As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 Tabletop Tournaments (Board Games/Card Games/CCGs/Miniatures)

2»

• MrBlackchevyMrBlackchevy Registered User new member
    I understand that there are tons of games people want to play, but I'm still sad to see that I won't have the opportunity to defend my Agricola title this year! Consider this my vote to bring it back next year. :)

Thanks for organizing regardless!

• WoteWote TableTop Bowler Hat Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I would very, very seriously consider outright banning Fliers and Monstrous Creatures for 40k, or requiring some kind of list approval for the tournament. The guy who brings a couple of Night Scythes or Tervignons will pretty much ensure that the other guy has an autoloss and a crappy time, and both of those are pretty common elements of those lists.

We're taking this under advisement, thank you for the suggestion.

EDIT: Looks like we're going to limit things to one monstrous creature or flier per army. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Wote on
  • thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    Okay first time at Pax and just want to double check some info. If I want to sign up for the Small World tournament on Friday at 11am, I just need to head over to the Red Lion at 10am and sign up for it? I don't need to go to the Expo Hall or anything like that first?

badge.png
  • draco24draco24 Registered User regular
    Can anyone explain to me how the Munchkin Munchcathlon will work?

• LackeyLackey [E] PAX Tabletop Tournaments Registered User regular
    Okay first time at Pax and just want to double check some info. If I want to sign up for the Small World tournament on Friday at 11am, I just need to head over to the Red Lion at 10am and sign up for it? I don't need to go to the Expo Hall or anything like that first?

If you already have your badge, and don't need to go to Will Call/don't particularly care about the Swag Bags, then Correct!! Head right to the Red Lion at 10:00am and sign up at our tournament registration station/kiosk/table/thingie.

draco24 wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me how the Munchkin Munchcathlon will work?

This Munchcathlon will work like this:

There will be 10-12 four-player stations set up. Each station will use a different base game of Munchkin (e.g. Munchkin Zombies, Super Munchkin, Munchkin Bites, original Munchkin, Cthulhu Munchkin) and so on. After people are situated, we may have to ask a player or two to move to a different table, to fill as many full 4-player games as possible.

You'll play the version of Munchkin you are at, and when the game is over, you'll report your Level to our scorekeepers. You'll do this over 5 rounds, each time playing a different Version of Munchkin. At the end of 5 rounds, our winner will be whoever ends up closest to Level 50!

Obviously, you won't have a chance to play every version of Munchkin present - we simply can't ask players to play Munchkin for 11 hours...
    ... or could we ...

There are some more surprises, but you'll have to play to find out about those :)

The Munchcathlon event will follow the Munchkin Tournament Rules (2012 update), which can be obtained at: http://www.worldofmunchkin.com/tournament/

Regarding Promotional Items: We will be using the Plus-One rules for promos. Players must reveal all promotional items at the start of the game. Players are limited to a total number of items equal to the least held at their table, plus one. For example, if one player has two promotional items, no other player may use more than three.

• thedragongemthedragongem Registered User regular
    Lackey wrote: »

If you already have your badge, and don't need to go to Will Call/don't particularly care about the Swag Bags, then Correct!! Head right to the Red Lion at 10:00am and sign up at our tournament registration station/kiosk/table/thingie.

I do already have my badge...are the Swag Bags handed out in the Expo Hall so I have to wait in the queue room to get one?

badge.png
    I do already have my badge...are the Swag Bags handed out in the Expo Hall so I have to wait in the queue room to get one?
    I'm afraid I am not an authority on swag bags. Your best bet is to ask about them/look for info in the main FAQ thread.

I believe swag bags are handed out in the queue room. This year is slightly different, so I'm not entirely sure about the details.

• poodpood SeattleRegistered User regular
    Ca't wait to get my dominion on. Anyone play on isotropic?

• PAX_RPGA_CoordinatorPAX_RPGA_Coordinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    We'll be running two tournaments down in the lower level of the Annex/Conference Center.

Lords of Waterdeep Tournament - 2 Hours/Round
    Come try out the newest offering in the D&D board game line with Lords of Waterdeep! This Euro-style resource game casts the players as the Masked Lords of Waterdeep, each recruiting adventurers to complete various quests and achieve their own ends. The tournament consists of a 2-hour entry round, with the top 25 scoring players advancing to a 2-hour final round to determine the PAX Prime champion! Winner and finalists receive prizes.
    Entry Rounds – Fri: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, and 9pm / Sat: 11am, 1pm, 3pm, 5pm, 7pm, and 9pm
    Semi-Finals – Sun 11 am
    Finals – Sun 1 pm

Dungeon Command Open Tournament
    Test your mettle as you receive one Dungeon Command Faction Pack and go head-to-head against other players in this first ever convention tournament! Play as heroes from Heart of Cormyr or drow from Sting of Lolth and compete for fantastic prizes over 4 Swiss rounds of play. The top 4 players all receive a Tyranny of Goblins Faction Pack! (And if you don’t know how to play, you can learn the game throughout the weekend at the Dungeon Command demos in the same area.) Fee: $20
    Sun 11am-3pm

More details at our mini-site --
    https://sites.google.com/site/ddatpaxprime/

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
    PAX Prime Senior GM since 2007
    We'll be running two tournaments down in the lower level of the Annex/Conference Center.
    Robert, thanks for the info.

The Original Post has been updated to include these tournaments, along with links to the Cryptozoic (WoW TCG), and Magic: the Gathering tournament info.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    any clue WHERE the Magic:TG events are? at the WotC booth? or tabletop? I really want that place to be one of my first stops.

jCyyTSo.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    any clue WHERE the Magic:TG events are? at the WotC booth? or tabletop? I really want that place to be one of my first stops.

Annex, ground floor, I think.

It will be in the Conference Center. In the past it has been on what the official map calls it the Lower Level. This is the ground floor on Pike St. There is no guarantees they will do it in the same place, but it seems likely.

• jon-theBeardjon-theBeard SeattleRegistered User regular
    I am excited about the Zombie Dice tournament!

Magic events will be on the ground floor in the "annex" WSCC Conference Center. (The floor below it will be D&D/RPGA)

• MetroidHunter05MetroidHunter05 Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    So I am looking at the tabletop section under schedule and there are no listed events other then the mtg pc game.....is this a for sure thing no actual drafts or games being set up other then yu gi oh and pokemon card games?

MetroidHunter05 on
  • PAX_RPGA_CoordinatorPAX_RPGA_Coordinator Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    The full list of MTG events at PAX Prime 2012 are here:
    http://www.cascadegames.com/events/923

They have a ton of events. Here's the listing --

FRIDAY

Noon. Beginners League. $10. Randomly receive a special mono-color deck. 4 rounds. Booster pack prizes based on attendance.

12:30pm. 4-Pack Sealed Deck. $20. Receive 4 Magic 2013 booster packs and construct a 30-card deck. 4 rounds. First place wins a Magic 2013 regular set (may require a single elimination playoff).

1:30pm. Sealed Deck from Standard Packs. $30. Receive one booster from each of the following sets: Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia, Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored and build a 40-card sealed deck. First place wins a M13 uncut sheet (may require a single elimination playoff).

2:30pm. Standard. $10. Standard format. 4 rounds. First place wins a M13 uncut sheet.

3:30pm. Two-Headed Giant. $30 per team. Each two-player team receives 8 Magic 2013 booster packs to build two 40-card decks. 4 rounds. First place wins From the Vault: Legends for each player on the winning team; additional booster pack prizes based on attendance.

4:30pm. Legacy. $10. Legacy format. 4 rounds. First place wins a M13 uncut sheet.

6pm. Chase the Promos. $30. Receive 6 Magic 2013 boosters to build a 40-card deck. 4 rounds. All players each receive at least 1 promo card; prizes are based on points (promo card choices are limited to one of each different card available—no choosing duplicates) 12pts wins 4 promo cards & 4 Magic 2013 boosters; 9-11pts wins 2 promo cards & 2 Magic 2013 boosters; 6-8pts wins 1 promo card & 1 Magic 2013 booster.

Complementary entry for anyone with an exhibitor badge in Chase the promos.

7pm. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins a Magic 2013 foil set.

8pm. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins a Magic 2013 uncut sheet.

9pm. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins a Magic 2013 foil set.

10pm. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins a Magic 2013 uncut sheet.

SATURDAY

10am. 4-Pack Sealed Deck. $20. Receive 4 Magic 2013 booster packs and construct a 30-card deck. 4 rounds. First place wins a Magic 2013 regular set (may require a single elimination playoff).

11am. Blast from the Past - Sealed Deck. $30. Receive a Time Spiral tournament pack and 3 Magic 2013 Boosters packs and construct a 40 card deck. First place wins a M13 uncut sheet.

Noon. Standard. $10. Standard format. 4 rounds. First place wins a Dark Ascension regular set .

1pm. Sealed Deck from Standard Packs. $30. Receive one booster from each of the following sets: Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia, Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored and build a 40-card sealed deck. First place wins a Magic 2013 uncut sheet (may require a single elimination playoff).

2pm. Legacy. $10. Legacy format. 4 rounds. Booster packs prizes based on attendance.

3pm. Two-Headed Giant. $30 per team. Each two-player team receives 8 Magic 2013 booster packs to build two 40-card decks. 4 rounds. First place wins From the Vault: Legends for each player on the winning team; additional booster pack prizes based on attendance.

4pm. 4-Pack Sealed Deck. $20. Receive 4 Magic 2013 booster packs and construct a 30-card deck. 4 rounds. First place wins a Magic 2013 uncut sheet (may require a single elimination playoff).

5pm. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins an Avacyn Restored foil set.

6pm. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins a Magic 2013 foil set.

7pm. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins a M13 uncut sheet.

8pm. Sealed Deck from Standard Packs. $30. Receive one booster from each of the following sets: Scars of Mirrodin, Mirrodin Besieged, New Phyrexia, Innistrad, Dark Ascension, and Avacyn Restored and build a 40-card sealed deck. First place wins an Avacyn Restored foil set (may require a single elimination playoff).

9pm. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins a Magic 2013 uncut sheet.

SUNDAY

All Day Sunday – "Sunday Only" Booster Draft. $10. When eight players are registered, those players each receive 3 Magic boosters and draft. Single elimination. Pack prizes 1st = 6 packs, 2nd = 4 packs, and 3rd & 4th = 1 pack.

11am. 4-Pack Sealed Deck. $20. Receive 4 Magic 2013 booster packs and construct a 30-card deck. 4 rounds. First place wins a Magic 2013 foil set (may require a single elimination playoff).

Noon. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins a Magic 2013 uncut sheet.

1pm. Mini-master. $15. Receive 2 booster packs and lands of your choice to build a 30-card deck. Single elimination. After each round, the remaining players receive another booster to add to their decks; first place also wins an Avacyn Restored regular set.

2pm. 4-Pack Sealed Deck. $20. Receive 4 Magic 2013 booster packs and construct a 30-card deck. 4 rounds. First place wins a Magic 2013 uncut sheet (may require a single elimination playoff).

PAX_RPGA_Coordinator on
    Robert Altomare
    PAX Prime Senior GM since 2007
  • FlawlessSnakeFlawlessSnake Registered User regular
    Just to let you know I'll be bring my templars up to 3000pts have a three day pass so PM to setup a game. :O)

• Slipstream.ccSlipstream.cc Mill Creek, WARegistered User regular
    For the Tsuro Tournament (which sounds quick and fun), the description says "Top 2 players from each game in round 1 will advance to the Finals in Round 2". Does this mean that Round 1 and 2 are comprised within this block? I don't see Tsuro mentioned on any other part of the schedule, so just making sure.

I play Indoors | PAX's Attended: 07 08 09 10 12 13
    edited August 2012
    Correct. Both rounds occur during the same time block. This will be a nice, casual, low key way to end out our tournaments. And. psssst... Cuz I know you can keep a secret... Round two will be Tsuro of the Seas, with a really neat prize for the winner.

Lackey on
  • DesubotDesubot Registered User new member
    edited August 2012
    Are there any other rules for the 40k tournament?

Specifically I only own a 3rd edition tau codex with page copies from the 4th edition codex on things that I only use, as well as the current faqs.

Would this be allowed?

Desubot on
  • Slipstream.ccSlipstream.cc Mill Creek, WARegistered User regular
    Correct. Both rounds occur during the same time block. This will be a nice, casual, low key way to end out our tournaments. And. psssst... Cuz I know you can keep a secret... Round two will be Tsuro of the Seas, with a really neat prize for the winner.
    Sold! Thanks for the info.

I play Indoors | PAX's Attended: 07 08 09 10 12 13
  • altmannaltmann Registered User regular
    Why is it that every year the 40k tourney seems to be run by someone who's never played 40k. There are actually specific and fun rulesets for ~500pt games. (0-1 HQ) ( at least 1 troop) (0-1 elite/heavy/fast) and nothing with 3+ wounds or combined AV of 34+).

I get that it's supposed to be fun, but you are basically limiting it to 1 HQ 2 troops and some upgrades.

Imperator of the Gigahorse Jockeys.

"Oh what a day, what a LOVELY DAY!"

signature.png
  • DeliveratorDeliverator Registered User regular
    altmann wrote: »
    Why is it that every year the 40k tourney seems to be run by someone who's never played 40k. There are actually specific and fun rulesets for ~500pt games. (0-1 HQ) ( at least 1 troop) (0-1 elite/heavy/fast) and nothing with 3+ wounds or combined AV of 34+).

I get that it's supposed to be fun, but you are basically limiting it to 1 HQ 2 troops and some upgrades.

Hmm, well I've put together my army list, which includes 1 HQ, two troops, one elite squad, and two transports, plus a few upgrades. I take it this won't be a problem?

We chose this army composition, on the advice of experienced players, as a good introduction to structured play. We're not looking to do competitive play, these are introductory tournaments. I understand it could be less fun for the experienced player, but in the interest of new blood we're keeping it simple. I hope you understand.

I would be glad to hear suggestions for events after this Prime. PM me.

Hmm, well I've put together my army list, which includes 1 HQ, two troops, one elite squad, and two transports, plus a few upgrades. I take it this won't be a problem?

Sounds like a great list.

Desubot wrote: »
    Are there any other rules for the 40k tournament?

Specifically I only own a 3rd edition tau codex with page copies from the 4th edition codex on things that I only use, as well as the current faqs.

Would this be allowed?

I'm not entirely sure on this one. If the points line up, it should be fine, but you should really upgrade. GW will be on site, see if you can't pick up a new Codex.

Bring the list anyway, but show up early. If it's close, or can be modified slightly, should work just fine.

• JohnnyWasabiJohnnyWasabi Technical Director, inXile entertainment Tustin, CARegistered User regular
    Lackey wrote:
    Hi everyone!

I'm pleased to present the PAX Prime 2012 Tabletop Tournament Schedule!
    Let me know if you have any questions, and check this thread regularly as PAX approaches, for more specifics about these events.

Regards,
    Lackey
    PAX Prime Tabletop Deputy Manager - Tournaments
    Hi, I'm running what I can only describe as a "flash mob" style tournament for Barca. No pre-signup required, play any time. It runs the entire conference, but do play early for the best chance to win a free Barca game.
    I'm giving away several depending on participation level. Game boards available in lending libraries.
    Barca is a 2-player strategy game that is super easy to learn with a nifty movement dynamic that makes for interesting strategy. It's great fun!
    Here is the flyer for the tourney:
    2rF15.jpg

• NullzoneNullzone Registered User regular
    As one of the Enforcers responsible for these tournaments, thanks to all the attendees who participated! I hope everyone had fun. :)

This discussion has been closed.