As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Arkham Horror] The Tattered King: Investigator Steamroll Victory!

• Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
  • Options
    mi-go huntermi-go hunter Once again I'm back in the lab. Cleaning my knives, ready for stabs.Registered User regular
    MYTHOS PHASE:

Mythos66.png

A gate bumps on the Elder Sign!

However, two monsters still appear in Rivertown Streets...
    A Cultist and a Chthonian appear!

A clue appears in the Science Building.

Board update coming up.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    7815896998_f6a088e8bd_b.jpg
    GAME3UPDATE5 by konheong, on Flickr

Investigators may begin Upkeep and Movement!

Kate (@Cerberus) skips her Movement.
    Gloria (@Void Slayer) should roll for her Retainer.
    @caliber
    @Daemonis
    @Greenbarons
    @blahmcblah

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    DaemonisDaemonis Registered User regular
    If someone kills the cultist, I'll jump into the gate

• Options
    GreenbaronsGreenbarons CanadaRegistered User regular
    Move to East Street

Pete started to move back north toward East street. Suddenly from the sky fly the same horrific monster he had seen in the caves before! Pete dove into a bush as it floated high above him. After it had passed above him he jumped out of the bushes. A shadow crossed his path, a cloaked man on some sort of strange winged beast flew at him. Without thinking Pete pulled out his small dagger that he always kept with him. He plunged it into the beast as it flew past him. The man riding it flying off and crashing into a nearby tree with a loud crack! As the dust settled Pete could see that the mans neck was at a very akward angle. He had to get out of here before someone came to see this.

Sneaking the Cthonian

Sneaking the Cthonian. (5d6.hits(5)=1)(3 Sneak + 1 Dark Cloak +1 Sneak Modifier)

Attacking the Cultist

Attacking the Cultist. (6d6.hits(5)=2) (+4 fight, +4 enchanted dagger -2 Fight Modifier)

• Options
    I've just realized that Gloria has jumped through that gate already. Sorry, Pete, I'll do something else

• Options
    Daemonis wrote: »
    I've just realized that Gloria has jumped through that gate already. Sorry, Pete, I'll do something else

Well we needed to work some of the monsters on the board down anyway.

• Options
    CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    No changes for me.

• Options
    calibercaliber Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Upkeep: interest keeps accruing, +$1

As they turned down the street in his car, Eric noticed the lamp Jenny carried, and his eyes seemed to alight. "I know what that is!" he shouted excitedly. "We can stop it with that!" And before Jenny could voice a word of protest, tires squealed as they raced to Uptown streets.

Pulling into the streets, Eric parked the car and exited. Confused and a bit frightened, Jenny climbed out after him. "Eric, this is going too fast and my day has been too weird already. My psychic told me to be careful on Witch's Eve ..."

And then she saw it. The darkness that bubbled out of the streets, shadow given substance, roiling towards them. Jenny screamed but kept her wits about her. Goaded by Eric's frantic screaming about the lamp, she scrambled to where she had stashed it, spinning about and holding it forward as if it were some great talisman against evil. Somehow, it worked, and the boiling, malevolent shadow seemed to seep into the lamp, giving it a weight and a heft it hadn't possessed before.

Looking at Eric, Jenny's mouth hung open in shock, her mind struggling to process what she had just witnessed.

(For my own reference purposes, because I keep forgetting what I have ...)
    Stamina: 3
    Sanity: 4
    Money: $2
    Speed/Sneak: 5/1 (+2 from Eric Colt)
    Fight/Will: 3/3
    Lore/Luck: 4/3 (+1 from Luck)
    Clues: 1

Items: Shotgun (2h, +4 phys, 6's count double), Lucky Cigarette Case (discard, re-roll skill check), Curious Lamp (2h, +5 mag), Blue Watcher (2 stam + discard, auto pass combat or gate closure)
    Skills: Luck (+1 Luck, +1 die/clue on Luck rolls)
    Spells: Flesh Ward (-2 cast, 1 stam, exhaust, ignore all stam loss from 1 effect)
    Allies: Eric Colt (+2 Speed, nightmarish immunity)
    Trophies: Formless Spawn (2 toughness)

caliber on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    The heat from the twin suns beat down relentlessly. Sticking to the shade (Change Speed/Sneak to 1/3), Gloria struggled to recall every detail of the fantastic land. It was so much more vibrant then any vision, so much more terrifying being there in person. She was sure that they would pay her well for the story however (+$2 to $5, roll for retainer (2)Success).

The Solar Eclipse is still up and effects outer worlds right?

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    The Solar Eclipse is still up and effects outer worlds right?

That's right.

@Daemonis
    @blahmcblah

Active.

• Options
    Mandy looked at the axe in her hand.
    - I've met too many unnatural things. I need something better than that to confront them.
    Speed/Sneak slider to 3/3. Move to Curiositie Shope. Purchase.

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Fight/Will to 4/3.
    Move to Rivertown Streets.
    Time to do some Cthonian killin'. Horror check: Failed! I think it's worth spending the Research Materials to try to save my sanity: Failed again! Oh well. Combat check, with enchanted weapons: FAILED! Ouch, there goes 3 stamina. Round 2: FAILED AGAIN! I am not having quite as good luck this time. I end up at St. Mary's unless I get a re-roll on my last combat from Mandy. @Daemonis?

• Options
    Sure, finish that tentacle b@stard!

• Options
    blahmcblahblahmcblah You pick your side and you stick - you don't cut and run when things get ugly. Registered User regular
    Round 2 re-roll: SUCCESS!!! That special research did the trick! Thanks Mandy!

• Options
    And I totally forgot that Mandy's ability lets you re-roll the non-successes, so I should've only rolled 7, but my first 7 had the 2 successes I needed, so is that good, @mi-go hunter? I really should've asked for the re-roll on the first try at 2 successes. :P

• Options
    blahmcblah wrote: »
    And I totally forgot that Mandy's ability lets you re-roll the non-successes, so I should've only rolled 7, but my first 7 had the 2 successes I needed, so is that good, @mi-go hunter? I really should've asked for the re-roll on the first try at 2 successes. :P

Nah, no need. The behemoth lays dead at your feet and you claim it as a trophy!

Encounters will be up tomorrow.

• Options
    ARKHAM ENCOUNTERS:

Kate Winthrop in the Black Cave:
    You find an old book. If you read it, make a Lore (+0) check and consult the chart below:

Successes:
    0) Evil forces assault you. Lose 1 Sanity and 1 Stamina.
    1) You find the diary of a lost soul who died in the caves long ago. Lose 1 Sanity and gain 1 Clue token as you read his horrible tale.
    2+) The book is a spellbook. Take the first Tome from the Unique Item deck.

If you choose to read it, @Cerberus , make the check.

Mandy Thompson in the Curiositie Shoppe:
    Oliver Thomas has a dusty Cabala, the Flute of the Outer Gods, and a Silver Key.
    @Daemonis must purchase one item.

• Options
  • Options
    Mandy took the old book.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    OW Encounters:

Gloria Goldberg in the City of the Great Race Area 2:
    Choose between two encounters, @Void Slayer:

- A monster appears from the shadows!
    - You come across a sleeping horror with a tentacle draped across a small gold idol. Silence is of the essence as you attempt to gently ease the idol out from under the creature's pseudopod. Make a Sneak (-1) check. If you pass, gain $3. If you fail, lose 2 Stamina.

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    Attempt to sneak past the horror. Fail, down to 1 stamina.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    MYTHOS PHASE:

Mythos13.png

A RUMOR has appeared!

Due to Kate's SCIENCE, the gate does not open!
    An Activity marker is placed in Rivertown Streets.

Board coming.

• Options
  • Options
    That's a pretty bad rumor considering Hastur is powered by terror. But it's only a 1/3 chance every turn, so it gives us plenty of time to take care of it.

Move to Police Station.
    Turn in my monster trophies to become Deputy of Arkham!

(unless someone has a better idea)

• Options
    Speed/Sneak to 4/2

Move to the Science Building - Instead of an encounter trade the gate token in for 2 clue tokens.

• Options
    Move to HIbbs roadhouse.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    @caliber
    @Void Slayer
    @Daemonis

Active. Btw, please excuse me if I updates are slow this week (phalla!).

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    That's a pretty bad rumor considering Hastur is powered by terror. But it's only a 1/3 chance every turn, so it gives us plenty of time to take care of it.

Move to Police Station.

Bob receives a Deputy of Arkham Special card, the Deputy's Revolver, and the Patrol Wagon!

• Options
    Actually with 2 (hopefully 3) seals and SCIENCE! we might not have another gate opening for a couple of turns which means we will have at least 4-6 turns of rolls since none of us have 2 gates. Oh dear, the Ancient One's plan is coming together!

I know Mandy has enough clues to seal and grab her second gate, honestly we need to arm her and toss her through the next portal as quick as we can.

We are literally at the brink of a zombie apocalypse.

On that note, change my sliders to lore/luck 4/2 since I will be crawling out this turn.

Also +$2 to $7, Retain Retainer Roll (5)Pass

Well I did not get anything useful out of that whole ordeal except a spell I can not cast.

Move to Police Station.

Bob receives a Deputy of Arkham Special card, the Deputy's Revolver, and the Patrol Wagon!

Like the man needed More weapons.

Oh wait we all need more weapons.

Strategy time, should I forgo closing this gate so someone who already has one gate token can seal it instead and end the rumor faster?

• Options
    Logically we have 30 turns before game ends due to the terror level, dice depending, so I think you are safe to close the gate.
    I agree that we try and get Mandi through a gate ASAP, though anyone with a gate token will do to get rid of the rumour.
    I can also move to none gate locations to increase the chance of a gate turning up, and I have enough money to do some shopping so that fits quite nicely.

I'll have 6 clue tokens at the end of this turn so am well on the way to gate closing...

• Options
    Statistically we have like 17 turns till there is a real possibility of hitting 10 (2% chance)...

30d{0,0,1}

You know what I'll stop bothering with the statistical dice calculator. Though it was fun learning how to use it.

It's fine, lets just kill the rumor as quickly as possible.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Yeah, that's a nasty rumor when we've been sealing and science-ing away gates left and right so far. Not sure if it would be best to avoid closing that gate to let someone else grab a second gate trophy but might not be a good idea. Don't see a lot of good actions for me, actually, but anyway, turn ...

Upkeep: +$1, leave sliders as they are

The ... whatever vanquished, Jenny hastily got back into the square and told Eric to get her out of here, in no uncertain terms. Seemingly satisfied with their success, Eric turned the car around and headed cross-town, to a happier place. "We'll stop off at the square and relax a bit. With the darknes vanquished we can have a breather."

Move to Independence Square, take the clue, have an encounter.
    Money: $4
    Clues: 2

Items: Shotgun (2h, +4 phys, 6's count double), Lucky Cigarette Case (discard, re-roll skill check), Curious Lamp (2h, +5 mag), Blue Watcher (2 stam + discard, auto pass combat or gate closure)
    Spells: Flesh Ward (-2 cast, 1 stam, exhaust, ignore all stam loss from 1 effect)

Edit: Ah hah! That's how you do it!

caliber on
  • Options
    Mandy decided to return back to university and examine the book she just purchased.
    Speed/Sneak to 4/2, Lore/Luck to 4/0. Move to Miscatonic Unversity.
    She sat at a bench on the square and opened the book. After all those puzzles in the other world library, Cabala looked as easy as a comic book.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Statistically we have like 17 turns till there is a real possibility of hitting 10 (2% chance)...

30d{0,0,1}

You know what I'll stop bothering with the statistical dice calculator. Though it was fun learning how to use it.

It's fine, lets just kill the rumor as quickly as possible.

Do you think statistics matter in this game?

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Daemonis wrote: »
    Mandy decided to return back to university and examine the book she just purchased.
    Speed/Sneak to 4/2, Lore/Luck to 4/0. Move to Miscatonic Unversity.
    She sat at a bench on the square and opened the book. After all those puzzles in the other world library, Cabala looked as easy as a comic book.

Mandy Thompson (@Daemonis) receives the Lore skill!

Encounters will come later.

mi-go hunter on
  • Options
    ARKHAM ENCOUNTERS:

"Ashcan" Pete in Hibb's Roadhouse:
    A stranger buys you a drink. You may search the Common Item deck for a Whiskey card and take it.
    @Greenbarons receives yet another bottle of booze!

Jenny Barnes in Independence Square:
    There are gypsies camped in the park. Make a Luck (-1) check if you wish to interact with them. If you pass, an old man has spread several items on a blanket for sale. Draw 1 Unique Item and you may buy it for $1 less than the list price. If you fail, a hag comes up to you and tells you that death shadows you. You scoff at her and she cuts the side of your face with her fingernail, drawing blood. Lose 1 Stamina and you are Cursed.
    @caliber to decide whether to meet these gypsies. Right now, you have $5, not 2.

Gloria Goldberg in the Graveyard:
    @Void Slayer to close or seal the gate (if you want.)

• Options
    $5? Doing a recount I see where I messed up but I only arrive at $4. Still ...

As Jenny led Eric out into the Square, she spotted the troop of gypsies camped in the park. In acknowledgement of the day she'd been having, she tried to skirt around them when suddenly she found an old crone in her face, a dangerous looking knife dangling from her hip. For a split second Jenny was sure she would be the victim of another knife attack, when the now heavy lamp seemed to catch the hag's eye and a smile of yellowed teeth spread across her face. "One who opposes the darkness is a friend to the Roma. Come lady, come see what we have brought ..."

Failed on the Luck -1 test. Spent clue for two more dice, succeeded on second roll.
    Money: $4
    Clues: 1

• Options
    caliber wrote: »
    $5? Doing a recount I see where I messed up but I only arrive at $4. Still ...

The turn after you bought the Blue Watcher of the Pyramid, you did not gain $1. Anyway...

The old gypsy offers you a Healing Stone, but it is too expensive for you! Sorry @caliber... the Stone is discarded to the bottom of the deck.

• Options
    Revealing a faintly glowing stone, Jenny felt herself at peace simply seeing it. It was if all the ache and weariness of the world lifted from her shoulders. Looking to Eric, she could tell he was similarly affected. "Is it for sale?" she asked, desperate to have it at first glance.

Shaking her head, the old hag indicated it was not. "But never you mind that dearie. Come, sit, eat with us. You are safe while we are here, and the least we could do was provide you a meal ..."

Drat, nice item that. But ah well.