could get lucky and stop the attempt.

• Options
    InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    infidelia.png

aleginf.jpganiinf.gifcythinf.jpgdioinf.jpgegoinf.jpgeninf.pnglanglyinf.pngmatevinf.jpgstevinf.pngwarinf.jpg

soeinf.jpgroadinf.jpg

ahahahahaahahahaahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahahahahahaha

OrokosPA.png
  • Options
    AnialosAnialos Collies are love, Collies are life! Shadowbrook ColliesRegistered User regular
    Huzzah! I'll happily take an early fall for a late game win by my compatriots! I can only hope that my tussle with INANTP and MrT gave enough people second thoughts about following them to let my team pull this off.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Also, Saber

I am literally grudging you for marathon.

Eat shit.

You did your best, Team B:L.

And now I honor you the Team B:L way.

By showing you how it's done.
    kirboshell.png

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Was Team B:L the only team that actually kicked the cheaters out of their proboard? >_>

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Was Team B:L the only team that actually kicked the cheaters out of their proboard? >_>

I was going to. But others didn't seem to agree with me that it was Cythraul :|

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    Alegis wrote: »
    Just remember post-game how right I was and how much fools of a took you all were.

heh

Thanks for hosting Saber!

as for the game, had a lot of good parts especially at the start as I felt the typical faction dynamics shift a bit. In the end though I'm glad I didn't put in too much effort as I would guess it would have frustrated me to no end to have my gold/silver medal get eliminated by geese voting me out while mafia takes the crown. For the 'village factions' it more or less came down to placing underdog 4t/5th, hope the village factions actually band together against the mafias for the vote (because otherwise they win unchallenged) and then have the medals shift down to their place. Playing the activities the fullest and placing powerhouse 1st means an immediate loss, mafias can too easily shift that medal down. Probably some bonus/mechanic for teams eliminating their mafias would have helped.

But it's not like players weren't warned against the above scenario ... they were willfully ignorant / hoping someone else fixes their problems. This is what happens.

• Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular

I was going to. But others didn't seem to agree with me that it was Cythraul :|

FAIL

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    warbanwarban Who the Hoof do you think we are? Registered User regular
    infidelia.png

soeinf.jpgroadinf.jpg

Take all the awesome.

ACE ✰ PONY ✰ DETECTIVE!