As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PRIME] First Time to PAX Prime? Have You First Timer Wisdom To Share? Inquire within...

• TraitoriousTraitorious Registered User regular
    ottergal wrote: »
    Target just opened a new store on 2nd between Pike and Union which is supposed to have a full floor of food and then a couple more floors of random things that you generally find in Targets. I haven't been there yet so can't give you a trip report but I'm going to guess they have coolers?
    Awesome! That'll be much better than the walk I took up to the QFC on Pike after I got in last year.

• CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Anyone looking to get business cards as a way to keep in contact with people, hit up vista print. I'm not too sure about their quality, but i just ordered 500 and a rubber stamp for less than $15

(order 250 free cards + free stamp, after order is confirmed you get an offer for a "bonus buy" of 250 additional cards for $4, free shipping)

-the card has almost every way to get in contact with me online, such as: skype, facebook, twitter, gamgertag, and even summoner name, even steam Id

-the stamp i'm planning on using if someone and i REALLY want to keep in contact as it has a personal e-mail address and even my personal phone number

Crogoth on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Vista Print has really good quality for good prices.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • InitialdorInitialdor Seattle's Carl Registered User regular
    This will be my 7th Prime; 3rd as Carl, and if you care as little about fitness as Carl does, then you are going to sweat throughout PAX. The convention center air is kept conditioned well enough, but if you like to wander the expo hall and take everything in, then you will easily walk over 10 miles for the weekend.

But to make sure we don't lose too much weight, here is my updated Fast Food Map. (I make these to help me decide what to eat; but sharing it went well last year...) The main focus is to find a fast/cheap lunch, but I've added more of the classier joints with help from the foodening thread.
    u1t2T.jpg

Legend:
    -Green is fast, Yellow is slower sit-down style, Red are the venues.
    -The fuzzy dots are places that I'm not exactly sure where the front door is located.

Clusters:
    -Capitol Hill (just outside the map to the northeast) has lots of great stuff, but be ready for an uphill hike.
    -Pike Place Market; real touristy, but a lot of gems in there... it's tough to go wrong even randomly.
    -Westlake Mall's food court is like any other mall in the U.S.; nothing special besides being fast.
    -Pacific Place is classier, but the restaurants change so often, I don't even know what's there now.

Notes:
    I left out that Pan-Asian place near Cyber Dogs; never heard anyone recommend it. MOD Pizza is slower than a fast food place, but it's fast for pizza and you can get to it by walking through the park out the rear door. Same goes for the other secret Subway down there :)

2018 West: Badges [x] TWDT [Rclaw TT] Cosplay: Still bald. Still single. Still lovin' it!
    "Fantasy football still counts as fantasy." -DnD Greg
  • jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    That map is fantastic, thanks for sharing! I found many of those places just wandering but a lot is new; like I didn't realize there was a Hard Rock Cafe 2 blocks from my hotel!

PimDtoK.png
  • CrogothCrogoth Registered User regular
    that map is going to prove to be amazingly helpful to first timers, i already have it saved onto my tablet for easy access =P thanks a lot :)

• Havoc0XBLHavoc0XBL Winslow, AZRegistered User new member
    Hey everyone! This is going to be my first PAX and I'm so excited to be there. I've read a lot about the Expo and I have been preparing for a while now.

Here are the things I will be bringing:

-Comfy shoes, obviously
    -Water, snacks, and hand sanitizer
    -Small video camera and my iPhone with Mophie charging case
    -Lots of cash
    -3DS and PS Vita
    -Astro Scout backpack
    -Sharpies (Black and Silver)

See you all in Seattle!

• ctiwolfctiwolf Registered User regular
    Havoc0XBL wrote: »
    Hey everyone! This is going to be my first PAX and I'm so excited to be there. I've read a lot about the Expo and I have been preparing for a while now.

Here are the things I will be bringing:

-Comfy shoes, obviously
    -Water, snacks, and hand sanitizer
    -Small video camera and my iPhone with Mophie charging case
    -Lots of cash
    -3DS and PS Vita
    -Astro Scout backpack
    -Sharpies (Black and Silver)

See you all in Seattle!

Just for all you that will be bringing 3ds and vitas, you probably want to bring a charger and 3ds users will want to clear there lobby all the time as they only hold ten people which takes a few minutes depending on we're you are

• LuckySeanLuckySean Registered User regular
    Hello all, I'm a bit late to the game as I got my pass off someone who couldn't go. I signed up for the Triwizard, I am sleeping on the floor of a friends hotel room and I brought some small dressy cosplay things which may expand in the following weeks coming to pax.

I want to know are there smaller PC/Console game tournaments not listed and how does one sign up and play in those? I plan on hitting up some panels and exploring as much as possible but I'd love to lose competitively in some games.

Also I know the rules about weapons on cosplay but I have holsters that I use as a wallet, that shouldn't be a problem right?

• phoophoo Registered User regular
    btw, for those intending to buy groceries we now have this (grar) city law where you will now be charged for any bags the store gives you. So either buy/bring your own reuseable bag, or don't be surprised by the .05 or .10 fee per bag. The store won't necessarily tell you about the charge. Not a big deal if you are only getting one of two bags, but it could add up if you are on a tight budget and you have to make multiple trips because you can't carry much. You can of course buy the bags once and save them. Just keep them away from the maid so she doesn't toss them. :)

• psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    phoo wrote: »
    btw, for those intending to buy groceries we now have this (grar) city law where you will now be charged for any bags the store gives you. So either buy/bring your own reuseable bag, or don't be surprised by the .05 or .10 fee per bag. The store won't necessarily tell you about the charge. Not a big deal if you are only getting one of two bags, but it could add up if you are on a tight budget and you have to make multiple trips because you can't carry much. You can of course buy the bags once and save them. Just keep them away from the maid so she doesn't toss them. :)

Thanks, I'll be bringing a few of my Wegmans reusable bags now.

Because the only way Seattle can get a bit more classier is with a Wegmans. #cultOfWegmans

“Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
    I put in my ballard address and they suggested that I should stop on by the West Eerie Wegman's. ;D You should expect food prices here to be a bit higher. Cost of living in Seattle is surprisingly a 93 (with NY being calibrated to 100). Housing is a good deal of that, but food and restaurant prices are definitely more, depending where you are coming from. I came up from Portland and it was certainly something to get used to. I used to joke that the landlords here could charge you $100/mo for a hole in the ground and $200 if they hung a curtain over the hole. And we suddenly stopped eating out. :)

• AFormalNerdAFormalNerd Registered User new member
    Honestly what I can say is the best and most important advice for any convention you go to is something I picked up from Uncle Kage who runs Anthrocon. It's the 6-2-1 rule and it will really save you from PAX ending in you feeling horrible. The basis of "6-2-1" is six hours of sleep, two square meals a day (minimum), and one shower. This will keep you happy and healthy and prevent "Con-Crud" like the epidemic we call the "Pax-Flu" which could only be described as swine flu on crack and was not fun believe me and everyone else that got it.

Along with this rule that will keep you healthy remember to keep yourself happy. As a 4 year PAX veteran I can say that although not the most important thing, planning may make your first or even return PAX experience more enjoyable. Go check out one of the apps for your smartphone(s) that will allow you to set timers and alerts for soon to start panels you wish to attend, get a map of the surrounding area, ask enforcers what lines are like at certain events, and if with a group try making an easy to find place into your meetup place in-case someone becomes lost and can't be reached. (For my group last year it was what we called the metal boob lady (to put it cleanly). You may also remember it as the massive Firefall statue at the main entrance. (>Insert joke about Firefall here ;-) )

Also if you need a quick snack you should remember that cookie brigade distributors like myself will be patrolling the floors with something tasty that'll make you happy and keep you going. Most of all though have fun guys(and girls) and I'll see you there!

th_cb053357487_e4b58467bb.jpg
  • ojiiojii Registered User regular
    this will be my first PAX (flying in from Switzerland) and regarding Uber I wanted to ask if you can take them from Sea-Tac too or if they're just a downtown thing.

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    There's a light rail that starts at the airport to and currently ends at a bus station 2-3 blocks from the convention center; only costs $2.75. I'd consider that if it's feasible.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    I know, been in Seattle before. I just really wanna try uber

• dporowskidporowski Registered User regular
    ojii wrote: »

I believe you can; friend of mine does it when he flies. That'll be a pricy trip though, ~50-60USD. However, if you're feeling like rolling up to the Convention Center in style...

• capnsanitycapnsanity Professional Awesomer Registered User regular
    This will be my very first year actually managing to go to PAX Prime and i was just wondering how much of the convention is actually in the convention center? I saw that apparently some of the panels and such are in other places like a hotel and possibly the paramount theater? I use a wheelchair to get around so i'm just wondering how much i'll have to push myself around to experience most of PAX, like the main theater and such? Thanks!

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    Main Theater is in the Paramount (which I saw you already asked about), Pegasus Theater is in the Sheraton, Red Lion has ~half of Tabletop stuff, and the Hyatt has Kraken Theater and and a couple exhibitor rooms. Everything else is in the WSCC proper or the Annex, which is accessible from the Expo Hall while it is open.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    I haven't been around downtown much, so I could very much be wrong. But *generally* the main streets that have been overhauled in semi-recent times have curb cuts, so that should help. I think downtown should be decent about it, though there are some really steep hills. I know you didn't ask about this, but I thought it might be helpful. You can use google terrain to get an idea of just how steep a given hill is. Some of them are pretty crazy steep.

• KevaduKevadu Registered User regular
    Yeah there are some big hills in Seattle, but the area immediately around the convention center and hotels is quite flat. That shouldn't really be a big issue. The sidewalks near the Paramount are kind of crappy, though I haven't really ever examined them from the perspective of somebody in a wheelchair so I'm sure off the top of my head if that's going to be a problem. However I think a lot of the main theater stuff is also going to be streamed to a room in the convention center if you don't mind not being there in person.

• capnsanitycapnsanity Professional Awesomer Registered User regular
    Yeah i've been to the area around the convention center for other conventions but none as quite as massive as PAX, So i'm thinking i might actually bring my power chair i also have instead of the manual chair so i can get around faster and easier and such...Just gotta make sure i don't run out of power haha

• DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    Kevadu wrote: »
    I think a lot of the main theater stuff is also going to be streamed to a room in the convention center if you don't mind not being there in person.

Yeah, if it seems like a problem the Wolfman Theater in the convention center (6th floor) is live-broadcasting the Main Theater when it isn't showing its own events.

• courtneyjcourtneyj Newcastle, WARegistered User regular

Uber has a flat rate of $50 for a car, $65 foran SUV between downtown Seattle and Sea-Tac. They list it on their Seattle pricing page http://www.uber.com/cities/seattle

courtneyj wrote: »

Uber has a flat rate of $50 for a car, $65 foran SUV between downtown Seattle and Sea-Tac. They list it on their Seattle pricing page http://www.uber.com/cities/seattle

thank you!

• aludrachaosaludrachaos Registered User regular
    Do most vendors at PAX accept credit cards? I plan on buying some merch, a board game or two, and a bunch of dice, so how much cash should I exchange before heading over the border from Canada?

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Do most vendors at PAX accept credit cards? I plan on buying some merch, a board game or two, and a bunch of dice, so how much cash should I exchange before heading over the border from Canada?

"Most" is hard to say.
    More each year are taking cards, but the safest bet is definitely cash.

Each year I plan to bring about $100 cash for shirts and things, but I don't know how much you're planning on buying.
    I would guess that many of the boardgame vendors are probably going to take cards, but I have no solid info for it.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular

Any specific places you're interested in. Steve Jackson Games took Credit card last year I'd imagine they would again this year.
    The Merch booth takes cards too. (If that helps in your calculus.)

• BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited August 2012
    Its fairly safe to assume any actual full time vendors (PA merch, game stores, Geek Chic, etc) or major companies selling things (Behemoth, Rooster Teeth, etc) will take cards. Where its more questionable is any small indie's selling things or in band land. There they might or night not. I personally usually bring a couple hundred in cash for the weekend just in case, and use the card where I can. That being said many booths will have separate "cash" and "card" lines, and one might be shorter then the other, so good to have both available. I often don't end up using all the cash.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • aludrachaosaludrachaos Registered User regular
    Alright, thanks for the answers. Mighty helpful.

• Xtian80Xtian80 Registered User regular
    So I did a search, I read all the posts in this thread, and I even started a thread which apparently got deleted by the admins, all to ask...what time of Friday are people going to start lining up in the queue room? I like to spend time in the line talking to people and what not, but also wouldn't mind being close to the front this year. So what time??

• jukkakhanjukkakhan Registered User regular
    Xtian80 wrote: »
    So I did a search, I read all the posts in this thread, and I even started a thread which apparently got deleted by the admins, all to ask...what time of Friday are people going to start lining up in the queue room? I like to spend time in the line talking to people and what not, but also wouldn't mind being close to the front this year. So what time??

Queue Room should be open at 8

PimDtoK.png
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod

Your thread got merged. Try checking your post history... It got merged into the FAQ, where it was answered already.

• digitaldimsumdigitaldimsum Registered User regular
    phoo wrote: »

More than likely PAX vendors will be giving out tote bags so that shouldn't be an issue for the plastic bag ban we have in Seattle

zerzhul wrote: »

Your thread got merged. Try checking your post history... It got merged into the FAQ, where it was answered already.

OK well, when I checked yesterday a couple hours after I made the post, it didn't show up as me ever making a post. Sorry. Hope I didn't ruin anyones foruming with my post

• olanmillsolanmills Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    More than likely PAX vendors will be giving out tote bags so that shouldn't be an issue for the plastic bag ban we have in Seattle

The tote bags aren't really great for groceries though, depending on how much you're buying.

olanmills on
    VmUq7mz.png
  • Wraith90Wraith90 Saskatoon, SkRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Reading this forum it sounds like people are about evenly split between a backpack or a messenger bag. I have the ability to bring either and the real question in my mind seems to be, how much swag would we expect to acquire on a given day? This is my first pax and do you usually get a lot of bulky items or smaller things like pens and stickers?

Edit: Also, what do you suggest is the best item to have with you to get signed? Preferably something Pax 12 related. Do they have programs or something at the pax merch booth that would be appropriate?

Wraith90 on
  • tsrblketsrblke Registered User regular
    Wraith90 wrote: »
    Reading this forum it sounds like people are about evenly split between a backpack or a messenger bag. I have the ability to bring either and the real question in my mind seems to be, how much swag would we expect to acquire on a given day? This is my first pax and do you usually get a lot of bulky items or smaller things like pens and stickers?

Edit: Also, what do you suggest is the best item to have with you to get signed? Preferably something Pax 12 related. Do they have programs or something at the pax merch booth that would be appropriate?

I got several Swag posters last year, which mad ethe backpacking hard.
    On the signing, assuming things don't change you get a PAX guidebook with the swag bags which would fulfill your wishes, also your badge is year specific. Someone will likely correct me on this, but IIRC the only PAX[Year] specirfic things at the merch booth were t-shirts and the expensive headphones set. (I say that becauase last year was my first pax and in my "gotta collect all the swag for memories!" mode I don't recall buying anything else at the merch booth.)

FWIW, I didn't go to the PAX signing last year, but when they came through STL for the book siging my wife and I brought prints of our favorite comics (although it's likely too late for that.) In case you're wondering, mine is the "Greater internet Dickwad Theory" and it hangs above my desk (well did, before the move, I'm too lazy to hange it back up right now.)

Wraith90 wrote: »

There usually isn't a TON of bulky swag to get every day. The biggest thing that you get regularly is T-shirts, but yeah, you can collect a lot of those in one day. Most of the rest is smaller items. Pens, keychains, mouse pads, that sort of thing.

As for getting stuff signed, it depends on who is doing the signing in my experience (which is 6 PAX's) most of the bigger names will have something right there that they will sign for you, like Adam Sessler, Wil Wheaton, Felicia Day, last year they all had pictures that they were signing for everyone so it didn't matter if you had something or not.

• vespachicavespachica SeattleRegistered User regular
    I may have missed this in the thread so forgive me if I'm repeating, but my parents decided to take a trip this year instead of going camping with my little one, so any advice on taking a 6.5 year old? She's super into games, actually, so I have no doubt she'll have a great time. I am local, so relaxing in a hotel room is not an option.

ufq9gj8383nh.png

This discussion has been closed.