As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Wrestling] Note: Brock Lesnar died on his way to his home planet

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I for one can't wait until guys like Triple H and the Rock and all of the attitude era guys just fucking stop wrestling. And I sure as hell wish people would stop running around yelling about how THEY NEED TO BRING BACK THIS GUY SO HE CAN GET THIS YOUNGER GUY OVER because that never fucking works. The guys that quit healthy quit healthy for a fucking reason and they aren't coming back to give fucking Curt Hawkins a push. And guys like Austin and Foley are legitimately lucky to still have the ability to walk. It is not worth their fucking health to get some young guy over.

There are vets that are still active wrestlers that can get new guys over. Hell, some of the new guys are capable of getting themselves over. Sandow hasn't had to pick a fight with fucking Rikishi to prove himself. Daniel Bryan spent half the year getting cheap wins and the other half losing and now he's one of the biggest heels on the roster, all without once having to fight a guy like Mick Foley.

And honestly, at this point what the hell would the point be in Austin/Punk? The biggest OH MY GOD THIS WOULD BE SO AWESOME BECAUSE reason was that Punk had the Straight Edge Society and Austin...drank a lot, right? Which is pointless now because Punk doesn't even talk about that anymore, because he doesn't need to. If Austin was in his prime, yeah, it'd probably be a great match. But it's been a decade since he's been healthy enough to do anything, and it's been longer since he's been at the top of his game. Let the man enjoy his fucking retirement.

• Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I genuinely couldn't have said anything I said better than Geebs did. That right there is a quality TOTP.

A friend posted this in SA, and I thought I'd share; this is the total number of major title changes in the year before WM
    2005-06 - 4
    2006-07 - 6
    2007-08 - 8
    2008-09 - 13
    2009-10 - 17
    2010-11 - 9
    2011-12 - 14
    2012+ - None since WM28

Sweeney Tom on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I genuinely couldn't have said anything I said better than Geebs did. That right there is a quality TOTP.

A friend posted this in SA, and I thought I'd share; this is the total number of major title changes in the year before WM
    2005-06 - 4
    2006-07 - 6
    2007-08 - 8
    2008-09 - 13
    2009-10 - 17
    2010-11 - 9
    2011-12 - 14
    2012+ - None since WM27

Shouldn't that be WM 28?

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • DoomSong8DoomSong8 Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The whole point is that it's a dream match that fans want to see. Whether there's any good reason they want to see it or not is pretty irrelevant. Austin and Punk both want to do it, the fans want to see it, and surely Vince wants the money that would come from it. That's kinda all that matters, far as I can see.

The "let the man enjoy his retirement" argument loses its weight a bit when the guy WANTS to do it. And if he didn't, he probably wouldn't keep teasing everyone about it on Twitter.

EDIT: Though it is worth noting I agree with the entire notion of not needing veteran stars to get people over, and I can't wait until WWE runs out of guys to bring back and are forced into building stars the correct way.

DoomSong8 on
    578991-5FHNJ36.jpg
    XBL:Gravity MD PSN:Gravity1204 Steam:Gravity1204
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    PPV rating, D+

Undercard was good to great. Two main events were mediocre.

Would have been raised to C+ with Charlie Sheen run in, and subsequent heart attack.

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I was enjoying it pretty much right up until the tag match at which point my brain shut off

For me, it was pretty average nothing special until the World title match. I still can't get over that finish, just like I can't get over the fact that Sheamus and Del Rio are at least decent wrestlers against everybody except each other, yet they keep continuing this feud.

Tag team match was pretty good, but all that stuff isn't what I'm paying 45 bucks for.

Summer Slam is supposed to be a big deal, and honestly, after all is said and done it felt more like an episode of Raw with a boring Lesnar match thrown in at the end.

• LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Yeah I'm really not getting the hate here, aside from the tag match I enjoyed every single match.

edited August 2012
    At least if it had been an episode of Raw, then I wouldn't have hated the abomination that was 5 minute long sad Hunter "he's done, guys" ending as much as I did because at least then I would have said to myself afterwards "I didn't pay $50 for this"

Sweeney Tom on
    I didn't even mind the "Hunter is done guys" shit if I didn't immediately think to myself, "if he is done, why wouldn't he just do this at Mania, when it would have made so much more sense".

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Punk vs Austin would have been a great mix of two very different personas. WWE All Stars stirred the pot a shit ton with their promos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lNDuMB9tt4

Psychotic One on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    Maybe this is just supposed to be the point where Hunter realizes he is no longer The Game, and retires from the ring? Sure he couldn't beat Taker at WM, but no one has. So he thinks after the shit with Lesnar that he still has it in him to win, so when he loses it is just a realization that he's done. That, or they ran short and had nothing to fill it with.

I'm just surprised that there were no real shenanigans in the HHH/Lesnar match. They make it a No DQ for... longer time out side the ring and an unnecessary low blow? Heyman never interferes, Shawn can't since he isn't there, Stephanie won't because that is really, really stupid... not even a damn sledge hammer. I think that part made me the most disappointed.

Overall, the match felt like we were watching someone play WWE '13. Just do a strong submission move over, and over, and over, then finally you hurt that limb enough and they tap out.

I am happy that I wasn't the only one hoping for a Taker appearance.

I'd give the PPV around a C. They had enough happening that surprised me and kept me interested, some good matches, and hopefully some good feuds/stories can come out of it. Though, like WrestleMania, Summer Slam is a big PPV and needs to step its game up, and I don't think it did.

• KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    Punk vs Austin would have been a great mix of two very different personas. WWE All Stars stirred the pot a shit ton with their promos

Austin works against Punk only when Punk is cultist heel. Punk is straight edge with a major "I'm better than you" attitude, and very controlling when he gets power. Austin is very anti-authority, very much about the boozing and so forth. They have very clashing personalities. Though, I think Cult Punk (with SES) would work in a feud against DX too. Anti-authority vs. cult super authority. And to be clear, I mean Attitude era DX, not cartoony modern DX. Modern DX is best left to Sandow interruptions.

• Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    We could get maybe Sandow vs Punk. The intellectual savior of the WWE vs The Straight Edge Savior who will show you that you are better than everyone else when you give up drugs and booze.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    the only wrestler who is allowed to come back to put people over is chris jericho because he is a solid worker who can mold himself to any feud

• PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    The worst part of that PPV is that I now have that terrible song stuck in my head.

Mwx884o.jpg
  • Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    The opening couple of locks ups into grapples for the Santino/Cesaro match were great. I wish the WWE style would allow for more of that because I eat it up. It looks more real, feels more tactical.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    For the most part I ejoyed the PPV. The tag team match was shit and having Sheamus win with cheap heel tactics was weird, but I enjoyed pretty much everything else.

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    So it looks like Punk vs Cena for Night of Champions. Hopefully it's Rock/Cena at the Rumble then Rock/Punk at Mania.

They want Rock/Cena II. And if they do that match they'll sure as hell save it for WM and not at the Rumble, especially when it can't be the main even because of the Rumble match.

The RR wasn't always at the top of the card; I bet The Rock's match goes above it. They'll probably play it like they used to, hyping "who will (RR winner) face at WrestleMania?"
    DoomSong8 wrote: »
    The "let the man enjoy his retirement" argument loses its weight a bit when the guy WANTS to do it. And if he didn't, he probably wouldn't keep teasing everyone about it on Twitter.

I think the term used for that is "playing to the marks." Whether Austin actually does that or not, I don't know.

Anyway, he missed Raw 1000 because of surgery... I wonder if whatever was worked on (forget what, too tired to look it up) would improve his chances of getting back in the ring?

Not pushing for it or against it, just saying.
    Maximum wrote: »
    I didn't even mind the "Hunter is done guys" shit if I didn't immediately think to myself, "if he is done, why wouldn't he just do this at Mania, when it would have made so much more sense".

This. Exactly this.
    The worst part of that PPV is that I now have that terrible song stuck in my head.

So don't give up
    Don't look down
    Cause this song is gonna stick around...

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • SpoochSpooch Registered User regular
    The last opponent HHH needs
    Punk needs to face Austin

Jesus wept the WWE doesn't NEED to do anything

Assuming direct control O-O
  • MichelanvaloMichelanvalo Registered User regular
    I feel like Summerslam against Brock Lesnar is a shit way for Triple H to finish his career. If he was done wrestling, it should have been Taker at Mania this year. I'm not sure who else is out there that he could finish against that would have this real deep meaning, but Brock's not it and we've already done the Undertaker thing twice.

With Austin/Punk, it'd be a neat thing to see if Austin was healthy. If he's not, and he isn't, then don't bother. It'd definitely be a match more about the spectacle than anything else. Plus, I think there's enough interest in ONE MORE MATCH for Austin that making the straight edge guy the opponent would work.

• Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    For the most part I ejoyed the PPV. The tag team match was shit and having Sheamus win with cheap heel tactics was weird, but I enjoyed pretty much everything else.

Everything they are doing with his character is weird.

Yeah I'm really not getting the hate here, aside from the tag match I enjoyed every single match.

It was missing something. The most exciting thing I can remember happening was Mysterio's Batman cape. He should just wear that from now on.
    8->

Hullis wrote: »
    the only wrestler who is allowed to come back to put people over is chris jericho because he is a solid worker who can mold himself to any feud

Especially because he's actually in good shape and not physically broken to the point he has to struggle to get up without kneepads

• Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    THE ROLL-UP

THE DEADLIEST MOVE IN WRESTLING
    Small package. Small package! SMALL PACKAGE!
    I thought the main event was really good. I thought the whole ppv was really good.
    Agreed, I'm not sure what the whining is about. Lesnar/Triple H was a surprisingly good match, made moreso because thank fucking god Triple H actually lost. I now hate Sheamus more than ever and this time, it seemed like it was actually on purpose. Though I'm guessing they actually thought that the crowd wouldn't turn on him there and would just cheer along, like they do every time he's a total dick. Bryan/Kane and Ziggler/Jericho were both good matches and Cesaro winning the US belt was awesome. Oh and there were no Ryback, Layla or Brodus matches. Good times.

Bad things? I didn't really care for Punk/Cena/Show at all, which is concerning since it's meant to be their big summer angle. The tag match was pretty blah. And the music act sucked and the crowd hated it.

Worst thing of all? Jerry fucking Lawler. I respect what he's accomplished in the ring but I hate him. He is the worst commentator in the universe. Even super douche 2011 Cole was better than him.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    So it looks like I'm getting Jericho/Ziggler, Rey/Miz, the triple threat, and Lesnar/HHH on my PSN account whenever they put Summerslam up there.

• Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    wirehead why do you want austin to die

Holy shit people. The match I'm envisioning with him and Punk doesn't have Austin taking one hard bump at all. Except MAYBE a stunner or two if you consider that a "hard" bump. It would be Austin punching and kicking Punk nearly to death. The whole thing would last like 10 minutes max. Yeesh.

edited August 2012

Holy shit people. The match I'm envisioning with him and Punk doesn't have Austin taking one hard bump at all. Except MAYBE a stunner or two if you consider that a "hard" bump. It would be Austin punching and kicking Punk nearly to death. The whole thing would last like 10 minutes max. Yeesh.

Oh cool. So now you want one of the three hottest wrestlers in the company basically getting squashed and having all of his momentum killed by a retired inactive redneck wrestler.

Sweeney Tom on
    The people wanting to see Austin's last match don't want to see him get his ass kicked. It wouldn't be a complete squash but Austin would win in the end.

First of all, if that match happens, Punk should win.

Second, I don't get why so many are bitching about the ending to Sheamus vs. Del Rio. Did you guys completely miss the part where Rio was the one trying to cheat? He tried and it backfired. The ending was him getting comeuppance. People are acting like they booked him to be some poor victim.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    hhh/lesnar was kinda boring as shit!

it was "brock lesnar works the arms" followed by "hhh works the diverticulitis" for way too long

Pretty much. Brock Lesnar's whole "I'm a UFC fighter" thing is kind of boring since it means all he ever does is strikes, shoulder barges and arm locks with a few throws. And HHH didn't do much better, mostly just kneeing Lesnar. Really boring match, to be honest.

As was the triple threat because the Big Show is also a boring wrestler and watching him dominate for the entire match basically meant we got to see plenty of "The Big Show lumbers around and slaps people a million times."

Best match by far was Jericho and Ziggler, because they are both actually cool wrestlers and Jericho got the win which he deserved (THE WALLS)

I don't get why so many are bitching about the ending to Sheamus vs. Del Rio. Did you guys completely miss the part where Rio was the one trying to cheat? He tried and it backfired. The ending was him getting comeuppance. People are acting like they booked him to be some poor victim.

Hitting him with the shoe was justified, that was comeuppance. Acknowledging that Del Rio was in the ropes but the ref didn't see it, then quickly pulling him away after the bell rang was just Sheamus being an asshole. Just like stealing Del Rio's car and shitting in it was both a crime and Sheamus being an asshole. I'm actually upset that they are continuing this feud, because neither man has anything to really gain from it. Best case scenario, Del Rio wins and immediately loses it to Ziggler via cash-in, or Sheamus reigns supreme until Ziggler cashes in. This feud is just making Sheamus's reign longer, and making Del Rio look worse and worse.

• Burden of ProofBurden of Proof You three boys picked a beautiful hill to die on. Registered User regular
    First of all, if that match happens, Punk should win.

Second, I don't get why so many are bitching about the ending to Sheamus vs. Del Rio. Did you guys completely miss the part where Rio was the one trying to cheat? He tried and it backfired. The ending was him getting comeuppance. People are acting like they booked him to be some poor victim.

The whole reason the match happened was because Sheamus "LOVES TO FIGHT, FELLA!", but having him win in that manner just makes it seem as if he wants to squeak by with his championship. Especially the part with him taking Del Rio's foot off the rope so the ref wouldn't see.

That's just my impression though, I'm not really upset or bitching. Couldn't care less about that match or who won it.

• I'm An Elk; Shoot MeI'm An Elk; Shoot Me It's Fiddler Crab Season! Registered User regular

Or Austin could just... show up at Wrestlemania and maybe get involved in something Punk's doing, and that way it's not a match that sounds as embarrassing and sad as you just described.

Maximum wrote: »

Well I mean Occam's Razor sort of applies here in that the obvious answer is of course Hunter isn't actually done.

Pretty sure Ziggler and maybe Barrett will be added to the WHT picture so I doubt they'll do another Sheamus/Del Rio one on one match anytime soon, at least on PPV.

WWE's Executive Vice President of Television Production Kevin Dunn reportedly "blew a gasket" during SummerSlam when Fred Durst of Limp Bizkit fame flipped the camera off. Some fans are reporting that their pay-per-view feeds were on a delay as Durst's middle finger was digitized.

I would have rather them pixelated the entirety of Fred Durst.

I don't really see why it's so hard to accept a character like Sheamus, who has always been a thug, intentionally dicking over a guy who was trying to dick him over. Or wrecking the car of the person who used his car to brutally assault him.

edited August 2012
    I didn’t mind the ending.

I just found it funny that Del Rio can take all sorts of punishment but when he gets hit on the head with a loafer he up and dies.

Maximum on
This discussion has been closed.